Airline of the Year

Frankfurt Main Airport

"is not a user friendly airport"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | We had allowed 1 hour and 50 minutes for transit, plane was late on arrival allowing us maybe an hour. The plane had to taxi along for 15 minutes and there was the pick up bus, another 15 minutes. The distance to travel from terminal to terminal by foot would be 800 meter plus 2 flights of stairs down and then 2 flights back up, there is no escalator, only one lift which might accommodate 20. Staff don't seem to have people skills and were very rude, we had a problem with one passport that would not scan, I had gone through first with no problems, my partner was then told to go else where to line up, very stressful with only 10 minutes for boarding. He was on one side of immigration and I on the other. Staff could not care less. Needed some water to have a sinus tablet before flying no drinking fountains at the airport could only find vending machine selling evian water for 3 euro and water in the bathroom was warm, coincidence? This is not a user friendly airport, if doing transit flight I would avoid this airport next time or allow a few hours for airport delays and stuff ups.
Date VisitApril 2017

"It was unacceptably messy"

(Japan)

Verified Review | Their immigration is horrible in particular for non-EU citizens. They are so disorganised. I used this airport twice this year for transit and I think I'll never use it. On the first time, they suddenly closed the immigration gate which I waited 30 mins and told us to go another gate, so I had to start waiting in another line from the end of the line. On the second time, they opened new gates and then people nearby ran into the gates, some pushing away other people who had been waiting longer. It was unacceptably messy. There were only few gates for non-EU citizens and took so long to go through that. Some officers take extremely long time to check each and some do not. So, if you are in a wrong line, you will get stuck in the queue.
Date VisitMay 2017

"everyone I dealt with was rude and unhelpful"

Verified Review | I have travelled through many airports but this one was by far the worst airport I have travelled through. It's a mess, very unhelpful and unorganized staff. The amount of stairs I had to take with my carry on was ridiculous. The amount of time I had to wait on the bus before we take our connecting flights. I will never take Lufthansa again and I recommend that no one does until the authorities fix that mess they call an airport. They also have to work on the staff attitude. Everyone I dealt with was rude and unhelpful.
Date VisitMay 2017

"very poor signage"

(Belgium)

Verified Review | This airport is a total joke, I had the sad misfortune to have to use Frankfurt Main on a flight to Valencia and back from Valencia. The transit was through Frankfurt Main. On my first flight in Frankfurt from Brussels the aircraft was parked at a remote stand, and then passengers bused to the terminal, what airport but Frankfurt thought you could get a whole A321 on a bus, it was dangerous to say the least. On reaching the terminal, had a long walk to find the gate for my next flight. Very poor signage to help the passenger, very few staff and the ones that try to help just cause a bottle neck where passengers are asking questions that could be provide by better signage. All in all a very bad experience. Sadly on my return flight even worse, if this airport could get any worse! The flight again an A321 came into a gate in the C concourse, I mistakenly thought it would be an air bridge to the terminal no, not at Frankfurt Main, yet another over crowed bus again to the point of being dangerous. In all my years of travelling this has to be the worse airport I have used. The airport cares nothing for the passenger, so as I have a choice of flights next time, I will give this airport a wide berth.

"rude, unhelpful employees"

Verified Review | Rude, unhelpful employees, long lines and slow, inconsistent security make it difficult to even make it to your plane on time. Every encounter I had with an employee here can be summed up as brusque, demeaning, and downright arrogant. They clearly do not consider flyers as "customers," rather they act as though you are a supreme nuisance to their day. In addition, when my husband went to the desk to see whether he had to check a bag after they announced a weight limit for carry-ons, he could not understand her. She became quickly agitated and wouldn't even tell him where to pick up the bag after the flight: she waved her arms in the air and said "I don't know." I walked over and tried to understand, saying: "Can you try to tell me?" She said, in the rudest voice: "No. I already tried to explain it to him!" She walked away and proceeded to ignore us, without checking the bag or answering the question! I was stunned. I have not seen this kind of behavior in a US airport, ever. We finally got another employee, and it turned out we didn't even need to check the bag, because it was under the weight limit, which she didn't even check. The security was also rude, barking orders at people, with no respect or manners. The employee in the duty free shop was rude as well, and would not give us a bag after we purchased something, unless we paid for it. Thumbs down. Not coming through here again.
Date VisitApril 2017

"downside of Frankfurt is its size"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | The airport is huge and modern. The toilets are way too small for the amount of passengers. The real downside of Frankfurt is its size: it took me exactly one hour from leaving the incoming aircraft to the departure gate! Lufthansa sold me a ticket with a transit time of one hour and ten minutes. If I did not run the whole way, I would have missed my connecting flight (keep in mind that you have to go though passport control and a very picky German security). Give yourself at least 2 hours between flights or travel through a different airport!

"officers were courteous"

Verified Review | Transited FRA on Lufthansa en route from LAX to DEL. The security lines were very short, the officers were courteous, and I was at my boarding gate in no time! There was ample space to sit down, relax, and enjoy view of aircraft outside. There was a coffee shop in the boarding area as well. Based on where my boarding gate was, I didn't get a chance to do shopping or explore other dining options. Thanks to the efficiency of transfer process at Frankfurt, I would certainly consider flying through this airport again.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"challenging to catch connecting flights"

Verified Review | Business travellers should avoid Frankfurt airport. I have been flying through it for years and it is becoming increasingly challenging to catch connecting flights. Understaffed immigration booths, unhelpful staff and long security lines are the norm, even on a business class ticket.

"unhelpful staff"

Worst airport in terms of transfer time, security / staff helpfulness. Going through it twice per month on average. Always parking far away with buses, wasting 20 minutes at least every single time. Then rushing through security with unhelpful staff (even when traveling with a broken arm).
Date VisitMarch 2017

"finding a toilet proved to be a challenge"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | The airport itself is rather old, feels cramped in some parts. During my arrival it was hard to find arrivals, and finding a toilet proved to be a challenge. Security is pretty tight right now, so expect a lot of checks. After snaking my way around the airport arriving off a Qatar Airways flight with very pleasant crew, I met another pleasant staff member at immigration. There is no free wifi at the airport.