Geneva Airport

"the most inefficient airport"

Verified Review | Geneva is my home airport for past 5 years. It is without doubt the most inefficient airport with the rudest uncaring staff. Completely unorganised and without doubt one of the worst in the European region. You feel like its controlled by an old fashioned regime. Really wish I could avoid it.

"it only gets worse"

Verified Review | I have been flying in and out of Geneva for over two years now and it only gets worse. Endless lines for check in, even longer lines for security checks, delays due to saturation for inbound and outbound flights. Not enough food vendors and therefore more lines, not enough and dirty bathrooms. Overall an experience to be dreaded more and more every time I have to fly anywhere.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"Staff are incredibly unfriendly"

Unverified | This is one awful airport. Failed to find parking space on two occasions, missing flight both times. Staff are incredibly unfriendly with little/no exception. The toilets are disgusting and I even witnessed the cleanser pushing the happy smiley face button on the customer survey. Payment for trolleys is required, car park closes at night, no decent places to eat. Unfortunately this is all too typically Swiss, only happy when they are taking money off you and provide very poor service.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"Overall an unpleasant experience"

Verified Review | 45 minutes to drop off baggage at Easyjet desk and then another 40 minutes to go through security and passport control. Staff are ignorant (Starbucks and Easyjet gate staff especially so) and toilets smell like they've not been cleaned for weeks. Very little seating airside plus they don't announce gates until around 45 to 60 minutes prior to flights in order to keep you spending money in the shops and restaurants. Overall an unpleasant experience. Would recommend if your visit Switzerland to use Zurich airport. There's little or no waiting, it's clean and it's efficient - exactly what you'd expect from a Swiss airport. Even it extends your transfer to your final deatination by an hour or two, you'll save the time at the airport and of course it's less stressful.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"Poor and confusing signage"

Verified Review | Poor and confusing signage. Insufficient staff to assist at automated baggage drop counter. Difficult to access the internet without going to special places that are not easy to find. In general the airline and security staff were very kind and helpful. But the airport led to more frustration than I normally experience with airports all over the world. An information desk staff person was unsmiling and impatient and did not even come to the counter or say bonjour but instead, he saw me looking at signs and arrows directing to a "pink machine" for a wifi code. I could not see a pink machine. He reached over to the counter, lifted and set down sharply a counter sign on the desk. His facial expression conveyed irritation. I still could not see any "pink machine" and he pointed his finger sharply across the way (certainly not in the direction of the arrows). No smile, greeting or words at all. He walked away. There was no one else at the desk and no one else waiting. I'm sorry to say that I lost my patience at that point and said to him "you could try a smile, you are rude." He then pompously and quite nastily said "I am not rude, you are in a bad mood." This was by then certainly true, and I'm sorry to say it escalated from there until we both walked away. I was actually in a pretty good mood until well into my airport experience, but I became increasingly stressed and then lost all patience when I encountered this unhelpful and unpleasant information desk staff person. He was seemingly poorly trained. This is the one of the most difficult airports I have experienced in many years of frequent travel in many parts of the world but I have never before encountered anything but courtesy at an information desk. I could find no place to provide feedback for the airport.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"staff were efficient and helpful"

Unverified | I have to admit I was dreading using Geneva airport after reading the reviews. We flew with Easyjet from Manchester and our outward flight was delayed by nearly two hours. Our arrival into Geneva airport was problem free and we were soon out of the airport and on a train bound for Lucerne. Our return flight was at 21.50 so we got to the airport at 18.30 as I had told my husband that we could be queueing for hours. We weren't allowed to drop off the bags until 19.00 but had to wait about 5 minutes in a queue, we had paid for Speedy Boarding but even the normal queue was very small. So far so good! We went through security without having to wait and then found a quiet area near the executive lounges with plenty of seating and free wifi. We then went to our allotted gate, B34, and had a short wait at passport control. All the staff we dealt with were friendly and helpful. Our flight left a few minutes early, the only problem being the crazy amount of carry-on luggage people had taken which couldn't all be accommodated in the overhead lockers. I can only think that the timing of our flight made all the difference as it turned out to be one of the easiest flight we have taken. There was plenty of available seating at airport, everywhere was very clean and staff were efficient and helpful.

