Edinburgh Airport

"total disregard for arriving passengers"

Not Verified | Whoever is in charge of the absolute shambles that is Edinburgh airport, should be instantly sacked and replaced by a monkey, as it would be a step in the right direction. They have extended and extended and extended, more and more departure gates, but with no thought whatsoever about arrivals. In the last year I have arrived at Edinburgh and had no one available to bring steps to the plane, sat waiting on the transfer bus, until they find someone to open a door (more than once). Once you get in the airport, you are taken up stairs, then down stairs to the passport control, which has not changed in some 10-15 years, not nearly adequate for the volume of passengers they handle these days. Get in to baggage reclaim, not one trolley, nothing! Get outside and no taxis, two companies are given contracts at the airport, yet twice in the last year we have arrived and not one taxi, ridiculous. Where the taxi ranks are positioned is about as awkward and unsafe as they could possibly be. The total disregard for arriving passengers is an absolute disgrace!
Date VisitMay 2018

"far outgrown its capacity"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | EDI has far outgrown its capacity. Business Class lounge No 1 is perfectly adequate, but when not travelling with that facility, there is barely room to sit and wait for a departing flight. Even in the BC lounge, trying to get from it to the gate is a major task with no design thought given to people flow. Obviously for commercial reasons, the Duty Free shopping area is given a large footprint, but even that has been ill thought out; when you make a purchase you have to queue to pay. Checking in at Qatar Airways BC was the worst I have ever encountered. 30 minutes with 2 pax in front of me. The staff, whilst pleasant, (who operate for One World) appeared to be doing check in for the first time, seemingly unaware of process and procedures. Security at the airport is well-managed and efficient, and that's both in Fast Track and without that bonus. The owners and managers need to spend serious cash on upgrading, (expanding) the space, as it is currently an extremely tedious operation.
Date VisitApril 2018

"third world in terms of facilities"

Trip Verified | Arrived into Edi from BFs. It's only a 25/30 min flight. On arrival our aircraft parked remotely near to gate 1. We were being bussed to the terminal which incidentally is a 2 min walk from where our aircraft parked. It took approx 8 mins to load up the buses. A further 12 mins on bus as our driver took us on a full tour of the airfield. We were eventually dumped at gate 28 the furthermost point from our arrival. Given the distance was a 10 minute hike through the airport terminal the total time spent was actually longer than the actual flight. Edi airport is third world in terms of facilities. If you have the option of avoiding the airport I would strongly advise it.
Date VisitMay 2018

"an embarrassment to Scotland"

Not Verified | I fly to a lot of airports but felt the need to write a review from the impression I received when returning home to Edinburgh. It really is unacceptable that an airport that charges so much for parking is in such a dire state. It felt like I was arriving at a third world country that has no budget. You are forced to walk down narrow corridors that are basically temporary buildings. The building has carpets on the ground that are so old and disgusting, I'm sure they must be a health risk. There are so many great clean airports in Europe that are less busy than Edinburgh and setting much better standards. Edinburgh airport arrivals is an embarrassment to Scotland.
Date VisitApril 2018

"much improved but keep going"

Trip Verified | New extension to gates is impressive but floor escalator not working so mad crammed people walking. Ok I think it’s getting better. Just the same feedback as most people. Security staff please ditch the harsh accents and try and speak professionally. One lady “couldnae” understand a word you were saying cause you kept saying “couldnae”. For goodness sake. This is becoming one of the busiest routes in the UK with direct flights to China. Professionalism greatly required in the way the staff speak English. Also same gripe at security. So dour and unfriendly. Who manages this team. They look so harassed and depressed. Come on. Read this feedback. Arrivals still absolutely third world looking and dirty and tired and an eon to get your luggage. When is arrivals and baggage reclaim getting a make over? Staff here are so few and absolutely knowledge of the city. I had to explain how to get into town and good places to eat to one lady. The girl on duty looked bored and hadn’t a clue. Come on this is the first contact with Scotland people have. Arrivals needs upgrading ASAP . Trolleys are old and dirty. Sorry just came from Amsterdam. Edinburgh team take a flight over there and see how it’s done. They even have bed seats and a library. Come on Edinburgh. Up your game more. Much improved but keep going.
Date VisitApril 2018

"I despair of Edinburgh airport"

