Airline of the Year

East Midlands Airport

"badly organised overall"

Delays both ways. Flights 8th May out - 12th May return. Only 3 security stations (out of 9) open on the way out - over 40 mins to get through. Delays on the way back at border control because of those ridiculous self serve stations which mostly fail to scan the photo part of your passport. Badly organised overall and seem only interested in taking your money at the Duty Free.
Date VisitMay 2017

"it hasn't improved over the years"

Our local airport, it hasn't improved over the years, shocking queues. Expanded too fast, dirty and untidy, rip off car park prices. Won't be going back until it improves, a real let down for the East Midlands. Derby, Leicester and Nottingham deserve a much better facility.
Date VisitMay 2017

"EMA has morphed into an unpleasant airport"

Verified Review | I have always favoured EMA above the others. I own a property in Spain, and have travelled to Málaga five or six times a year for the last 14 years. I started with Go, then easyJet, BMI baby and now travel with Ryanair. It has always been a friendly local airport half an hour from home, but over the last two or three years, it has developed a nasty, sleazy money-grabbing side. Not too long ago, you could be dropped off by friends free of charge, provided you were in and out in 10 minutes. This was good; welcome to EMA! Then, no more free drop off. A charge of £1 for 10 minutes was introduced. People started to drop their friends off on airport roads or at the petrol station from where they could walk to the terminal. MAG obviously saw this as a major problem. The £1 charge was doubled "to improve the airport facilities" and new signs appeared threatening dire consequences and fines if any car was seen dropping anybody off other than by paying the £2 charge. The latest "improvements" I saw today? 1) The buses collecting passengers from the aircraft now drop off at the far end of the outside shelter, increasing the distance needing to be walked into immigration. The drivers and herding staff appear to have been instructed to force all passengers to enter through the furthest entrance to the shelter from the hall. 2) The reaction to larger immigration queues appears not to be to to improve the service with more staff or reading machines, they have added to the queueing area to allow longer and slower queues! Today I waited for 45 minutes just to get to a machine. 3) Passengers with electronically readable passports are forced to queue to use the machines, where the Border staff at the normal desks stare into space with little or nothing to do! Today only 3 of the 5 machines were working! EMA has morphed into an unpleasant airport with little to commend it, except its location. What a pity!
Date VisitApril 2017

"a money grabbing crowded little dump"

I have used and reviewed this airport a number of times in the last few years and this is the last review I will write. This formally nice little local airport has slowly changed into a money grabbing crowded little dump. Travelled to Dublin on St Patrick's Day and back two days later. Even at 4.45am super crowded and security barely able to cope. Once through a time consuming security herded through the horrible Duty Free area into crowded seating areas - certainly not enough seats at the departure gate to hold all the passengers. Expensive eateries (but to be fair it's the same at most airports). At least I only live 10 minutes away, and as we were returning from Dublin with hand baggage only got straight through on our return. Awful. And I'm using it again in June to fly to Murcia.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"Security is understaffed"

Verified Review | Security is understaffed and the people running it are rude and inconsistent. I travel every week via this airport. Last week I was told for the first and so far only time, to remove my shoes - "because of the new body scanner" - the same body scanner I've been through wearing the same shoes every week so far this year (and most of last). This week I went through the body scanner again, wearing the same shoes - how can that make any sense? Then in spite of the wonderful scanner I was subjected to a thorough and highly intrusive search. OK, you might say, they are being thorough - but in that case I'd love to know why I don't get the same at any of the many other airports I visit. I'd also love to know why EMA thinks it's OK to make us wait so long at security when other airports can do the process quickly and cheerfully. On a "good" day the wait for security is a little shorter than the time I'm in the air - on bad days (summer time) I actually spend longer in the EMA security queue than in the air. Lots of reviews on here and elsewhere mention how bad security is so management know full well - they clearly don't care.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"journey was made so much better by these cheerful people"

Verified Review | I would like to thank all of the special assistance staff at East Midlands airport. Our journey was made so much better by these cheerful people. I cannot thank them enough for the way we were treated, with care and respect. They could not do enough for us and nothing was too much trouble. Far cry from our past journeys where it had seemed that people with disabilities were an inconvenience and second class citizens. We have always preferred travelling from East Midlands airport but this just proves we were correct in our choice. Travelled to Fuertaventura 5-2-2017 and returned 12-2-2017.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"airport has got no better then before in many ways"

My wife and I travel frequently from the UK to European Destinations and stopped using East Midlands regularly when the airport was found to have different sized baggage checking frames at check in and at the gate (the latter were smaller). This being a few years ago we decided because of flight timings to try again. The airport has got no better then before in many ways. The luggage trolley had a mind of its own, as did the second one we tried so did not bother any more. Ryanair Check in was fine - staff were ok and bags were taken but no option to check in cabin baggage offered (last week at Stansted and two weeks ago at Gatwick Easyjet and BA were happy to oblige and take the pressure off the cabin load). The worst bit was the security 35 minutes on a Tuesday in what is clearly an off peak travelling time - Only two screening devices working out of 9 - after 20 minutes they did put a 3rd on. Staff spent more time bawling at passengers to stop using mobile phones than thinking of opening more machines. Then once you find a toilet there are few cubicles for an airport that size so you wait. And of course a lack of areas to sit and wait for your plane which for us over 60's is not good. I have been in other basic airports where it has taken less time to be checked. If you can avoid East Midlands I would urge you to do so. As a positive the Coffee was very good at the Sausage Shop but of course that was not managed by the Airport directly and I am sure had we time to try it, which we hoped to do, the Castle Rock Bar would have been excellent but I am not going to woll down a beer in 15 minutes.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"a lethargic out of date airport facility"

EMA is a lethargic out of date airport facility. The design is third rate with more space for perfumery than passenger walkway. It's clearly not big enough to handle the passenger numbers. Selection of flights looks to be getting worse with no imagination or determination to create. The management must admit it's not fit for purpose. A complete overhaul is needed including moving sidewalk to help disabled and clearer signage. No wonder airlines have departed. Just ask EasyJet.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"EMA really does not give a damn about travellers"

Verified Review | I am a frequent flyer, about 30-40 flights per year, both long haul and short haul. Back in October last year I chose to fly out of East Midlands Airport because of the convenience of one particular flight. I found the experience of getting through security at EMA shocking with very, very long queues. Fast track made no difference - I very nearly missed my flight. Also I found the staff were so rude. I just put this down to a bad day but I had to go on a similar flight last week and on the way back I came in through immigration and was directed to the auto 'chip and pin' passport control. I asked if I could use the normal desk passport control and I was told no - despite the fact that 6 immigration desks/officers were sitting doing nothing - literally just sitting at their desks looking out at the big queues for the auto passport control. When I mentioned this to staff they said "I know, you should complain". I find that EMA really does not give a damn about travellers. They are only interested in getting car park revenues. I will avoid EMA if possible in the future.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"it was total chaos"

Used this airport in June and said I would never again due to huge delays in checking in and security. Foolishly used again last Tuesday, left for gate 5 once Lanzarote flight opened to find the whole corridor blocked with passengers for other flights. No one knew what was going on with no staff around it was total chaos, had paid for priority boarding but could not get to gate to use. Was very late boarding aircraft I fly 3 times a month on average and will never never use this airport again. The only good thing here is the express parking but the way passengers are treated is a complete joke.
Date VisitDecember 2016