Vote Now

Edinburgh Airport

"getting worse"

Verified Review | Getting worse for early morning flights. Can't cope with the passenger volumes and queues are very long. You are likely to miss your flight going through security. Used to be brilliant but getting worse weekly as I travel most weeks and can see a visible difference. If things don't change on early flights through security will mean passengers will avoid if they can.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"luggage took over 50 minutes to appear"

Verified Review | Arrived on Austrian Air flight from Innsbruck at 9.30am. No other flights were in arrivals to collect baggage. As when we used this flight in January, the luggage took over 50 minutes to appear after we had gone through passport control. The skis appeared first then the indicator board said delivery completed when about half the passengers were still waiting for luggage to appear. One employee said it was nothing to do with him. Another passenger used a phone beside the luggage belt to try to get help from somebody! and eventually we got our baggage. For this to happen once, if difficulties arise, is understandable but this looks like an on-going serious problem. What impression must this make on visitors to our country?
Date VisitMarch 2017

"I am so grateful for their help"

Verified Review | Returned to Stansted from Edinburgh today. Whilst going through Security I lost my fitbit band (it was a gift from my grandchildren so very precious to me) the staff on aisle 3 were so kind and quickly checked the trays they assured me that if the band was not found before my flight they would send it on to me. I am so grateful for their help and their help and speedy return of my property.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"What has gone wrong?"

Verified Review | As a regular user of Edinburgh Airport. I returned on Tuesday after a holiday which involved several internal flights in Myanmar, and visits to Singapore and Bali, I returned on the first flight of the day arriving from Abu Dhabi and, in comparison with even the most modest of the airports I have used I was instantly aware of the third world quality of the facilities. Entry to the airport is through a succession of grubby ill maintained corridors, The seats in baggage reclaim are worn out, and there must be no,excuse for dirty toilets at this time of the day. I have noticed the lack of cleanliness before but assumed this was due to pressure of use, but surely cleaning is undertaken over night. It is humiliating for a local to know that visitors arrive at such a poorly maintained and third rate airport. Can anything be done about it? Surely at least cleanliness should be a priority? What has gone wrong?
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"excruciating airport"

Verified Review | Excruciating airport - from the signage to the check-in area to the complete mess that is security and boarding, Edinburgh's airport has redefined what "1" means on a scale of 1-10. As a frequent traveler for both business and pleasure, I'm used to encountering the oddities of airports both large and small. I’ve actually seen tiny 3rd world airports that run better than this place, e.g: The signage is either poor or non-existent. The check in area is so poorly designed that queues for different airlines all run together. Apparently, there are self-check in machines, but the instructions are inscrutable by the average human. And then there is the joy of security. As a frequent traveler, I earned a spot in the so-called premium line. They really needn't have bothered breaking it out from the regular lines, unless the goals was to put the surliest, nastiest security officers all in one place to ensure that premium travelers have the worst possible experience. But it was the nastiness of the humans that they have hired to work security that made it special for me. As an American, I'm used to certain travel regulations regarding liquids. We are allowed more than a single plastic bag with our toiletries; the TSA screeners only care that the liquids are of the appropriate size but do not lose their minds if one has 2 or 3 small bags of said liquids. Apparently, not only is this not the case in Scotland, but they take a certain sadistic pride in enforcing this. Not that there is a single sign in the pre-security area that let's travelers know this. As an airport that purports to cater to an "international" crowd, one might expect that they would take extra care in explaining to travelers what the local regulations are. As a seasoned traveler, I know the drill: I carefully binned up my purse, bag, coat, and boots, and removed my 2 little bags of liquids, as well as any other item that might create a problem in screening. Enter the female security officer who, in the most unpleasant way possible, informed me after all my luggage had been put into bins and passed through the x-ray machine (with literally 50 people in my line behind me), that I was absolutely not allowed to have more than 1 small bag of liquids. I looked up confused, and said, "Oh, sorry, I didn't know. In the US, we can have more." She shot me a dirty look and sneered, "Well, this is not the US." (You don't say.) I then commented that it would have been useful to have some signs explaining this before security, so people could reorganize before getting to this point, her snippy response: "Maybe you should research the places you travel before you go there so you know these things,” Nice attitude. I can see why she works in a customer-facing job. And then there were the incompetent gate agents. Our flight to Frankfurt boarded 30 minutes late. The delay was due to the fact that airport personnel had left 3 passengers on our plane who needed wheelchairs. Apparently, not one of the 6 gate agents, who were sitting around laughing and talking, could be bothered to deal with getting the wheelchairs. Not that they thought to make an announcement to even let the passengers know what was happening. When we finally did board, the gate agents took their time, gabbing with each other, chatting with passengers casually, and making the boarding process for a short flight take longer than the flight itself. In short: Never again.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"better than expected"

Edinburgh airport has been having more than a few bad reviews in recent months but my experience was better than expected. Price for car park was reasonable at £36 for 8 days in the multi storey (also gives fast track security access). Time taken from arrival at car park to departure lounge was 15 minutes. No complaints. On return from Gran Canaria our plane parked at the cargo part of the airport which meant bussing to terminal. Touchdown to exiting terminal to carpark was 55 minutes of which about 35 minutes was waiting for our luggage. Should do better.

