Delhi Airport

"the management can't get it right"

(Sweden)

Unverified | Sad that with such a nice facility, the management can't get it right. Military guard entrance making sure nobody enters more than 4 h prior to departure, which comically/tragically is barely enough to go through the tedious immigration (very sleepy impolite persons behind counter). Upon immigrations, follows a security check, where they have asked me to turn my hand luggage inside out every single time I've been through. However, nobody even watches what is in the bag. Once through, you're exposed to Hindi songs non-stop through the omni-present loud speaker system.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"Not a bad airport, but not a calming experience"

Verified Review | Arrival: Very typical international arrivals procedure - nothing too special to speak of. On the long walk to immigration, watch out for the speedy golf carts, and remember to fill in the immigration form if you're traveling on a non-SARC passport. Departure: Very typical departure procedure for India (but will be a slightly unnerving overall experience for passengers accustomed to international airports outside of India). Two "first world problem" annoyances in Departures: Wi-Fi is a joke. After 45mins of free access, you're invited by Tata and DoCoMo to buy an access pass with mediocre bandwidth and minuscule total data limits. For international guests, this will be an annoyance compared with the unlimited free Wi-Fi available in most international airports. Climate control is tuned for a much higher temperature than most other international airports. For those connecting from cooler climes or who are used to standard room temperature, 23-deg C (73.4-deg F), it's going to feel warm. Overall Departures: Security begins with checkpoints and excessive numbers of traffic calmings on the road as you approach the airport, but these are more like military-manned speed bumps with no real checking taking place. You will only be allowed to enter the terminal (even just the departure hall) if you present your passport and a valid printed / electronic ticket to the armed military personnel who guard the sliding doors. Check-in counter experience is typical to most international airports, though, noticeably sluggish. Exit Immigration process can also be relatively sluggish, even with all documents and visas readily available. Immigration agents clearly don't earn bonus salary based on throughput rates. Similar to other Indian airports, the security checkpoint will likely be frustrating if you're used to the more technology-supported and less touchy-feely procedures in most other international airports. Despite removing all metal from your person and walking through a metal detector without setting off the alarm, you will be asked to stand on a box, arms out, and be swiped with a metal detector and be patted down. Though I did not personally experience it in Delhi, I saw my fellow travelers be heavily scrutinized for the contents of their bags to an extent above and beyond most other international airports (in a way similar to experiences I've had in Mumbai that felt petty and unnecessary). Be warned: you will likely receive no sympathy for items whose dimensions are near the borderline of allowed sizes. Duty-Free and shopping area are typical to most international airports. A number of shops specializing in Indian wares are dotted throughout the airport. Convenient for those last-minute pashmina purchases. Overall: The military presence throughout the airport combined with military involvement in so many aspects of the operations makes for practical and procedure-centric security protocols, but it's a clumsy and heavy-handed approach that doesn't win bonus points for customer experience. Not a bad airport, but not a calming experience, very little joy can be derived from spending time there.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"very clean and neat"

Verified Review | Delhi is one of the best airport I have seen. If you have reached the airport you can even sleep near the boarding gate. The boarding gates are in general very spacious with an ample number of seats. Very beautiful ivory sculptures mesmerize you. The airport is very clean and neat. There are an ample number of eateries and shopping stores. But the shopping spaces do not clutter the boarding gates, unlike other airports.
Date VisitJune 2017

"I am hesitant to travel back"

Verified Review | Immigration officers are very rude. At my arrival, I filled a form in the flight which I thought needs to be filled. I was thinking if they would need it on the immigration counter, it's fine otherwise I can trash it later. When I showed that form to immigration guy he started harassing me that if I am not educated enough to see if it's need to be filled or not. He ruined my trip at the airport on my arrival. I love to travel to India but just because of these people I am hesitant to travel back.

