Vote Now

Glasgow Airport

"What a welcome to Scotland!"

Verified Review | We travelled to Dubai, Perth WA, Sydney NSW Australia, Singapore airports over the previous 7 weeks starting 5th January 2017. Each airport was immaculate, customs and passport control slick with no delays. Airport staff were polite and welcoming. Easy check in and collection of baggage. Leaving from Glasgow airport was pleasant enough. The same cannot be said about our return to Glasgow airport from the Dubai flight evening of 19th February. We were taken off the plane onto the tarmac in the pouring rain. We then had to join an extremely long queue for passport control. Eventually cold and tired, having stood in this queue for what felt like forever, we were greeted by a member of airport staff constantly shouting down the queue to "put of your mobile phones". What a welcome to Scotland! It was embarrassing to see and hear. Thankfully I am a native of Scotland but what a first impression of our beautiful country for a tourist. After the great treatment and courtesy shown to us on our travels through much bigger and busier airports I could not believe how poor customer service was here. Glasgow airport - take an example of these other great airports and step up to the mark.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"amateurish in its approach"

Arrived into Glasgow off an Emirates flight EK 025 at 6.50pm. International flights from Amsterdam and Malaga had arrived before us. At passport control a huge queue over 100m in length - took 30 mins to get through. Spoke to the person who was possibly meant to be organising the queues - "maybe flights arrived close to one another" - that's what happens at airports! Then out into the shambles that is the car park - the only car park where incoming and outgoing traffic share the same routes - another 30 minutes to get out of there. Utterly pathetic Glasgow Airport - amateurish in its approach to arriving passengers.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"efficient, quick and polite"

Check in on Emirates was slick and quick. Security was efficient, quick and polite. Plenty of eating options airside, though they were typically airport over-priced. Departures was still pretty crowded early afternoon, which would usually be a quieter time of the day. Arrivals was fine, with a 5 minute wait in Immigration late morning and a further 10 minute wait for the Baggage, no complaints there. All in all Glasgow is a much better experience than most of the airports I fly from when travelling with Emirates.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"Staff helpful and pleasant"

Fast process through security. Staff helpful and pleasant. Good choice of eating places. Very clean except for the toliets at the easyJet departure lounge although the mess was in a few cubicles caused by customers. Sink areas spotless. Plenty seats and good information given on flights.
Date VisitOctober 2016

"ridiculously slow for such a small airport"

Departure is fine, except for terminal 2 which is a long walk from the drop off point and then back to security. However the worst thing about Glasgow airport, in my 30 plus years experience is the baggage return area. They are ridiculously slow for such a small airport. No staff on hand to explain what's happening. Last time we waited 45 min after arriving 5 min early at 12.05 am. I wonder if they are working with parking company who charge for picking up at the airport. . Cost my son £10.00 to collect us because of the delay in baggage arrival. Minimum charge is £2.00. Exiting the car park / pick up area is an absolute nightmare. God help any tourists visiting Glasgow airport. Very poor arrivals experience.
Date VisitOctober 2016

"one and a half hours to get your luggage"

Arrived at Glasgow Airport from Orlando this morning, the flight was early all going well and then we got to the baggage hall, what a disgraceful performance, one and a half hours to get your luggage. We began to wonder if anyone was working. I tried to get a telephone number to complain but surprise surprise no one available except an 0844 that led to an electronic voice.
Date VisitOctober 2016

"confronted with a long steep staircase"

Verified Review | I fly between Canada and Glasgow at least once a year and have travelled extensively to numerous destinations across the world. Among the many airports I have flown through, 10 last year alone, Glasgow rates around average for speedy check-in, baggage pickup times and security queues. The great downfall of Glasgow airport strikes me anew each time I deplane from Canada with my carryon baggage only to be confronted with a long steep staircase to be negotiated before proceeding to the Baggage Reclaim area. Each time I ask myself Why? Why is an escalator or elevator option not offered? It strikes me as baffling and absurd that, in this respect, Glasgow cannot compete with the third world airports I have travelled through. Is it an oversight? Do I really have to ask for wheelchair servce to avoid this staircase in the future?
Date VisitAugust 2016

"they don't just use the rules"

(Chile)

Verified Review | I had a rotten experience in the security line yesterday all because my ziplock back with liquids was bigger than the bags provided. I have since learned online (gov.uk) that the requirement is a "resealable plastic bag, which holds no more than a litre and measures approximately 20cm x 20cm”. Mine is 22cm x 22cm. Not content with confiscating a couple of items which would not fit in the bag provided, the staff member then told other passengers that the hold up was my fault because I hadn't done what I was asked and he then went on to humiliate me further by starting an argument about whether I had read the instructions. I think an approximately right-sized plastic bag half empty is well within the spirit of the law. I can also say that last month I travelled from GLA to Spain using exactly the same bag with no questions asked. I arrived home to Chile today to find that last month the security staff at GLA confiscated a snow globe from my wife because it contained too much liquid. I don't know how they made this determination. The globe was bought in the airport shop. Too many of the GLA security staff seem to enjoy being nasty and unhelpful. They don't just use the rules. On a different point, I think it is totally unacceptable that passengers are made to walk to aircraft steps in the rain with no provision of shelter, not even umbrellas. Glasgow airport is much worse than many I have used.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"not a baggage trolley in sight"

I note Glasgow Airport proudly propogates no charges at drop off. I would suggest to the management that they don't even consider it. Having dropped off my daughter and her husband and three children at the chaotic drop off facility, today at 12.54pm, I was aware that there was not a baggage trolley in sight in the Trolley Bays, the whole length towards the Terminal. I was directed across the busy road to obtain one from Car Park 1 but alas there were no trolleys on the lower floor. It came to me that maybe they are delaying charging for drop off, as it is more profitable to them and Police Scotland to have people wandering about aimlessly looking for trolleys whilst incurring Parking Fines.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"good service and the right attitude"

My 80+ year old parents were helped through security at Glasgow airport by one of the Airport Ambassadors and this contributed significantly to my parents' smooth travels. It is a shortcoming of the system at Glasgow that (by contrast to, for example, Edinburgh) it is only possible to purchase a fast-track pass for security if you are purchasing parking at the same time. My parents weren't needing to park a car, and as a result they weren't able to purchase a fast track on its own. So this could be sorted. However this is not to be taken as a complaint - good service and the right attitude by staff will generally always make up for any shortcomings.
Date VisitJuly 2016