Dar Es Salaam Airport

"do not expect anything to change for some while"

Verified Review | Unlike an earlier reviewer, my arrival experience was much easier. I had obtained a visa before I left London and hence had not got that issue to deal with on arrival. It was a short walk across an airbridge into the small old airport. Then down some stairs into a rather cramped area where visas where purchased on the right and forms filled in on the left. We did not know we had to fill in a landing card which asked for almost the same information we had given on our visa application. We were fingerprinted, photographed, asked questions for which the answer was already on the form, passports stamped and through to baggage in minutes. Our flight was virtually empty but I would imagine that on a full flight it could be a different experience. Our bags were in the hall and for the first time ever, someone checked my tags against the bags I said were mine. Another X-Ray and then outside. There was the usual melee of taxi touts etc awaiting everyone. I have heard of ridiculous prices being charged ($40 US for a return trip to the nearest ATM because the airport ATM was not working) but luckily this did not apply to us because we were transferring to another part of the airport. This is an old undeveloped airport and it looked as if there was little work taking place on the almost completed new airport so do not expect anything to change for some while. I have been to far worse airports and this was not as bad an experience as I had prepared myself for.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"the worst experience I have ever encountered"

(Kenya)

Verified Review | I have used this airport regularly for around 5 years. The airport gives incoming travellers the worst experience I have ever encountered, and that's saying something. For a country which relies heavily on tourism it is a national disgrace to welcome tourists in the way they do. There are plenty of other reviews here detailing the dreadful immigration process etc and the dilapidation of the facilities. Once you are through that you have to deal with the 'official taxi' mafia who produce a 'menu' of charges which is ridiculously expensive. Uber works well in Dar generally, but if you use them at the airport you need to meet your Uber at the fuel station at the airport exit. The 'official taxi' mafia will throw stones at the Uber cars if they come inside the airport! Enough said! For the sake of Tanzania I hope they get the new terminal up and running as soon as possible and implement entirely new systems with thoroughly trained staff.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

Dar Es Salaam Airport customer review

I may be expecting a little too much but I found this airport to be really poor. We arrived about 4 hours prior to our flight as we were connecting to a different flight through Dar and had to retrieve our baggage in between flights. We started queuing to check-in about 3 hours before our flight, and we only had about 30 mins to spare beyond security before boarding by the time we had checked in and got through security. All just incredibly slow. Incidentally, if we had checked in online it would have been no quicker as the check-in and baggage drop queue were one and the same. Admittedly, some of this may have been the fault of the airline (Qatar). The baggage handling system was none existent. Literally. Our bags weren't loaded onto our plane. The route from check-in to passport control to security just takes way too long. There is nowhere pre security for drinks or anything to eat, and there isn't much more beyond security. The only place to eat is pretty poor and overpriced. The whole airport looked incredibly dated and in need of refurbishment. Its a shame because Tanzania is a fantastic country and the main access/egress point is poor.
Date VisitAugust 2015

Dar Es Salaam Airport customer review

I have to say my second arrival in Dar was much better than the first. First time arrived amid a plague of flying cockroach-like insects that were all attracted to the light inside the terminal. Spent ages swatting them in a huge line for immigration that took over an hour only to then be told I needed a "special" permit and had to pay 200 USD (I already had a business visa). Not wanting to argue I joined the next disorganised line paid my 200 USD and waited another 30 minutes to get my passport back. Notable that everyone in the "special" line was Caucasian. Second time all desks open for immigration friendly hello from the official and a quick stamp and on my way. No "special" permit needed this time for some reason. Bags came out quickly and was out of the airport within 10 minutes of landing. Let's hope that the new terminal will be finished on time and that there will be no more "special" line.

(Ghana)

I came in on a KQ (Kenya Air) flight from Ghana and immigration was a breeze. Immigration officials were pleasant and fast. I didn't have check in bags but as I waited for my colleague who did need a visa I could see that the bags arrival was quite orderly. Outside had the usual cab drivers trying to make a living by offering you a ride - is that such a big deal? I will add another review after I leave today - but we were able to check in online nicely!
Airport Shopping N/A

(Lebanon)

This is the worst airport I've been to. Very unpleasant staff. They don't understand French in customs so they couldn't figure out my passport's expiration date. Very chaotic and disorganised especially during check-in.

Dar Es Salaam Airport customer review

Chaotic check in very slow immigration. Sub standard business lounge. Allow a lot more time to get through the process than you would take at a normal airport.

(Sweden)

Very poor airport. Very long waiting time to come into terminal building. Hot temperature outside and even inside. Not very clean airport. Staff very inexperienced.

Dar Es Salaam Airport customer review

Terminal feels like it was built in the 1960s and is stuck in a time warp. Very small and a bit cramped with some (expensive) shops airside and some cafeterias. Dimly lit inside and air conditioning is not optimal so on hot days it can get quite uncomfortable. Waiting area is alright but not comfortable. No WiFi in the airport; not even in the lounge. Staff at check-in can be surly and waiting times at security and check-in ridiculously long with everything done manually. Immigration and visa staff actually nice and fairly efficient; no complaints there.

(Tanzania)

The service quality from security guards and the staff is probably the worst you can possibly get. The waiting area is uncomfortable not enough seating with awful toilets. All in all a lousy airport.