"Very little signposting"

Unverified | Arrived at Geneva airport and had to wait over an hour to get through immigration. Hired a car from there which to return was incredibly stressful. Very little signposting and surly staff. Going home again took for ever going through security and even by airport standards the cost of food was extortionate. Can't think of one positive thing to say about it. It was such a relief to get back to Heathrow where everything was so much better and modern.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"no employees directing traffic"

Verified Review | Unbelievably bad. Worst airport I've ever been to. On Sunday July 30 my husband and I arrived two hours early to catch a 12.55 flight to Munich. The departure terminal was absolutely packed with people queuing for flights. The line for Star Alliance flights (including Lufthansa) stretched across the building before feeding into a massive serpentine. There were no employees directing traffic. There was no information. There were just hordes of increasingly stressed people, including many families, all wondering what they would have to do to catch their flights. We stood in the queue for 40 minutes just to reach the beginning of the serpentine, where we realized that there was no prayer of even checking our bags before our flight's departure - to say nothing of security or passport control. So we gave up and walked across the way to the train station, where we spend $423 on train tickets to Salzburg, which we had to reach that night. We'd already used the first half of our Lufthansa tickets getting to Geneva (holiday in the Alps), so it wasn't a total loss, but still, what a stupid waste of time. Apparently the baggage system had broken, hence the disastrous check-in situation. Up toward the front of the queue there were just mounds of suitcases - I gave them terrible odds of reaching their destinations with their passengers. This is the very first time I've been literally unable to use an airline ticket that I'd purchased. Using my Lufthansa ticket would have required several hours standing in line, missing the flight, being rebooked, god only knows. I have never experienced such an awful airport. There was no way to know we were even standing in the correct queue. There were no employees offering assistance or even information. It was just an absolute disaster. To think, before this experience, if I'd had to guess which airport was the world's most efficient, I might well have suggested Geneva. No. Worst ever.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"not the best airport experience"

Unverified | Not a great airport experience. If you've hired a car to drive into France from a hire company in the French sector its a bit of a pain. The signposting to the drop off point was quite confusing and we had to relay on the satnav to get us there. Then getting from the French sector through to check-in in the Swiss sector was really annoying. Travelling as a family we had lots of luggage but we couldn't find a way through to the Swiss sector that would allow us to take an airport trolly, so we had to unload everything. Then there was no lift down to the next level so we had to carry everything down in four goes. Reaching check-in required going through baggage reclaim and out into arrivals. To get up to the check-in desks there was a massive queue for one of the very few lifts at the airport. The lift was small so could only fit one person and a trolly in so it took a long time for our turn to come round. After that check-in was actually very swift, especially for my flight with BA. Once through security theres not much going on and the food and drinks on offer were very expensive - but I put that down to Switzerland being pricy and airport mark-ups. Overall, not the best airport experience i've had! I'm sure its a different story if coming in straight from the Swiss sector.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"security staff were rude and unhelpful"

Unverified | The worst airport experience I have ever suffered, and that's saying something. We were naïve enough to be travelling Easyjet (last time for that, thanks). Out of 17 baggage check in desks at least 9 were closed. We queued for 2.5 hours, although in nearly every case passengers had to be taken out of the queue to a priority desk because they were too late for their flights. Just when we thought the torture was over (oh did I mention the airport was like a sauna due to inadequate air conditioning?), it was into the security queue, this took half an hour, and the security staff were rude and unhelpful. Surely it can't get worse I hear you ask. Passport control. This wasn't a queue, just a 45 min disorganised funnel of people to go through 2 staff who were checking passports, with no explanation of what the problem was and no reassurance about flights being missed. Our relief at finally getting on the plane was tempered by the puzle of trying to fit on the seat with the hand baggage and wondering how we would ever be able to grab the lifejacket if the plane ditched. Luckily, it didn't this time. Never again to Geneva or Easyjet.
Date VisitJuly 2017