Trip Verified | I despair of Edinburgh airport. I know they are trying to make it a better experience for passengers, after all the security staff smiled this time while they were shouting at us weary folks, but they are not trying hard enough. A regular visitor to Edinburgh over two decades, I have watched standards fall. My main bugbear is security. It is a chaotic mess and a deeply unpleasant experience. The notified "Time through security" notice is, in my experience, fabricated. Security staff always seem panic stricken & stressed. It needs more lanes open and the staff trained in politeness. Do not treat us with contempt! I always trigger the alarm, despite divesting myself of all metal. I'm beginning to think something was left behind in surgery as is a regular occurrence, although have to say this does not happen at any other airport I've used! I end up having to stand in front of the scanner then patted down. Annoying & sometimes humiliating. I had to queue to wait for my tray which had triggered the alarm as my hand baggage contained chocolate fudge! (A Victor Meldrew moment ensued.) In the mêlée I left my wristwatch behind. Never to be seen again, even though I checked on Edinburgh's lost property website! Thought the worst was over when I discovered the Flybe flight was delayed, which really made my day. The airport is crowded and uncomfortable and passengers must be given priorty over yet more shops. I make a comparison with other UK airports like Birmingham, and think "Why can't Edinburgh be this good?" Pluses? A good choice of food & drinks although overpriced as is usual in airports. As I always dread flying from EDI, I've made a decision that next time I'm taking a well earned break in Ireland instead. Edinburgh is a wonderful city but your airport is an utter nightmare.
Date VisitApril 2018

"no staff around anywhere"

(Hong Kong)

Not Verified | As a Scot I prefer flying direct to Edinburgh. Arrived on Qatar Airways, walked to an old bus which they packed us onto. Drove to passport check area. Electronic pass kept switching off. Baggage arrival, no staff around anywhere. For 3rd time my bags room at least 40 minutes to appear. Forget about priority luggage! No other flights at that time. Departing is good, its an efficient well laid out set up. Shame arrival is 3rd world country style.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"horrible environment for any passenger"

Trip Verified | Travelling through an airport is a stressful enough experience for most passengers, some airports manage to make the experience bearable, sadly not Edinburgh airport. On arrival the baggage transfer to the carousel takes longer than at other airports that are bigger. Given that you can almost see the aircraft outside just meters from the carousel its a mystery why it takes the baggage handlers so long to unload the bags to the carousel. I have encountered slow baggage transfer times on more than one occasion at this airport so its not just a one off. On departure don't waste your money on the 'fastrack' security facility as its nothing more than a bit of a 'short cut' before you end up back queuing in the soul-less security hall with every other passenger. The security hall is reminiscent of some scene from a bad movie set in an old eastern block country, it's just a horrible, cold, unwelcoming and staffed by employees that are equally suited to the environment. The actual queue times don't match those stated by the airport as 'current queuing times' they were significantly greater than suggested! The set up in this area is clearly not geared up to cope with the passenger numbers and its a chaotic, muddled and just plain horrible environment for any passenger to be in. Staff here just shout at passengers as if they were cattle going to slaughter! Edinburgh airport is probably the worst in the UK, it's certainly the most depressing security experience. There is absolutely no need to shout at passengers and treat them as if they are cattle regardless of how important a role the security process is! Facilities in the terminal air side are fine but basic.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"Really bad experience"

Not Verified | This is our first time to Edinburgh airport, our flight was delayed from Edinburgh to Cardiff for one hour, the girl at the luggage counter was so unhelpful, I was with my child and wife with 3 luggage’s in hand, airport was very quiet late evening. I approached her to check regarding the boarding of my luggage, she was busy texting someone on her mobile phone, in a rude manor telling me to go and follow the system guidelines, didn’t even take a bit initiative to help me out in that situation. Really bad experience, other than that all the staff were very professional.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"An airport to avoid if at all possible"

Trip Verified | After suffering this airport several times over the past few months I thought it time to review it. Check in and security on departure has improved, is usually pretty good and we have not experienced any major issues. However our arrival into the airport last Saturday was yet another example of the contempt this airport holds its customers in. The flight parked up at the gate at the far end of the airport at approximately 8pm. It took 10 minutes for the steps to arrive. I guess they did not know we were landing! We were then herded onto one of two buses for our transfer to immigration. Despite the cold the buses sat for 10 minutes with the doors open whilst the ground staff talked amongst themselves. We were then driven to the other side of the airport, a journey which took another 10 minutes. The coaches then sat outside immigration for 5 minutes before we were let off and allowed to walk, in the cold, over the tarmac into the immigration hall. This is a relatively small area. My thoughts are that the disembarkation process and transfer to immigration are staged to ensure there is enough capacity in this area. People were then told to go to the electronic gates and use the machines to enter whilst the border staff stood or sat at their stations watching. As the queues built some people were allowed to enter via the border staff stations. Once through it was another 20 minutes for the luggage to arrive. After that it is another 10 minute walk back down the whole length of the terminal to get to the buses/car park/pick up point. This is supposed to be an International airport. It's far from it and management would be well advised to visit other airports to see how it can and should be done. An airport to avoid if at all possible.
Date VisitFebruary 2018