Edinburgh Airport

"airport seems to divide opinion"

Trip Verified | Edinburgh airport seems to divide opinion, some love it others hate it. Most of the complaints are about the security screening times, I have never had any problem with this. We travelled on a very busy Thursday morning and it only took us under 10 mins to get through security. The airport has a very good selection of shops, bars, and food places airside and there. My only complaint is the baggage reclaim on arrival, this is something the airport needs to look at soon.

"Absolute farce"

Not Verified | Absolute farce. 1 person attending to customs for all non EU arrivals. I am in a queue of 100. We have moved 3 metres in 40 minutes. This is a clown circus operation. "Serious" looking men come out every 5 minutes to stare at the queue, not, I repeat not to assist processing. Qatar Airways needs to rethink coming here.

"disorganised, inefficient airport"

Not Verified | Really don't like this disorganised, inefficient airport and dread each time I am forced to use it. From the rude staff to byzantine security that seems custom made to make it stressful to the poor gate waiting areas. It's just not up to standard of most international airports (including Glasgow which my comparison is way ahead in quality and speed of transit through). The only redeeming feature is the food hall which has a decent selection of places to eat and drink. Will not travel from this airport unless I absolutely have to.

"a very good experience"

Not Verified | I do understand that most reviews are negative review, whatever airport is being reviewed. I would like to say that I have a very good experience at Edinburgh airport last weekend. Staff were friendly, security was packed but staff were extremely well organized to deal with the mass of travellers and it was very smooth. My cabin bag was searched but unlike in many airport, the staff were very friendly. Duty-free and restaurant area is well balanced and nice to walk through. All in all, a very good experience.

"unacceptable, avoidable delays"

Trip Verified | Our Jet2 flight landed at 7.15 pm. On arrival at the terminal building half of the passengers could not access the building due to queuing at immigration desks and were left standing in very cold unpleasant weather. On gaining access after unacceptable delays we were directed to use the electronic passport control by airport security staff. Probably half of the passengers failed to use the machines properly or machines failed to function properly and were sent to normal immigration posts, hence the shambles which had led to totally unacceptable and avoidable delays. Some explanation for debacle would be appreciated.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"not capable of delivering a service"

Not Verified | Yet again Edinburgh shows that it is not capable of delivering a service to the level of passenger numbers passing through the gates. Plane parked closer to the city than the arrivals hall. Buses stopped twice on route for arrivals. Total time from touch down to getting out of terminal was over an hour (with no passport delay) as bagage conveyer broke down and nobody came. Surly airline staff who obviously had heard it all before. This arport needs to get its infrastructure in place before offering more services. Perhaps the top award goes to the sales pitch put through the public address telling how wonderful and cheap shopping is to a hall full of people delayed on their way home with no news as to why. Bus driver was the only one to communicate to advise us he can't pass the aircraft while it had it's engines running. That was after standing there for about 10 minutes.

"everybody or nobody"

Verified Review | Standing in line and going through security in various airports for me is fine, it is a good thing for our safety. But the first elderly lady we met, telling us what to do was a disgrace. Very nasty and talked to us in a very aggressive manner. Everyone should be checked in the same matter. Random checks on shoes is pointless, everybody or nobody. Passengers should be treated and talked to nicely by the staff. Mostly the staff were nice, it has to be said.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"What a disaster Edinburgh is"

Verified Review | As an Edinburgh resident and a regular traveller to other airports worldwide, I am utterly embarrassed by the dismal experience of travelling out of or into Edinburgh. Very busy and congested for departures, security often shambolic with queues down the stairs, often needing to take a bus to departing aircraft. Arrival today was even worse - long wait for crowded bus to go from aircraft to terminal, with several passengers struggling to stand for the length of time. International arrivals area was a dismal hall, worse than many 3rd world countries. Long queue for the toilets in the baggage hall, down a nasty corridor with duck tape holding the flooring in place. Only 3 ladies' cubicles, 1 of them blocked and out of service, and another wouldn't flush. Had to apologise to many other passengers that this is not typical of Scotland. Then the taxi area is a shambles, poorly signed and people walking in circles. I would rather take the train to travel from Glasgow in future. What a disaster Edinburgh is.

"signage is terrible"

Unverified | What a terrible airport! Arrived to pick up my brother and dropped my mother off at the front of the terminal because she can't walk too far. Big mistake. £1 drop-off fee. Then found parking - miraculous I found it as signage is terrible. Big mistake. £9.30 for less than an hour. Horrible airport. Disorganised, poor directions, exorbitant charges. Poxy. Avoid if you can.

"amazed and shocked"

Unverified | I have written to Edinburgh Airport through their websites' comment section and received no response, I'll review it here. ("We want to hear from you") No you don't really; as you know what we all have to say about such a poorly run facility. I landed there Sept. 11th on an Air Canada rouge flight overnight from Toronto, at 06:40 am. We were then kept on the plane for a further 40 minutes, as "a bigger plane had taken our spot". (You hadn't expected two planes?) Then, we deplaned down steps onto the wet runway, just as it was just getting light; and it's cold in early morning in Scotland in September. We then were walked along the tarmac, waited at a red light in groups to cross a ring road to stand by a wall, still outdoors, under an inadequate glass roof with open walls. There were people in shirt sleeves, newborn babies, and elderly people. We then were made to wait there, outside, for a further 30 or so minutes. When the only person (me) to step out of line after 15 minutes to ask why we were outside; we were told it was because "There's no room inside the customs hall". Again: you weren't expecting two or more planes? We then were allowed into said customs hall, a sort of unfinished barrack like space; it took nearly another hour to get to an agent. I told him I had lost the will to live after all that, and he didn't even ask why. I said that it was a poor way to welcome people to such a lovely country, and he didn't look at me. My friend, who had checked the landing time, then driven over to collect me; had to pay 23.50 pounds for parking, as it took over two hours till we got processed and claimed our luggage. I lived in Scotland many years, and I know: Edinburgh: you could do better. I am still amazed and shocked at having to wait outdoors on a cold morning. Thank God it wasn't pouring rain or snowing. I will never fly through Edinburgh airport ever again, and would encourage others not to either.
Date VisitSeptember 2017