Airline of the Year

Denpasar Bali Airport

"Horrible service. Terribly disappointed"

Verified Review | After an amazing 15 days in Bali we made a stress free early arrival to the airport to commence our return to the UK. Unfortunately when approaching the final immigration check, our final interaction with a Balinese representative tainted our experience. Despite noticing the one person only sign under the desks, my two daughters age 14 and 17 and I approached​ the desk, where I immediately clarified they were my children. The officer displeased that we had made our way to the desk together, queried their age and mocked me that they were even children. I took him to be rudely referencing my eldest and I gave her passport so she could pass through alone. When I mentioned the youngest was 14 he said I must 'follow the rules' and she was sent to deal with immigration alone also! It's not clear at which age minors are meant to travel with or without parents, therefore for a UK Citizen where my youngest cannot travel alone until 16, I find it incredibly rude the way I was spoken to, like I was being rediculous. Also unpleasant that my youngest wasn't prepared to deal with immigration alone for the first time. Both of my daughter's noted his rudeness. We have travelled dozens of countries from Europe to the UAE and never been separated as a family unit, or addressed quite so rudely! If he had simply said, all over X age must go through alone, or there was an age indicative sign, it would be rational. Horrible service. Terribly disappointed.
Date VisitApril 2017

"very busy in the late evening"

For arrival at Denpasar Bali - beware the possibility of a very long walk from your gate to Immigration. Once there, the lines are small and the officers are non-confrontational. Baggage takes a long time, and so does clearing the Customs line. Well, actually, there is no line, just a mass of people all walking through and handing their customs declaration form to one of the officers who look as though they would prefer to be elsewhere. Baggage was not X-rayed at the exit, although I suspect that the slow arrival of all the bags on the carousel was because they were all x-rayed prior to being sent upstairs (although this is mere speculation on my part). Once through the throng at Customs, it's into the hot humid air and your holiday begins! Departure - and your holiday ends here. There's security check and luggage x-ray at the entrance to the terminal. After check-in there is another more comprehensive security screening, at which all shoes and belts must be removed and lighters / matches will be confiscated. The lines move very slowly and there is no separate line for premium passengers. The security officers were efficient, and managed to maintain a professional decorum even when dealing with frustrated passengers (this is in contrast to some other places I have traveled, where security can be downright obnoxious). At evening peak-hour, this will take 45 minutes. Not kidding. The airport has the same international luxury brand shops as every other airport in the world. Our bags made it onto our flight. Ngurah Rai is very busy in the late evening, so be prepared for crowds and noise. All-up, though, it's not too bad, and the security is for a good reason. It is reassuring to see that they take airport security so seriously, and the staff act very professionally.
Date VisitApril 2017

"cost for food is ridiculous"

I do not have an issue with the airport facilities in Bali but my husband and I decided to buy a snack before getting on the plane. Ordered a burger and chips. Also wedges and spring rolls. Bill was 599000rp. Cost for the burger 250000rp. This is ridiculous - never paid this for a burger ever and not expected to pay this in Bali.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"hardly the welcoming place befitting of Bali"

Verified Review | Arrival into the domestic terminal was seamless and our bags arrived immediately. Once out of the airport you are surrounded by taxi touts and have to be pretty tough to avoid them. At the international terminal upon departure as others have said there is an unwelcome side to Bali airport in that you're approached quite aggressively by guys offering to help you with your baggage for a fee when the actual airport trolleys are there for free. There is then a document check at the doors of the terminal which causes chaos with the volume of travellers trying to go through a couple of entrances. Once inside things improve although the plethora of high-end shops is a bit lost of the average tourist. Overall the airport is hardly the welcoming place befitting of Bali in general.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"there are few things that disappointed me"

Verified Review | The airport is decent enough but there are few things that disappointed me: Arrival: The exchange rates at the airport are terrible (that's the case at most of the airports). The airport taxis are very very costly. We got the taxi at half the price that the airport taxi was charging. The duty free shop is quite expensive even for the usual day to day products. Departure: As soon as we arrived at the airport, there was a guy standing at the airport taxi drop off point with the trolley that he was offering us at the charge of two dollars. This was insane. We were shocked. How can someone do this. Trolleys are airport property and are absolutely free of charge for everyone and he was trying to rent it to us openly. After we cleared immigration, passing through the duty free shop was the only way to go to the departure gates and it was a maze. There were no signboards showing where the boarding gates were.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"terrible for a number of reasons"

(Indonesia)

Verified Review | I am mainly a full time resident in Bali for the past 7 years, and have travelled in and out over 50 times. The airport is terrible, for a number of reasons. The cost of food and drink in the airport (and duty free) is between 3-400% higher than outside. I do not know of an airport in the world that gouges its customers more than Bali. When someone arrives at the airport, they are very likely to encounter incredibly long line ups at immigration - 20-40 minutes and often much longer. When you get out of the airport, it is like a bad movie. People are best upon by "taxi" drivers, it is totally relentless and aggressive. I have my usual driver pick me up, and I speak Indonesian well and explain to each person I have a driver already, and I still often get followed out into the parking lot and asked 10-30 times. It is a terrible way to arrive after a long flight. When departing, the airport and security staff all try to get you to wrap your luggage saying it isn't safe - lovely! Basically, you get harassed on arrival at the airport, and completely ripped off on the way out.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"many shops and restaurants"

Verified Review | Denpasar Bali is one of the best airports in whole of Indonesia. Much better than Jakarta. Arrival is quick and easy, we got taxi to our hotel and ATM's if you need. While flying out in departures there were many shops, restaurants and seating areas. It has really cool view of sea. There are a lot of place to charge your phone. The WiFi wasn't as good as promised.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"everything is massively overpriced"

Verified Review | Denpasar Bali is a horrible airport. Everything is massively overpriced, its swelteringly hot, and there are way too many staff just bumbling around with nothing to do. After deciding we were hungry enough to pay an outrageous amount for food, we went to a Sushi place, and despite there being seven members of staff, they couldn't make any new food and there was only a stale selection of rather sweaty looking sushi left. So went to a different place and as walking in saw someone sending their food back, not a good sign. Upon receiving the bill there was 10% tax added on top, something i've not experienced anywhere else in Bali. And this was all just on leaving, upon arriving my partner was stopped and had every last item of his luggage pulled out by security. And when leaving the airport you will be aggressively harassed by a million and one taxi drivers, and if you choose to go with the official taxi counter, prepare to be ripped of yet again. This place will leave a bad taste in your mouth when arriving and leaving the island.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"prices that will make your eyes water"

Verified Review | 3 times through security at Denpasar Bali, on each occasion you are "lucky enough" to have any liquids taken from you so you can re-buy them at prices that will make your eyes water in any airport. Security staff with a power trip that enjoy the chance to laud it over visitors who nowadays are too scared to do anything but almost bend themselves over in two to comply.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"rules of engagement keep changing"

Verified Review | Poor air-conditioning for a recently built airport. Worse still, a security officer told me that I should get my suitcase wrapped in plastic (8000 Rp) as they are experiencing theft issues because so many workers handle luggage on the conveyor belts. This is the 5th year I've been through this airport and the rules of engagement keep changing every time I go through. Airport taxes are part of our air ticket fee and yet they cannot guarantee our checked luggage will not be tampered with, nor will they provide this as a complimentary service.
Date VisitNovember 2016