Frankfurt Main Airport

"a terrible and unacceptable experience"

Not Verified | Frankfurt security staff were unacceptably rude, treating me with no respect. The female guard that checked my bag made a disproportionate fuss about liquids, which I have never seen in any other airport, whether US, Britain, Middle East, or anywhere else. As I tried to reach into my bag to show the liquids I had in ziploc bags (three bags instead of one, each one with a few items - my terrible offense), the female guard slapped my hand. Even though I had left the ziploc bags on top of my stuff, for easy identification, she proceeded to empty my whole suitcase onto the dirty, old containers where goodness knows how many bags have been, all the while speaking German, clearly speaking contemptuously of me and my fellow passengers. All in all a terrible and unacceptable experience.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"leaves a lot to be desired"

Not Verified | Whilst I am very proud that Lufthansa has become the first European airline to be awarded 5 Skytrax stars and they got it so right with the logo redesign, it is unfortunately also (still) true that the situation at its main hub, Frankfurt, leaves a lot to be desired for: unlike the new logo it does not say "Premium" and certainly does not qualify for a "five-star-experience". Traveling every week on the same route (to and from Milan) from Frankfurt, the chances of boarding a departing flight via a finger directly from the terminal are 50/50. Sometimes buses depart from gates in the newly added terminal A part that require a good 10 mins walk to get there. Arriving into Frankfurt almost always means an apron position somewhere on the tarmac and easily a 10 mins bus drive. So, for instance landing on the relatively new runway West, taxiing can take 10 mins to the parking position, sometimes adding waiting time for buses to arrive and 10 mins to get to the terminal? That adds up to almost 50% of the flying time from Milan! Crazy. Frankfurt airport uses retired, cramped buses from local public transport bus companies. Then all arriving bus passengers get cattled via a narrow staircase into the terminal, where on some lucky days there are two airport employees with iPads helping with gate information but generally being overwhelmed by the number of passengers asking for information. Sometimes connecting passengers are left to their own devices at this badly signposted airport with only a few areas where screens would provide up-to-date gate information. But the really worst part is how Lufthansa and Frankfurt airport are providing for premium travelers (with the exception of HONs and First Class passengers). Long waiting times at security and in the Schengen Area in Terminal A there are a total of 3 lounges that, at peak times, are more than overcrowded. Schengen departures in Terminal B have no lounge access whatsoever. Guests in the three lounges (2 business, one Senator/Star Alliance Gold) can stand for an hour and are being catered for by a disappointing offer of food. All this leaves regular Lufthansa clients guessing why the airline gets it so right with their second hub Munich (2 Business lounges and a total of 4 Senator lounges/areas). In their London, Munich and hopefully soon Malpensa lounge, Lufthansa also provides a much more sophisticated food offer compared to its main hub, Frankfurt. So what is it, that is the cause of this difference? Maybe all Lufthansa management responsible for travel experience should be paired up with a passenger and follow their real travel experience for the duration of their Frankfurt airport stay to help realize, how sub-optimal the whole set-up really is.

"Unbelievable queuing times"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | Absolutely worst airport. Unbelievable queuing times. Never use unless no other options. I can’t believe that an airport like this is so poorly managed. Waiting for 45 min in the security queue on a normal day is unacceptable. They really need to look into their processes.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"have been trying to avoid this airport"

(Croatia)

Not Verified | I am a frequent traveller, but have been trying to avoid this airport for a while now as much as I can due to frequent flight delays and, in particular, rude, arrogant, borderline agressive security staff. Unfortunately, todays itinerary was not my choice and I had a connecting flight here. I have never previously taken the trouble to write a review or to complain, but the behaviour of security officers has worsened to the point where I believe somebody should intervene. I was supposed to reach gate A and went to security check in the fast lane. After having gone through the scanner, I was asked to take my shoes off, which I did and was checked. I asked if I could wait for my shoes in the cubicle and not standing on the cold floor due to health issues. The female security officer refused, but her male colleague who seemed to outrank her allowed it. So I waited. Before I got hold of my shoes, another female security officer arrived and started shouting at me to move on. I tried explaining why I was still there, but she would not listen and pushed me out. I said I was not supposed to stand on the cold floor, even specified why, but she continued shouting, said that I was in Germany and in Germany I was not allowed to stand there, then was joined in that by the other female colleague. I asked for their names, they refused to give them. Luckily, the formerly mentioned male colleague got hold of my shoes in the meantime and helped me get out of the situation. I was not violating any security rules, was not rude and was not refusing to cooperate, but was basically assaulted verbally by two ladies in a bad mood for no reason at all. Five minutes later, at the passport control, almost identical behaviour by the police officers. There was no one waiting in line, so I approached the counter with the light EU citizens on. Then I noticed the female police officer was eating. She waived her hand at me to go back. I apologized and said I only approached because the light was on. She switched it off, and in the meantime, her male colleague from ‘all passports’ shouted that I should go back and wait, that his colleague was writing a report (no, she was eating), and then come to give my passport for inspection to him. He was actually entering his cubicle at the time, putting his sweater on and basically could not even hear what I said to his colleague, so I do not know what he assumed. I went back three steps, then came forward and gave my passport to his colleague who was the only fully clothed person there not eating. The other one then shouted: I said here. This is Germany. We do things right here! St this point, I stopped being polite, told him that his job description also included manners and he should watch his behaviour. He said: Whatever. I was told twice within the span of 10 minutes that I was in Germany, and therefore should apparently be quiet, follow orders and stand where I am told. As far as I know, the time machine still hasn't been invented and the era where this was the case is long gone. Somebody should have a serious chat about that with security staff at this airport.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"Shocking chaos at security check"

