Top 100 Airlines

Edinburgh Airport

"security checks were silly"

(Saudi Arabia)

Granted Edinburgh airport looks clean and tidy but I walked all the way through to the aircraft without being asked to see my passport. The security checks were silly, wasn't able to take a roll on deodorant and toothpaste as they wouldn't fit in the tiny bag. I was able to buy them back and a lot more once I got through and the security staff could learn some manners when talking to people.
Date VisitMay 2016

"leaves a very sour taste"

I have never been treated with such disrespect by security staff as at Edinburgh airport. I had bagged my cosmetics inside a clear plastic bag I found in a designated bagging area prior to security. When I got to security, grown men were getting shouted at and treated as schoolchildren - it all created an intimidating and chaotic atmosphere. I was barked at by a male member of staff when I tried to put my tray on the belt. Once I waited for my turn under his glare he told me the bag was not their designated size and presented me with a smaller bag. I told him I'd taken it from their own bagging area and he accused me of lying. He was incredibly patronising, rude and thoroughly enjoying bossing me around. I will never travel via Edinburgh airport again if I can help it. The most ridiculous thing is that straight after security, you are herded into a massive Superdrug where you can buy all your thrown cosmetics again. So all the talk about one bag of tiny dimensions per passenger is actually insane. The airport layout is chaotic and difficult to navigate, everything seems to be designed to help you part with your money, and hinder your easy transit form A to B. It leaves a very sour taste in your mouth after a great experience in the city.

"people were crammed in"

With everyone raving about passenger numbers increasing I had thought I would give the airport on my doorstep a go. Normally travel south, stay with family and then fly. My experience of Edinburgh airport is that it is cramped, not enough room to swing a cat, you are always avoiding people. On the way out there weren't any real problems apart from walking out to the aircraft. If Edinburgh is going to compete it needs massive investment or it will lose trade and people will be put off flying to or flying or from the airport. On my return arrival, going through immigration there were far too many people for the size of room required. The aircraft I landed with was taken a fair distance from the terminal and bused to the corner. At this location we were held in a queue where we could see large queues outside the building to get in, these queues didn't appear to move every efficiently. So once in the room people were crammed in like a cattle market, very poor ventilation and the lighting made for a dingy place. As said queuing outside so by time we got in and through passport control/immigration I used scanner it took over an hour. From what I could see all counters had staff on just pure numbers of people made it impossible to make any dent in the numbers. People arriving in Scotland not best impression. Won't consider flying in out again.
Date VisitMay 2016

"a dreadful unfinished looking shed"

Arrived unknowingly at the "new" terminal 2 earlier today from Barcelona. It was a Ryanair flight so we were loaded onto buses on leaving the aeroplane and sat on the Tarmac for 5 mins after the bus was full, crawled half way round the airport and stopped near arrivals for fully 10 mins before moving 30 yards to our destination. Brand new terminal and still using buses? No problems through border security but had time to look round and, as I entered the green channel, I asked a customs officer in all sincerity if this area was a temporary facility only to be told I was in the new terminal 2. Wow! I was stunned. I live in Edinburgh and use the airport for most trips abroad and have always said we must have the worst baggage handlers in the world (and I have visited a lot!) now we have a dreadful unfinished looking shed to boot. Oh and £1 drop of fee at a shambles of an entry road system. To be fair, other areas look very smart but with rising passenger numbers it's going to struggle to cope very soon. I too am embarrassed to see what foreign visitors see. Expensive food, drinks and shops and some staff just seem to be hanging around (actually walked past 2 with their feet up using their mobiles at the exit of customs channel).

"tired and fed up"

I work in the Middle East and have be flying out of Edinburgh Airport for a number years and I will not be doing it again. I arrived at the airport on the tram and was rudely told to hand over my ticket. The tone was unacceptable. The airport itself is constantly under construction and is not able to handle the amount of passengers passing through it, with long waits at immigration and long waits to get served in restaurants once through security too. Staff look tired and fed up and this is impacting customer service. Terrible experience. I will fly from Newcastle next time.
Date VisitMay 2016

"is this really the best"

We arrived at the new International arrivals shed at Edinburgh airport earlier this week - is this really the best we can do? This is the first introduction many visitor will have to Scotland - it is not good enough, it is an embarrassment, the owners and management of Edinburgh airport should be ashamed of themselves.
Date VisitMay 2016

"all was well with no hassle"

Security was fairly quiet so all was well with no hassle, never asked for any form of ID other than boarding pass produced at home or at any time in the airport. Given my bag went through security without a nod as to the liquids etc inside it seems a bit odd really. The whole place is well past its best and does not meet the needs of those who are flying through the place. Its an airport but all those shops why when there is very few seats in the general waiting area and the hike from the rental car drop off area beggers belief. That large wall poster proclaiming EDI as the face of Scotland is about right - a not so friendly place with awful weather.
Date VisitApril 2016

"chaos rules supreme"

Chaos still rules supreme at security in Edinburgh Airport. The slightest build-up in passenter traffic and the whole system grinds to a crawl. It must be a system design flaw as there are so many staff being thrown at it that it would be quicker for them to individually search each customer. We travelled on Sunday morning and took nearly 30 minutes from entering to leaving security. We have flown through London City, Gatwick, Heathrow, St Lucia, Moscow and Karaganda this past year and Edinburgh is by far the worst experience. Not fit for purpose I am afraid. I pity foreign tourists. Arrivals are more pleasant so it shows it must be possible to get something right.
Date VisitApril 2016

"an overall inefficient process"

Chaotic Security is a known problem at the airport. However, the airport does not yet recognize the need for change, so negative reviews need to continue. Other airports handle one passenger at a time at every line at security. Edinburgh handles 6-12 passengers at the same time and that leads to confusion and an overall inefficient process. The staff are annoyed with their system and bark the orders at the irritated passengers. Whoever designed this needs to have a look around and apply best practices. On the plus side: when arriving in Edinburgh the border control is straight forward and no problem, the bags arrived quickly.
Date VisitMarch 2016

Edinburgh Airport customer review

Its like a game of twister, being told to stand on "yellow number 5", huge trays which are really heavy. Why did Edinburgh Airport try to be clever and change the security system? Goodness knows how much it cost to change the system but its embarrassing for passengers and airport staff alike. Also, why should passengers be forced to walk "snake like" through the massive duty free shop, I dont want to buy anything why am I subjected to this? I dont want to be asked to sample various malt whiskies at 6.30 in the morning? Its ludicrous and Edinburgh airport are guilty of putting profit before people. Someone somewhere should hold their hands up and accept responsibility for this mess and return things to the way they were before. Finally, why should I have to presnt my boarding pass at WHSmiths when I'm buying a bag of sweets and a newspaper - its crazy. Every time I visit the airport I feel like a sheep.
Date VisitMarch 2016