Dalaman Airport

"makes me reluctant to return to Turkey"

Unverified | Absolutely terrible! I foolishly hoped Dalaman Airport would have improved in the two years since my last visit. The security was lax. We were patted and swabbed in a somewhat casual manner. The worst thing was the prices. I travel a lot and I suspect Dalaman is more expensive than Dubai. The canned and soft drinks are more expensive than on the plane. The experience at this airport makes me reluctant to return to Turkey. Surely, tourists are essential to the Turkish economy. We were told tourism has fallen dramatically. The prices at Dalaman may just make a few more of us reluctant to return to Turkey as being blatantly ripped off really hurts. It isn't that we can't afford the prices, it's that we feel stung by the greed at the airport.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"the staff were unfriendly, rude, unhelpful"

Unverified | Where to start? Well they've gone so overboard with the security which would be good except they don't actually check you! I had the briefest pat-down which wouldn't have found them anything, and since they were blabbing away to their colleagues the whole time they clearly weren't paying any attention whatsoever. Doesn't fill me with confidence. At security as well there are no signs of any use about what to do, and with one of the guards at the other side of the gate just shouting at us to hurry up you'd think they'd want to give more information about what they want in trays etc. Someone "searched" my handbag, then dropped it back on the conveyor even though I was standing right there, letting everything fall out. Again, barely a search anyway. The food and drink options are outrageously priced. We ate at KFC (staff were useless there as well) and paid 38TL per meal. All well and good (we were hungry enough to not care) but the quality was awful. I wasn't expecting fine dining at an airport KFC but for those prices I expected a normal good standard KFC. No, this chicken was dry and horrible, the chips were vile, the drinks watered down so much as to be tasteless. The layout of the airport is very bad in my opinion. The wifi booths didn't work to scan the boarding passes to get online. We had yet another search at the boarding gate, where my bag was opened, searched, swabbed - all fine, I didn't mind! But the flight was boarding and she then walked off with everything bursting out of the bag and me unable to close it. Another passenger had to help me. Overall the staff were unfriendly, rude, unhelpful in every part of the airport. I was drying my hands in the toilet and a cleaner was mopping the floor, who stopped and glared at me until I was done. The next toilet I used another cleaner was walking out as I was going in and she hit me with a bin! She made no effort to let me through and just let the bin hit me instead of making room (there should have been room for two people in that doorway btw). To summarise - worst airport experience I've ever had, and I wouldn't use it again if I didn't have to.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"prices are very high"

(Turkey)

Like all Turkish International terminals, prices are very high in Dalaman airport. A Tuna and sweetcorn sandwich in the departure lounge was 32Tl (about £7 GBP), KFC was also very expensive, but the biggest rip off of all was a pint of draught Efes beer at the unholy price of 45tl about £10 at todays rates. So be prepared.
Date VisitMay 2017

"rip off prices are still happening"

Verified Review | Just to make everyone aware that the food and drink rip off prices are still happening in Dalaman airport. The price lists are placed too high and with too small a font to read and it is only when you ask how much for a can of Efes, you are told it is 32TL! That is the same (fixed) price across the airport. It is possible to be waited on, sitting in the harbour of Kalkan with the same drink for 10TL. No wonder all the seats are empty in this airport. When will they realise that 1 or 2TL profit on a 10TL beer is better that no sales/profit on a 32TL beer. I really do feel sorry for the staff that have to convey these prices and rip off the Turkish tourists. I couldn't find any official web site to lodge this complaint/warning other than on here. These prices were as of 1st May, 2017. Also, after had to endure the amateur security as we entered the departure gate area and were swabbed down and searched, we reported an unattended bag in the area. We waited for it to be investigated and it was just left until the passenger who forget it came and took it some 20 minutes later, no official showed at all.
Date VisitMay 2017

"one of the most expensive airports"

Verified Review | There are 2 things about Dalaman Airport that badly let it down. Firstly something that has been mentioned here before, namely the cost of food and drink. I paid 27 TL for a small beer (the exchange rate at the time meant this was about £7.30). This makes it not only one of the most expensive airports but in fact one of the most expensive places in the world to drink (a beer at the Ritz in London is cheaper, and litre-per-litre it's cheaper to have a glass of champagne at the Eurotunnel terminal lounge). The second part is the way the security checks are organised (or possibly, not organised). I don't mind having my main luggage and my hand luggage go through 2 scanners, being searched twice and having my passport checked 3 times. What I do object to, is at the last moment (well whilst boarding, about 10 minutes before the flight is scheduled to take off) is then checking the passengers electronic items (phones included) and to be told that if you can't turn it on (say, the battery is dead) you can't take it with you. If this really is necessary (and I haven't seen it elsewhere) could they not tell you a little earlier? I will not be going back.
Date VisitOctober 2016

"a blatant rip off"

Verified Review | I know prices at airports are usually slightly higher. However, I was horrified yesterday when I was asked for 80TL (£20) for two beers. The prices weren't displayed anywhere that I could see before I ordered. I find this sort of over charging a blatant rip off. It shouldn't be allowed.
Date VisitOctober 2016

"duty free prices seem to creep up"

The airport is very nice and modern and has every facility you could wish for. The duty free prices seem to creep up a little every year and it's now cheaper to buy basic spirits from the plane. The biggest rip off is are the food and drink prices. £10 for a large Efes and £6 for a can of Coke. The authorities are going to kill off the tourist trade before long.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

Dalaman Airport customer review

You expect airports to be more expensive than normal but the Allsport pub at Dalaman is pushing it. A beer and a large glass of rose wine at 87 lira (£22/$29) is an absolute disgrace and I can guarantee I will never use that facility again.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"one of the most expensive airports"

Dalaman has to be one of the most expensive airports in the world. I was going to buy a can of coke and a small bottle of Fanta for my children but, after being asked for £12.50 I declined. The most ridiculous part is that in the duty free shop, there was a bottle of whisky on sale for £10. As our flight was delayed and we hadn't brought a packed lunch, I bought 2 small rolls from subway and a coffee, grand total £18. Having looked at the other options on offer, ie Burger King, KFC and McDonalds, I really do think this is the most expensive airport I have ever visited. I would love to know how the company that runs it justifies these charges. My advice would be, be prepared for a delay and take snacks with you.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"there is a lack of seating"

This is possibly the worst airport of any European country, trust me having worked in aviation I've seen a few. The staff are surly, the BA check-in staff are lazy, rude and lie to the passengers. Once through immigration it's like they ran out of money or forgot to buy lightbulbs. There is a lack of seating and the concessions are the biggest rip off. How do they justify £10 for a Big Mac meal. Even the concessions closer to the gates want £4 for a bottle of water or a coffee. I also find it quite surprising that for an airport in Turkey and their love of smoking there was no smoking area - this was really making passengers grumpy. As this was the end of the holiday it leaves a really sour taste as Turkey is struggling with tourism at the moment and this is the last memory visitors have of the destination, it would put a lot of people off from coming back to what is a lovely country. I would like to hope that that Turkish Tourism Authority can put pressure on this dreadful airport for them to improve.
Date VisitJuly 2016