Faro Airport

Review by (United Kingdom)

Arrivals at Faro are not too bad, queues at passport control manageable and baggage reclaim relatively quick. Obviously, as a holiday airport there are people milling around in arrivals looking for car rental and transfers but it all seems to work ok. Departing from Faro is a different story. Expect long, slow check in lines and repeat the experience at security. There's never any sign of anyone organising or controlling the system. Goodness knows what it's like in July and August. On my last visit, the Gents toilets stank, most of the soap dispensers at the sinks were empty, there were no paper towels to dry your hands and the hot air dryers didn't work. Food and drink (such as is available) is poor and ridiculously overpriced. There was litter everywhere. The whole place is a classic example of the "if you don't like it you can stick it up your bum" attitude that pervades so many airport operations. The Portuguese are wonderful, generous hospitable people. You'd not know it from travelling through Faro Airport
Date VisitJune 2015

Review by (United Kingdom)

Airport lounge at Faro was terrible 1 choice of awful sandwich and fruit salad. Debris all over as cleaner was sitting on chair making phone call. Actually left the lounge and bought a sandwich at subway. Complained there and complained back home to airport directly and Lounge Pass who we booked through. Both not interested. Do not pay to visit Faro lounge.

Review by (United Kingdom)

Just awful. Incredibly rude staff on the security at bag scan. Just making up rules for different passengers which were impossible to comply with on total power trip. Very upsetting. Awful experience.
Terminal Cleanliness N/A
Airport Shopping N/A

Review by (Germany)

The most awful airport I have ever had to use. No daylight. In front of security checkpoint there are bottles over bottles on the floor which are not removed. No free WiFi not even for 30 minutes as at most other airports. I carried by accident a pepper spray into plane and no one realized. Unfriendly staff. Half of the shops are closed or are being renovated. After baggage drop off you can't find anything to carry your heavy hand luggage. Waiting are at gate opens only 50 min before departure therefore you have to wait in the dark hall with no daylight. Dirty windows in waiting area A 52. Very dirty and disgusting toilets.

Review by (United Kingdom)

I just wanted to say a big thank you to all the way staff at Faro Airport who were not only a fantastic help but were also very friendly and were only to happy to take us in the wheelchairs to our flight area and they also took us on to the plane. This was our first time we had uses this service and were a little nervous thank you all again for all your help this made our trip a pleasure.

Review by (United Kingdom)

30th April 2014 arrived at Faro with 2 hours before take off. I fly to Faro 4/5 times a year and have never experienced such a stressful time as I did on 30th April. Easyjet bag drop off area was quick and efficient cannot say the same about customs. I was travelling with a friend and her 2 year old daughter we joined a queue and in total there must of been 300/400 people in queue's. We didn't move for the first half an hour more and more people were coming in but nowhere to go no one knew what the problem was and tempers were starting to rise including mine. It finally took 1 hour 15 mins to get through and even then I got stopped with the alarm going off and had a very unpleasant experience with the woman who was searching me and almost slapped her face. We then got in the passport queue and finally just made the flight by the skin of our teeth. I would love to know what the problem were and do not want to experience that day again ever stress levels were through the roof.

Review by (Netherlands)

We were more then 2 hours early to the airport and still almost missed our plane. Checking in went very fast but we waited for over 1.5 hour for customs. There were about 300 people waiting in a very hot area. Customs changed the line constantly so people who came later were through customs earlier then others who waited for over 2 hours. People became very mad because they almost missed their plane. Customs did not seem to care. Staff were very slow. There are about 8 passages they used only 3. The shops behind customs did not have any customers because no passenger had the time. An awful experience. Customs should realise that if they continue this behaviour the economy of this area will suffer. I will never fly again from Faro.

Review by (United Kingdom)

Queues were unacceptable. Staff levels too low for amount of traffic. Airport not very modern it's dark gloomy and scruffy. The charge for soft drinks at their bar is ridiculous and the quality bad. Staff didn't care when complained.

Review by (Germany)

In general the airport is not great but is what you would expect for a highly seasoned airport if you go there in the summer you will find rather huge queues staff are not the best but you will find very warm and nice people especially if they are younger. Food is overpriced but you can bring it yourself. It's a typical Low-cost airport so no surprise when you get there. The biggest problem in the airport are the passport control queues in the non-schegen are because many times 6 or 7 aircraft arrive at the same time so yo can expect to be at least half an hour in the queue. Other than that it's a rather normal airport.

Review by (Netherlands)

Despite having a fairly 'modern' appearance the terminal is dark messy stuffy and dirty. On my last trip out I was once again confronted with extremely long lines at check in and security. Staff at check-in security and two retail outlets were very unfriendly even rude. I can not believe that no-one that works at this airport realizes that the service level of the staff has tremendous and negative impact on the perception of the travelers. I for sure think this is a terribly bad airport and I dread my travel through it every time I visit. Other negative experiences on this trip: misinformation on the flight information screens several menu items in the 'self service restaurant' not available (marked with a hand written sign: 'coming soon') and outrageously expensive toilets out of paper and non working vending machines at the gate. I get the impression that management of the airport is totally incompetent and un-caring. Faro Airport is as bad a promotion of the Algarve as it can get.