Top 100 Airports

Geneva Airport

"good experience at Geneva"

Overall good experience at Geneva airport departing to Prague. The airport was clean enough and the pretzels were quite good. It was a bit of a hassle to get connected to the airport WiFi but it was nice and fast. Boarding was fairly quick but check-in was slow. Didn't have any trouble getting to the gate and I would recommend going left for the security lines as most people turn right.
Date VisitJune 2016

"signage and directions are horrible"

We live very close to the airport. We needed to pick up friends. Despite driving around the Switzerland side four times, I could never find an "arrival" area, where I could pick up my friends. Signage and directions are horrible. Finally I gambled and went into a lane which led to the front of the departure area, where I parked. I phoned my friends and they came from the baggage claim area, walked upstairs and met me at Departures. Later that week, I drove the French side, looking for Arrivals and could never find one. There is a parking lot (which, unbelievably has aisles with no turn-around area), which leads to a very small, un-signed area where perhaps arriving passengers could be picked up. I have searched online for maps or information on picking up arriving passengers, all to no avail. Over the years, I have traveled through many airports, and Geneva's lack of design, information, and signage is beyond imagination. If there were a rating below one star, I would use it.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"badly organised and little information"

Avoid Geneva Airport if you can. Checked in online so only had bags to drop off. Took 50 minutes to drop bags off in a huge queue. Badly organised and little information. Security alert caused security checks to be suspended so took another hour to get throught security. Only for the fact we arrived 3 hours before our flight time we would have missed the flight. As despite the shut down of the security checks and the resultant delay, the airline we flew with were unaware of any issue and the flight itself was due to depart as usual. Unfortunately for other family members who had to deal with some car hire issues at car rental desk they missed their flight
Date VisitJuly 2016

"incredibly long walk"

We were directed to terminal 2 miles from T1, then an incredibly long security check queue of thirty minutes, a bus journey back to T1. An incredibly long walk up and down several stairs and corridors to get to the departure gate. Now I'm on another bus, I don't know where it's taking me, back to T2 probably. I know it's Easter, but this is my worst experience in an airport.
Date VisitMarch 2016

"very long queues"

I arrived at the airport having been stuck in traffic for a while - the Geneva Car Show was on and there were big queues for the car park. Going into the check-in area there were really long queues at all of the desk and it was almost impossible to move through the crowds to the BA check-in desks. I went out of the building and back in via the closest door. The queue was almost out to the door. After a while I got to the BA Club check-in desk but could not check in immediately because the baggage system was down. But after a few minutes bags moved and I could check-in. I then went to the oversize belt to check in my ski bag - there was a long queue there and no checking of the baggage tags. Off to security - more very long queues but as I was in Club I got through the priority after a while. No time for shopping or food or the BA lounge as I was now late for my flight so straight to passport control - the queue there was 40 minutes - totally unacceptable. Looking at the departure board most planes were delayed. My plane was held back because so many people were so late. Some bags arrived shortly before the plane took off so we were further delayed. My ski bag did not make it to the plane and I was told that no bags had gone on the previous plane. It says on their website that Geneva is a top rated airport - they must be joking.
Date VisitMarch 2016

"nothing like clockwork"

As an international diplomatic city focused on luxury and specializing in watchmaking, my experience at Geneva Intl. ran nothing like clockwork. The actual design of the airport was dismal. The pre-security departures section was packed with people all looking for their check-in desks (despite it being 6am in the morning), the white hospital-like walls made for a generic almost depressing atmosphere. Not too much to say about security, once there, despite the bins being too small and having to use 4 just for myself (I wasn't even carrying a laptop), the fast track features were efficient. Where the airport really disappointing, was after security. Low ceilings, narrow and dismal halls, confusing signage made for a genuinely unpleasant experience. Access to the lounges was also complicated and these were all poorly located. Once finally at the gate, agents called on Oneworld Emerald members to board first on their own, before Sapphire members (despite them normally clearly having the same boarding times and privileges). A bad experience right till boarding. Beautiful city, but an airport that far from lives up to the prestige.
Date VisitFebruary 2016

"not travel through Geneva again"

Terrible queues, luggage belts out of order, fifty minutes to get through passport control. We arrived at 1pm for a 3.50 flight and the plane was delayed by 30 minutes as a result of the slow processes. No information given and no apologies. Will not travel through Geneva again. Shocking for what is supposed to be an affluent and efficient country.
Date VisitFebruary 2016

"understaffed and poorly maintained"

Awful. Predictably a day of high passenger numbers but understaffed and poorly maintained. Took 2.5 hours of queuing to get through and CHF40 for 2 sandwiches. The Swiss should be embarrased of this painful reminder of how grim air travel used to be before airports realised passengers have a choice. We will use Zurich or Basel in the future. Avoid at all costs.

"horrible airport"

This is without doubt the worst airport I have been to in my 62 years. For departure we queued to check in at the charter terminal, queued to go thru security, queued for a bus that takes us to the main terminal, walk miles to get to the departure gate and queued at the gate. We queued to get on a bus that keeps us waiting for 20 minutes with doors closed and most people standing before going no more than 300 yards to the plane. We waited for ages for the doors to open, queued to get on the plane to be told we are delayed. This is my one and only visit to this horrible airport.
Date VisitFebruary 2016

"does need a general refurbishment"

Geneva Airport on a Saturday in the ski season can be dodgy, with long waits for baggage and general overcrowding. This time it was fine, with no more than a 30 minute wait for skis. Coming back on a Thursday it was smooth with quick BA check in and 5 minutes through security. However, the whole place does need a general refurbishment.
Date VisitJanuary 2016