East Midlands Airport

"incompetent staff"

Trip Verified | Landed at lunchtime and queued 20 minutes to enter the building of passport control. We were guided through queue lines and during a 50 minute wait, new flights had arrived. Due to the airport not coping with the capacity of people, staff redirected the lines allowing the new arrivals to walk straight into the building and straight through passport control. This left people who had waited 50 plus minutes waiting further due to the incompetent staff. My family and I asked a young female employee whilst in the queue why this had happened, her exact response “shut up and move on”. We said this was not acceptable as we had been waiting so long, her exact response “I don't care”. I have been a qualified professional for nearly 20 years and was absolutely shocked by the appalling response, no explanation and attitude of a member of frontline airport staff representing this international airport.
Date VisitMay 2018

"Hour long queue designed to make money"

Not Verified | Hour long queue designed to make money. I endured a queue like no other. I used to work in Saudi and at the time thought no western airport could be as bad as there. This one is. The queue to get through the scanners was over 1 hour long. Although the airport owns 5 body scanners they only employ enough security staff to man 3 of these. The scanners cost hundreds of thousands of pounds each (I know, I'm an aerospace supply chain specialist and instructor) and yet they aren't being used. Heres the thing. There is a guy employed permanently to patrol up and down the queue informing passengers they can "pay £5 to be fast tracked to the front". The understaffing of the security department is being used as a cash cow. When this cretinous individual was asked why this is happening his reply was "I cant comment on this because its something I cannot comment on" and "if you just pay the £5 you will get through quicker". People late for their connection were informed to do this. Inside the baggage drop area there is x1 restaurant, x1 WH smiths and that's it! There are many decent shops inside the departures area but no way you have enough time to use or enjoy any of them due to the length of the security queue.

"Horrible awful airport"

Not Verified | Horrible awful airport. I live 20mins away from this airport but I swear it’s the last time I will ever fly from there. I usually use Birmingham but this particular holiday I went on had East Midlands for departure airport. What an absolute joke the place is, on departure it took over an hour to get through security you are just herded into big long queues like animals with staff barking orders at you - staff are so rude to you but even worse to people with pushchairs. (actually saw them reduce a mum to tears as she had to remove all wheels from her pushchair to be able to get through the scanner all the time while trying to juggle a baby — they ought to be ashamed of themselves). Shops were total rubbish could not even get a sandwich to take on flight with us, as none were available considering it was an early morning flight as well these should of been filled up, just restaurants upstairs wanting your Money. Coming back though is the worst chaos I have ever experienced. Sat on plane for 20 mins as no buses available to transport us then herded into the biggest queue to try and clear immigration it starts off outside and curls all the way through the building we were in the queue for an hour before getting to passport gates no explanation from anyone as to why it takes so long - this is not acceptable especially when your over tired from travelling. Finally managed to get out the passport gates and went for luggage and the Luggage belt had broken down. Again another 30 minute wait to be fixed in total it took me 2 hours to get out from airport by this time my taxi had abandoned us so we had to try and get home. So annoyed and disgusted at this airport will never fly from here again. Tip for people booking taxis add at least 1 hour 30 to your pick up time
Date VisitMay 2018

"responded to with disdain"

Not Verified | General quality of service and environment at ArrivalsShed/Border Control passport check. Arriving off a Flybe flight on 3rd May at 15.55, which disembarked very efficiently. Entering the Arrivals Shed there was a great volume of passengers being corralled up and down the whole area,including across the building. Whilst the staff (in hi vis jackets) directing people, were patient and polite, the Border Control staff were less so. They were abrupt /curt in their responses when asked what the problem was, they indicated that this was normal queuing time and the implication being we would have to put up with the inconvenience. This was in contrast to the hi vis team who said it was caused by a few flights all arriving at the same time. One assumes Airport Management know when they have multiple flights arriving and the number of staff needed to process passengers efficiently and courteously There were only two staff on manual checking desks. The electronic machines were slow and rejecting a significant number of passports. Staff said that the machines were not coping with new passports but nevertheless all passengers had to go to the electronic passport gates. No one offered any information on what constituted a new passport. My passport only a few years old was rejected at electronic gates but fine at manual checking. There is little evidence of any seating for fatigued passengers nor an obvious water facility. It felt like we were animals being herded through and even when asking a civil question, it was responded to, with disdain by Border Control staff. Asking for a complaints form met the same response.
Date VisitMay 2018

