Dar Es Salaam Airport

Review by (United Kingdom) 5th June 2014

I have to say my second arrival in Dar was much better than the first. First time arrived amid a plague of flying cockroach-like insects that were all attracted to the light inside the terminal. Spent ages swatting them in a huge line for immigration that took over an hour only to then be told I needed a "special" permit and had to pay 200 USD (I already had a business visa). Not wanting to argue I joined the next disorganised line paid my 200 USD and waited another 30 minutes to get my passport back. Notable that everyone in the "special" line was Caucasian. Second time all desks open for immigration friendly hello from the official and a quick stamp and on my way. No "special" permit needed this time for some reason. Bags came out quickly and was out of the airport within 10 minutes of landing. Let's hope that the new terminal will be finished on time and that there will be no more "special" line.

Review by (Ghana) 20th December 2013

I came in on a KQ (Kenya Air) flight from Ghana and immigration was a breeze. Immigration officials were pleasant and fast. I didn't have check in bags but as I waited for my colleague who did need a visa I could see that the bags arrival was quite orderly. Outside had the usual cab drivers trying to make a living by offering you a ride - is that such a big deal? I will add another review after I leave today - but we were able to check in online nicely!
Facilities N/A

Review by (Lebanon) 7th October 2013

This is the worst airport I've been to. Very unpleasant staff. They don't understand French in customs so they couldn't figure out my passport's expiration date. Very chaotic and disorganised especially during check-in.

Review by (Australia) 25th February 2013

Chaotic check in very slow immigration. Sub standard business lounge. Allow a lot more time to get through the process than you would take at a normal airport.

Review by (Sweden) 29th November 2012

Very poor airport. Very long waiting time to come into terminal building. Hot temperature outside and even inside. Not very clean airport. Staff very inexperienced.

Review by (Netherlands) 11th April 2012

Terminal feels like it was built in the 1960s and is stuck in a time warp. Very small and a bit cramped with some (expensive) shops airside and some cafeterias. Dimly lit inside and air conditioning is not optimal so on hot days it can get quite uncomfortable. Waiting area is alright but not comfortable. No WiFi in the airport; not even in the lounge. Staff at check-in can be surly and waiting times at security and check-in ridiculously long with everything done manually. Immigration and visa staff actually nice and fairly efficient; no complaints there.

Review by (Tanzania) 21st December 2011

The service quality from security guards and the staff is probably the worst you can possibly get. The waiting area is uncomfortable not enough seating with awful toilets. All in all a lousy airport.

Review by (United States) 20th December 2011

Another horrible airport. We arrived on a South African Airways flight from Johannesburg in the afternoon. We were funnelled into immigration and customs area which has no air conditioning in this hot and humid city. Foreigners gathered around the glass booths where officials came out took your passport and visa payment then disappeared inside. The process took about an hour meanwhile our luggage had been taken off the conveyer belt and put aside unguarded in a hallway. When you exit the terminal you are hounded by taxi drivers asking outrageous prices. When we arrived to fly out our Precision Air flight had broken down in Zanzibar and was delayed. However they gave few details on when it was expected to resume. It was a very uncaring attitude by the check-in staff. We were delayed 3 hours and were caught off guard by the sudden (and muffled) announcement that it was now boarding. The departure lounge has some stores but they are limited. The airport is small with few facilities.

Review by (South Korea) 21st July 2011

'Simplicity' is the word to describe Dar es Salaam International Airport. The terminal itself is very basic and rudimentary. But it does have most facilities that an international airport needs. There are 'duty free shops' that sell souvenirs T-shirts electric's and cosmetics. There are restaurants that sell 'western' cuisine and soft drinks but they are overpriced. Toilets were ok not clean but not too unhygienic. Ground service was rather slow but immigration process was swift both in and out. But the airport is a bit disorganized. No A/C before the security but there is after. Don't expect wi-fi service.

Review by (Kenya) 10th May 2011

I travelled to Dar for the weekend in April and found the airport much smaller that I expected. Nevertheless it is fairly clean and design allows for natural airflows - important in Dar. Arrival relatively painless although the baggage conveyor belt doesn't work so instead there are airport officials asking which flight you were in and directing you to the bags. Departure was a different thing altogether. I needed to purchase a ticket but lo and behold there wasn't a single ticketing office (airline offices and agents included) that accepted any kind of cards whatsoever. So the trick is to withdraw cash at ATM. There are three ATMs and everyone at the airport was quite sure they don't work. I approached all 3 to confirm for myself but was waved away by staff and security as well as shop attendants who were quite sure they do not work. Mercifully a taxi man offered to take me to the nearest one that may be working outside the airport for free - an offer I accepted. Having bought the ticket I chose to sit at the airport - there is sitting outside the building in a kind of pavilion which is good for the heat but the seats are hard. There was no wifi so I elected to visit the only cyber cafe at the airport which had ok speeds but charged in blocks of half an hour. As I was sending emails and waiting for replies I found that method rather inconvenient. There is only one restaurant at the top with fairly good meals which I sampled whist still waiting for the flight. After checking in I proceeded to the gate I was shown waiting to board. When the boarding call was made I proceeded towards the gate but the airport staff denied be entry via that gate suggesting it was for a different flight. I was referred to other staff who referred me to the same gate and told me to wait there. We did this back and forth for a while - with me showing ticket indicating I was at the correct gate. In the end the same staff started announcing my name for final boarding call. I told them I was the one and they seemed surprised. Fortunately airline staff happened by and intervened allowing me to gain entry via the exact same gate. I raised the matter with the airline staff who didn't seem surprised at all by the escapade. I almost missed the flight over something so simple. I felt the airport staff should have been a bit more attentive and methodical in their handling of the situation.