Dar Es Salaam Airport

Dar Es Salaam Airport customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

I may be expecting a little too much but I found this airport to be really poor. We arrived about 4 hours prior to our flight as we were connecting to a different flight through Dar and had to retrieve our baggage in between flights. We started queuing to check-in about 3 hours before our flight, and we only had about 30 mins to spare beyond security before boarding by the time we had checked in and got through security. All just incredibly slow. Incidentally, if we had checked in online it would have been no quicker as the check-in and baggage drop queue were one and the same. Admittedly, some of this may have been the fault of the airline (Qatar). The baggage handling system was none existent. Literally. Our bags weren't loaded onto our plane. The route from check-in to passport control to security just takes way too long. There is nowhere pre security for drinks or anything to eat, and there isn't much more beyond security. The only place to eat is pretty poor and overpriced. The whole airport looked incredibly dated and in need of refurbishment. Its a shame because Tanzania is a fantastic country and the main access/egress point is poor.
Date Visit17-08-2015

Dar Es Salaam Airport customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

I have to say my second arrival in Dar was much better than the first. First time arrived amid a plague of flying cockroach-like insects that were all attracted to the light inside the terminal. Spent ages swatting them in a huge line for immigration that took over an hour only to then be told I needed a "special" permit and had to pay 200 USD (I already had a business visa). Not wanting to argue I joined the next disorganised line paid my 200 USD and waited another 30 minutes to get my passport back. Notable that everyone in the "special" line was Caucasian. Second time all desks open for immigration friendly hello from the official and a quick stamp and on my way. No "special" permit needed this time for some reason. Bags came out quickly and was out of the airport within 10 minutes of landing. Let's hope that the new terminal will be finished on time and that there will be no more "special" line.

Review by (Ghana)

I came in on a KQ (Kenya Air) flight from Ghana and immigration was a breeze. Immigration officials were pleasant and fast. I didn't have check in bags but as I waited for my colleague who did need a visa I could see that the bags arrival was quite orderly. Outside had the usual cab drivers trying to make a living by offering you a ride - is that such a big deal? I will add another review after I leave today - but we were able to check in online nicely!
Airport Shopping N/A

Review by (Lebanon)

This is the worst airport I've been to. Very unpleasant staff. They don't understand French in customs so they couldn't figure out my passport's expiration date. Very chaotic and disorganised especially during check-in.

Review by (Australia)

Chaotic check in very slow immigration. Sub standard business lounge. Allow a lot more time to get through the process than you would take at a normal airport.

Review by (Sweden)

Very poor airport. Very long waiting time to come into terminal building. Hot temperature outside and even inside. Not very clean airport. Staff very inexperienced.

Review by (Netherlands)

Terminal feels like it was built in the 1960s and is stuck in a time warp. Very small and a bit cramped with some (expensive) shops airside and some cafeterias. Dimly lit inside and air conditioning is not optimal so on hot days it can get quite uncomfortable. Waiting area is alright but not comfortable. No WiFi in the airport; not even in the lounge. Staff at check-in can be surly and waiting times at security and check-in ridiculously long with everything done manually. Immigration and visa staff actually nice and fairly efficient; no complaints there.

Review by (Tanzania)

The service quality from security guards and the staff is probably the worst you can possibly get. The waiting area is uncomfortable not enough seating with awful toilets. All in all a lousy airport.

Dar Es Salaam Airport customer review

Review by (United States)

Another horrible airport. We arrived on a South African Airways flight from Johannesburg in the afternoon. We were funnelled into immigration and customs area which has no air conditioning in this hot and humid city. Foreigners gathered around the glass booths where officials came out took your passport and visa payment then disappeared inside. The process took about an hour meanwhile our luggage had been taken off the conveyer belt and put aside unguarded in a hallway. When you exit the terminal you are hounded by taxi drivers asking outrageous prices. When we arrived to fly out our Precision Air flight had broken down in Zanzibar and was delayed. However they gave few details on when it was expected to resume. It was a very uncaring attitude by the check-in staff. We were delayed 3 hours and were caught off guard by the sudden (and muffled) announcement that it was now boarding. The departure lounge has some stores but they are limited. The airport is small with few facilities.

Review by (South Korea)

'Simplicity' is the word to describe Dar es Salaam International Airport. The terminal itself is very basic and rudimentary. But it does have most facilities that an international airport needs. There are 'duty free shops' that sell souvenirs T-shirts electric's and cosmetics. There are restaurants that sell 'western' cuisine and soft drinks but they are overpriced. Toilets were ok not clean but not too unhygienic. Ground service was rather slow but immigration process was swift both in and out. But the airport is a bit disorganized. No A/C before the security but there is after. Don't expect wi-fi service.