Vote Now

Gold Coast Airport

"airport is a shambles for transit passengers"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | This airport is a shambles for transit passengers. Indications and the area to separate arrivals and transit passengers would be minimal for the passengers on an A320 or a smaller 737. They are quite inadequate for an A320 where most of the passengers are in transit. On my recent Air Asia flight passengers were advised on the aircraft that transit passengers shoyld follow the TRANSIT signs. In the queue for the transit securty check an airport worker? Also shouted in English and pointed to the arrivals snd transit queues. In the security check area several arriving passengers were identified as being in the wrong queue. A family speaking tamil who took considerable time during the security vheck were only identified as arrivals when they reached the boarding check. I can understand their confusion but regret the delay they caused me. At the arrival/transit queue we were told again only verbally by an airport worker that the toilets next to the security queue were the only toilets available. This appeared to be recognition that the security check was so slow that there would be no time left for a toilet visit before we had to board the plane.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"a real shambles"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | Gold Coast is inadequate and can not cope with international transit passengers. Arrived on an Air Asia flight from KL bound for Auckland - with 1 hour on the ground in Gold Coast. We encountered a number of issues. 1) after getting off the plane, we had to stand on the tarmac for 10 minutes in the hot sun (no air bridges at Gold Coast). That was because departing passengers were walking out to their plane, and the pathways of departing and arriving passengers cross each other with no mixing allowed. A real shambles. 2) the international transit lounge is tiny and only holds a few passengers. We had to stand in a corridor for 30 minutes, and could not move until they started re-boarding again. In this situation its only natural that people get out their phones to check message and mail. But, no! We had Border Security personnel threatening passengers with $365 fines for using their mobile phones! 3) water. We were told to take all our personal belongings off the plane. Many passengers had bottles of Air Asia water (which they had purchased on the plane). Of course going through the transit lounge there is a security check and no water allowed. There were dozens of water bottles thrown away this day. Gold Coast may be okay as a domestic airport, but is no way designed to be an international airport that can handle flights any bigger than a 737/A320. Its an embarrassment for overseas visitors.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"understaffed, overcrowded and inefficient"

I'm a regular at Gold Coast airport and travel thru about twice a month. The airport is grossly under size for the volume of traffic and overcrowded throughout the terminal even at off-peak times. There are long wait queues at check-in and also frequent long waits through security. Today, it was difficult to find a table to enjoy a snack while we farewelled our family to NZ. Usually, after complaints there is a short lived period that things improve, followed by even longer waits. At security there are often only 2 or 3 lines open when there should be 5. Although upgraded only a few years ago it is a sad place. There's the usual array of tacky souvenir shops and overpriced boutiques. Parking is a nightmare particularly at the long stay section when it is common to see a dozen vehicles cruising around waiting for a spot. Badly managed, understaffed, overcrowded and inefficient the Gold Coast deserves better. Even the wifi is still at dial up speeds. At best 2/10.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"should plan for a short stay parking"

In 2018, Gold Coast Airport will be inundated with visitors from all over the globe but today, I had the misfortune to encounter a poorly trained and somewhat defensive airport employee at the arrivals kerb. The sign states "No Parking" but it is not physically possible to open the boot of my car unless I park. How was the individual arriving supposed to put his suitcase into my vehicle? There was ample room for me to park for a short period. Gold Coast Airport should plan for a short stay parking area for arrivals.
Date VisitJune 2016

"extremely slow security"

(New Zealand)

Extremely slow security and domestic and international departures in one location. Virgin lounge very basic, small and overcrowded. For such a busy airport one would expect international departures to be seperate from domestic with dedicated options for business class.
Date VisitJune 2016

"perfect little airport"

(New Caledonia)

Gold Coast Airport is small but very functional. Plenty of seating, bright and very welcoming. My arrival and baggage delivery were fast and smooth, I was out the door less than 20 min after landing. Perfect little airport, especially when you arrive for holidays.
Date VisitNovember 2015

Gold Coast Airport customer review

I am from Singapore, travelling SIN to Gold Coast. I hold the new biometric passport and read on the website that Singapore citizens no longer need to use the standard immigration queue to clear. When queuing there is no sign indicating standard and express clearance - one staff member walked around inviting all NZ and Aus passport holders to use e-smart clearance when there are actually many other nationalities that can also use this. I had no choice but to queue, once at the front I went straight to do the e-smart clearance and it worked fine. Wasted my time queuing - all Singapore passport holders, do not queue, just go to the front and use e-smart.
Date VisitOctober 2015

"Fantastic Little Airport"

Fantastic Little Airport. Arrived from MEL for a weeks holiday and the airport was a breeze bags came out quickly and easy walk to the hire car place. On the return check in was easy in fact our queue was shorter than the online check-in one. Walked straight through security no line at all. Being as interested as I am in planes I was delighted to see a row of tables along the window as the charging station which was free to use. I did see a baggage driver loose a surfboard off the cart by making a sharp turn! Boarding was via the stairs as there are no aerobridges even for the wide bodies, which could be troublesome in wet weather or people with wheelchairs etc. Took off on time though.
Date VisitSeptember 2015

Gold Coast Airport customer review

Wearing a knee brace I went through about half a dozen international airport security and always got a bit more attention for this, but it never was a big issue. Normally this is solved with an individual scan and tapping. Not so in Gold Coast airport. The whole line was closed, I was brought to a separate room and had to let my pants down - down the door was opened repeatedly and people could see me standing there. They didnt even close it for long moments. The 4 people searching and questioning me behaved well and polite, even though appearing quite incompetent, the responsible officer did not know how to spell the word "brace" in his report and there seemed to be a lot of confusion about how to proceed. When I tried to get my possessions back from the security, where it stayed save while I got special attention, a woman yelled at me to stay away from my stuff, even tho I asked politely for it and did not make any approach to grab it. I was treated like a criminal in front of everybody by this very aggressive person, which was ridiculous, unnecessary and embarrassing. In the future I will go via Brisbane and take the bus.
Date VisitAugust 2015

(Cambodia)

I'm a 70 year old American senior citizen and arrived at Gold Coast Airport from Kuala Lumper for my first trip to Australia. On entering the customs area I noticed it was very crowded with just a few customs agents working like mad and a bunch of customs agents just standing around. I was one of the few westerners in line with most people from Asia. After going through customs I retrieved my bags and was accosted by a customs agent and directed to a long table where they took everything out of my bags, unpacked everything and forced me to open my computer. I felt very threatened and intimidated. I was the only one they did this to. Some way to be welcomed to Australia for the first time.
Date VisitMarch 2015