Dublin Airport

"avoid at all costs"

Trip Verified | Avoid if flying into or out of continental Europe! Being a dual US/Irish citizen, I've flown into Dublin on several occasions over the last 50 plus years. The vast majority of my past flights into Ireland terminated in Dublin and off I went. My most recent fly through was a connection to Spain and a connection from Madrid back to Chicago. Both times, even though I cleared through customs at my starting points (Chicago and Madrid respectively), I had to check out of the terminal in Dublin then go thru security 2 additional times (not inclusive of US pre-clearance). For my arrival into Dublin on March 1, 2018, there was a "snow storm". By Irish standards, the snow was severe. For most places that get snow it would be nothing because there was approximately 1-2 inches of snow on the ground. I realize it is cost prohibitive for towns and cities in Ireland to have snow removal equipment. However, Dublin Airport is a major connection point for many international flights every day. Aer Lingus and Ryanair generate millions of dollars of revenue probably on a daily basis. All AL and RA flights for 4 days were cancelled. Not counting other carriers having delays in and out of the DA. Fortunately, I was able to book another flight on Vueling to Barcelona. These cancellations and delays could have been avoided if the Dublin Airport had proper snow removal equipment. Snow removal issues aside, returning home on March 15th, I encountered lengthy delays into DA because of security clearance issues stated above. Also, T2 which opened in 2010 has VERY little in terms of restaurants, bars, etc. There were 2 small snack shops that were grossly over priced and had little or no seating. What's more, each gate has approximately 50 seats. For international flights, this is absolutely ridiculous. There should be at the very least 100-150 seats. Many passengers, myself included, sat on the floor while waiting for our flights. Plus there are very few power points in the terminal for charging electronic devices. For a newly built terminal, it is poorly designed and appointed. Having flown thru several airports throughout Asia, Europe and the US, this recently built airport is extremely lacking. Especially in comparison to it's Scandanavian and Asian counterparts. Though Ireland has come a very long way with modernizing in some ways it is still very antiquated and backwards though it likes to think of itself as modern and sophisticated. My past experience in Dublin Airport reinforced my sentiments further. If you are connecting into other places in Europe or going to destinations outside of Europe, I'd avoid Dublin at all costs especially if you have a layover that's 3-8 hours long.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"I eventually lost the flight"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Horrible experience. We spent literally more than an hour in the baggage control and I eventually lost the flight, because my gate was 15 minutes away from the control. The security staff was absolutely useless and mean, and they did not help me when I was going through an anxiety crisis. Really awful. Worst airport ever.
Date VisitApril 2018

"toilets were filthy"

Trip Verified | T2 is nice to look at but thats it, the toilets were filthy. Border control staff about as friendly at a rattlesnakes. There are not many duty free shops even though T2 has been open now for 10 years T1 is much better. Next time it will be T1 for shopping hopefully their toilets will be clean.
Date VisitApril 2018

"treated like animals"

Not Verified | Unfortunately myself and my wife and another 170 passengers were subjected to the late night arrival experience of Dublin Airport South Gate terminal after arriving home from Las Palmas on Saturday 25th March onboard EI783. On a cold night we disembarked the aircraft by steps, walked unescorted across the apron were we saw 1 Aer Lingus employee who looked like he wished to be anywhere but on the tarmac. We were then herded through the South Gate Terminal which had all the toilets closed off and shepherded onto a bus to be brought to Terminal 2 and then subjected to 4 flights of stairs to begin our journey to passport control. To be quite frank I cannot believe that a gate on terminal 2 could not have been kept empty to allow for the flight to be disembarked by having one of the parked aircraft moved and parked on the apron. A lot of the passengers on the flight were elderly and families with young kids who had just been on a flight for 4.5 hrs with significant turbulence and the toilets had been off limits for nearly 2hrs. Both Aer Lingus and the DAA will claim that customer satisfaction is one off there main priorities but in my opinion and many of the other disgruntled passengers we were treated like animals. Aer Lingus claim to be a 4 Star airline, don’t make me laugh.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"disgraceful the way we got spoken to"

Not Verified | Every place we asked about food and drinks all the staff were very rude and would not give a time as to when they would be open, all we got told was, 'open later or open soon'. This is our first early time flying and it has put me right off Dublin airport, all the other times it was fine but it's disgraceful the way we got spoken to and all we wanted was some food.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"It’s an absolutely horrid idea"

Trip Verified | Whoever hired the staff working at the airport deserves credit because everyone I talked to or dealt with had high customer service skills, good manners and generally all around nice people. I expect and hope that all Irish people are the same as that can’t be taught. P. But I am now reviewing Marqette Restaurant. As a lone traveller with a bad back, a coat, a carry on and a duty free bottle how is it likely for me to manage my luggage and walk around the food, order, pick cutlery etc all on a tray and pay. I don’t get it. Is this to save on paying waiting staff? It’s an absolutely horrid idea. What is the point? I just don’t get it. The lady behind the breakfast counter was happy to help me. Passengers are not allowed to leave their baggage and belongings unattended, So what genius came up with this idea!? Probably not the same people with did the hiring of the great staff on hand.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"Gate Area is just too noisy"

(Norway)

Not Verified | Terminal 1 Gate Area is just too noisy even by airport standards. Constant messages over intercom system for late passengers, boarding calls etc. It's a pity because the airport has worked hard on getting other areas right up by the shopping area. A quieter environment makes the experience much nicer.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"security staff very impolite"

(Spain)

Not Verified | The security staff are very impolite and talk to you as you were idiot. They also get angry if you don’t speak English very well. Another negative point is there aren’t enough place to sit while waiting for your flight. The airport is small and claustrophobic for so many people. I don’t recommend buying something in this airport, because the prices are too elevated. Cleaning is also a weak aspect of the airport. The few places to sit are very dirty. The WC is very dirty too and many things need to be fixed.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"Great experience for departure and arrival"

Trip Verified | Great experience for departure and arrival. Departure I flew through the whole airport. Security took 5-10 minutes. The only delay was on swab tests. Loads of swab tests on the baggage. Great shops/food options after security. Swiftly boarded plane. Departure on time and no fuss. Arrival was even better. Walked from plane to passport control very quickly and got through passport control in approx 5 minutes. No luggage so exited airport very quickly. In taxi straight away. From airplane landing to sitting in taxi was less than 20 mins. So so easy.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"one of the nicest Terminals"

Verified Review | Terminal 2 in Dublin is one of the nicest Terminals I have been to. Termial 2 is really new and modern. The queing times were very short and the staff were friendly. Everywhere are signs however the walking distances are quite long. The airport offers a wide selection of duty free shops and food. However I was there in the morning and it was quite cold inside the building. Otherwise the airport is excellent.
Date VisitNovember 2017