Frankfurt Main Airport

Facilities 12345

Review by (United Kingdom) 24th July 2015

Found the airport to be very clean and ordered. The passport control was quiet and we had no queue. We had been advised not to go through security as no amenities and this was great advice. Then we met the security check. They could hardly be more offensive, one staff member ripped my passport out of my pocket and said next time you take it out! I was being very polite, it was gratuitous and absolutely not called for.
Date Visit24-07-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 23rd July 2015

CDG to BHX via FRA with Lufthansa. As with my last 2 trips to this airport in the last couple of weeks, we were parked miles from the Terminal and had a 20 min wait and uncomfortable bus ride to be dropped off at an entry point which has no escalators - =hard luck on the elderly or infirm. A long trudge including the wretched tunnel and finally to Gate B47. Unsmiling Securitas personnel lacking in customer service skills than performed the secondary document check. We stood around for 20 or so minutes waiting for news of delayed boarding, then the Securitas woman screeched at people to have their boarding cards ready for her machine. Once on the aircraft, we had a delay 'due to heavy outbound traffic' - at 22:30? Then another delay because the pushback tractor driver was 'busy elsewhere'. A chaotic, unpleasant experience which seems to be becoming the norm at this airport.
Date Visit23-07-2015

Review by (India) 21st July 2015

Arrived on LH from LIS into FRA on our way to BOM. Got in on time and tried to get from one side of the terminal to the other. Bit confusing with the signage and very hard to follow at times. The airport seemed quite nice and the staff were pleasant. What was shocking was the immigration control where they had 3 staff for all passengers with non EU passports and 2 of them were looking down and chatting and doing their own thing. The woman officer processed over 10 people and they just sat there chatting and laughing. Very disappointed considering all that is said about German efficiency. Food options limited once you pass immigration and security. Duty free is okay.
Date Visit21-07-2015

Review by (Estonia) 18th July 2015

We had connections through this airport leaving and returning to the EU as EU citizens. Our connections were to Calgary - YYC (leaving) and to Helsinki - HEL (returning) with Air Canada being our intercontinental carrier and Lufthansa our EU carrier. We left through FRA in June and returned through FRA in mid-July 2015. The first impression we had of FRA was disorganization and inadequate information, including poor language skills by security personnel. Travellers are lost in their own struggle to get through controls and security and find their way to gates to make flights. This individualistic collection of various "struggles" makes for stressed and rude passengers combined with inadequately trained and uninformative airport personnel. We arrived from HEL and needed to get to the Air Canada lounge and gate in another part of the terminal. This involved a long walk to a small and overused elevator down to a sublevel with moving sidewalks, only to have to resurface to the original level via another inadequately sized elevator with passengers waiting in line or others simply giving up to use the similarly overcrowded stairs which are not unlike those in a regular office or apartment building. All in all, that experience was stressful but we had 4 hours and eventually found a place to sit and wait for our Air Canada flight to Calgary. However, with only a 1-hour connection awaiting us on our return, this did not bode well. Travellers such as ourselves who consult with Air Canada or even Lufthansa personnel will often be told that since flights are in the same terminal (Terminal 2 in this case), everything is "close and they will certainly have more than enough time to catch connecting flights". Nothing could be further from the truth! Be warned! Upon our return in July from Calgary going to Helsinki, the situation we had been fearing and about which we had been "re-assured" by Air Canada and Lufthansa personnel, was much worse than we had originally thought. Anyone with less than 2 hours to make connecting (non-Schengen, Schengen) flights should not consider Frankfurt. When we arrived in Frankfurt, automatic border control (for EU citizens) was not operational and a lady was running around trying to pursuade EU citizen passengers to use another re-entry border agent's line which was completely empty. We soon learned why more experienced passengers were avoiding that line. Border agents screamed at us for waiting a short distance behind another traveller - "one at a time!". There was no clearly-marked single line and no signage telling us exactly how far behind the other traveller we should stand. I ended up having to redirect my fellow passangers to a place further back, with the rude official glaring at me from the perch of his glass box. Another chaotic security control was required as was running up and down the same sets of stairs we had encountered before on our departure. I cannot recommend this airport!
Date Visit18-07-2015

