Guangzhou Airport

"don't trust the people that work there"

Trip Verified | I flew from Amsterdam to Guangzhou with a 7.5 hour layover with China Southern. Before traveling I tried to find information about showers and lounges that you could enter without a membership and found many contradicting information. If you transfer internationally there is a Premium Lounge that allows you to pay for a 3 hour entry, this lounge has food, drinks, showers and bathrooms, it was comfortable and has great working wifi. Other than the terrible wifi in the airport. I paid about 37€ for 3 hours, and then decided to pay again cause I wanted to stay another 2 hours, which was fine. It got a bit busier later during the day, in the morning it was empty. Side note: Before going up to the Premium lounge I asked the lady at the information desk about showers and/or lounges where you could pay for one visit. She told me there were no showers and no lounges that allowed that. Her desk was right next to the lounge I went to. So don't trust the people that work there, they either don't know or don't care. I flew from AMS-CAN and CAN-AKL, and another NZ Domestic flight with Air NZ. I was allowed 2 Checked baggage. Carry on was suppose to be 5KG one piece, but I had a Trolley which weighed more than 10KG and a small backpack, this was fine and it didn't get checked. Hope this helps someone.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"ample seating in the waiting areas"

Trip Verified | The new terminal T2 is bigger and so walk times are much more. There are separate transit facilities for transit passengers. The immigration formalities were fast and smooth. The security check was also fast and smooth. There was ample seating in the waiting areas. No lounge facility was available since it is still under construction. Wifi got connected but there was no internet data. Shopping avenues are very few due to the newness of the terminal. Be prepared to walk a lot to your boarding gates.
Date VisitJune 2018

"Friendly staff"

Trip Verified | Friendly staff and easy immigration but most of them cannot understand and speak English well. At that time it's a little bit humid. Hot and cold water is available. Clean restrooms but no bidet.
Date VisitMay 2018

"Everything works efficiently"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | One of the more efficient airports I know. Everything works efficiently and cleanly, arranged with conspicuous and clear signage. The staff does its work efficiently, even if there is a queue, the queue is moving quickly. Both Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 are arranged for those coming and going. Despite the large dimensions it is easy to get from place to place. Only one weak point WIFI is weak and difficult to surf (probably because of the large number of users). Pronounced clear, clean services. Transportation to and from The airport is convenient for many taxis, bus and metro.
Date VisitMay 2018

"Needs air-conditioning"

Trip Verified | Connected twice in March for international connections. Pros - Big, spacious airport with plenty of retail and restaurants. Cons - Very hot and humid. Even at 8am. Needs air-conditioning. Slow customs, many shops (McDonalds) don't take cards or android/apple pay. Expensive - Paid over $10 for coffee and $8 for a croissant, no "To-Go" food options in terminal A. Could not find any readymade items. I did order a sandwich but after 20 min gave up because it was the final boarding call. Bathroom was being used as a smoking area. It was hard to use with all the cigarette smoke in the bathroom. Internet Kiosk that allows you a code after a passport scan had a broken printer. (Both times coming and going). China Southern flights and service were great, but airport was not as easy to navigate as ICN, HKG or SIN.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"avoid at any cost"

Not Verified | This airport was a stop over for me and my partner when we traveled to Thailand. It is by far one of the worst airports I have ever visited in my life. I’ll start with immigration, they are abrupt and pushy, highly unpleasant and do not even entertain or acknowledge you other than to point at you or shout loudly if you haven’t got something quite right. Once through the cattle herd of immigration your through to departures. It’s here where this wonderful airport really comes to life. The staff who work there are just rude and expect you to move for them like they are some sort of godly beings. They only have one volume level which is loud, really really loud. It’s as if they are constantly shouting or arguing with one another. God forbid you need any essentials whilst your there as you cannot purchase anything as the shops are just full of random bits and bobs and panda jumpers. The McDonald’s doesn’t sell burgers which is just bizarre so we went for a coffee in Coffee Benz I believe it was called where we were looked at like we had three heads. No please or thankyous. Nothing. If you aren’t Chinese they are just down right rude to you. But if you are Chinese you can basically behave however you please. The seating areas are out dated and extremely uncomfortable to the point it was comfier to sit on the carpeted floor, which by the way are filthy. It’s just not the place to get you in the holiday vibe. Avoid at any cost where possible. I will not return to this airport and I’ll ensure that anyone I know avoids it too.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"4 hours waiting for our visa"

Not Verified | We arrived at Guangzhou to spend over 4 hours waiting for our visa. Really bad conditions with one man dealing with so many. I blame the government immigration Dept. Each person we asked what was happening spoke very little English if any, we spent over 40 mins travelling by bus to the gate at the terminal to have this long wait. When we finally got our visa we went to the transit desk for our hotel booking there again no one spoke English. When we asked where the hotels were in the city no one could tell us, there were no maps to have to look at, just no help whatsoever it's almost that the Chinese don't want visitors in their country. Leaving LA on return the same again only this time we were late leaving waiting for cargo to be loaded long enough to watch a complete movie, arriving once again the long long wait sitting on the floor in the cold. Arriving in Cairns one bag missing for 4 days. Never again will I travel or recommend China Southern.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"queuing time was extremely short"

Trip Verified | Guangzhou Baiyun airport is pretty nice. There were special decorations inside the airport, which were beautiful. There was also a culture corridor that has records of historical events, significant individuals and landmarks. The signs in the terminal give clear instruction in both Chinese and English as to where you need to go for what. The queuing time was extremely short, which was a surprise. The terminal, including the bathroom was extremely clean. The seating at the terminal was a little bit limited. The food and beverage provided at the airport were fantastic, though very expensive. There was limited shops in the terminal. The staff that I have encountered were all friendly, though some does not speak English at all. The airport's Wifi is very fast, though it does need verification before you can connect to it.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"Airport signage is poorly put together"

Not Verified | This was the first time we have flown with China Southern. The selling point was the cheaper airfare featuring free airport hotel for passengers with an 8 hour transit and above. We thought that would be a great rest after such a long flight from Amsterdam. Upon arrival, there were barely any detailed signs to explain the process that we had to endure. There was only 1 customer service member on behalf of China Southern who explained in bits and pieces, that we fill a temporary visa application form followed by "take a number" sticker. He was only able to take 10-15 passports at a time which lasts up to 2 hours per call. The Custom Officers took their time to process our passports. Even after a few of us who had our passports back to go, we were stopped and had to wait again because our visas were not signed off properly. Thereafter, we rushed around looking for the hotel accommodation counter in the airport, which sends us up and down escalators as the Airport signage is poorly put together. We then had to wait around for a bus to take us to a hotel of our choice. We arrived at Guangzhou airport at 7am and did not get into a hotel until 12.30pm.

"less than expectation"

Trip Verified | Less than expectation for a Tier 1 Chinese City International Airport. Still long way to go for an International Airport Standard. Totally not recommended for transit or international arrival of departures. Would still be pretty average for a domestic Chinese Airport, Shanghai Hongqiao is a far better Chinese domestic airport with better terminal, shopping and dining options.