Geneva Airport

"security staff were rude and unhelpful"

Unverified | The worst airport experience I have ever suffered, and that's saying something. We were naïve enough to be travelling Easyjet (last time for that, thanks). Out of 17 baggage check in desks at least 9 were closed. We queued for 2.5 hours, although in nearly every case passengers had to be taken out of the queue to a priority desk because they were too late for their flights. Just when we thought the torture was over (oh did I mention the airport was like a sauna due to inadequate air conditioning?), it was into the security queue, this took half an hour, and the security staff were rude and unhelpful. Surely it can't get worse I hear you ask. Passport control. This wasn't a queue, just a 45 min disorganised funnel of people to go through 2 staff who were checking passports, with no explanation of what the problem was and no reassurance about flights being missed. Our relief at finally getting on the plane was tempered by the puzle of trying to fit on the seat with the hand baggage and wondering how we would ever be able to grab the lifejacket if the plane ditched. Luckily, it didn't this time. Never again to Geneva or Easyjet.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"enormous queue in a sweltering hot cattle pen"

(Sweden)

Verified Review | Dreadful. Especially security before departure: enormous queue in a sweltering hot cattle pen, not all scanners open despite the queue, and no fast track for families or those with restricted mobility. A big disappointment as we expected something slick and in line with the Swiss reputation for quality and efficiency. Seems to be run more like a small regional airport, no where near international standards. Also rude staff in security.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"Geneva doesn't even try to change"

Unverified | As always delays upon arrival. Geneva doesn't even try to change. Arrivals and departures equally as dismal. Long wait to go through passport control. Staff gives no reasons and unfriendly when at desk. We pay airport fees which should ease these problems.

"Absolutely awful airport"

Unverified | Absolutely awful airport. 30 mins to check in, 25 mins for security. The worst part was 45 minutes for passport control to get out of the country! This meant lots of flights were delayed and people missed their flights. In all my years of travelling by far the worst airport I've ever travelled from.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"A complete shambles from start to finish"

Verified Review | A complete shambles from start to finish. Poorly laid out with bad signage, long queues for security and severe congestion leading to a 2 hour delay for my departing flight. This has happened several times. Geneva airport deserves it's title as the world's worst.

"low budget service"

Verified Review | I traveled the first time through Geneva airport. As most of the travellers would agree after an exhausting journey from South East Asia the only thing you want is to pass immigration and luggage pick up as fast as possible and head home. The immigration area in Geneva airport was totally crowded. Families with small kids and disabled passengers had to queue as anybody else. No proper ventilation. What a shambles. A young mother with two small and obviously tired kids was asking an airport personnel if she skip the queue and simply earned a blank look and no proper response. Switzerland cannot be proud of such low budget service.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"a completely avoidable shambles"

Verified Review | Travelled from Geneva to Heathrow yesterday. We left the BA lounge at 1425 (when told to to go to the gate) for our 1505 flight and spent 30 minutes in a queue for passport control with people from a number of other flights. This was a completely avoidable shambles as only 4 passport windows were open while another 4 were closed. In the end, we got to the gate at 1500, after a BA staff member came and asked the passport staff to speed things up, while some ladies in front of us in the queue allowed us to move in front of them. I see from other posts here that this seems to be a common problem and the BA staff made similar comments. They seemed quite fatalistic about it, even though other people straggled onto the plane for the next 15 minutes, causing it to leave 20 minutes late. My view of Swiss efficiency has had a radical overhaul!
Date VisitJune 2017

"had a wonderful experience"

Verified Review | I had a wonderful experience while going through security. I was impressed by the staff's patient with me, because I forgot to take two gifts out of my carry-on that were suppose to be checked. The two women who assisted me helped me figure out what I needed to do in order to keep these gifts and make my flight. In all my travels, I have never had security be so compassionate or treat me with such respect. I appreciated it more than I can say.
Date VisitJune 2017

"nearly missed my flight"

Verified Review | I nearly missed my flight twice in April due to the long queue at the security screening area. Before Easter, the waiting time was around 3 hours which is completely unacceptable given that the airport is aware that there will be more travellers during holidays. The queueing was poorly organised, controlled by the police. There was no airport staff checking on passangers that were about to board and were stuck in queues. Only if you were pushy enough you might have been lucky enough to have been taken in the priority boarding. It was complete chaos and the Airport did not manage to organise it. One of the worst Airport experiences ever.
Date VisitApril 2017

"queues at security are horrendous"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Geneva Airport passenger volume has grown tremendously during the last 15 years, mainly because of Easyjet. Expansion and building work have been going on without interruption. The problem is that the airport has only one runway (no room for another one), and sits 10 meters from the French border, therefor the space for expansion is extremely limited. What is beyond comprehension, is why the old unused (except for offices) terminal from the 1940's has never been demolished to give space for a second terminal! The queues at security are horrendous, and the problem could easily be solved by closing a few very overpriced duty free boutiques to expend the security screening area (but my guess is that they make too much money with the rent). Talking about duty free, do not bother as prices (especially for chocolate) are way above the city prices. My last gripe is the car rental facility: why is it 500 meters from the main terminal, and you are forced to take a shuttle bus because walking is made almost impossible. As a Swiss citizen, I am very embarrassed.
Date VisitApril 2017