Top 100 Airlines

Delhi Airport

"staff gone from their desks"

We arrived 4 hours ahead of our International flight to London and we should have allowed 5 hours to get our boarding passes and get through security. I've never encountered such disregard for international travelers as they stood in lines for hours while the security staff slowly took their time processing people while people were missing their flights. At one point our line had all 4 of the staff gone from their desks and supervisors scratching their heads wondering where they went. No one moved for 15 minutes until they wandered back like they had no concerns at all. Several planes were late including ours because of this incompetence at this airport. One security guard asked my husband to take everything out of his carry-on after it had gone through the scanner and then left him standing there while he harassed some other "guests" and then motioned to pack it up without having taken a closer look for anything. What a waste of precious time as it was 2.30 am and our flight was scheduled to leave at 2.30 am. They held the plane while we ran. They seem to think they are doing "security" but it is a joke. Best step it up Delhi. Another example: We had arrived at the airport and walked through the front doors and sat and enjoyed a coffee near the doors. My husband went to go out for a smoke and was told he could not leave the airport, he asked why and the guard said "security". We hadn't even gone through any security yet. Avoid this airport.
Date VisitApril 2016

"clean and effecient"

Delhi is a wonderful airport. Clean and effecient. Buggy service is helpful for the elderly and disabled but the staff lack discipline - they hide themselves behind counter using their mobile phones and their standard reply is the buggy is not charged. Plaza Premium lounge at domestic terminal needs a review on food quality and cleanliness which could be improved.
Date VisitApril 2016

"airport is excellent"

We arrived at T3 from Lucknow on Air India flight. The airport is massive with a huge area. It is clean with adequate signs, clean restrooms and duty free shops. Overall, I would rate this airport as excellent for visitors from India and abroad.

"do they want visitors?"

The e tourist visa check-in is a joke, we were in the first line, what a mistake. When anyone with a child arrived they were pushed to the front of the line. It took over an hour to deal with 12 people. The fingerprint machines did not work, the officials kept leaving their desks, officials stood around, no extra staff were brought in to man the empty desks. They scanned passport information they already had, total waste of time. When we did get through the carousel had stopped and we had to search for our cases. As another reviewer said: do they want visitors?

"unsmiling and unhelpful"

What a depressing chaotic experience arriving at Delhi from London on 6 February was. The terminal is looking old and tired but the main problem was immigration. There were lots of people (mangers, supervisors?) standing around watching but they weren't doing anything to keep the queues moving. The signage and information about which queue to be in, if a customs or entry form was required etc was total chaos. The staff were unsmiling and unhelpful and seemed almost to enjoy catching people out for having joined the wrong queue or got the wrong piece of paper. After a 9 hour flight the whole experience was a nightmare and made me want to get straight back on a plane an return to London. Bureaucracy and "jobsworth" attitude at its worst. Does India actually want tourists to visit its country - judging by the welcome at Delhi airport immigration it seems not. The whole dispiriting experience took over 90 minutes.

"fantastic service"

We flew domestic from Amritsar to transit to International to return to Australia. It is a large but good airport. We had some trouble finding our way to International. We were spotted by an airport employee who approached us saying we looked like we needed help. He placed our bags in a trolley then walked the trolley and us to International to our check-in desk. He did not leave us until we were actually checked in. Fantastic service rarely encountered.

"nothing but horrible"

My experience of arrival as well as departure thru this airport was nothing but horrible. Firstly a very faulty design, passengers have to walk too far to reach anywhere. Staff were very rude to say the least. Our flight arrived at 2.45 am, only 13 out of 52 immigration counters were manned, meaning at least a two hour wait to pass this hurdle. No seperate counters for OCIs, even though it says so on their website. Immigration officers have to ask a million questions even though they are irrelevant. Next hurdle is the duty free area. Staff there are loud and rude as if they are doing us a favor by selling us something. We had a hotel pick up vehicle which was parked in the parking. Apart from the above, the tarmac was dark and dingy and so was the immigration hall. What I don't understand is when they all know the maximum international flights arrive at night, why only 13 out of 52 counters were manned. The same story on the way out. Very few immigration officers available to clear too many passengers. We were in the line for over an hour and a half. We were very happy to get out and vowed never to return to India thru this airport.

Delhi Airport customer review

I really needed to use WiFi at Delhi airport and I did not have a phone or an Indian mobile number to get a passcode. On the upside the metro train connection into Delhi is great and modern but there should be easier and reliable methods of getting a ticket for it. The machines both ways were not able to take my money so I was hanging around trying to find someone to serve me.

"good connecting facilities"

Very quick check-out for domestic travellers and quick luggage delivery. Very good connecting facilities from the airport. The time taken from the plane to the exit gate is less than 6 mins (with check-in baggage). Complete automated facilities.
Date VisitFebruary 2016

"very happy with the process"

(Malaysia)

I must admit I was not looking forward to returning to Delhi, especially having to use any of its airports. On arrival I have to say I was very happy with the process, fast, efficient through passport control and baggage reclaim. I had a driver meeting me which helps you avoid some of the chaos when you leave the terminal, but even that was not as bad as I remember. On departure all nice and easy through check in, security and passport control a good choice of shops and eateries once you enter the main terminal. The independent airline lounges are a bit poor and to be honest not really worthwhile using unless you have a long wait. My only confusion was at the boarding gate a security guard noticed my security tag from my hand luggage had gone missing, so he made me stand to one side for 15 minutes while everyone else boarded, I honestly thought I would be refused boarding, then he waved me onto the aircraft, no idea why that was, just another one of life's mysteries.
Date VisitJanuary 2016