Airline of the Year

Dubai Airport

"always been less than satisfactory"

Verified Review | As often is the case when departing from this airport, the experience has always been less than satisfactory. From the condescending check-in staff to the unfriendly uncooperative and inattentive retail staff to the lack lustre dismal staff at the boarding counter, this was perhaps the worst experience I have had in this airport with regards to customer service. Not to mention the fact that they have now introduced a fine for extra weight on hand carry and for some reason that fine needs to be round up to the nearest 10 (which makes no sense whatsoever), collectively makes departures at this airport a forgetable experience.
Date VisitJune 2017

"lack of toilet facilities"

The main problem in Dubai Airport is the lack of toilet facilities. No planning seemingly has be made. The toilets are basically too small. The other issue is very expensive goods, they must cater for the majority of passenger, economy.
Date VisitJune 2017

"loud, overcrowded and dirty"

(Greece)

Transit at Dubai airport was a disappointing experience on 2 of my last trips. I had high expectations since anyone would assume that the transit hub of Emirates would be of great quality. But it's not! First of all, expect to be stuck in a bus from your plane to / from the terminal for more than 20 minutes. Ours was almost 40, due to traffic in the airport streets. Then an unexpected security check, with large queues especially on the busy hours. Prepare to spend at least an hour there, and also deal with ignorant and unfriendly staff. And the worst of all, the terminal is loud, overcrowded and dirty, with minimum signage and staff to help. The duty free shops are great, but what a traveler needs on a transit airport are basic amenities and some place to sit or rest and some clean toilets, which are hard things to find in Dubai terminal 3, unless you go to the lounges. Toilets were shockingly dirty and overcrowded, probably the worst I have ever come across in an international airport. It was also really hard to find a proper seat, even around your gate; on the contrary you would see people resting on the floor. The design of the upper floor gates space doesn't make much sense for the amount of people waiting for their flights there. There is no announcement, not even a sign with information about the next flight(s). You have to be impatient (like me) to notice whether the boarding has started or something else happened. I really felt uncomfortable the 2 times I had to transit there for 6 hours. OK someone can go to the lounges and be stress-free, but the majority of economy class travelers also deserve some proper amenities, which doesn't exist.
Date VisitApril 2017

"we don't find it user friendly at all"

(Malaysia)

The airport is huge and with numerous duty free shops, restaurants, international brands and snacks stalls etc. However, as an international transit airport we don't find it user friendly at all. If you want any snacks or food or just a cup of coffee, you must first go to the money changers to convert into local currency. With thousands of visitors flying in daily, I am sure it wouldn't be difficult for the shops to also transact in either US or Euro dollars. In fact, to do so, may just add up on improved sales. Although the duty free shops with its huge selection of liquors, chocolates, wines and other stuffs on sale, in reality these are priced way way above all other airports duty free shops. I could easily pick up the same product for less than 50% of the costs back home. It just doesn't make senses for anyone to buy anything here, unless it's for last minute forgotten token or gift for some love one back home.
Date VisitMay 2017

"I have a real issue with ignorant staff"

Verified Review | I have no objection to security but I have a real issue with ignorant staff who point and do not speak and treat you poorly, a bad example of customer relations but I guess that comes with arragonce and ignorance. You could learn from the French and English.
Date VisitJune 2017

"departure area is really run down"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | We landed at Dubai airport on 4 May 2017 and departed on 14 May. On arrival as we were a little jet lagged we were grateful to get our luggage rather quickly and cleared customs and immigration fast too. Could not see much as it was 6.25 pm or thereabouts and getting dusky. However on 14 May we checked in by 6pm although flight was at 8pm. This gave us the chance to see the departure area. There were no proper signs as to where to check in and we spent a good half hour standing in the wrong queue. I was surprised to see people sitting in groups on the floor and some even eating. The departure area is really run down and duty free is nothing to talk about. Thankfully there was intermittent wifi and frankly we were happy when we boarded our flight.
Date VisitMay 2017

"appallingly slow and inconvenient"

Verified Review | Awful. The transit between Terminals is appallingly slow and inconvenient. They use tiny cramped minibuses completely unsuited to the purpose, and have not bothered to improve it or maybe take the obvious step of using larger buses. Took an hour just to get to my terminal.
Date VisitMay 2017

"Overcrowded and very poor security"

Verified Review | Overcrowded and very poor security. I was sitting on an bench at Starbucks and noticed an unattended bag. Thinking not much about it I let it go for 20 minutes. Then I realized my responsibility to public safety (and myself) and told a Dubai airport attendant (they wear the blue shirts), who informed me that security had been informed. 20 more minutes later security never showed up! You can imagine my concern as a foreign traveler. Fortunately the owner showed up. I informed the same blue-shirt attendant that the owners of the bag were now right in front of me and they just stood there staring, not attempting to inform the bag owner of their responsibilities to monitor their baggage. As for the overcrowding, you can't check into the gates until 2 hours prior to your flight and there's NO where to go except one tiny Starbucks. If a consumer is willing to pay to get into a restaurant and away from the crowds why on earth wouldn't there be more places to go? I'm so used to seeing Dubai do things way over the top, but Dubai International is even below western standards when it comes to flying. And the bathrooms are disgusting, and smell awful.

"a very poor experience"

Transit in Dubaï is becoming more and more an ugly experience, provided that with the growth of their fleet, Emirates is not docking to gates when your a note travelling on A380's. So then comes the bus trip, among luggage trolleys and gazoline trucks. Long, very long, turning here and there in an endless journey through this huge airport. During my last trip, Geneva - Dubai - Bangalore return, we spent between 30min to 45min in the buss. Due to short transit, rest of it was about running in the terminal to catch next plane. Somehow a good way for them to reduce the time (and cost) spent in the lounges, but in the end a very poor experience.

"ignorant staff"

Verified Review | We experienced transit, arrival and departure this month. Transit wasn't too bad as we only 2 hours there, long enough to be fleeced by the bar (£10 for a beer) and shake shack (I think it was called that, £7 for a shake). The positives were that there were some drinking water fountains in the airport, however the first one we tried dispensed warm water. Boarding was ok although as ever it's clear that Emirates do not care about their economy class passengers. 2 weeks later we arrived back at DXB for a one night stopover, the arrival was straightforward, passport control was easy and the bags were quick. However when we got to the taxi rank we were directed to a car by someone who looked like they worked there, only to be ripped off by a £40 fare to the palm. Even if the guy there wasn't an employee, any airport that cared for it's customers would stop these con artists from being at the airport. The last straw was when we departed Dubai the following day. The check in staff were the most miserable and ignorant I have encountered at any airport, likewise the passport control guy seemed to hate people, and really had no care for his job. Even with my polite "good morning" to anyone we encountered, responses were non-existent. Then at the gate were were subjected to further security by ignorant staff. After this there was an announcement that anyone with duty free liquid would need to speak to staff as it would not be allowed on the plane, there were no Emirates staff around and the security guards were completely disinterested, the woman at security was too busy playing with her phone to help. We were so delighted to leave Dubai and would happily never return to this dump of an airport - it may look nice but if you fill it with the worlds most ignorant staff it will never be a nice place. The wifi was useless and ridiculously slow on each visit