top100_2016

Guangzhou Airport

"international arrival is so limited"

(China)

The place for international arrival is so limited, small and the sign is not apparent. Nobody will check your plane ticket to ensure that you have take you baggage and when I was focusing my phone and missed the place to taking baggage, that I had to wait my friend to help me take that. I think the arrival place before the customs check should have a sign to remind the people about this.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"too expensive for the quality"

(Philippines)

Delayed, cancelled and rerouted. After transiting this airport, I've experienced everything. Always due to "bad weather" even if the sky is perfectly clear. Food in restaurants are too expensive for the quality. Very few choices, mostly local dishes available
Date VisitJuly 2016

"always feels warm and humid"

Overall Guangzhou airport is good - it looks modern and spacious. The VIP Lounge could improve -it's too crowded and small and sometimes there are no seats. The food I can't complain about and the Wifi is fine. The airport is too hot - the AC is not cool enough and always feels warm and humid.
Date VisitJune 2016

"nothing was open till 7am"

(New Zealand)

This was my second time at Guangzhou airport and a very different experience. The first time all of the shops and restaurants were open, but this time we landed in the middle of the night and nothing was open till 7am - 2 hours later. I spent my time walking around, it's not a huge airport so nervous travellers don't have to fear getting lost. The only place to get a drink was from the free water coolers which also dispense hot water, it is therefore a good idea to have a water bottle as there were not many eating places open and it was impossible to understand how much the food and drink prices were. There were plenty of seats for waiting but nowhere to lie down or recline except the floor - even the VIP lounges were locked closed. When you arrive, the transit staff are very good at directing you to the right areas and speak good English. If your onward flight is more than 8 hours you will be given a free hotel room and transport to and from but I have not taken this option personally. Once the shops open you will find that all prices are in local currency and it is very difficult to understand what the price is in relation to your own - everything has to be paid in local currency as far as I could see. I think the airport is missing a trick here at least if they gave the U.S. equivalent most people could then understand what they would be paying. I did not see anyone exchanging money or buying anything. Although not the greatest airport it's not the worst to spend 2 or 3 hours and well worth it as CS is a cheap and great airline to access Australia and New Zealand - just go prepared with your water bottle or a thermos flask.
Date VisitMay 2016

"would avoid this airport if possible"

Verified Review | Arrived from LAX on a China Southern A380 Super Jumbo with 500 hundred other passengers. Transiting CAN to REP. There was a single customs agent for all international coach passengers and the airports inside temperature was 37 F, 3 C (no heat anywhere in the airport). Since there were no shops to buy clothing, my wife and I just shivered quietly on the floor waiting for the happy moment that we could depart. I would avoid this airport if at all possible. Plan for long delays and bring warm clothing in your carry-on. I've also heard there is no AC in summer. We transited there again on our return from Siem Reap, this time with winter jackets in hand and we also ran to the customs area so we would beat the line.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"horrible 18 hour transit"

Horrible 18 hour transit in Guangzhou - long queues and local customers cut in. Ignored at the helpdesk and very unfriendly staff - nobody wants to help. Tried everything to log on to the WiFi. Hardly any staff speak English. If they really want to be an international airport they have to change. Never again.

"absolute chaos reigns"

Absolute chaos reigns at this excuse for an airport. Airport staff, security staff and police cannot speak reasonable English so foreigners are left to do the best that they can. Also the traveller experience is that you are left to yourself to negotiate the place because the signage is hopeless, signs send you one way, then just stop in mid-air to leave you stranded trying to guess which way to go. On arrival at the ground floor, you are sent upstairs to immigration and security and then sent down to ground level to access aircraft, why? All this should be on the same level. The shops on the ground floor don't have customers, they are all upstairs, a weird situation. Entry doors off the driveway are called "Gates", they aren't, they are "Entrys". I guess that the airport authorities are trying to make out that they run an international airport, sorry you run a brain bending maze. Try and avoid this place unless you have high tolerance levels.
Date VisitMay 2016

"food courts very pricey"

Guangzhou airport is new but the design and management are both poor. Parked at a remote stand far away from the terminal. All passengers had to catch a bus to the terminal and we went through a long, dark hallway and upstairs to pick up luggage. We had to wait a time for immigration - the officers were cold and the same at customs. Had to walk a long way to the taxis. On departure I found out the food courts were very pricey and the food quality was pretty average.
Date VisitMarch 2016

"food prices really expensive"

Guangzhou Airport is a little like going back in time 15 years. I had an 8-hour transfer stop at CAN, and it was brutal. Definitely do what you can to avoid using this airport. Where I was, there were only two restaurants, both overpriced and dodgy. I ate at 'Blendz' cafe, which at least has free wifi. Customers were asking me the exchange rate in disbelief - I assured them they were correct and the prices really were that expensive. They serve weird sandwiches with the crust removed - the ham was very processed. I tried to kill some time at the stores but the staff in the store made that difficult as they stand right next to you as you browse. The customs lines are long and inefficient. If you have to go to Guangzhou airport, I hope you are good at meditation.
Date VisitApril 2016

"clean and comfortable"

I've seen some poor reviews for Guangzhou (CAN) and I must say I found nothing to justify them. It is a bit unfortunate that at a newer airport there is the need to take a bus to/from the aircraft some times, but a very minor inconvenience and handled very efficiently. The airport itself is quite clean. I had a 5 hour layover at the beginning of my trip and a 7.5 hour layover on the return portion and while there are not a ton of amenities, there is definitely enough. I want to point out as well that I have seen several reviewers be upset about the fact that all of the seating has armrest, making it impossible to lie down. To me this is absolutely ridiculous, and shows the ignorance of some travelers. Of course they don't want people lying down and taking up 3 or 4 seats. All of the gates are used on a regular basis. If you need to lie down, throw a jacket on the floor and lie there. There are plenty of tucked away corners or areas behind amenities that are very quiet. That's what I did and had no issues. Got a few hours of sleep in fact. For international transfers there are 2 main wings of gates and I found the A01-A115 gate wing to be a much more comfortable temperature. For some reason the other wing is kept a few degrees cooler and it's a bit too cold. There is a Starbucks in the cooler wing though, so worth the walk if you're a coffee drinker or simply want a sandwich (which were very good). The warmer wing does have a Blenz coffee, but not much offered for food in Blenz. Both wings have several Chinese food restaurants and some convenience stores. Overall, a fairly basic airport, but clean and comfortable and had no issues with asking directions/questions from the mostly China Southern staff.
Date VisitApril 2016