East Midlands Airport

"it appears to be getting worse"

Not Verified | The worst airport I have visited in the UK and it appears to be getting worse. The building itself is a large shed with extremely poor signage outside making it very difficult to work out where you are going. Food and drink facilities are limited, basic and expensive. Taxis are now not available in a rank and must be booked through a single company inside the hall. Passengers are left to work this out for themselves. The company charged me 20% more than the usual fare. Given that there is now no competition and no train station at the airport this will increasingly make driving a more affordable option. My advice is to use Birmingham if possible.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"passport control was absolutely ridiculous"

Not Verified | On arrival to the airport from a flight from Faro (Jet2) the queue for passport control was absolutely ridiculous. What on earth is going on with their border control. There are clearly not enough staff or desks to cope with the growing amount of flights. It was as if they were taken by surprise with the arrival of several flights. It took us over 25 minutes from walking into the hall to getting through to proceed to baggage reclaim. We have flown regularly from EM Airport but this year was the worst of all. A snaking queue all around three rooms is totally unacceptable and if they cannot organise things and provide more staff, we will not be flying from this airport again. Also, the drop off parking area is a joke, the huge queues for security for the outgoing flight was also ridiculous. This is all prior to the main holiday season so goodness only knows how they will cope after today. From being our favourite airport it is now our most hated.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"diabolical parking for picking up passengers"

Not Verified | Absolutely diabolical parking for picking up passengers. £2 for 10 mins then £1 per minute thereafter. Cars parked on double yellow lines blocking entry to airport. Unhelpful jobswoth parking staff who told me I should have looked up flight details on the internet. If you live any distance from the airport this is not useful. Although you can find out when a flight lands it can stand on the runway for up to an hour before deplaning the passengers - that equates to £52 in their stupid parking system. Local taxpayers have to pay for a police presence to move on traffic because of the poor facilities provided by the profit making company Manchester Airports Group plc. Oh and the pick up parking does not accept £2 coins so that could cost you a few pounds extra just to get the right coins. Rip off.
Date VisitJune 2018

"immigration took 45 minutes"

Not Verified | Security which is right after check-in was really quick and if it started to back up, security opened up another line to ease congestion. After security there are a few shops and then the gates with restaurants. Staff opened up the gate 20 minutes before the flight and were really friendly. On arrival, the immigration took 45 minutes which is way too long in my opinion even though there were free desks which could be used. Apart from that, the staff were friendly about the time and ensured that the process was as quick as possible.
Date VisitMay 2018

"Passengers are treated like cattle"

Trip Verified | To start the rip off, the drop off parking charges are disgraceful, £2 for 10 minutes and £1 per minute after that, this is scandalous. What a Shambles it also is, both going out and coming back. The queues through security are horrendous in both directions, but generally worse coming back into the country. Didn't we get charged to put extra security in place a few years ago? So where is it, because I haven't noticed anything "extra". Passengers are treated like cattle, having to tread row after row of guided aisles, it's worse than being in a theme park. On the outbound trip the queue stretched from the turn styles right to the other end of the building, but this is usual for EMA. Coming back there were 2 queues, one stretching back way past the shelter which is well over 100 yards long and the other queue was almost as long but coming in at right angles to the sheltered queue, luckily the sun was shining for that queue, but if it had been raining there was no shelter for them so they could have been stood in bad weather or even snow at a different time of year. In the actual custom control room, or animal pen as I see it, the story is even worse, the queues loop back on themselves and it took over an hour and a half to get through the passport control. The room itself was stifling hot, due to the hot weather and the fact that they never put the air-con on, it's been like that for years. Our Granddaughter was actually sick halfway round. There are not enough "Tills" to get people through, on the wall is a poster saying "We aim to get everyone through within 25 minutes", what a joke that is. We only use EMA because it is local to us, but dread it every year because we know how bad it is. Despite taking so long to get through custom control our luggage wasn't anywhere to be seen, it seems it fell off the conveyor on the other side of the barrier. Prices inside the building are over the top compared to "normal" shopping. The Duty Free shops are no cheaper than the local supermarkets, but that seem to be the case all over. All in all it's not a pleasant experience, but unfortunately we put ourselves through it every year.
Date VisitJune 2018

"EMA are moving backwards"