"treat you like criminals"

Trip Verified | I think this is the 3rd time I have had the random search and probably have only flown from the airport half a dozen times. I live not 20 minutes away and have done for the past 16 years. But today was the last time if I can help it. And will go to Birmingham from now on. Flying inbound for Edinburgh and like the other reviews state terrible organisation at the check in. Security treat you like criminals, my crime for having 60ml evape liquid, and my bag partially unsealed, my evape liquid confiscated because it falls under being an explosive mixture, never had it taken off me before. As always seems the case I lose 1 or 2 items even if I have been really careful what I am taking. And the whole experience just makes you feel awful. They do nothing to put you at ease and the women searching my cabin case was rude in my opinion. Really unnerving and I was shaking when I finally reached the gate. Thankfully someone started to speak to me as I'm traveling alone and I felt better being able to explain what just happened to this person.
Date VisitApril 2018

"auto entries extremely slow"

Not Verified | Extremely chaotic on return from Spain. Queue for security exit was horrendous. Extending to further area. No help for people with young children for giving them any priority whatever. No additional staff when extra planes land. The police desks were barely manned and the auto entries extremely slow. People were very tolerant in such a volatile place
Date VisitApril 2018

"get worse and worse each trip"

Trip Verified | I have travelled from this airport for many years and the standards just get worse and worse each trip. This trip included; I paid for fast track security because there is always horrific queues (even outside summer) with only 1 or 2 of the 10 security lines open. Then we found ourselves guided towards the horrifically long queue anyway! Took 20 minutes to get anyone's attention and complain loud enough to reopen the fast track, only to then join the front of the other long queue instead of the back so still in the misery of the cattle market. At the other side of security you feel like you are in an old farm building that's been converted, its so far removed from the reality of modern airports it isn't true. That could be to its advantage, make it special but instead the airport feels old, tired, dirty - all except the duty free of course which sparkles bright. Then on our return; passport control again had only 2 staff on their 6 desks. 5 planes had landed in the recent past mainly full of families with young children. Thousands of people queuing up to see one of the 2 officers, kids crying, adults getting frustrated. None EU nationals were in the queue and seen by the 2 same officers, those took forever. It isn't passport control I mind (I voted for brexit after all), it's the lack of response to the planned volumes. They seem to take delight in keeping everyone like sheep in pens while they stand on their pedestals peering down at us all in glee. Appalling lack of customer service. Honestly, I'm reviewing where I fly from. But they know they have a captive audience and so they don't care a jot. Shame on you EMA
Date VisitApril 2018

"it seems to be getting worse"

Trip Verified | I have written a review of this airport before but it seems to be getting worse. I really feel that this is one of the worst airports I have ever encountered and can say this with the benefit of some experience as I take up to 36 flights per year. I can suffer most things but I strongly object to the way EMA staff treats passengers - staff are so rude and show no consideration to travellers whatsoever, they really need to be educated in customer service. In particular the outbound security which can take forever and most of all the inbound immigration. It can take ages often queuing for ages, both inside and outside, in all weathers. They insist in funnelling all passengers to a limited number of auto/chip immigration machine while immigration officers sit in their 'booth' arms folded watching the passengers. This maybe a policy the EMA is being forced to follow but the staff are so rude and inconsiderate in the way they channel the long line of passengers. Unfortunately I am forced to use EMA for the convenience of one particular flight that I use regularly but I am now considering going to an airport that is much further away to try a different route - it is that bad at EMA. Not that anyone at EMA will care.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"a depressing experience"

Trip Verified | Appalling place. Had to walk 100 yards in heavy rain from aircraft to arrivals hall. On departure, forced to negotiate the 'shopping experience' slalom which is noisy and crowded. Security clearance is desperately slow and undermanned. Staff barking at passengers – the airport's customers – while in an adjacent aisle a staff member is loudly telling a customer: "Not my problem. Not my problem. Get here earlier." Called to the gate for departure to Glasgow, we have to stand for 10 minutes because nobody has unlocked the access door. A depressing airport, a depressing experience and one to be repeated only if all other options are unavailable.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"Lovely little airport"

Not Verified | Lovely little airport. So easy to use. Like Bristol airport 20 years ago! Nice staff. Airport Escape lounge good value. Stayed in Jury’s hotel very easy walk to airport. Please don’t ever expand this airport it’s so stress free and not long walks to the gates. Would definitely use again.
Date VisitFebruary 2018