East Midlands Airport

"Very slow immigration"

Trip Verified | Very slow immigration. There were a handful of staff in the immigration area. One Boarder Security person manually checking passports the rest "managing" the single queue of people. The majority of people forced to use the e-passport barriers (or whatever they're called). This is a row of 5 or 6 machines with electronic barriers allowing people to enter and leave the machine. Why were there two people stood holding the queue back from the machines and then assigning people one at a time to the row of machines? This is a waste of time and slows the whole process down! Why not just let people queue at the machines, much like they do at train stations and allow the machines to do their job? In my opinion, having two people hold back the queue in this way is a ridiculous approach to take, especially while the queue is out of the door and people are left out in the cold especially after tiring travel.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"insufficient staff to check passports"

Not Verified | Whilst on this occasion the departure areas weren’t too bad but on a previous trip in a September there isn’t sufficient room between departure gates and the food areas. On getting back this time the passport control areas had been doubled in size but there are still insufficient staff to check passports. When 2 flights arrive at the same time it takes at least 20mins to get through. Why is there no specific queue for a family with children under 12. Families have to go all the way round and then can’t use the e-passport units! The border control staff seem to have had a personality bypass. No smiles etc. At least you don’t have to wait long for you4 luggage. All in all not a good experience. If it was another business they would have gone under long ago.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"it is absolutely abysmal"

Not Verified | They need to do something about arrivals as it is absolutely abysmal. We arrived back around 8.15 last night and it took over an hour to get off the plane and get through customs/border control. It was freezing cold and we started queuing at the far end of the outside shelter. Once inside we were herded all round the arrivals area until we got to the five e-gates (one of which wasn't working) and two border control guards. I hate to think what impression this gives to overseas visitors. They have spent a lot of money tarting up departures, and all arrivals got was a coat of paint and an outside partly sheltered tunnel approach. Come on Manchester airports Group. This is not good enough.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"one of the worst airports"

Unverified | Truly one of the worst airports in Europe. Appallingly laid out with portacabin types added on and on. Customs is a nightmare. No moving walkways so be prepared for a lot of walking. Ridiculous perfume counter that dominates the entrance. I hear Manchester Airport has taken a controlling interest? We live in hope. Whoever managed EMA needs to leave the industry and quick. A very very poor airport, particularly for departures.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"getting through customs is a nightmare"

Unverified | Getting through customs control nowadays is an absolute joke. I had inadvertently packed a tube of toothpaste in my hand luggage and was treated like I was trying to smuggle crack cocaine out of the country. The lady spoke to me like dirt and told me to open my bag so that she could rip it apart, and then when she was happy that I was not a drugs mule barked "now take it over there and sort it out". Air travel is not much fun anymore and getting through customs is a nightmare.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"Customer service is poor"

Verified Review | Customer service is poor. Arrived back from holiday at 00.45, 5 minutes late, then had to wait 20 minutes to disembark. Transport then toured the airport before reaching arrivals. Even then could not get off because of another coach in front. Passport Control busy - showing 15/20 minutes wait. The good news was that we did not have to wait long for the luggage!

"Security is a shambles"

Verified Review | Security is a shambles and the women doing the trays are extremely rude, abrupt and with no people skills at all. They treat customers like they are dirt, spoke to me and my partner like we were stupid telling us that a hairdryer had to be removed before putting through scanner. Told her I didn't know that, only to be rudely told - 'maybe you should read terms and conditions'. Will never use airport again.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"airport gets worse in every area on every visit"

Unverified | Arrivals is an absolute shambles. I thought things had improved when I arrived at 23.30. No long queues in the sheltered area leading to the UK border. My joy was short lived as I entered the building they had extended the arrivals hall and installed more queue management lines so you now walk up and down and side to side in three halls probably about 500 metres before you reach the border farce terminals. On a positive side they had decided to place signs (just like a fun park) advising how long it will take to reach the border farce gates. Clearly MAG must have employed some ex brewery social event organiser to plan this new system. This airport gets worse in every area on every visit. Surely MAG senior managers should take a look at what is going on and sort it out.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"it is getting worse every visit"

Unverified | Totally unfit for purpose. Close it down and start again. Use this airport for all my overseas holidays if necessary as it is only 30 minutes from home but it is getting worse every visit. Passed through check in with Jet2 quickly then the problems started. Had to queue to get through boarding pass barriers then was stuck in queue immediately due to large numbers waiting for customs check. Walked up and down aisles until eventually getting to trays to put belongings in which again takes ages due to high volume of passengers. Once through procedure went to departure lounge where there is never enough seating, and wife fetched a coffee and a bottle of water for the flight at the usual high rip off prices. Once our flight details were shown we went to gate 3 as instructed where we had to go through a passage going on the outside of the waiting area and joined a long queue to get to the boarding gate. After 5 minutes a lady came past us and said she was not pushing in but going to another departure gate for her flight as the queue we were in was for a different flight which, if she hadn't have told us would have meant being in the wrong queue for ages. On the return flight, we landed at 1.30 am, boarded a bus to take us to the long outside passage to the customs lounge. As like the last time we landed, the passage was full so the bus went round the back past airplanes then back until we could join the queue. Eventually we reached the customs hall then went on the long tour up and down aisles to reach the desks. (they have improved it by putting up notices how long you will be waiting before reaching your passport controller, 20 minutes plus is the first sign). Eventually reached the automatic recognition desk, inserted my passport and as before it did not work then was directed to one of the only 4 customs officers on a desk. The only good part was by the time we got to the cases carousel our luggage was there. This airport is totally inadequate for the number of planes and passengers it is handling and is totally a terrible experience for passengers after a long and tiring trip. If Doncaster had more flights and airlines using it, I wouldn't bother with this place again. I have heard they are going to extend the runway for bigger planes but this must be a joke.

"shambles of an airport"

Unverified | Worst Airport In The Country. Where do I start with this place. Travelled from here on holiday with friends and as usual the ANPR failed to recognise my number plate resulting in having to press the call button for someone to raise the barrier which they did, eventually. Departure lounge not too crowded for a change this particular time, then on to security queue. Went through the body scanner and for some reason I was taken behind a screen and asked to lift my top as my jumper had a decorative buckle attached to it and this needed to be investigated! A good 5 minutes was wasted performing this task. Had a great holiday in Crete then back to this shambles of an airport with the cattle grid queue system in arrivals. When we eventually got to passport control, a member of our party briefly spoke to my husband who turned his head literally for 1 second only to be spoken to extremely rudely. Do your staff not have appraisals East Midlands Airport Director? As every review on here is scathing. I shall avoid in future. Birmingham and Robin Hood airport are very efficient with polite staff.