Frankfurt Main Airport

"not for the faint hearted"

Unverified | I transited through FRA today, not for the faint hearted! It took 45 minutes to get through security with only one lane open. It is truly hard to believe that in this day and age we still can’t get such a facility organised. Frankfurt to be avoided!
Date VisitOctober 2017

"Very non user-friendly airport"

Verified Review | Very non user-friendly airport, with extremely long gate-to-gate walks and confusing signs. A total of one hour was needed just to walk from my arrival to my departure gate. The signs at security checkpoints were confusing. Adding to that is a team of unprofessional and rude staff, which makes the transit experience extremely disappointing. The SkyLine transit train has confusing signs notifying passengers which stop to get off, with two stations indicating transit for 'A' gates at the same time, which leaves infrequent travellers very confused as in which stop they should get off for 'A' gates. On the plus side the airport was clean.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"Personnel patient and polite"

Unverified | Once again, high marks for FRA. Arrived at security at 06.30 on Saturday October 30, to find a massive throng of people. Yet, with 8 or 9 security machines open, the line moved quickly. Just over 15 minutes to get through - remarkable, given the large crowd. Personnel patient and polite. What slows us all down, seems to me, are the people who wait until they get to the conveyor belt to begin unloading their jackets, metal objects, phones etc. That's what I find truly annoying. Take out your laptops and toiletries, and put everything else in your hand luggage before you reach the front of the line.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"disgraceful process through security"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | An absolute disgraceful process through the security search area. Only two x-ray machines were in operation despite in excess of 12 security search staff. On asking who was responsible for the debacle I was directed to the police in the area. Upon questioning the officer present whose arrogance and the patronising manner of his younger colleague I objected to. This resulted in my being further inconvenienced by having to show my passport which as I was traveling within the Schengen zone. I didn't need to, also I was further inconvenienced by having to explain why and how I became to be in Frankfurt. My response of having arrived from and returning to Lisbon were clearly not in the gameplay of trying to detain me further. A disgrace to the uniform they wear and to the German authorities.

"usual total chaos"

Unverified | As usual total chaos at terminal 1 to find a taxi. Fraport in their wisdom redesigned a system that worked into one that doesn't. There are no signs showing where the queue begins. There are special yellow designated zones for taxis but no one knows this. System just confuses and annoys your passengers. Fraport stop sitting on your hands and do something about this mess.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"they are improving some things"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | Frankfurt Airport is better, they are improving some things. I went from arriving C to departing A and not bad. No priority line at passport control and no machines also, at least arriving on C and going to A. Passport control over crowded, too many people and confusion, no people to help you and the line was so big that people could not read more than 100 meters before which was the line for European or not, this resulted in more confusion. Officers working there are just as bad as administration since they have an empty booth not working etc.. Train worked perfectly and when you go out of C to A-Z you get a short cut now, you don’t need to go out of the airport, walk those halls and enter again so some improvement there. The airport due to the extremely high movement of people is not that clean, still is not dirty, but far from Munich or Dusseldorf. Now has more noise than previously, they should measure the noise of the airport. Cleaning is there but the fact is (in my case) you will end up siting on a dirty chair in front of the gate, too many people, I suppose. But it works, I don’t recall in the last 3 to 4 years that they have lost one single bag at this airport, the bags always go with me wherever I go, the bags are there in the end, and sometimes we are talking about 35 minutes in between, but the fact is that it all works. Try a transit with 35 minutes in Paris (with bags) and let me know what happens to you.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"did not see a single drinking water fountain"

Verified Review | There is a dearth of drinking water fountains outside the washrooms at this airport. On my arrival in August, I did not see a single drinking water fountain just outside any washroom I used. I finally in desperation drank water from the hand washing fountain in the washroom, as I was not willing to pay 5 Euro for a small plastic bottle with drinking water. On my departure day, I found one lonesome drinking water fountain outside a small washroom at the gate area. All airports in Canada and the US have drinking water fountains (two, one higher and the other lower) outside every single washroom. Please, most travelers arrive dehydrated and deserve a free, reliable source of drinking water. Fountains are needed both before and after security control barriers! Please, lead by example and get rid of those water-filled plastic bottles! Instead, encourage passengers to bring a reusable bottle which they can fill at the fountain. As far as food is concerned, there is an overabundance of wheat / gluten-containing food. What about those travelers with gluten intolerance or even Celiac disease? They can't find anything suitable or would have to throw away more than half of the meal they purchase.

"poor level of service"

Unverified | Had the misfortune to use this airport for first time last week. Despite several attempts to arrange a wheelchair for my wife following a knee injury they attempted to offer us the expensive gate to gate service for our party of 7. No wheelchairs available at arrival gate had we had to walk for 50 minutes from the arrival gate to B destination gate (with wife in great discomfort) - only encountered 1 moving walkway of 50 metres in that time. Similarly only encountered 1 help desk person who was busy loading shuttle between terminals. The poor level of service compares badly with the excellent support and assistance we had encountered in the other legs of our journey at Heathrow, Toronto and Orlando airports. To add to our annoyance overzealous security checker called armed police as my granddaughters asthma pumps were mistaken for 'shells' - quite traumatic for my granddaughter.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"One of the easiest airports to transit through"

Verified Review | One of the easiest airports to transit through. There are multiple signs to indicate which direction you should go. Services in the airport are wonderful. Airport is extremely clean. There are many "forms" of seating available. Some are normal seats, and there are long seats that I slept on. Airport staff are responsive and polite. On the other hand, the security officers are very rude. Since some people in line had drinks in their bags, they got very frustrated. They talked to me in an impolite manner. What is my fault? My bags and everything I had complied with their requirements. Why should the security staff be rude to me just because of someone else? Overall, the airport itself is great, but security staff need to cooperate with people in a more professional way.
Date VisitJune 2017

"A reasonably good airport overall"

Verified Review | A reasonably good airport overall, with helpful staff and all the facilities you would normally expect. However, there were a few downfalls: The majority of the duty free shops are between passport control and security, which means that you have to be careful with the amount of liquids that you buy to avoid having to pour them down the drain before security. The signposting for getting from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 is not very clear - there are not enough signs within terminal 1 itself and it doesn't say whether it is via the SkyLine or the free bus. We ended up using the bus, which was extremely crowded. On the way back we used the SkyLine to get back to Terminal 1, which was less crowded and was easier to find because the signposting within Terminal 2 is more obvious. Food and water is very expensive once you have gone through the security check, though they do give you 0.25 euros back if you return the plastic bottle, which I think is good as it encourages recycling.