Edinburgh Airport

"45 minutes to get through security"

Verified Review | The experience at Security was truly awful (August 2017). It's a couple of years since I last flew from Edinburgh and I remember long queues at security then but now the system has been changed and made much worse. 1st - long queues to get through the automated scanning barriers and no staff on hand to assist since everyone knows how to do this correctly now i.e put the boarding card the right way up, etc. 2nd - I was travelling with a passenger in a wheelchair and of course this route is not suitable as the barriers are too narrow. So then we had to re-trace our steps and join the Family Lane which was not immediately apparent a loads of people were standing in front of the sign including 'normal' passengers who should not have been in that lane. No mention of wheelchairs or any categories who might be allowed. 3rd - the only member of staff present was the hustler trying to get people to pay £5 to fastback security. Ha Ha! If they can delay the majority of passengers long enough and persuade mugs to pay £5 then can I expect they will improve security (or increase the operators profit). 4th - the system for queuing and filling trays was designed by someone who's never been to an airport. Nowadays you need about 3 trays each for phones, keys, coats, belts, oversized bags, jackets, etc and therefore you have to stand for ages waiting for a space to push your tray through the scanner. 7 passengers can wait together with at least one behind. It gives the illusion of progress but is just another way of making things slow. 5th - the staff were extremely rude - maybe harassed and fed up - but it just makes the passenger's experience even worse. Honestly - 45 minutes to get through security - it's a joke. OK you can say that the airport is busy at rush hour and due to Edinburgh festival etc but if you accept the flights you have to man up and provide resources accordingly. My main gripe is that the whole system of queuing and re-queueing is badly designed and the place is completely under-staffed for the job in hand.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"shocking treatment of arriving passengers"

Verified Review | Truly shocking treatment of arriving passengers - yet again. Parked on stand 22 (arriving EasyJet from Belfast) 30 yards from the terminal. Waited 20 minutes for a bus (yes - a bus) which then took us on a not so scenic tour to the opposite end of the airport and all the way back again! We then watched passengers walking out to board "our" plane - adding anger to the rising sense of frustration - as we were finally dropped off at the Terminal, another 20 minutes later and 30 yards from where we disembarked. No apology, no explanation and no respect for decent fare paying passengers. This airport has lost the plot.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"there was not one gluten free sandwich"

Unverified | Very busy airport, Edinburgh Festival in full swing! I was doing a day return from KOI on arrival and I was able to get straight through to the tram and be on my way. On my return later I went straight to security, long queues but they moved swiftly we were guided by staff as to where to stand etc, all ok! However I wanted something to eat and in all the fast good takeaway outlets there was not one gluten free sandwich, wrap or other savoury item! I did find a rather boring tuna salad! Very dissatisfied!
Date VisitAugust 2017

"ground staff seem unable to plan ahead"

Verified Review | Consistently poor ground staff with the worst delays I have encountered trying to leave an aircraft. Regardless of if it is an international or domestic, the ground staff seem unable to plan ahead and have facilities ready for an aircraft arrival. 20 minutes waiting on a bus to take us to the terminal? Even in the busiest of airports I have never waited so long and for so many times. Maybe it's a staff shortage? Maybe poor planning, maybe the airport is trying to be something it can't be?? Whatever it is, Edinburgh Airport is the worst airport to depart/arrive in the UK. Sort it out!
Date VisitAugust 2017

"the worst baggage reclaim in the UK"

Unverified | Must be the worst baggage reclaim in the UK. Twice this month I have had to wait for over an hour. Each time there no baggage being delivered while four flights waited. Our flight from Luton was already one hour late arriving because of delayed turn around at Edinburgh. I have my suspicions that they keep the baggage handling short staff in order to maximise parking charges. If it wasn't for this I would have given Edinburgh 9/10.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"my experience wasn't great"

Verified Review | Someone said that this is Scotland's flagship airport. Really? Then Scotland has a big problem. I flew out and back this last week and my experience wasn't great. For example, I had to try four soap dispensers in the dirty men's toilets before I found one that had some soap in it. Our gate was called and we walked down to an outside open pavement where we all waited for nearly fifteen minutes - why? Then, eventually a bus arrived and we were taken to the plane when we waited nearly 10 minutes before we were let off. Was it a big surprise then that we left late? When we arrived back in Edinburgh late on Saturday night we were again taken by bus to a gate. Number 15 to be exact, which is almost as far as you can walk in the airport to get to where you collect baggage. Why did they do this when they could have taken us to any gate, such as 11/12? Customers are a commodity to be moved around without any regard to their comfort or well being. Some of my fellow passengers were struggling with that long (oh so unnecessary) walk into the main body of the terminal. Shame on you, thoughtless and uncaring Edinburgh Airport.

"Very disappointed"

Unverified | A disgraceful amount of time to wait for our baggage! After an already late flight we waited 1 hour for our baggage to arrive. Why flights that arrived after us had their baggage delivered before us I do not know. We were continually told that our bags would be delivered in 5 to 10 minutes time. After an hour eventually we received our bags. Very disappointed!
Date VisitJuly 2017

"Airport quite simply is a shambles"

Verified Review | Edinburgh Airport quite simply is a shambles. It is far too small for the passenger load. Signage is poor. Staff are unhelpful and queuing is the norm, particularly for security. Seating is in short supply. Clearly the airport has sublet most of the available space to retail outlets at the expense of public seating, particularly in the departures area. WiFi is free for 2 hours than available at a completely outrageous hourly rate. So if your flight is delayed, and you really need wifi, you have to pay a fortune to get access. Remember, international travellers very likely do not have network connectivity at the airport. When we went to the departure gate, boarding was through one lane. A second lane was opened and we were invited to use both queues. As we moved forward we were aggressively rebuked for queue jumping. We thought we were following instructions. There is never an excuse for rude and unhelpful conduct in a public service area towards customers. Clearly the staff at Edinburgh airport never got that email. Just not good enough.

"not improved one bit"

Unverified | Edinburgh airport continually fails to provide pre-booked Special Assistance, thereby causing extreme distress to ill and disabled travellers. This has not improved one bit, despite them recently being graded as the worst airport in the UK for special assistance. The staff and management should hang their heads in shame as they are making air travel such a humiliating ordeal for people who certainly don't need to face this sort of hassle every time they fly.
Date VisitJune 2017

"extended wait and lack of civility"

(Austria)

Unverified | I was shocked at the treatment of non EU citizens at the Border Control at Edinburgh Airport. While EU citizens were moving steadily toward the control area (since all but one passport control desk were checking their passports), we who were not EU citizens stood without moving at all for minutes at a time. After 45 minutes, one large group was even allowed to jump the queue for unknown reasons. Once all the EU citizens were through, a few other desks were open to deal with us and our line actually starting moving. As usual, I was treated like some kind of criminal with endless questions about my 5 day visit to Edinburgh to see my daughter. The border control policeman was totally unpleasant. The combination of the extended wait and lack of civility were completely inexcusable and unprofessional. Non EU citizens deserve the same treatment as EU citizens.