Dalaman Airport

"now it’s even worse"

Not Verified | All that work and now it’s even worse! Before it was hugely over priced with no comfortable seating. Now it’s overpriced but a bit more affordable if all you like is junk food. The only seating, if you didn’t want to pay £3 for a little bottle of orange juice at a cafe with decent seating, are filthy fast food round tables with hard seats or the old wooden slatted seating they had before, not even an upstairs to get away from the chaos. Empty fast food boxes on every surface, toilets filthy and no-where to sit comfortably for 3.5 hours at 1am. It’s definitely all about channelling people through shops and food outlets now. Bit gutted really, the worst part of our holiday as usual.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"a huge improvement"

Trip Verified | After hearing some worrying comments I was a little apprehensive about using the new Terminal 2 at DLM, however it seems that those are mostly directed at "bulk holiday airlines" and them not arranging or being unwilling to stump up for enough staff from Havas. Therefore this is based our experience on Easyjet, both arrival and departure were middle of the day. Arrival - landed 15 minutes early walked 2 minutes from the airbridge to passport control, walked 2 minutes to reclaim, waited 10 minutes, got bags, walked 2 minutes to the front of the terminal, realised it was at least 10 degrees hotter outside, met our driver and got in the minibus. Total time from chocks to Merhaba = 30 minutes. Departure : arrived 2.5 hours before std joined a small queue for 4 check in desks as advised by the lady greeting you, exactly 2 hours before std all 4 desks opened along with a 5th for speedy boarding and special assistance (handy as we had both in our party) A wheelchair arrived quickly and we were fast tracked through passport control and security (not very long queues though) and into duty free. As always DLM duty free is expensive, and if it's just cigs, vodka or gin you want then get it on the plane (if available). Into the departure lounge anf you're spoilt for choice Subway, KFC, Maccys, BK, Popeyes, kebabs all averaging about 38 lira for a meal, i'll confess to not having used the Havas operated snack and drink shops as they have been historically extortionate. There is a large central smoking area, essentially an outside space, newly planted and enclosed with glass walls, which is a massive improvement on the old terminals smelly corridor. There is still enhanced security for hand luggage and electricals, but it was of a random sample and efficient, fast and friendly. Boarding was also well organised including speedy boarding and SA passengers. Overall, a huge improvement on the old building.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"Still not enough staff"

Not Verified | Really am unclear as to the point of the new airport. The old one was fine and at least you knew what to expect. It looks almost identical just bigger. Still not enough staff at all points from entering airport to getting on the plane. Very hot as suspect utilities are now larger at airport bigger. Sensors on luggage belts cause major delays in getting luggage as it seems that as passport control is so slow, those at the back of the queue are not there to collect their luggage and so it goes round and round with very little luggage coming off. I couldn’t find the ramp to wheel suitcase out of airport and had to carry down steps. Meet and greet confusing Re transfers. Only nice people in the whole debacle were in duty free. I travel at least 12/year to Dalaman so whole thing very wearing.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"worst airport I’ve ever been in"

Not Verified | The worst airport I’ve ever been in. On departure they security check you confiscating all water and liquids. Then I was directed to Thomas Cook check in where there was 4 check in tables for 6 departing flights in a 1 hour 30 minute time slot. The airport is medieval there was no AC, queues were unbelievable and staff were so slow people were late for flights as gates closed. People were sick due to the heat and standing for so long in such a congested and crowded space. Thomas Cook and Dalaman Airport must hold responsibility for this. The Thomas Cook English staff stood around like statues uninterested and ignorant and why can’t they put more desks on. After that there was another security check still no AC where there was another massive line The only time I didn’t feel ill was when I got back to the UK.

"very unpleasant experience"

Not Verified | Staff ignorant, rude and unhelpful. Passport control extremely rude. Check in extremely slow. Very unpleasant experience. All prices are a rip off especially the KFC in departures, they were unorganised and flustered getting all orders wrong. Choice of food rubbish. Why don't people wake up and lower prices? The demand will increase making more profit, which may then pay for customer service courses for the rest of the airport staff. Their incompetence then leads to people getting stressed and angry which is the worst thing you need when tired and just wanting to get home. It's a pity you have to fly to Dalaman to go to the lovely holiday resorts in that area no wonder tourism is down 50% when the holiday companies are doing their best to increase visitors. It's a shame the Turkish Tourism do not want to work in partnership to make it work.