"it is very stressful"

Verified Review | Delhi Airport is nice as long as journey starts or ends here. If you are a transit passenger or travelling with children then it is very stressful. I checked in a pram at the point of boarding at LHR but the pram was not given back to us at Delhi. They don’t handover prams to transit passenger which is very strange policy. I was told that prams would be handed over at the final destination as a piece of luggage. One has to carry their child in their arms and walk long distances to the next point of boarding at this airport. The food is really expensive and shops add extra taxes in the final bill to the published rates which is again confusing. The toilets were clean at this airport. This airport management is under the impression that they are doing a favor to passengers by letting them transit. I am paying hefty airport fees in air tickets but not getting any essential services in return.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"Staff harass the life out of you"

Unverified | Staff in the duty free harass the life out of you. I was followed by two staff for an entire hour. It was deeply unpleasant despite telling them I knew what I wanted they continued to bombard me even waiting near the MAC counter when I went for a makeover. I asked them politely to leave me to shop in peace but they simply did not listen. It was unnecessary and rude. If I want to try perfumes I will do so at my leisure! They must have approached me at least 20 times in one hour. Awful I just wanted to stroll around and look but no they kept appearing. Foul.
Date VisitApril 2017

"poorly run international airport"

It would be smart if whoever is in charge of the Delhi airport would read some of these reviews. Delhi airport has to have the honor of being one of the stupidest, poorly run international airports in the world. If you are starting your journey from Delhi or transferring from a domestic flight on Indigo, Spice Air or the other local airlines you won't be allowed into the terminal until 4 hours before your flight. Instead you have to wait in a sterile glass room until the "4 hours before" time is reached. On the other side of the glass you can watch the food kiosks, coffee stands and check in counters while you sit and twiddle your thumbs! It gets better: Like most International airports Delhi has free wifi. All you have to do is fill out your mobile number and agree to their terms and they send you a SMS with the access code. Sounds so easy! Except, they will only send the code to a local number! This is an international airport. A lot of people don't have local numbers.
Date VisitApril 2017

"they appeared to be understaffed"

Verified Review | Transited through Delhi en route from Frankfurt to Lucknow. The immigration process took a long time since they appeared to be understaffed. The Air India transfer desk was not very keen on working and asked me to go upstairs towards the main check-in counters. I insisted that they process me through the transfer desk, or else it beats the purpose of having a transfer desk! Security at Delhi airport was very smooth in the early hours of the morning. However, the Air Conditioning was turned off, so it felt stuffy. They turned the AC back on around 5 am or so. There are plenty of dining options in Delhi and very nice music playing in the background. While returning from Lucknow to catch outbound flight from Delhi, the transfer process was very smooth. There are separate (and shorter) immigration and security lines for international transfers.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"unpleasant, unsympathetic, and unhelpful"

Verified Review | Avoid this airport if at all possible. There are multiple signs around the airport that say it is rated as one of the best in the world. I would love to know who rated it so well, because this airport is run as if it were a prison. You can only move through it when they say you can. We had a 13 hour layover here due to a missed connection caused by an Indian domestic airline. We had business class tickets so we thought that at least we could comfortably spend those long hours in the business class lounge. Despite having paid thousands of dollars for business class we were told we could not access this lounge until 6 hours before our departure time. First we were held prisoners in a glass pen which had only one small kiosk with a minimal selection of food and no restrooms. To use the restrooms we had to leave the pen and go to the arrivals area. Every time we left and then re-entered this glass pen which the airport calls a "lounge" we had to present our passports and departure documents. Finally 6 hours before our flight time we were allowed to leave the glass pen. We then proceeded to the appropriate Indian airline Business Class departure desk. There we were told that we could not go through security (and arrive at the business class lounge) until 4 hours before flight time. To say that we were incensed is putting it mildly. Finally they agreed to allow us to advance through their prison system to the business lounge 5 hours before our flight time. The airline's ground personnel at the airport were unpleasant, unsympathetic, and unhelpful. The security officials were surly. Once we arrived at the Business Class Lounge our remaining hours in this prison called the Indira Ghandi Delhi International Airport passed smoothly. It is too bad that this airport is so highly regulated because the building is beautiful and well kept. But I will never, ever pass through this airport again. One does not pay for business class to be held prisoner in a glass pen for 7 hours!
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"no hassles whatsoever"

(Zambia)

I suppose it all depends on what time you arrive. This was my first trip to Delhi and after reading all the reviews I was dreading it. But, surprise surprise! Landed at 19.30 and from the plane to the taxi was 15 minutes. Five counters open at the e-visa counters and not one tourist, greeted warmly by the immigration officer who joked he and his colleagues were waiting just for me. Two days later we departed from the domestic terminal on Air Indigo to Chennai with no hassles whatsoever.
Date VisitFebruary 2017