Vote Now

Delhi Airport

"it is very stressful"

Verified Review | Delhi Airport is nice as long as journey starts or ends here. If you are a transit passenger or travelling with children then it is very stressful. I checked in a pram at the point of boarding at LHR but the pram was not given back to us at Delhi. They don’t handover prams to transit passenger which is very strange policy. I was told that prams would be handed over at the final destination as a piece of luggage. One has to carry their child in their arms and walk long distances to the next point of boarding at this airport. The food is really expensive and shops add extra taxes in the final bill to the published rates which is again confusing. The toilets were clean at this airport. This airport management is under the impression that they are doing a favor to passengers by letting them transit. I am paying hefty airport fees in air tickets but not getting any essential services in return.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"Staff harass the life out of you"

Unverified | Staff in the duty free harass the life out of you. I was followed by two staff for an entire hour. It was deeply unpleasant despite telling them I knew what I wanted they continued to bombard me even waiting near the MAC counter when I went for a makeover. I asked them politely to leave me to shop in peace but they simply did not listen. It was unnecessary and rude. If I want to try perfumes I will do so at my leisure! They must have approached me at least 20 times in one hour. Awful I just wanted to stroll around and look but no they kept appearing. Foul.
Date VisitApril 2017

"poorly run international airport"

It would be smart if whoever is in charge of the Delhi airport would read some of these reviews. Delhi airport has to have the honor of being one of the stupidest, poorly run international airports in the world. If you are starting your journey from Delhi or transferring from a domestic flight on Indigo, Spice Air or the other local airlines you won't be allowed into the terminal until 4 hours before your flight. Instead you have to wait in a sterile glass room until the "4 hours before" time is reached. On the other side of the glass you can watch the food kiosks, coffee stands and check in counters while you sit and twiddle your thumbs! It gets better: Like most International airports Delhi has free wifi. All you have to do is fill out your mobile number and agree to their terms and they send you a SMS with the access code. Sounds so easy! Except, they will only send the code to a local number! This is an international airport. A lot of people don't have local numbers.
Date VisitApril 2017

"they appeared to be understaffed"

Verified Review | Transited through Delhi en route from Frankfurt to Lucknow. The immigration process took a long time since they appeared to be understaffed. The Air India transfer desk was not very keen on working and asked me to go upstairs towards the main check-in counters. I insisted that they process me through the transfer desk, or else it beats the purpose of having a transfer desk! Security at Delhi airport was very smooth in the early hours of the morning. However, the Air Conditioning was turned off, so it felt stuffy. They turned the AC back on around 5 am or so. There are plenty of dining options in Delhi and very nice music playing in the background. While returning from Lucknow to catch outbound flight from Delhi, the transfer process was very smooth. There are separate (and shorter) immigration and security lines for international transfers.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"unpleasant, unsympathetic, and unhelpful"

Verified Review | Avoid this airport if at all possible. There are multiple signs around the airport that say it is rated as one of the best in the world. I would love to know who rated it so well, because this airport is run as if it were a prison. You can only move through it when they say you can. We had a 13 hour layover here due to a missed connection caused by an Indian domestic airline. We had business class tickets so we thought that at least we could comfortably spend those long hours in the business class lounge. Despite having paid thousands of dollars for business class we were told we could not access this lounge until 6 hours before our departure time. First we were held prisoners in a glass pen which had only one small kiosk with a minimal selection of food and no restrooms. To use the restrooms we had to leave the pen and go to the arrivals area. Every time we left and then re-entered this glass pen which the airport calls a "lounge" we had to present our passports and departure documents. Finally 6 hours before our flight time we were allowed to leave the glass pen. We then proceeded to the appropriate Indian airline Business Class departure desk. There we were told that we could not go through security (and arrive at the business class lounge) until 4 hours before flight time. To say that we were incensed is putting it mildly. Finally they agreed to allow us to advance through their prison system to the business lounge 5 hours before our flight time. The airline's ground personnel at the airport were unpleasant, unsympathetic, and unhelpful. The security officials were surly. Once we arrived at the Business Class Lounge our remaining hours in this prison called the Indira Ghandi Delhi International Airport passed smoothly. It is too bad that this airport is so highly regulated because the building is beautiful and well kept. But I will never, ever pass through this airport again. One does not pay for business class to be held prisoner in a glass pen for 7 hours!
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"no hassles whatsoever"

(Zambia)

I suppose it all depends on what time you arrive. This was my first trip to Delhi and after reading all the reviews I was dreading it. But, surprise surprise! Landed at 19.30 and from the plane to the taxi was 15 minutes. Five counters open at the e-visa counters and not one tourist, greeted warmly by the immigration officer who joked he and his colleagues were waiting just for me. Two days later we departed from the domestic terminal on Air Indigo to Chennai with no hassles whatsoever.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"bored and tired immigration officers"

Verified Review | The good: The airport building is good. Arrival: You arrive into this modern looking terminal, weird music playing and you get to the restrooms and the smell of urine hits you, voila you have arrived. The bored and tired immigration officers genuinely do not care about you and they will let you know. Getting your luggage out is usually hassle free and efficient, plenty of car booking and hotel options as you get out and if you are not careful whilst on your first pedestrian crossing you will get run over. There is a metro station and the train is superb for getting into the chaos of Delhi. Departure: At airline check in counters, you can expect good service but it is downhill from there as get to face the queues leading upto those endearing immigration officers. Rudeness and uncourteousness is what perhaps they are rigorously trained in and if so they are all doing a tremendous job! Scenario - family of four hands in four passport, boarding passes the lot, the guy throws it back at you and demands you hand those back to him one by one. Eating and drinking: Good options once in departure area, duty free shopping is not cheap by any means. You will see plenty of men wearing some king of badges seemingly loitering around.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"the customer service is lacking the majority of the time"

This is hands down the worst airport in the world. I've flown to many many airports and this one takes the cake. The bathrooms are vile, the food choices are limited and the customer service is lacking the majority of the time. My husband and I have dubbed Delhi airport the Indian Purgatory - we were trapped in the "lounge" while we waited 10+ hours for our connecting flight to leave. We couldn't go outside, as we had a checked bag, but we couldn't go in to the area with a lounge and food, because our plane wasn't boarding within three hours. This really blows when you are transferring to another flight and the layover is longer than 3 hours. There are no signs on how to get from arrivals to international departure whatsoever. You just have to bumble along, hoping that 1 out of the 20 people you talk to will be polite and helpful. Today we literally had a customer service rep say "my name is Thomas Cook, not Air India" in response to my question about where we could get info from air India. Outrageously rude, for any culture. Of the 25 to 30 individuals we talked to during our visits through this awful place, only one of them was courteous and helpful. That's a pretty rotten ratio. Avoid this airport at all costs!
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"close the airport for an hour"

Verified Review | What a disaster Delhi Airport is. Not only was it under construction meaning there were few shopping and dining outlets available but usual miserable surly staff at immigration and security - the latter was the slowest I have ever encountered, but they had the cheek to close the airport for an hour while they practised for the national day celebrations. This meant my flight was very much delayed and I only just made my connection in Dubai. Never again if I can help it will I fly from Delhi.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"airport culture needs a revamp"

Big lineups at Delhi Airport immigration . The officer sounded tired and lazy and a lot of people were apparently frustrated as they were worried about the delay. Food court is small and has few choices. Custom people are poorly trained and lack courtesy. Overall, this is an airport with a new building, however the airport culture needs a revamp too.