East Midlands Airport

"shambles of an airport"

Unverified | Worst Airport In The Country. Where do I start with this place. Travelled from here on holiday with friends and as usual the ANPR failed to recognise my number plate resulting in having to press the call button for someone to raise the barrier which they did, eventually. Departure lounge not too crowded for a change this particular time, then on to security queue. Went through the body scanner and for some reason I was taken behind a screen and asked to lift my top as my jumper had a decorative buckle attached to it and this needed to be investigated! A good 5 minutes was wasted performing this task. Had a great holiday in Crete then back to this shambles of an airport with the cattle grid queue system in arrivals. When we eventually got to passport control, a member of our party briefly spoke to my husband who turned his head literally for 1 second only to be spoken to extremely rudely. Do your staff not have appraisals East Midlands Airport Director? As every review on here is scathing. I shall avoid in future. Birmingham and Robin Hood airport are very efficient with polite staff.

"This was disappointing"

Unverified | I was disgusted by the attitude of passport control staff. Once directed to a desk the officer began to tell me off for speaking to my child rather than immediately giving her my full attention. I knew they were busy but I am a doctor and would never be so rude to a patient if they were to do something I felt was wrong. She continued to speak to me rudely throughout our passport checks telling me that she was angry that I had kept her waiting. I am unsure how passport control staff feel this is an acceptable way to interact with the public. This was disappointing as all other experiences of the airport were very good.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"customers are not getting a good experience"

Unverified | Queuing for security is cramped and too small to cope with the amount of people. Feel very vulnerable standing there. Staff on security are good and working flat out. Travel back and forth regularly and most time queue for too long to get through passport control. Good that the airport is growing but customers are not getting a good experience on departure or arrival. Massive improvement needed.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"a shockingly bad airport"

Unverified | As noted by others on this site, East Midlands is a shockingly bad airport - queues out onto the tarmac - vehicles and planes buzzing around - it seems only a matter of time before some one is injured. It was quicker to drive through the M1 roadworks to J26 than it was to move 200 feet through passport control. I was appalled at the treatment. Luckily it wasn't raining.

"It's not improving"

Verified Review | It's not improving. Highlights of this week's shambles - Upon arriving, the entire ANPR/barrier system was broken. There was no sign/advance warning/cones etc to show that one of the two entrances could be driven into but wouldn't work. This meant I had to press the button and wait for the kindly assistant to tell me I had to reverse into the oncoming traffic and use the other entrance where they had removed the barrier. Apparently the high winds were to blame. Upon exit, for the second consecutive week, the ANPR failed to see my number plate. This week, the chap on the phone just raised the barrier unlike last week when the woman told me it was because I'd driven up to the barrier at the wrong angle and if I tried again it would work (it didn't). In departures the screen at the foot of the (out of service) escalator was showing a "Blue screen of death" error instead of gate assignments. I have been blocked from posting on the Facebook at Twitter feeds for EMA - presumably for having the temerity to post links to this review site there. They have the resources to do that, but not to mend the many faulty and broken things. Words cannot adequately convey how useless I think EMA is.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"Trust me when I say it was a shambles"

Unverified | We returned to EMA 9th September and on time. Here the problems started with no buses to take us to the terminal for nearly 15 mins. It then took 1 hour to clear immigration with huge queues onto the tarmac and as one employee let slip 13 flights landed in 1 1/4 hours. This has to be either poor scheduling a general inability to cope. Trust me when I say it was a shambles. We thought at least when we get to collect our baggage it should be there, but no. A further 15 min wait. So many people unhappy. Then followed a 20 min wait for a car park bus so all in all from landing to getting to our car took 1 hour 50 mins, only 10 mins less than our flight time from Pisa! I seem to think what was once calle "your local friendly airport" has been a victim of its own success and for us, we shall be seeking alternatives even though we only live 30 mins away.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"EMA is well past its use by date"

Unverified | Last used this "facility" in the 1990's but had no option to do so on this occasion and, sadly, have to report it has not improved. Signage for the location of car parks may be adequate in daylight but is totally useless for the dark periods which seem to occur almost daily in the UK. Total lack of directions within the car parking area I had pre-booked - white road marking paint is not expensive. Departure procedure worked quite well but, as in my previous visits, the experience coming back was horrendous, that is once our plane managed to be off-loaded. There was the same cattle market provision to get to immigration security but at least couples and families were able to attend as a party at the desk. Luggage collection is still a very limited facility - 4 carousels, which just can't cope with the number of flights arriving around the same time. Experience at the one car park exit was a complete shambles, the two lanes were blocked by two cars, marooned at the barriers whilst the drivers tried to raise some customer service on the intercom. The problem was identified by one of the waiting crowd now assembled at the barrier, that the exit lanes accommodating the number plate recognition camera were too short and that anything larger than a small family car could not turn into the exit points and present "square on" to the cameras. In summary, EMA is well past its use by date - it really is not suited to dealing with the size of planes that airlines have and it certainly it will be at least another 20 years before I even think about using this so-called "International Airport" again. I am absolutely amazed that certain operators continue to use this airport, to my mind it does not give those that do care about their customers a good image.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"a Mickey Mouse airport not fit for purpose"

Unverified | Went to collect grand children and parents, plane arrived 20 minutes early, had to wait another 95 minutes for them to come to arrivals area. The airport is not large enough or able to cope with the volume of people who use it, waiting to disembark waiting for buses, waiting for passport control, waiting for luggage. We then had to pay £8 for parking in a car part which does not have enough spaces. EMA is a Mickey Mouse airport not fit for purpose.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"sort the poor attitude of your staff out"

Verified Review | Shocking today, paid for fast track took 25 minutes to collect bag through x-ray machine, staff very grumpy, not enough working all rude. Picking up on anything they could, small toothpaste is now a cream not a paste, had to make a big deal over it. Hair straightners through the machine again and again! Really East Midlands please sort the poor attitude of your staff out.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"Our queue did not move for 40 minutes"

Unverified | Whilst departure was fine arrival here was absolutely shocking! Bused to the huge arrivals queue that spread onto the tarmac runway, expected to queue and wait in the open for hours. It wouldn't have been so bad if other flights arriving and disembarking near to the queue hadn't been allowed to push in. Our queue did not move for 40 minutes as these other passengers were given privilege. No one would take responsibility and the only explanation given was "a lot of planes have all arrived at the same time". If they want to subject their passengers to this sort of abuse they should be providing toilet facilities and refreshments. I have flown from EMA regularly for years and it has always been my favourite airport but I will never ever fly there again!
Date VisitAugust 2017