Review by (United States) 8th July 2015

Transited thru FRA from PHL to LUX on 17th June and reverse direction on 25th June, non-Shengen to Shengen, and had no problems at all either direction, even though we had to take a bus 3 out of 4 times to and from aircraft. Maybe we were lucky, but Passport control was less than 5 minutes each time, and agents were efficient, though surly. Walks were long, with several stairs, escalators,and elevators, but the signage was relatively easy to follow from Terminal A to B and B to Z on return. The trick is to follow the signs carefully! We are both retired and my wife and her bad feet did fine. Would recommend good walking shoes. Very limited selection of food and beverage areas - took 20 minutes to get water and snacks. We had 1.5 hours between flights both directions and were still able to use restrooms and waiting area at gate, but would recommend no less time than 80 minutes. After having read the reviews, we were very apprehensive about this transit, but ended up pleasantly surprised.
Date Visit08-06-2015

Review by (Romania) 24th June 2015

Used Frankfurt International in June two times for transit, between Bucharest to Aberdeen return flights, operated by Lufthansa. Outbound flight was 6 hours layover, so decided to visit Frankfurt City Center.Easy to reach from airport using S-Bahn. Back in the airport, it is huge, well signed, amazing views over tarmac, not so good toilets/ lavatories, and terrible offer for food and drinks in 1Z terminal. Munich airport is much, much better for transfer.
Date Visit24-06-2015
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure

Review by (France) 18th June 2015

Entering from an Intercontinental flight from Sao Paulo for a transit. Waiting time at pass control and security check was extremely long and badly organized. Staff were not friendly. Direction to the new terminal has taken 1 hour walking through the airport.
Date Visit18-06-2015

Review by (United States) 17th June 2015

Flight from Manchester to DFW on Lufthansa via Frankfurt. What a mess the Frankfurt airport system is. Landed on time after a great flight with 40 minutes to when our other flight to DFW was to take off, should be easy we thought! The jet bridges not used, so we had to climb down to the tarmac via stairs, then wait for buses to take us to terminal A. Bus took a while to get there, then we were ordered off with no explanation as to where we needed to go - we found someone who told us to follow signs to terminal Z. Followed signs which lead us to a train station, we boarded this and got off as indicated, then walked for 5 minutes only to find we needed to go back through security and passport control, all lines were long. By the time we got into the long line for security, our plane was already boarding, and there were a good 100 people ahead of us. After 10 minutes we managed to get someones attention and we were ushered towards security. What an attitude these security people have, have never been treated so badly in all flights I have taken. The passport control was not much better either. Next is the Duty Free maze, what a joke fighting your way through this lot trying to get out of there. We followed the signs to Terminal Z, our gate was 69(the last one) with over half a mile of walking to get to it. At the gate down at least eight flights of stairs to the bottom, only to find we are back out on the tarmac. The plane was parked at the cargo terminal on the other side of the airport. We did make the plane, and we were not the last ones on it, but never again will Frankfurt see us as visitors.
Date Visit17-06-2015
Airport Shopping N/A
Wifi Connectivity N/A

Review by (Germany) 17th June 2015

Connecting in FRA is some kind of lottery! I arrived from Zagreb and had 55 minutes to catch my next flight. Docking in last corner of T1B I had to run to queue at immigration. After this another marathon to get to the security (EU to EU!). As my time was already short I queued at the "Fast Lane". When I started to unpack my laptop, a guy shouted at me that the lane is closing now and I had to queue at the normal lanes. It took another 25 minutes to pass the security. As my boarding time was already overdue I had to run through hallways, tunnel and elevators to get to T1A. When I arrived at the gate boarding was already closed for 15 minutes. If you have to change here, calculate at least 2 hours for non-Schengen to make sure you will have a chance to catch your plane. Try to connect via MUC, VIE or AMS.
Date Visit17-06-2015

Review by (United States) 6th June 2015

I traveled to and from this airport between May 23 and June 3. I had no problems at all with immigration and I avoided the shuttle. However All the bussing and waiting for the bus to leave and stair climbing was pretty horrible and the signage definitely not very helpful (but then again I find that this is a problem beyond the airport as well). My real vexation however was with the slow security that required the removal of just about every thing electrical or battery-related. I travel all the time and never had to take out my computer and phone chargers et al. Only two lanes were open because a third lane suddenly closed down. Both open lanes had few people in the queue initially but no one was moving. Worst of all having gone through the scanner with some guy barking out something in German this seriously efficient woman gave me a strict pat down like I had never experienced (believe me I travel a lot and usually get tsa pre-check in the U.S. I also have never had a problem with a little wand-ing but this was absurd). For that and other reasons I plan to use an alternate airport next time I am headed for Cologne or its environs.
Airport Shopping N/A