Top 100 Airports

Detroit Airport

"annoyed at my questions"

Missed my connecting flight due to the worst international arrivals system I have ever experienced. The attendants I asked for basic information looked bored and annoyed at my questions, took a long time doing everything. Even trying to walk by them in the hall was an extra chore, I said "please excuse me" to an attendant as I rushed past her in a tight space, and heard her yell, "just be patient". I saw them snapping at other international travellers who were not accustomed to American airports and didn't understand why they kept being redirected to different lines. Many people around me also had connecting flights to make and their concerns were continually dismissed. The kiosks for reviewing passports in detail were massively understaffed, for about fifteen minutes there was one clerk servicing three different lines. And when I finally got to my terminal and found out I had missed my flight, the woman running the desk sent me to the wrong area to get a new flight, and refused to answer my questions when I asked for clarification about where to go and what to do. I fly between the US and UK frequently and this was the absolute worst customer service treatment I have experienced. The only positive experience I had was with the waitresses in the restaurant I stopped at during my extended layover, an absolute day-and-night difference in attitude, helpfulness, and general commitment to helping people have the easiest travel possible.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"one of the better airports"

Detroit is one of the better airports I have experienced in the United States. The McNamara terminal is clean and well maintained. TSA wait times can vary greatly depending on time of day. Once inside, concourse A is roughly a mile long from end to end, with many shops and restaurants to check out. They actually have good food inside the terminal, such as Longhorn Steakhouse, although prices may be slightly higher than at the same restaurant outside of the airport. The Delta Sky Clubs are okay, but not necessarily worth the $50+ for a one time visit. They do have nice and clean showers, but the food they offer is not that special. It is a good place to relax, grab some snacks, and get some work done, but don't count on being able to get a full meal there. My only complaint is that the public WiFi is not dependable (or at least I couldn't figure it out). I am able to connect, but usually have no luck getting it to work. I often am only able to use WiFi at a Delta Sky Club, where I use the club's WiFi and not the airport's WiFi. If you ever go through Customs and Border Protection at DTW, your experience can vary greatly. DTW now supports the automated kiosk passport system, however, some officers will ask you question after question, holding up the line..
Date VisitMay 2016

"nice terminal"

Nice terminal at Detroit Airport. Horrible network. Clean and good food/beverage choices. If you want to do a little work between flights - forget it. WiFi and mobile data is very poor in this techno-backwater. Countless drops. Boingo has very poor service here.
Date VisitFebruary 2016

"tram system was out of order"

Has a 2 hour layover at Detroit. Upon arrival the tram system was out of order for service. Had to go from one end of terminal A to the other no biggie. Stopped restrooms clean. Went to get food at a Chick Fil A, no signs indicating a line or where to enter so I stepped up to a register, had an airport employee (not Chick Fil A) grab my arm and say sir you need to enter over here. Looked a little irritated as she grabbed me but I moved. About the time I moved to where she was another passenger walked up, she looked at me again and said no you need to enter here. Lady who had walked up said for me to go ahead and stay, did not want the wrath of the employee so I said no but thanked her, went around and got in line. Never dealt with such a rude person and I literally walked up to a counter. After eating found one of the floor managers explained what happened and gave employee name. Boarded flight and left. I have flown through here a few times and never encountered such a rude person.
Date VisitSeptember 2015

Detroit Airport customer review

Detroit airport, specifically the Delta terminal is a great terminal. I flew Delta arriving from Chicago, and heading to Amsterdam. The McNamara terminal has a very modern feel, with the Express train zooming by every 5 minutes taking you from one end to the other. The terminal has lots of shopping possibilities and a great variety of restaurants to pick and choose from. Best medium-sized airport.
Date VisitJune 2015

Detroit Airport customer review

For international departure DTW is ideal. For international arrivals DTW is to be avoided at all cost. The gross incompetence of TSA and US Customs at DTW amazes me. It took me almost two hours to slug through security and customs at DTW after arriving on time on a scheduled flight. DTW personnel (of which there are many but poorly trained) seemed taken by surprise by the arrival of my flight. TSA lines were needlessly long due to severe understaffing. DTW and TSA seem to have conspired to hire many employees to shout instructions to arriving passengers to cram into inadequate screening lines rather than to provide more screening lines. Avoid arriving at DTW from an international airport at all costs: TSA + DTW = totally inadequate to the point of utter incompetence. Delta and KLM: this is a major hub for your international operations. Why do you routinely subject your unfortunate customers to such mistreatment at DTW?

Detroit Airport customer review

This is a very convenient clean and well-designed airport. It works well both for international as well as domestic travel. There are numerous transportation options to and from the airport and the tram in the McNamara terminal is very convenient. Security is always very efficient yet thorough. I have been running late a number of times for flights our of Detroit Metro but the ease of parking the efficiency of security and the tram have always got me to the gate on time. Additionally there are numerous dining and shopping options for those who have time prior to take-off or those connecting to another city.

(Brazil)

We arrived at and connected at the MacNamara terminal used by Delta etc. rather than the older north terminal used by Southwest American etc. which we had used on a previous trip. This terminal is relatively small clean and easy to use. We had a very short walk between gates. Almost disappointed we made our connection as I was secretly hoping we'd have to overnight and be put in the lovely Westin hotel that's in the terminal.
Queuing Times N/A

Detroit Airport customer review

I flew AMS-DWT and then on to MKE at the end of May it was a fair walk from the arrival gate to immigration passing the US citizen entry area which was quite full I only had 1 hour left of my transfer time left so was a little apprehensive as to how long the queue for non US persons what a surprise around ten booths open and around twenty people yes 20 people queuing! I was chatting to the CBP guy for 5 minutes since there was no one behind me it seems that immigration had been full at 2pm with flights from 'Asia' but is slow at 3pm for a while. I continued on past baggage claim (I only had hand luggage) and on to security screening again no queues. The staff were very friendly and we chatted about the difference between DTW and the madness at ORD and I was on to my next flight around 20 minutes from leaving the plane and half of that was chatting to officials. The elevators bring you out in departures at the central train stop so on to the train to the north station and the gate was around 2 minutes walk as usual I checked the gate and time I had time to freshen up and bought a Philly Steak which was very nice and around $5.00 soon after they were calling the flight. I have used the airport before without problems I have to give DTW 10 out of 10. A quick note you can take food and drink you buy in the terminal on to planes in the US most people seem to since they don't serve more then pretzels on board it is called buy and fly.

Detroit Airport customer review

The Customs procedure leaves something to be desired. We will not book another flight that goes through Detroit for international flights again. We were on a flight that originated in Barcelona then onto Amsterdam (where we did a complete security scan) onto Detroit. We passed through customs just fine with the declarations paper completed and verified by an officer before we collected our luggage. Then our luggage was late coming off the plane and by then other flights arrived making the customs line exceedingly long. We told 3 customs officers patrolling the area (there were another 4 just standing around doing nothing) that we had a flight leaving in 30 minutes. Each one said we would make it. Then we had to go through another security check (we just had one at the gate in Amsterdam). Well we missed the flight. The next one we were put on was leaving 6 hours later and did not have the option of an extra 4 inches of leg room previously purchased for our original flight. In Amsterdam by the way there was an express line through customs for those travelers that had a flight leaving in 30 minutes or less. Why US airports don't do this should be explored. Probably because it makes sense.