Airline of the Year

Dallas Fort-Worth Airport

"the employees are not friendly"

Verified Review | What a ridiculous experience. Generally, DFW is ok as far as airports go. The construction can make things difficult, but I appreciate their attempts to stay up to date. It's sheer size can make navigating difficult, but it's one of the largest airports in the US, so that is to be expected. Here's my biggest consistent problem with DFW: the employees are not friendly. Many of them are downright rude. Sure, there are a few random friendly faces, but vast majority of people you interact with act like you're stupid and like they have about 50 other things they could be doing instead of helping you. This is such a huge disappointment to me as a Texan because we are known for our friendly, welcoming demeanor. I hate to think that those mannerless jerks are the first impression people traveling in from other states or countries experience. I have never been spoken to by a stranger they way those people speak to you, it's disgraceful. Every single one of them ought to be ashamed of themselves and ought to have their hides tanned by their parents, since that clearly wasn't done enough in their childhood. Manners matter people! Today, however, was a nightmare. We flew back to DFW after a vacation in Mexico. We were told our baggage would come out at carousel 5. We waited for nearly 45 minutes before a fellow passenger - not employee - noticed bags coming out 3 terminals away. No announcement was made over the loudspeakers that are everywhere, no information was shown on the screens in the baggage claim area, they just let us sit there and watch an empty carousel. There were also 2 other flights that came in behind us and got their luggage first. That was the first thing that frustrated me to death. Then, just before a handful more flights got in, they decided to close half of the immigration stands. It took us an hour and a half to get our bags and get through immigration. We are American citizens traveling back to our home country, there is no reason it should have taken that long. Shame on you, DFW. You have disappointed me too many times for me to finally not say something for others to see.
Date VisitMay 2017

"quite dull and needs a bit of renovation"

(Pakistan)

The check in area was quite dull and needs a bit of renovation. However the waiting area was pleasant enough. Quite a number of shops and restaurants to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters. I have been to the arrivals once and the arrivals lounge was horrible. No air conditioning despite it being the middle of July and our luggage arrived on a belt other than the one communicated to us by the airline.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"experience absolutely terrible"

Verified Review | My daughter and I traveled from London Heathrow to Dallas Fort Worth for a connecting flight to Phoenix Sky Harbor. The experience at this airport was absolutely terrible. Our flight from London to start arrived 26 min late. We were informed by the crew that passengers with connecting flights leaving within 2 hours to grab a "orange tag" upon leaving plane so that we could be expedited through customs and baggage recheck. Also we were told to quickly get to customs since another large flight was landing as well. There were no orange tags for us to grab. When we arrived to customs section, it was complete chaos. I asked 2 employees where we were to go and that we were supposed to be supplied these orange tags to expedite us to our connecting flight which was leaving in less than an hour and 15 min. We had to wait in a long and spiraling line. In the middle of this, a border control agent announces that we could get through customs if we signed in through our mobile phones. By the time my daughter got to the "questions" portion, we were already at automated customs check. Then we had to wait at baggage carousel for a lengthy amount of time. Once retrieved, we had to go into another extremely long and spiraling line for connecting flights and bag recheck. Again I told an employee that our flight was leaving in less than an hour and about the "orange expedite tag." And again told to wait in long line. When we got further in, I spoke to another employee, told her "our story" again, she immediately sent us to another line which, I believe Global Entry. She specifically sent us to the shorter of these 2 lines. Once up to that desk, the person proceeded to argue with us that we should have been in the other line next to it. We told him we were sent to it by the other employee. He was so rude, nasty, and did not listen to anything that we said. And on top of that, he marked our tickets with an A, for agriculture. We didn't have any kind of food in our luggage and told him that, so because of that "mark" we had to go to another line to get our luggage scanned. By the time we got through that line, with again telling employees "our story" and that our tickets shouldn't have been marked for agriculture since we had no food, we had less than 20 min to make our flight and our luggage was still not collected. After finally dropping our luggage off , we had to take a skyline to the other end of the airport. We finally made it to our gate at exactly our departure time, in which the employee told us that we had just made it and to hurry onto flight. We will never choose to fly into this airport again. Obviously a lot more employees and well-trained at that, are needed at each of the sections and a better system needs to be in place.
Date VisitApril 2017

"great experience today"

Verified Review | I had a great experience at Dallas Fort-Worth today. Easily made it through TSA, and had no problems finding my gate. I wish I would not have chosen American Airlines. They ran an hour late due to some type of problem. That was no fault of DFW. The airport was great.
Date VisitApril 2017

"lines were huge"

I had a transit from Mexico to NYC in Dallas Fort-Worth. The flights were already quite tight but not dramatically. I was a little stressed out because the lines were huge. I found all the ground staff extremely rude. They were grumpy and ignoring you if you asked for information politely. I fly a lot because of my job and I never had such a bad experience before. I hope I won't have a transit any time soon on this airport.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"frustrating and chaotic"

