Frankfurt Main Airport

Review by (United Kingdom)

Great airport. Enough seats. All the airport staff speak really good English, and are friendly. Free wi-fi for 24 hours. The only disadvantage is that there are no power plugs between seats near the gates, I had to sit on the floor and use the power plug near a wall. Also, in the passport control of the departure flight, I had to wait for an extra minute because on the arrival flight, my passport was not stamped.
Date VisitAugust 2015

Review by (Greece)

Flew from Frankfurt to Athens with Lufthansa. Frankfurt International is the second biggest airport I've visited, after JFK, and I was impressed. I liked the fact that I could move freely in the airport. With everything being automated, I was a bit reserved on how well the automatic drop-off machines would work. I had no problem with them and left my luggage in an efficient way. The airport staff were very friendly and helpful (with the exception of a Duty-Free shop worker), while the stores there were more than enough to help pass time until the flight. I was very pleased by the nice structure, as well as the cleanliness of the restrooms.

Review by (Canada)

This is the first time I experienced such a disrespectful attitude when passing through security. My artificial hip, which is made of titanium always sets off the metal alarm. I also use a wheelchair when travelling since I cannot stand or walk for any length of time due to arthritis. In all other airports, the staff have been courteous and respectful when requesting a pat down. In Frankfurt, both times I passed through on the 8th and again on the 21st July, the woman who inspected me was rude and pushy. In addition to this issue, because I needed assistance between flights, my family and I were transported from one airport section to the other, with most staff seemingly confused over what to do with us, security staff were rude when we passed through the second clearance, and we nearly missed our connecting flight to Marseille. I will certainly never book a connecting flight through Frankfurt again as this was an unnecessary stress we did not appreciate.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure

Review by (Canada)

Arriving at the airport having done online pre-check-in I headed to bag drop with Air Canada. 2 counters were open and one for airport check-in. After 50 minutes waiting I got to the front of the baggage drop. The check-in was actually moving faster. As my bag was processed the ancient computers crashed and I was set to wait. Once I headed to the security check point I was greeted by short queues and terrible service.
Date VisitAugust 2015

Review by (United Kingdom)

Found the airport to be very clean and ordered. The passport control was quiet and we had no queue. We had been advised not to go through security as no amenities and this was great advice. Then we met the security check. They could hardly be more offensive, one staff member ripped my passport out of my pocket and said next time you take it out! I was being very polite, it was gratuitous and absolutely not called for.

Review by (United Kingdom)

CDG to BHX via FRA with Lufthansa. As with my last 2 trips to this airport in the last couple of weeks, we were parked miles from the Terminal and had a 20 min wait and uncomfortable bus ride to be dropped off at an entry point which has no escalators - =hard luck on the elderly or infirm. A long trudge including the wretched tunnel and finally to Gate B47. Unsmiling Securitas personnel lacking in customer service skills than performed the secondary document check. We stood around for 20 or so minutes waiting for news of delayed boarding, then the Securitas woman screeched at people to have their boarding cards ready for her machine. Once on the aircraft, we had a delay 'due to heavy outbound traffic' - at 22:30? Then another delay because the pushback tractor driver was 'busy elsewhere'. A chaotic, unpleasant experience which seems to be becoming the norm at this airport.

Review by (India)

Arrived on LH from LIS into FRA on our way to BOM. Got in on time and tried to get from one side of the terminal to the other. Bit confusing with the signage and very hard to follow at times. The airport seemed quite nice and the staff were pleasant. What was shocking was the immigration control where they had 3 staff for all passengers with non EU passports and 2 of them were looking down and chatting and doing their own thing. The woman officer processed over 10 people and they just sat there chatting and laughing. Very disappointed considering all that is said about German efficiency. Food options limited once you pass immigration and security. Duty free is okay.

Review by (Estonia)

We had connections through this airport leaving and returning to the EU as EU citizens. Our connections were to Calgary - YYC (leaving) and to Helsinki - HEL (returning) with Air Canada being our intercontinental carrier and Lufthansa our EU carrier. We left through FRA in June and returned through FRA in mid-July 2015. The first impression we had of FRA was disorganization and inadequate information, including poor language skills by security personnel. Travellers are lost in their own struggle to get through controls and security and find their way to gates to make flights. This individualistic collection of various "struggles" makes for stressed and rude passengers combined with inadequately trained and uninformative airport personnel. We arrived from HEL and needed to get to the Air Canada lounge and gate in another part of the terminal. This involved a long walk to a small and overused elevator down to a sublevel with moving sidewalks, only to have to resurface to the original level via another inadequately sized elevator with passengers waiting in line or others simply giving up to use the similarly overcrowded stairs which are not unlike those in a regular office or apartment building. All in all, that experience was stressful but we had 4 hours and eventually found a place to sit and wait for our Air Canada flight to Calgary. However, with only a 1-hour connection awaiting us on our return, this did not bode well. Travellers such as ourselves who consult with Air Canada or even Lufthansa personnel will often be told that since flights are in the same terminal (Terminal 2 in this case), everything is "close and they will certainly have more than enough time to catch connecting flights". Nothing could be further from the truth! Be warned! Upon our return in July from Calgary going to Helsinki, the situation we had been fearing and about which we had been "re-assured" by Air Canada and Lufthansa personnel, was much worse than we had originally thought. Anyone with less than 2 hours to make connecting (non-Schengen, Schengen) flights should not consider Frankfurt. When we arrived in Frankfurt, automatic border control (for EU citizens) was not operational and a lady was running around trying to pursuade EU citizen passengers to use another re-entry border agent's line which was completely empty. We soon learned why more experienced passengers were avoiding that line. Border agents screamed at us for waiting a short distance behind another traveller - "one at a time!". There was no clearly-marked single line and no signage telling us exactly how far behind the other traveller we should stand. I ended up having to redirect my fellow passangers to a place further back, with the rude official glaring at me from the perch of his glass box. Another chaotic security control was required as was running up and down the same sets of stairs we had encountered before on our departure. I cannot recommend this airport!

Frankfurt Main Airport customer review

Review by (United States)

Transited thru FRA from PHL to LUX on 17th June and reverse direction on 25th June, non-Shengen to Shengen, and had no problems at all either direction, even though we had to take a bus 3 out of 4 times to and from aircraft. Maybe we were lucky, but Passport control was less than 5 minutes each time, and agents were efficient, though surly. Walks were long, with several stairs, escalators,and elevators, but the signage was relatively easy to follow from Terminal A to B and B to Z on return. The trick is to follow the signs carefully! We are both retired and my wife and her bad feet did fine. Would recommend good walking shoes. Very limited selection of food and beverage areas - took 20 minutes to get water and snacks. We had 1.5 hours between flights both directions and were still able to use restrooms and waiting area at gate, but would recommend no less time than 80 minutes. After having read the reviews, we were very apprehensive about this transit, but ended up pleasantly surprised.

Review by (Romania)

Used Frankfurt International in June two times for transit, between Bucharest to Aberdeen return flights, operated by Lufthansa. Outbound flight was 6 hours layover, so decided to visit Frankfurt City Center.Easy to reach from airport using S-Bahn. Back in the airport, it is huge, well signed, amazing views over tarmac, not so good toilets/ lavatories, and terrible offer for food and drinks in 1Z terminal. Munich airport is much, much better for transfer.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure