Airline of the Year

Faro Airport

"such a disappointment"

Unverified | I'm Portuguese living abroad and Faro airport used to be very good! Now it's the worst I've ever experienced. I'm recommended by the staff to arrive 2.5 hours before my flight. Last time during Easter I arrived 1.5 hours (just in case) and ended up being the last person on that plane. It's still under construction but that's not the real reason why it's underperforming. A staff member told me they had more people in May than in last year's peak time. There are 3 or 4 bag check lanes (if you're lucky). There are 2 passport control gates. Expect almost 1 hour waiting times for bag check and 1.5 hours for passport check. The reason I was able to take my last flight was because I politely skipped most of the line. Such a disappointment.
Date VisitJune 2017

"Enormous queues for bag drop"

Verified Review | Arrival last week was excellent. Short walk to passport control then baggage hall. Cases were there ready and waiting and so were pushchairs. Same can't be said for departures. It's like a cattle market and we are the cattle. Enormous queues for bag drop. Endless walking through a maze of barriers to security although once there it was quick. Airside though is a nightmare. Hardly any seating after security and before passport control (yes you have to do this before full airside) and we struggled to get pushchairs through the crowds of passengers waiting to know which passport control to go through based on their gate number. There is a Burger King with massive queues and the same for Costa. After passport control there is just a Costa and tiny duty free. Water can only be purchased from Costa in a 20-30 min queue or for €1.80 for 75cl from vending machines. If you don't have coins there is nowhere to get change. Worst departure airport I have experienced in the whole world. And only tiny gate info boards so really difficult to read.

"is now a chaotic mess"

Verified Review | I have travelled to the Algarve many times over the last 15 years and love it there. Faro Airport has never been the best place to pass security, but is now a chaotic mess. I travelled back on 17 June and it was a nightmare. 30 mins to get through security on a Saturday night when it was not particularly busy and only about 25 people in front of me! No air con, or if there was it wasn't working on the new side, so everyone was dripping sweat as it was 38c outside. Once through you a greeted by a packed waiting area and duty free shop, where hot angry people push and shove you. Hardly any seating and few information screens. Surly staff on the whole, who if questioned have a set reply. Horrible experience and will certainly make me think about going elsewhere. I also flew 3 other people during the week out from here and their experience was similar. The toilet facilities are inadequate for the amount using them. Our flight was delayed because of lack of bus capacity and waiting for people who could not get through. Come on Algarve you need to sort this - It is in your interest to do so.
Date VisitJune 2017

"whole place is a shambles"

Faro Airport is a complete disaster. Crammed like cattle near passport control area. No seating worth mentioning, people sitting on floors, staff who are not very helpful. We stopped near passport control area looking for a toilet, only to have a female in uniform keep shouting at me no stopping no stopping. I tried telling her I was looking for the toilet, again she shouted no stopping no stopping. After finaly finding the toilet, we went into a pizza place in the same area. I was heading to some vacant seats to order some food only to be bounced on by a manager who prevented me sitting down telling me seats were for customers purchasing food. At this point I told him that due to his manner I was taking my custom elsewhere, which I did. The whole place is a shambles.
Date VisitJune 2017

"staff were very helpful and friendly"

Verified Review | My husband and I travelled through Faro airport today, 2nd June 2017 with a flight at 11.50. From reading previous reviews on this site we were very worried about the airport and the expected congestion because of renovations. We therefore decided to arrive 3 hours before departure instead of 2 hours and everything went very smoothly. We travelled with Jet2.com and although the queue to drop off bags was long it kept moving and the staff were very helpful and friendly. Following this we went through security, again with a small queue which kept moving. Eventually we found ourselves in the duty free and onwards to the departure gate area. All in all it took about 1 hr 20 minutes from the time we arrived at the car park. We were not stressed and everything went smoothly and the flight was on time. On the other-hand if we had only arrived 2 hours before the flight then we would have been panicking whilst waiting in each queue for fear of missing our flight. Moral of this story is give yourself an extra hour at the airport and everything will be fine.
Date VisitJune 2017

"exceptionally bad management of this airport"

Verified Review | I'm currently sitting at the cafe (Paul) not too far from the entrance to the check-in desks. I should be on my easyJet flight arriving at Southend airport in the next 20 mins. The reason why I'm not on the flight: the exceptionally bad management of this airport, and the resulting chaos of too many people. Having already checked in online we were greeted to queues stretching from every bag drop and check-in counter that I could see, the worst of it was the easyJet counters, we had 2 bags to drop off, but had to stand behind 50+ people for over 50mins, when we reached the counter and dropped our bags off, the lady behind the counter said we should get through security quickly. So we hurried to security via the escalators, only to be greeted by about 150 people waiting to get through security, we spoke to two staff there, both of whom suggested we ask every person in front of us to let us go past them, as they are security there's nothing they can do. I've yet to see anyone try asking 75 people in front of them in a queue if it's alright to pass in front of them, without a fight erupting. So finally getting to the X-ray machine and metal detector 30 minutes later I ask if I should take my shoes off, the staff member says "it's fine", I ask "are you sure" and they reply "yes it's fine". I go through the metal detector, and it goes off, the security personnel pats me down, and asks for me to take my shoes off and he puts it through the X-ray machine again. At this point I realise there's a very slim chance of getting to the boarding gate, but there's no one to speak to. So I'm rushing to get to the gate, but am greeted to a duty free shop busy with people, which I need to get through to get to the desks, there's a complete jam of people near the end of the duty free shop as some very smart person thought of putting the entrance to the border control gates right there, I had to push past people going both ways just to get into the queue for the border control, I got into the queue for electronic passports, thinking this would be quick, but no, these machines weren't allowing some people through, and they weren't all working. Finally getting to one of the gates, it reads my passport and I wait for it to scan my face, but instead of adjusting it's height for someone who is 6 ft, it adjusts for someone who is 4 ft, and so it can't read my face and I'm trapped between the barriers until it can, then magically the barrier opens up (a major security flaw in my view as a facial recognition system shouldn't accept someone's stomach as a facial ID, I will be reporting this to the relevant international/European authorities). So I finally get through, check the displays for my gate (which doesn't say the gate is closed), run to the gate and find out the flight has already left. Easyjet staff takes us around to Arrivals to pick up our bags and takes us back to departures to speak to easyjet information, they also don't have luggage storage here currently.
Date VisitMay 2017

"What an absolute shambles"

Verified Review | What an absolute shambles! From arriving at Faro airport having to wait 2 hours to get our cases to our return trip of constant queuing and nearly missing the plane because of it. We usually go every year and have never experienced this before, never again! So stressful.
Date VisitMay 2017

"the departure was horrendous"

The airport is having building works done but the departure was horrendous. Too many people for the facilities. Queues everywhere for toilets, for food, for seats, people sitting and lying on the floor. The airport should reduce flights and capacity while these works are completed.
Date VisitMay 2017

"no staff on hand to assist"

Verified Review | Travelled out of Faro on a Sunday in May with Monarch. I cannot believe the chaos that meets you as a passenger. Our party arrived in good time however check in took over 30 minutes despite having priority check in. Long queues greeted every step of the process from a cursory check for passports through to security which took over 45 minutes. Once through it gets worse - building work restricts the terminal as all passengers are forced through duty free shop. Once through to the 4 food/drink outlets the area becomes gridlocked. Queues proceeded to develop into duty free shop for the passport control area. None of the e-passport lanes were open - why is that? Tempers develop as people try and jump the passport queue and no staff on hand to assist. Now comes the classic for our trip back to Luton - have boarding pass checked get on bus and taken to aircraft. The short journey is not pleasant as driver keeps breaking sharply and it appeared at times we were travelling too fast. Held on tarmac for 20 mins as plane is still being cleaned. Given go ahead get on plane and sit down and a cursory chat with one if the flight crew reveals we are actually sitting on a Monarch flight to Gatwick. Flight crew apologise it is established the driver is at fault. Another bus is requested but this time they bring a smaller bus to pick us up so 15 of us are left on the tarmac for another 15 minutes. You couldn't make it up No idea how Faro will manage peak season and I will not travel there again.
Date VisitMay 2017

"put us off visiting the Algarve"

This was our fifth visit to Faro airport, this being by far our worst experience. We arrived early on Sunday morning, 3 hrs prior to flight time. Found the airport very busy, with long queues at most desks. For Thomson, we had to walk to seemingly the far end of the building for our desk. We required special assistance, has my wife has trouble climbing steps to the plane. We were directed, after check in to an area of seating and told to await the SA team to come and pick us up, and take us through to the gate. Many people were left waiting for over an hour. With departure times getting closer, and no one from SA turning up to help, the many people gathered there. Despite drawing attention of many staff, still nothing happened. Bearing in mind many people here, were vulnerable, and urgently needed help. We were constantly told that they were very busy. This I cannot understand, as they must have been aware of the numbers booking SA service, prior to arriving. No major delays with planes was obvious, so why the problem. They should staff up accordingly. The airport was very disorganised, understand being refurbished, but that is no excuse. After waiting nearly 1.5 hours, we went through on our own. After queuing for 30 mins or so to get through to the gates, we had to miss duty free, etc and rush to plane. At gate we were placed in a room, that had seats etc for circa 200 at most, this plane had over 300 people waiting. This experience had certainly put us off visiting the Algarve, or we may have to fly to Lisbon next time and travel down. Until this airport is sorted out, and staffed better it will discourage a lot of British visitors. We were certainly not the only ones making this comment. Toilets etc also were not clean, another symptom of poor staffing.