I have just arrived for the second time from Mexico, and once again found the international arrivals experience both frustrating and chaotic. The initial immigration clearance (using kiosks) was fine. I have Global Entry and it was no problem. The problem begins after you retrieve your bag. Signage in the baggage claim area is completely lacking. There is only one sign indicating the exit for the customs line. You will have to look for it. More amazingly, there is no signage directing travelers to the Global Entry expedited line. It is at the far end, and nobody appears to know about it. It is empty, and the person manning it wasn't even at their post, rather was busy talking to a colleague several feet away. I had to ask a TSA representative where it was. They were aloof, disinterested and told me to ask someone near baggage carousel 6 and 7. After clearing customs, the baggage re-check was easy enough. But the security lines to re-enter the terminals for your connecting flight was miserable. The pre-check line is not apparent. Again, nobody offers help. The stanchions/roping are not adjusted to even out the two lines. No bins. Everyone piles their possessions onto the belt which all come out the other end in a bunched up pile before you get through the X-ray. One woman lost her purse and a cellphone was laying there unclaimed! Once through the whole ordeal, I took the Skytrain to Terminal C for my connecting flight which I found to be woefully outdated, crowded and lacking in services. It is a complete food desert. The restaurants they do have on offer (standard fast food) all lack seating. All in all, DFW is not a pleasant experience. I will avoid it in the future, at least for international arrivals.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"it was sheer chaos"

Verified Review | Will avoid DFW at all costs for future travel. This was a shocking experience for transit between international and domestic AA flights. With 1.5hrs between arrival and departure, we arrived on time and felt comfortable. We'd been informed new immigration procedures were in place but the on board arrivals video was not that clear and it only got worse on disembarking. Eventually we figured we could go through the automated passport channel which required us to scan our passport and green card and then collect print out. I was referred for 2nd inspection which didn't take much time although on entering the baggage claim area, it was sheer chaos. After collecting our bags the queue to get through a 2nd immigration channel snaked through the whole of half of the baggage reclaim area, moving at snails pace, causing many travellers, including ourselves much stress, and no options for fast track even with tight connection times. Lines were not clearly signed and caused uncertainty for travellers. Abrasive and officious CBP Officer did little for the "welcome to the USA" experience. Next challenge - rechecking bag for domestic leg. Bags everywhere, with 3 people trying their best to put bags on the conveyor. Pushed ours to the front in order to ensure they had some chance of making the now very tight connection. And then of course the next security check which again was plagued by queues and confusion over a new policy that means there are no bins to put things in to and no requirements to take out PC etc. and take off belt and shoes. This wasn't explained at the approach. A quick sprint for our family of 5 meant we made the gate with 5 mins to spare before doors closed. The DFW transit took a ridiculous and extremely stressful 1hr 15mins.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"almost every time we walked less than 5 minutes"

Have used the airport several times during July to October 2016 on both within US and international flights. Have always been surprised and amazed that the actual walking within the airport after getting out of the taxi cab is so small! Almost every time we walked less than 5 minutes to the check in counter or the departure gates. I think this has something to do with the layout of the airport - so the car can drop you so close to your check in counter / boarding gate. Same on arrival - very easy. Could not care much about other things like shopping etc.
Date VisitOctober 2016

"poor and disorganised service"

Arrived at Dallas DFW at 4pm from Mexico City (where we had great service). As we exited the plane, no staff were visible to direct passengers. Many people were confused, and the few staff that were visible were rude and unhelpful. Despite having an international connection, we had to line up and exit through customs and immigration, and then re-enter yet another security line to re-enter the terminal to get to our connecting flight. This took us 2 hours. I have travelled through many airports, most bigger and busier than Dallas, and I have never experienced such poor and disorganised service. Many passengers, including flight attendants and pilots, were just as confused and angry at the lack of help from ground crew. I hope I never have to pass through this airport again.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"management at DFW is doing a very poor job"

Verified Review | As an American who has lived and worked abroad for the past 13 years and has traveled through major hubs all over the world, I had one of my worst experiences to date at DFW when flying from Puerto Vallarta to Charlotte, arriving January 11, 2017 around 5.00 pm. I was stuck along with thousands of other passengers in immigration and customs for 2 hours and would have missed my connecting flight had it not been delayed by 40 minutes. American Airlines claims their reservation system safely factors clearance times into their scheduling. This is not true as I and many others found out. There were many passengers around me who were told that they had already missed their connecting flights when they rechecked their bags following customs clearance. There were no airport employees visible in the baggage claim area to direct the multitudes and there were many immigration stations and TSA security lanes that were closed at what appears to have been the busiest period of the day. I ran into one AA flight attendant in the crowd who was just as bewildered as the wandering masses! The capacity is available, but employees need to be hired and scheduled for peak times. From my experience, management at DFW is doing a very poor job. I have already cancelled future flights I had booked through the international terminal at DFW.
Date VisitJanuary 2017