Frankfurt Main Airport

"Avoid the airport if possible"

Trip Verified | They don’t have their security control processes in order. Independent from a number of people there are only a few lines open and inexperienced staff are used. There are too few positions at the gate, so half of the planes are leaving from an outside position by bus. Avoid the airport if possible.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"air conditioning on full blast"

(Spain)

Not Verified | Having landed on a flight from Lanzarote on the 6th december 2017 we were boarded on to busses where we were overloaded by far. As the temperture was minus (not a problem) we were then driven in to the airport. The problem was the bus driver put the air conditioning on full blast on high heat (not a good move). We had a glass panel between him and us and everyone on board the bus was frantic over this situation. One man started shouting to see if he could be heard. We were almost at the terminal when the driver got the message and turned the heating off. Management and training must see to this problem. With such a volume of people every day to deal with I beg you to wake up. I write this complaint as I had a full on panic attack before I left the airport to start a few days holiday.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"shocking every time I land"

Not Verified | I fly in and out of this airport atleast 10-15 times a year. It is shocking every time I land from an international flight and then have to climb many stairs at the gate carrying bags as there is no escalator or elevator available. A small one that can only be operated by an employee is there and unless you are in a wheelchair they won’t allow you to use it. I had knee surgery and the stairs are difficult, especially carrying a small suitcase. When I am in the airport, I get nearly run over on each visit by one of the employees for FRA driving their silent golf carts. Twice, including today, I had one literally come within an inch of hitting me from behind as I was walking and then they yelled at me to let them go by. They had no passengers and they were driving fast and quietly. If this was the first time, I would say it’s an isolated incident. But it happens so frequently here, it’s almost an epidemic. I go through many airports around the world and have never experienced worse and repeated incidents of reckless driving and abusive employees to us, the passenger/customers that they are supposed to be serving for a positive travel experience as we use their facilities. Would avoid this airport completely if I could and didn’t have to make other international connections. Whoever manages and runs this airport needs to either lose their job or if they want to keep it, do a massive overhaul in their employee training and policies and also improve the access for passengers who need assistance and are handicapped.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"It all sounds like a bad-taste joke"

Trip Verified | The security check is too far-fetched. I missed my connecting flight because of unnecessary delays. The staff thought that there was a long object (metal I suppose) in my hand luggage. I had departed from Dublin airport (where you have to even take your shoes off in order to pass the security check). Meanwhile the suitcase had not been opened for any reason. Not to mention that there was no time, as the first flight was already late and I had to run to catch the next one. My suitcase was retained to be checked and I was asked to open it, which I did. I asked what the problem was and the employee showed me on the screen what he was looking for. I immediately told him that this was probably part of the make and that I didn't have such an object. He started rummaging in the suitcase, he opened my toothbrush container, checked my plastic hair accessories (more than 2 times, another shape and size compared to what he said he was searching after). Not to mention that he was kind of looking for the 'object' at the wrong places in the suitcase. It was supposed to be nearly on the top, from where the handle is pulled up, when it is being rolled. He misused the suitcase zippers and he was carrying it around from the opened lid, which is supposed to be a lid and not a handle. Please note that I offered more than once to empty the contents out, so as to x-ray just the suitcase (and possibly locate what he was looking for). In the end, after he had taken his time, he concluded that there was nothing there but for the suitcase infrastructure and he let me go. My flight had already departed. If they want travellers from connecting flights to pass a second security check, they should 1) state it, so as to book flights with a suitable time gap between the flights 2) or have a separate place to go through such travellers quickly. It's rare that connecting flights have to repass security checks. Most travellers are on business travels and their time is invaluable. Last but not least, I asked for information at an info point and I had to wait for the employee to finish checking at her phone before addressing me. She did not even understand English (totally unacceptable when you work for an international airport and your post is at connecting flights). I told her that I wanted to file a complaint because I was delayed at the security check etc and she understood that I had lost my suitcase. It all sounds like a bad-taste joke.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"it was easy to navigate"

Not Verified | Being at Frankfurt only for transit, it was easy to navigate to your next flight. However, having booked a business class ticket, I was allowed to enter the business lounge at Frankfurt. The only problem I found was that there are two lounges, one on the A floor of Terminal A and one of the Z floor, one floor above after passport control. This was rather confusing. The airport however is very clean and well maintenanced. The queue at passport control was short and the people were evenly distributed to 4 queues.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"deplane to buses in a snow storm"

Not Verified | Upon arrival in Frankfurt, we were informed that we would have to deplane to buses in a snow storm. Additionally, we had to wait for an outrageous amount of time for the stairs and buses to arrive. Finally, the buses, in driving snow, were parked as far as possible from the plane, forcing elderly people and childern to brave slick and driving snow conditions on both the steps and the far too long walk to the bus. The extreme incompetence displayed all around is disturbing. I travel frequently for business and this ticket cost more than $10000. There has be some standard for service and professionlism, none of that was to be found today. As a result of this horrendous display, I will no longer fly Luftansa unless I have no other choice.

"Avoid it if possible"

Trip Verified | I have had to fly from/to Frankfurt now for 20 years and it is getting worse and worse every year. Security (especially at T1) takes forever and half of the flights have an outside position were you loose another half an hour after landing until you can finally leave the terminal. Avoid it if possible.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"request was not in the system"

Trip Verified | I was assisting two older people with difficulties walking, apparently at the Lufthansa check in in the US my request for mobility assistance was ignored and upon arriving in Frankfurt I was told our request was not in the system. Having less than 1 hour to reach a connecting flight we started to walk to the departure gate, along the way it became visible they can no longer walk, I have asked more than ten of their employers representing the mobility service and none of them wanted to enter us in the system to receive help. By the time they were visibly exhausted, one lady representing the mobility system looked at our boarding passes, checked in the system and five minutes later told us she can help us, asking who can help she drove off. This is a fraction of the misery I experienced trying to use their birocratic system populated with uncompassionate people but designed to help people that need assistance.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"be at least, 3 hours before departure"

(Panama)

Verified Review | This is airport is modern and clean, but huge and a little impersonal. It left us with a kind of mixed feeling. 1) Passport control (in and out) is a nightmare with a bunch of people, trying to get there right row. We were with my older parents. Fortunately, an officer saw us and helped us move to another, quieter row. 2) As we mentioned in another opinion, the employees did not seem very friendly and you can not find information booths easily. Signals are not enough clear. 3) You have to go through an endless processes of immigration and checking in your handbags, coats, luggage, etc. We understand that it is for our safety. We recommend to be at least, 3 hours before departure. 4) Unlike Heathrow Airport you can not find a wheelchair that you can use, in our case the Airline failed in this service as it happened to us. 5) The gate B62 is awful and it looks like a 19th century factory.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"improve your signs, they are a disaster"

Verified Review | I flew through Frankfurt, and had only 45 minutes to transit from B to C16. On the way I saw the sign shown in the photos (two views), which pointed me up the stairs to gates C13-20. However when I went up the stairs there were no C gates, just the Skyline to DE. And at the point where I took the photo there were no other signs to C16, so with rising panic I realised I had no idea where to go, and only a few minutes to get there. There was no-one around to ask, so I phoned Information and spoke to a man who tried to help, but neither he nor I knew where I was, so I was none the wiser. Then I saw someone further along the corridor and went to speak to him. I could then see round the corner to the right, in the distance, a sign to gates C13-20! So instead of going up the stairs, I should have ignored the sign, continued straight on and turned right at the end. Obvious, really! Please Frankfurt Airport, improve your signs, they are a disaster.