Guangzhou Airport

"4 hours waiting for our visa"

Not Verified | We arrived at Guangzhou to spend over 4 hours waiting for our visa. Really bad conditions with one man dealing with so many. I blame the government immigration Dept. Each person we asked what was happening spoke very little English if any, we spent over 40 mins travelling by bus to the gate at the terminal to have this long wait. When we finally got our visa we went to the transit desk for our hotel booking there again no one spoke English. When we asked where the hotels were in the city no one could tell us, there were no maps to have to look at, just no help whatsoever it's almost that the Chinese don't want visitors in their country. Leaving LA on return the same again only this time we were late leaving waiting for cargo to be loaded long enough to watch a complete movie, arriving once again the long long wait sitting on the floor in the cold. Arriving in Cairns one bag missing for 4 days. Never again will I travel or recommend China Southern.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"queuing time was extremely short"

Trip Verified | Guangzhou Baiyun airport is pretty nice. There were special decorations inside the airport, which were beautiful. There was also a culture corridor that has records of historical events, significant individuals and landmarks. The signs in the terminal give clear instruction in both Chinese and English as to where you need to go for what. The queuing time was extremely short, which was a surprise. The terminal, including the bathroom was extremely clean. The seating at the terminal was a little bit limited. The food and beverage provided at the airport were fantastic, though very expensive. There was limited shops in the terminal. The staff that I have encountered were all friendly, though some does not speak English at all. The airport's Wifi is very fast, though it does need verification before you can connect to it.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"Airport signage is poorly put together"

Not Verified | This was the first time we have flown with China Southern. The selling point was the cheaper airfare featuring free airport hotel for passengers with an 8 hour transit and above. We thought that would be a great rest after such a long flight from Amsterdam. Upon arrival, there were barely any detailed signs to explain the process that we had to endure. There was only 1 customer service member on behalf of China Southern who explained in bits and pieces, that we fill a temporary visa application form followed by "take a number" sticker. He was only able to take 10-15 passports at a time which lasts up to 2 hours per call. The Custom Officers took their time to process our passports. Even after a few of us who had our passports back to go, we were stopped and had to wait again because our visas were not signed off properly. Thereafter, we rushed around looking for the hotel accommodation counter in the airport, which sends us up and down escalators as the Airport signage is poorly put together. We then had to wait around for a bus to take us to a hotel of our choice. We arrived at Guangzhou airport at 7am and did not get into a hotel until 12.30pm.

"less than expectation"

Trip Verified | Less than expectation for a Tier 1 Chinese City International Airport. Still long way to go for an International Airport Standard. Totally not recommended for transit or international arrival of departures. Would still be pretty average for a domestic Chinese Airport, Shanghai Hongqiao is a far better Chinese domestic airport with better terminal, shopping and dining options.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"still lacks some fundamental facilities"

Trip Verified | The Airport at Guangzhou though modernised still lacks some fundamental facilities for passengers. There is a long wait for security clearance, and the ground staff are not adequately trained to advise passengers of the various clearance procedures. The Airport signage is complex and needs to be reviewed. Ground staff performance very poor.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"absolutely no facilities whatsoever"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | The most terrible airport with the worst staff and absolutely no facilities whatsoever. I made the terrible mistake of travelling through China Southern Airlines and had a transit at Guangzhou Airport for 13 hours. Under usual circumstances, a passenger with stay of >8 hours is given a hotel as per the airline policy however it is not true. Airport staff declined and did not issue transit visas. I had to spend 13 hours at the airport with limited wifi, no recliners or proper chairs. More so, the money exchange does not even accept any currency other that USD and none of the lounges accept card payment. Food is overpriced and even their McDonalds is strange with only 4 combos on the menu to choose from, nothing else at all. Worst experience. Never going back.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"few employees speak English"

Not Verified | Very few employees can speak English. I realize not everyone does, but there are so many tourist and if they want visitors, they need to speak some. The employees are rude! Told me there was no where to eat. I had a long layover. I was able to find a restaurant that charged me $30 USD for 2 small bowls of noodles. The gift shop wanted $16 USD for a bag of M&M’s. Unfortunately I didn’t get a visa to go in to the City. I hope I never have a layover here again.

"dirty, old and so hot"

(New Zealand)

Unverified | Arriving mid-morning from Amsterdam we found ourselves waiting for over 2 hours to get through customs for our “Visa Free” 2-night stay. There were just 2 customs officials on for hordes of arriving passengers with maybe 10 others just standing around behind these 2. When we were but 2 away from the counters they put another one official. The female official my partner approached for all to hear yelled “give me your passport hurry!” The “where is you visa, why are you here, quickly!!” At this time, I was up with an official next who was laughing at the treatment my partner was receiving from this screaming female. My officer asked to see our departing ticket and I advised that my partner had my ticket out of the country currently showing the other official. He proceeded to ask for this from his colleague who screamed “they should have two copies” and to my partner “give this to him now!” We were both appalled by the treatment we received for no other reason than we had to wait over 2 hours to get through customs. What a way to start our shopping trip in Guangzhou. Had we a choice we would have jumped on the next plane home rather than stay. Perhaps this swayed our opinion otherwise but the airport was dirty, mostly very old and so hot! Our flight home was delayed 3 hours due to apparent “weather conditions” which was interesting as after doing an internet search I found no untoward weather conditions anywhere on route. The airport incredibly hot once again. I hope never to have to return!
Date VisitAugust 2017

"great shopping varieties"

(China)

Verified Review | Singapore to Shanghai Hongqiao round trip transit in Guangzhou. I was surprised that despite my first leg was delayed for both ways and left me less than an hour for my connection, I managed to make it on time. The ground staff drives a vehicle to send transit passengers (international to domestic and domestic to international). Because of this, I did not have time to explore the airport, but I suppose it is a great airport in terms of ground services and shopping varieties.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"Just not acceptable"

Unverified | Arrived from Sydney, 2nd July at 6pm. Had a 6 hour layover, which was fine. Boarded flight bound for Amsterdam on time at 11.15pm. Advised by cabin crew of one hour delay due to weather. I am an airplane person and do not accept this explanation. No further advice until takeoff at 6.00am. There was a near riot on the plane which resulted in police removing one passenger. I noted that there were a number of arrivals during this time, but no departures. I'm aware that the Chinese Air Force regularly close the airspace for their own needs. Not sure if this was the cause or not. I do note that flying recommenced at daylight, which seems a little suspicious, and made me wonder if the delay was down to a systems failure of navaids at the airport. I will not now consider any flights routing through China in the future, and I believe that many others are probably coming to the same conclusion. A six-hour on board delay is shocking, and more so when there is no indication of why or how long one will be on the aircraft. In the end the passengers were on this aircraft for 19 hours between boarding and arrival in Amsterdam, and there are other flights that boarded earlier that were bound for long-haul destinations, that would have fared worse. Just not acceptable.
Date VisitJuly 2017