"not a bad experience"

After reading so many bad reviews about Edinburgh Airport I was genuinely a bit apprehensive about using the place flying from here with Lufthansa to Johannesburg via Frankfurt, but overall both on departure and arrival we didn't have any major gripes. The security area is about half the size of Glasgow Airport, where we normally fly from, so if you were trying to get through there during the busy morning or early evening departure times, or god forbid during the summer holiday period, I could see where things could go badly wrong. There is a separate business class aisle, although it didn't include Lufthansa passengers, but as we had fast track parking we could use this aisle, a bit bizarre. The best thing to do is get there early enough if you can to avoid any stress if it's in the busy period. Fortunately for us we were through in about 5 minutes, and once through security you are into the duty free / shopping area. After spending some time in the Aspire Lounge, we boarded our flight to Frankfurt. On our return we were led down a few corridors to passport control, once through there you are into the baggage reclaim, which has 3 carousels. Our bags came through pretty quickly, so it was through customs, and back to the multi storey car park for the drive home. I think one of the factors in people's poor perception about the airport are the low ceilings, which gives the place a dingy feeling, compared to other airports. Overall not a bad experience through Edinburgh Airport
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"the system is fatally flawed"

Verified Review | My wife and I are frequent flyers from Edinburgh. The same points keep coming up on reviews by passengers. Security, although much improved since its introduction is still not a good experience. The design is wrong and no matter how much management tinker with it, it will never get better. Because someone has decided they want hand luggage in the trays, the trays are much bigger than the previous system, with the consequence that the conveyor moves too slowly and you cannot put your luggage and personal items in sequence with each other. At the end of the line, you get your luggage and then have to wait for the tray with your personal items, which is half empty. This creates considerable congestion. Somehow, you are then expected to balance both trays and take to a desk area to sort out your personal items. I retire this year after 40 years in management positions, and I can tell you that this system will never achieve the same levels of efficiency as the previous security hall. Airport management can put as much spin as they like on it, but they must know the system is fatally flawed. Arrival in the new secondary international area looks like it is a temporary facility but unbelievably it is the finished article. It seems that the airport management are more interested in spending money on the shopping precinct than on making sure there is a good customer experience. Another frequent comment over the years has been the long delays in getting luggage. The airport management keep saying this is not their problem but the airlines and their handling agents. But good airport management would realise that customers don't differentiate in who is responsible. It is the airport management's role to fix this. On our journey out on 7th January, there was a fiasco with disabled handling. Apparently, a passenger requiring assistance had been left onboard the incoming flight. Headless chickens come to mind in trying to sort this out. The result was that wheelchair users for the outgoing flight had to wait in the cold, outdoor perspex area for 45 minutes. In addition, it caused the flight to be late leaving and almost missed its slot which would have resulted in an hour's delay. Edinburgh used to be a great airport to fly through. But now the passenger areas are grubby and there is little interest in the passenger having a good experience. More often than not and in our case, we have to tolerate it as it is the closest airport to home. Like many on this review website, it would not be our airport of choice.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"this airport has most inefficient security system"

We are widely travelled and have to say this airport has most inefficient security system we have ever experienced. Leave plenty of time to go through or use another airport if you can. If I had a choice I would never use this airport. I have been several times and it doesn't improve.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"shopping selection better than most airports"

Verified Review | Have used Edinburgh airport at least once a year. On this occasion we were spending a long weekend in Edinburgh, travelling up from LHR. Our flight arrived slightly ahead of schedule and parked at Gate 11. We deplaned at 18:56, and had collected our baggage at 19:09. There are various ground transportation options. In the past we have used taxis and buses to get to Edinburgh City Centre. As our destination was on the other side of Edinburgh, this time we got a private hire vehicle from the office by the car park (plenty of signs from the terminal building). On departing Edinburgh, things were different. A global issue with BA's check-in system meant we were delayed in dropping our luggage off for over an hour. There are limited options before Security - most of the time was spent staring at the boards willing it to change. However, once we did get to Bag Drop, things improved. We were allowed to join the check in queue at 12:00, and passed through Security into Departures at 12:36. We used the No1 Lounge which provided a safe haven from the crowds (most BA flights including ours were delayed). With a very good selection of complimentary drinks available, plus ample reading material we were able to relax before our flight was finally called. The shopping selection at Edinburgh is better than most airports I have been to. More reasonably priced items that would appeal to the majority.
Date VisitNovember 2016