"mismanaged, terrible airport"

Not Verified | The worst airport I have ever been through. Ugly, hot, not enough check in desks, 400 passengers checking in via only 2 slow check in desks, 3 sets of useless security checks, 3 departures all delayed by lack of departure gates and busses to aircraft, overpriced greed on food outlets, my carry on luggage checked pre boarding, lines of 200 plus all red hot and angry! A poorly built, mismanaged, poor A/C, terrible airport. It will stop us returning.
Date VisitJune 2018

"will be using it again"

Trip Verified | I have been travelling through Dalaman Airport for the last 15 yrs and will be using it again in Sep. 2018 so am very familiar with the chaos that can exist. It has always been expensive even 15 yrs ago. Some may not be aware but the airport doubles as a military establishment with the adjacent Military base. At one stage you were not allowed to stay in the airport if your flight was cancelled and had to book into the local hotels. I am not sure whether or not the facility is currently privately run or government controlled and the costs go towards the current redevelopment of the airport. I would certainly suggest in terms of snacks and to avoid the outrageous prices at Dalaman that anyone particularly with children allow for snacks in their hand luggage. Most resorts will have a coffee shop or somewhere that provides an airport pack which usually usually consists of a sandwich, packet of crisps and although you will not be able to take it through security a drink, and most will deliver it to your hotel on the morning of your departure or whenever suits.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"Not a pleasant experience"

Not Verified | Not a pleasant experience. 3 lots of security checks. Luggage scales clearly not calibrated. Weighed suitcase in hotel with hand scale and hotel provided floor standing scale. Both confirmed weight at just around 20KG - Dalaman Airport scale reads 21kg. No mercy shown by ground staff even though we only had 2 items of hand luggage. Food court with absolute ripoff prices. Fast food meals dearer then Gatwick airport. Also, escalators only go in one direction at each end of the food court. So, once you go up, you have to walk right to the other end - once you check out the shocking prices and decide to go back downstairs again.
Date VisitApril 2018

"makes me reluctant to return to Turkey"

Unverified | Absolutely terrible! I foolishly hoped Dalaman Airport would have improved in the two years since my last visit. The security was lax. We were patted and swabbed in a somewhat casual manner. The worst thing was the prices. I travel a lot and I suspect Dalaman is more expensive than Dubai. The canned and soft drinks are more expensive than on the plane. The experience at this airport makes me reluctant to return to Turkey. Surely, tourists are essential to the Turkish economy. We were told tourism has fallen dramatically. The prices at Dalaman may just make a few more of us reluctant to return to Turkey as being blatantly ripped off really hurts. It isn't that we can't afford the prices, it's that we feel stung by the greed at the airport.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"the staff were unfriendly, rude, unhelpful"

Unverified | Where to start? Well they've gone so overboard with the security which would be good except they don't actually check you! I had the briefest pat-down which wouldn't have found them anything, and since they were blabbing away to their colleagues the whole time they clearly weren't paying any attention whatsoever. Doesn't fill me with confidence. At security as well there are no signs of any use about what to do, and with one of the guards at the other side of the gate just shouting at us to hurry up you'd think they'd want to give more information about what they want in trays etc. Someone "searched" my handbag, then dropped it back on the conveyor even though I was standing right there, letting everything fall out. Again, barely a search anyway. The food and drink options are outrageously priced. We ate at KFC (staff were useless there as well) and paid 38TL per meal. All well and good (we were hungry enough to not care) but the quality was awful. I wasn't expecting fine dining at an airport KFC but for those prices I expected a normal good standard KFC. No, this chicken was dry and horrible, the chips were vile, the drinks watered down so much as to be tasteless. The layout of the airport is very bad in my opinion. The wifi booths didn't work to scan the boarding passes to get online. We had yet another search at the boarding gate, where my bag was opened, searched, swabbed - all fine, I didn't mind! But the flight was boarding and she then walked off with everything bursting out of the bag and me unable to close it. Another passenger had to help me. Overall the staff were unfriendly, rude, unhelpful in every part of the airport. I was drying my hands in the toilet and a cleaner was mopping the floor, who stopped and glared at me until I was done. The next toilet I used another cleaner was walking out as I was going in and she hit me with a bin! She made no effort to let me through and just let the bin hit me instead of making room (there should have been room for two people in that doorway btw). To summarise - worst airport experience I've ever had, and I wouldn't use it again if I didn't have to.