Vote Now

Delhi Airport

"bored and tired immigration officers"

Verified Review | The good: The airport building is good. Arrival: You arrive into this modern looking terminal, weird music playing and you get to the restrooms and the smell of urine hits you, voila you have arrived. The bored and tired immigration officers genuinely do not care about you and they will let you know. Getting your luggage out is usually hassle free and efficient, plenty of car booking and hotel options as you get out and if you are not careful whilst on your first pedestrian crossing you will get run over. There is a metro station and the train is superb for getting into the chaos of Delhi. Departure: At airline check in counters, you can expect good service but it is downhill from there as get to face the queues leading upto those endearing immigration officers. Rudeness and uncourteousness is what perhaps they are rigorously trained in and if so they are all doing a tremendous job! Scenario - family of four hands in four passport, boarding passes the lot, the guy throws it back at you and demands you hand those back to him one by one. Eating and drinking: Good options once in departure area, duty free shopping is not cheap by any means. You will see plenty of men wearing some king of badges seemingly loitering around.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"the customer service is lacking the majority of the time"

This is hands down the worst airport in the world. I've flown to many many airports and this one takes the cake. The bathrooms are vile, the food choices are limited and the customer service is lacking the majority of the time. My husband and I have dubbed Delhi airport the Indian Purgatory - we were trapped in the "lounge" while we waited 10+ hours for our connecting flight to leave. We couldn't go outside, as we had a checked bag, but we couldn't go in to the area with a lounge and food, because our plane wasn't boarding within three hours. This really blows when you are transferring to another flight and the layover is longer than 3 hours. There are no signs on how to get from arrivals to international departure whatsoever. You just have to bumble along, hoping that 1 out of the 20 people you talk to will be polite and helpful. Today we literally had a customer service rep say "my name is Thomas Cook, not Air India" in response to my question about where we could get info from air India. Outrageously rude, for any culture. Of the 25 to 30 individuals we talked to during our visits through this awful place, only one of them was courteous and helpful. That's a pretty rotten ratio. Avoid this airport at all costs!
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"close the airport for an hour"

Verified Review | What a disaster Delhi Airport is. Not only was it under construction meaning there were few shopping and dining outlets available but usual miserable surly staff at immigration and security - the latter was the slowest I have ever encountered, but they had the cheek to close the airport for an hour while they practised for the national day celebrations. This meant my flight was very much delayed and I only just made my connection in Dubai. Never again if I can help it will I fly from Delhi.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"airport culture needs a revamp"

Big lineups at Delhi Airport immigration . The officer sounded tired and lazy and a lot of people were apparently frustrated as they were worried about the delay. Food court is small and has few choices. Custom people are poorly trained and lack courtesy. Overall, this is an airport with a new building, however the airport culture needs a revamp too.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"food court packed to the brim"

Verified Review | Delhi is one of the worst airport experiences ever. Arrived at terminal 1 at 11:30 am to board a 1:30 pm flight on Indigo airlines. The food court was packed to the brim with inadequate seating. The toilets are dilapidated and stink. The departure area is overcrowded and tv screens take forever to scroll to your flight details. The list goes on.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"avoid this dysfunctional airport"

Verified Review | If you value your time, avoid this dysfunctional airport. It's a new shiney building but that's the end of the modern facilities. Arrival at the immigration desk took 45 minutes in a line, as the finger print machines do not work properly. Driver booked to meet us could not come into arrivals as you have to pay 100 rupees, about USD1.50. Departure much worse, as you have to start lining up just to get into the departure terminal. The building was hot and airless, Air India line for check in another hour, and the exit line for immigration took almost another hour. Just shuffling along with a lot of hot and tired people at 2 am. It's difficult to understand how management of passengers can be so bad. Do the authorities want to discourage people from using this airport?
Date VisitDecember 2016

"managers need a reality check"

I always thought Delhi International Airport was one of the best but this thought was shattered on my recent visit. Firstly, the immigration during departure takes an eternity to get over and there is a serious lack of professionalism. Secondly, they claim to be the best airport in the world - I think they should send their managers to Singapore Changi to see what an airport should be like. Delhi lacks a good food court. The staff are quite rude, toilets are very dirty. Lastly, the WiFi - it doesn't connect and requires an Indian sim to get connected at all. This is simply pathetic. Overall, may be the airport managers need a reality check.

"immigration takes forever"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | Arrival was smooth and quick. Departure was a pain. Long line for security check before airport entrance. The guard takes forever to verify one passport. Immigration takes forever at 0100 hrs. Reaching the airport at midnight, using the Star Alliance gold check-in, at 0145, we're still stuck in the immigration line. Security check was awful. Unfriendly staff and you cannot attend to your belongings as the staff will chase you forward while your belongings are still stuck on the queue.

"departure was awful"

My wife and I arrived at Delhi airport in the early hours of the morning, eventually worked out you needed to be in the "E Visa" queues not the regular one. The usual non engaging immigration officer, once through that your passport is checked again within 10 steps of leaving the immigration officer. Not a terrible arrival but could be better. The departure was awful, we couldn't even get into the terminal as we didn't have our e-ticket (I don't have a phone) and hadn't printed it out as I'd checked in online. The security officer was rude and unhelpful other than to tell us to go to an entrance further down. We eventually were able to work out that we had to go to a desk inside the end entrance (it's blocked off from the rest of the terminal) the staff on the desk allowed me to access my e-mail and we then printed out our e-ticket and accessed the terminal. The food in the terminal was dire, what they passed off as "American breakfast" would be laughable if it weren't so expensive. The staff were so unhelpful. We managed to board and get out. It seemed you could only access the Wi-Fi with an Indian mobile phone number.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"avoid this airport as much as you can"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | Transiting in Delhi is just a disaster. Delhi Airport auto proclaims itself the best airport (of what?), this is just even more outrageous because they are far worst than any airports I have been to. I have flown over 300000 miles per year for the past 10 years. Avoid this airport as much as you can. Arriving from Bangkok I had to transit via New Delhi on my way to Milan for business. We had to walk 2 kilometres before arriving at the transit area, where security screening was in force, which is good, only if this was not a 1 hour process with rude and unaware staff. The whole airport is just shabby because of lack of care and toilets are dirty just because they aren't cleaning it up properly. Once inside the terminal of my connecting flight, bad luck, 5 hours delay. Nothing to do with the airport but spending 5 hours in that terminal showed me the worst of it. Again, all the staff: lounge, shops, restaurants are just so impolite, rude and useless. One of the lounge staff asked me to take on a survey to rate the lounge, which I did, once completed the guy came back to me and asked me to change few of the ratings and add up more positive comments. I have asked him if it was normal to force customers to write what they want and not what they have experienced. He left without a smile. The ground staff wanted to check my passport 2 hours before boarding, I have asked why? They failed to provide a valid reason except fainting to do something useful for so much delay, I simply refused and told them I would hand out my passport once the boarding would start. Everything is over priced, we're being ripped of at every purchase. Food is so poor, come on, we're in India, choice should be large, tastes amazing! Well, get ready to have only junk food. And the best is the wifi! Forget a 10 MB file to be sent - except if you have 5 hours to kill. Delhi airport, please stay humble, send your managers to Singapore, Hong-Kong, Bangkok, Shanghai, Melbourne, Haneda, Seoul, Amsterdam, Montreal etc and see by yourself what does a good airport mean. And please get rid of your auto proclaimed "best airport" award.