Trip Verified | This is yet again further evidence that EMA seem to have a policy of regression. Why? Is it austerity? It's certainly unacceptable and we will not use them again for a decade. Our reasons.. 1) much expense and inconvenience has been suffered over the last few years whilst we endured the kitting out of a new set of duty free shopping and eating areas. Result, the black oppressive and low ceiling in the duty free sector adds to the stress of departure, why not paint it white and blue (like the sky). It's not rocket science. 2) On our return.. The delays incurred from the queuing due to the immigration passport control were the worst we've ever known, 20 minutes on the plane waiting for a bus transfer and another 25 minutes delay in the Disneyland type queuing in the passport halls. Surrounded by signs threatening us to behave as their staff are entitled to compliant non abusive behaviour from us. We are entitled to a system that is fit for purpose and yet EMA are moving backwards and want us to be compliant. 3) 3 flights baggage all on one carousel. Why? There were 4 other carousels totally devoid of luggage. Come on EMA management. Get yourselves sorted, your service is sarcastic and totally unacceptable at the moment.
Date VisitJune 2018

"delays in clearing passport control"

Trip Verified | Over recent months I have become extremely frustrated with the delays in clearing passport control. The automatic machines are incapable of dealing with the amount of arrivals in a realistic time and are clearly not fit for purpose. I recently had a 2 hour flight from Spain and then suffered a 45min delay clearing passport control at East Mids. Sadly this was not a one off occasion as over the last year it has not been uncommon to have to wait 45min to an hour clearing the airport. Living in Stoke I have the opportunity to use Manchester, Liverpool or Birmingham and from now on East Mids will be my last choice.
Date VisitJune 2018

"don't even know the travel policy"

Not Verified | Flying out of East Midlands recently we got to the Security queue and had been queuing for 45 minutes, when we eventually got to the scanners my partner was body searched which is not a problem, but the most rude and obnoxious woman doing his seach said what is that in your shirt pockets (in a very rude manner and tone), his response was my money, she asked how much and he answered just under £1,000 and my bank card. She said right come with me your going to be interviewed by Special Branch, he asked why and she replied you have £1,000 on you. My partner told her I said just under £1,000 to which she shouted at him - you said £1,000, snatched the money and card off him and told her to go with her. She would not let him get his tray with personal items him and he called to me to get them and that he was being taken to be interviewed by Special Branch. She took him to a desk at the back of the area where there was a Manager and eventually after my partner nearly begging the Manager that the amount was for 2 of us for 2 weeks self catering, I had now joined them and said that he could seach my bag to prove that I didn't have any money on me to show it was for both of us, lucky the Manager said my partner could go after counting the money. We only just made our flight and ran to the gate with only 15 minutes before take off, Tui staff were very good. When we landed in Corfu we checked the amount you are allowed to take on a flight and the limit is £10,000 cash. The airport security don't even know the travel policy. On our return the immigration was bad and 1 person in front of us asked why they allowed people behind to be brought forward and in front of us, basically jumping the queue and he was told to shut up and stop complaining. After we came through customs and into the arrivals the same person was approched by airport secuity and told to go with them, the poor guy had only asked a quite simple question and wasn't rude or anything. The last few years we have travelled from here but this is our worst experience, we felt like this airport is a Police state and under no circumstances will ever travel from this airport again even if the option was East Midlands airport or stay at home.

"incompetent staff"

Trip Verified | Landed at lunchtime and queued 20 minutes to enter the building of passport control. We were guided through queue lines and during a 50 minute wait, new flights had arrived. Due to the airport not coping with the capacity of people, staff redirected the lines allowing the new arrivals to walk straight into the building and straight through passport control. This left people who had waited 50 plus minutes waiting further due to the incompetent staff. My family and I asked a young female employee whilst in the queue why this had happened, her exact response “shut up and move on”. We said this was not acceptable as we had been waiting so long, her exact response “I don't care”. I have been a qualified professional for nearly 20 years and was absolutely shocked by the appalling response, no explanation and attitude of a member of frontline airport staff representing this international airport.
Date VisitMay 2018

"Hour long queue designed to make money"

Not Verified | Hour long queue designed to make money. I endured a queue like no other. I used to work in Saudi and at the time thought no western airport could be as bad as there. This one is. The queue to get through the scanners was over 1 hour long. Although the airport owns 5 body scanners they only employ enough security staff to man 3 of these. The scanners cost hundreds of thousands of pounds each (I know, I'm an aerospace supply chain specialist and instructor) and yet they aren't being used. Heres the thing. There is a guy employed permanently to patrol up and down the queue informing passengers they can "pay £5 to be fast tracked to the front". The understaffing of the security department is being used as a cash cow. When this cretinous individual was asked why this is happening his reply was "I cant comment on this because its something I cannot comment on" and "if you just pay the £5 you will get through quicker". People late for their connection were informed to do this. Inside the baggage drop area there is x1 restaurant, x1 WH smiths and that's it! There are many decent shops inside the departures area but no way you have enough time to use or enjoy any of them due to the length of the security queue.