Not Verified | Shocking chaos at security check. We were travelling from Manchester onward to Rome and missed our 10.30 connection because of a totally disorganised security check. We reached the top of the queue twice only to have the check closed! We then were told to join a new queue from the back. This happened twice. Not enough staff to cope with numbers of passengers. We had a 10 hour wait in Frankfurt and missed our 1st of 2 days in Rome. There were 5 of us travelling for a weekend trip.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"very fast to the plane"

Not Verified | I was traveling to Madeira and my departure was from Terminal 2. It´s much more smaller than Terminal 1. You haven´t so much shopping sites than in the other terminal. The duty free shop so tiny. But you get from check in it is very fast to the plane.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"I try to avoid this airport"

Trip Verified | Every Monday morning the same, not enough security and waiting lines even outside the gated waiting area for security. Long walking ways and very high parking prices. Duty free is good, and food ok, but that’s it. I try to avoid this airport but can’t. Munich is much better
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"Avoid Frankfurt airport like the plaque"

Not Verified | Arrived from Canada on an Air Canada flight and had to transfer to another Lufthansa flight in another terminal. Both my wife and I had to go through security and move to the other terminal, Firstly the queues for security were really bad and eventually I found out that there were too little security staff for the quantity of checks they were doing (well above and behond what a security has to be). Checks were made thoroughly on everything, laptops, cameras, Ipads, batteries, mobile phones, charging leads etc.., they asked to switch everyone on and they then checked the functionality. Then they had to be put back into bags and they all went through the x-ray machine, At this point I was asked to go through scanner, which in my case went off. A security guard then frisked me and found I had left my wallet in my pocket and was asked to remove it, plus my handkerchief. He check them both visually and then started shouting why I hadn't sent them through the conveyor. He then put them thorugh the conveyor, by now he asked me to remove my shoes and socks and put them seperately through the conveyor. He was very condescending, arrogant, loud speaking, who be-llittled me. By this time my blood pressure was rising rapidly. Then I said I have been through security in Canada, then his voice went up again and said 'this is Germany and we do things properly and thoroughly'. Eventually it took us over an hour to get through, then when we arrived at our terminal gate, we were asked if we would like 250 euros each for our seats as they have over booked. Basically I have travelled extensively through the world and this was by far my worst experience. Avoid Frankfurt airport like the plaque.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"airport is neat and clean"

Not Verified | This is one of the biggest airports I have seen. The airport is neat and clean. But I had the first ever experience of using a luggage trolley with a Euro coin. So without using a coin it's not possible to use luggage trolley. The airport has a very big runway and also several terminals. For connecting terminals there are shuttle services. Immigration service is very fast.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"difficult to rate"

Trip Verified | Frankfurt airport is difficult to rate because it depends from where to where you have to transfer exactly and which terminal you have to use. Lufthansa and Star Alliance use Terminal 1 while most of other airlines use Terminal 2. Begin of last year I flew Lufthansa HAJ-FRA-IKA. The aircraft had an outside position and for transfer I needed to do security check again. I had 90 mins transfer time and almost missed my connection flight. This time I flew HAJ-FRA-MIA and it took me only 10 mins from one aircraft to the other. Terminal 1 check in area is quite outdated and old fashioned. After check-in you find a shop and restaurant area. Shops and restaurants are ok, but that area is often busy. From there you go to the different areas. The Schengen area is a like a long corridor with sometimes long ways. Some restaurants or food stalls in between, but atmosphere is not nice. The new area for US flights is modern and have a much better atmosphere. For arrival it was a bit messy. They have E-gate for EU citizen and manned booth for non EU-citizen. Unfortunately the E-gates havent been accesible as a long queue of non EU-citizen block the way. Terminal 2 is not so busy, newer and overall more convenient. Disadvantage is that you have to transfer by bus or people mover when arriving by train. Upstairs in check in there are some restaurants and shops. After immigration you find more of it, some shops have a really good choice. Security check will be done at the gates. I recommend Terminal 2 but Terminal 1 only limited.
Date VisitNovember 2017