Frankfurt Main Airport

Review by (Romania) 24th June 2015

Used Frankfurt International in June two times for transit, between Bucharest to Aberdeen return flights, operated by Lufthansa. Outbound flight was 6 hours layover, so decided to visit Frankfurt City Center.Easy to reach from airport using S-Bahn. Back in the airport, it is huge, well signed, amazing views over tarmac, not so good toilets/ lavatories, and terrible offer for food and drinks in 1Z terminal. Munich airport is much, much better for transfer.
Date Visit24-06-2015
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure

Review by (France) 18th June 2015

Entering from an Intercontinental flight from Sao Paulo for a transit. Waiting time at pass control and security check was extremely long and badly organized. Staff were not friendly. Direction to the new terminal has taken 1 hour walking through the airport.
Date Visit18-06-2015

Review by (United States) 17th June 2015

Flight from Manchester to DFW on Lufthansa via Frankfurt. What a mess the Frankfurt airport system is. Landed on time after a great flight with 40 minutes to when our other flight to DFW was to take off, should be easy we thought! The jet bridges not used, so we had to climb down to the tarmac via stairs, then wait for buses to take us to terminal A. Bus took a while to get there, then we were ordered off with no explanation as to where we needed to go - we found someone who told us to follow signs to terminal Z. Followed signs which lead us to a train station, we boarded this and got off as indicated, then walked for 5 minutes only to find we needed to go back through security and passport control, all lines were long. By the time we got into the long line for security, our plane was already boarding, and there were a good 100 people ahead of us. After 10 minutes we managed to get someones attention and we were ushered towards security. What an attitude these security people have, have never been treated so badly in all flights I have taken. The passport control was not much better either. Next is the Duty Free maze, what a joke fighting your way through this lot trying to get out of there. We followed the signs to Terminal Z, our gate was 69(the last one) with over half a mile of walking to get to it. At the gate down at least eight flights of stairs to the bottom, only to find we are back out on the tarmac. The plane was parked at the cargo terminal on the other side of the airport. We did make the plane, and we were not the last ones on it, but never again will Frankfurt see us as visitors.
Date Visit17-06-2015
Wifi Connectivity N/A

Review by (Germany) 17th June 2015

Connecting in FRA is some kind of lottery! I arrived from Zagreb and had 55 minutes to catch my next flight. Docking in last corner of T1B I had to run to queue at immigration. After this another marathon to get to the security (EU to EU!). As my time was already short I queued at the "Fast Lane". When I started to unpack my laptop, a guy shouted at me that the lane is closing now and I had to queue at the normal lanes. It took another 25 minutes to pass the security. As my boarding time was already overdue I had to run through hallways, tunnel and elevators to get to T1A. When I arrived at the gate boarding was already closed for 15 minutes. If you have to change here, calculate at least 2 hours for non-Schengen to make sure you will have a chance to catch your plane. Try to connect via MUC, VIE or AMS.
Date Visit17-06-2015

Review by (United States) 6th June 2015

I traveled to and from this airport between May 23 and June 3. I had no problems at all with immigration and I avoided the shuttle. However All the bussing and waiting for the bus to leave and stair climbing was pretty horrible and the signage definitely not very helpful (but then again I find that this is a problem beyond the airport as well). My real vexation however was with the slow security that required the removal of just about every thing electrical or battery-related. I travel all the time and never had to take out my computer and phone chargers et al. Only two lanes were open because a third lane suddenly closed down. Both open lanes had few people in the queue initially but no one was moving. Worst of all having gone through the scanner with some guy barking out something in German this seriously efficient woman gave me a strict pat down like I had never experienced (believe me I travel a lot and usually get tsa pre-check in the U.S. I also have never had a problem with a little wand-ing but this was absurd). For that and other reasons I plan to use an alternate airport next time I am headed for Cologne or its environs.

Review by (Philippines) 1st June 2015

This airport is a pure nightmare. Bus rides from/to plane take about 20 minutes even after arriving at the terminal you have to stay on the bus and wait up to 10 minutes by closed doors. Overall the whole journey from the plane to the terminal takes about half an hour. Then follows very long walks through uncomfortable halls stairs and escalators always looking for a signs and finding hardly any. Toilets were overcrowded and dirty. The worst thing about this airport was the rude staff! Immigration officers were shouting loudly at passengers if you didn't understood their question immediately. Avoid this airport at any cost!

Review by (New Zealand) 31st May 2015

Such a big airport but it is very easy to get around. Just be prepared for long walks and leave plenty of time. Very busy and there can be long queues for immigration but they move fast. Even pressured border staff were friendly and smiled. "Ah Kiwis!" Lots of food places reasonably priced. Duty-free also very good. I can recommend the Ansbach Uralt.

Review by (United States) 10th May 2015

I concur completely with all the negative reviews already posted. So much of the delay could be remedied by better layout planning and training. There is not a trace of the famed German efficiency on display at the Frankfurt airport.

Review by (United States) 10th May 2015

I just flew from India to USA via Frankfurt. We had a little over two hours transit time. That would have been more than enough for any 'normal' airport but not in Frankfurt. Passengers are required to walk very long stretches of passages with no moving platforms anywhere to aid. And then a train ride security delays and more walking. Very poorly organized airport and nightmare for transit passengers. It is best if it can be avoided.

Review by (Canada) 1st May 2015

YYC to FRA connecting onwards to TXL: upon arrival one is greeted by a very long walk to immigration. Then a long walk through endless stairways escalators walkways and more escalators etc. to security. Security screening was very busy as there were a lot of passengers during the morning rush hour at FRA. Then more walking escalators down to a long tunnel followed by more escalators staircases etc. Then one has to struggle to find one's gate hoping that while navigating the above the airline has not changed the gate. I've seen worst than FRA but I've also seen better. If you're transiting at FRA be prepared for a maze and a lot of walking and be sure to allow at least 2.5 hours preferably 3 hours between your flights.