Colombo Airport

"this airport is a dump"

Not Verified | For departure, you are advised to arrive three hours early to this airport. That seemed realistic based on the experience I had on arrival. The problem is that this airport is a dump. Dumps are to be expected in the developing world, even though a surprising number exceed first world standards! But this airport is made far worse by lazy, disheveled staff interested only in sitting or staring blankly, talking to their colleagues, or in scamming money from travelers. Don't ever expect anything like a smile or a thank you or a you're welcome or any kind of human response to you at all. It is as if they are trained to be miserable and unwelcoming. Seriously! So, what can you do for three hours? Nothing! You can't sit because there are no chairs. You can't eat because even if you wanted to pay the extortionate-level prices, the food is so unpalatable looking, and the eating areas so full of flies, that you risk spending the next ten hours sitting in or running to the airplane toilet. You can't walk around and there si absolutely nothing interesting to see. Forget about wifi. Bypass this airport if you can.
Date VisitApril 2018

"the worst organised airport"

Not Verified | I've arrived at this airport very often in the last 30 years and also departed. After many years nothing has improved at this airport. It is the worst organised airport I've ever seen with the worst staff. The staff are very rude and unpleasant, no hello, no thank you, no please! Completely unacceptable for tourists! At the check-in desk the staff don't look at your face. They talk to colleagues. They are completely unfocused and very slow. It takes 3 or 4 employees to do the check-in. The immigration, security and all the airport staff urgently need a course in how to deal with guests. I don't understand why the responsible bosses don't see this problem. It's really a shame for the whole of Sri Lanka. Short summary: All the airport staff are very rude and unhelpful, completely disinterested in their work and talk a lot with colleagues. Everything is completely disorganized at this airport!
Date VisitMay 2018

"were obviously in cahoots"

Not Verified | I came through Colombo airport as a lone female traveller. I was asked by the officer at immigration how long I was staying. I told him one day and he told me I needed a visa and sent me to the visa desk. Once there I was asked how long I was staying and asked to pay $40. They said they wanted it in cash. I felt a little uncomfortable as there was a huge sign behind saying we welcome credit cards. I said no, I would pay by card. They asked if I had any foreign cash currency. Dollars? Pounds? SL rupees? I said no I will be using my card. Then I paid and they put a 30 day visa in my passport. I went back through immigration to the same official and he looked at my visa and again asked how long I was staying and again if I was travelling alone without my husband. He then muttered something about my stay being one day and transit and I should give my phone number to him as he could give me visa advice for next time and he would Whatsap me. I felt a bit uncomfortable about this so gave him a wrong number. He made me wait whilst he checked the number and kept letting people through in front of me. Then he demanded again that I give the number. By that time I just wanted to get through and even after trying to explain that my phone wouldn't work here he didn't let me through until he could see that my number had registered for Whatsapp. (in hindsight I should have given my husband's number but I was tired and a little freaked out). He then let me on my way. Once I got to my hotel for that night he started messaging me. I ignored his messages but by then was quite nervous as he would know where my hotel was because of the landing card. I also had to travel through the next day back out of the same airport so I didn't block him but just ignored the messages. I googled the airport to see if there had been other such complaints and saw that because I was in the country for less than 48 hours I was entitled to a free transport visa. (I know I should have made myself aware of this before but) so basically should I have paid cash he would have stamped my passport with a free transport visa and pocketed the cash. I am thinking that the cop and the visa official were obviously in cahoots and do this all the time. Once I googled it I saw that others had paid cash and got a free transport visa.

"not enough seats"

Not Verified | This airport is no better or no worse than any other airport not in a developing country. Best to arrive 2 hours before departure as there is a security check when entering the airport, another security check at security and another security check on entering the flight departure lounge. This can take up to 1 hour. Not enough seats for passengers waiting for departure (same as most airports).

"It was a huge chaos"

Trip Verified | We have a flight from Colombo to Sharjah. There were too many unnecessary check ups by security guards, and honestly not a proper check up. They did a body check on me, but not on my girlfriend. Also there were no proper system to be in queue while getting boarding passes. It was a huge chaos. And then it is written on the ticket boarding time as 3.50am, but at 3.10am while we were doing shopping one employee came and started speaking loudly that the passengers for the Sharjah flight to come to the gate. We had come, as we thought the flight was to be earlier than expected. But no, it wasn't early, for some uncertain reason they brought us in early, with no washroom at the waiting area. We felt trapped. Also at immigration the officer was chatting on the phone while doing passport control, which was very unprofessional and not respectful at all. Overall, we enjoyed our trip in SriLanka but the farewell at the airport is 2/10.
Date VisitApril 2018

"Some of the signing is terrible"

Trip Verified | Travelled through this airport 6 times in the last 3 months and on the whole quite like it. The queues for immigration are reasonable both inward and outbound and the general environment is pleasant and cool. I didn't appreciate the multiple security checks, which I didn't feel were as thorough as at other airports. Surely one really good check is better than numerous (5?) cursory checks? It feels like a job creation scheme rather than a serious attempt at air safety. Some of the signing is terrible. Some entertainment can be had watching the numerous ladies fooled into going into the gents toilet by bad signage in the region of the departure gates. This apart it isn't a bad airport with pleasant staff.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"Poor announcements and notice boards"

Trip Verified | Arrived from Singapore in the middle of the day, the airport was very quiet but they only have a few airbridges and we had to get a bus to the terminal. Immigration was fast - the staff are indeed very gruff but also fast and they took less than a minute to process my ETA, not even needing to look at the printout. I couldn’t see any toilets before immigration but there were some near the baggage carousels - fairly clean but obviously had some drainage problems that a worker was struggling to fix. Actually, the whole airport was a bit hot and humid. Luggage took half an hour to arrive despite the airport being very quiet. There were lots of staff in the baggage hall (maybe some could have gone to help bring the bags from the plane) but they were not at all aggressive. Customs is easy in the green lane - they pick just a few people to x-ray bags, seemingly targeting young men. The outside hall has ATMs, money changers, phone company stalls and taxi booking stands. Some hotels have stands and can organise transport (which I used) but a lot of foreigners were using the airport taxi rank so that shouldn’t be too bad. There were touts but they weren’t very bad. Departure for a midday flight was also ok. Baggage screening on entry but the queue was short (lots of people standing around outside looking they were queueing though - pass them if you can, if they were a group and you get stuck behind them, it would be a long wait). Then a walk through a shopping hall (last chance to change money) then another strange baggage check before check-in then emigration was fast, then there’s another security check before the gate - it was all fairly fast but the whole layout is bad and confusing and the signage is very poor. The main departure hall is large and has a lot of shops. Food outlets were very expensive (noticeably more than other airports and they prefer USD) and the food looked awful but the places are ok for a coffee. Toilets were clean although sometimes overcrowded. Poor announcements and notice boards so make sure to get the right gate yourself. Looks like you can get free wifi from a desk but the queues were long and I had a SIM to use up.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"staff need a course in smiling"

Trip Verified | It is absurd that water that is bought at duty free cannot be taken on board a flight! There are so many check points which are completely un-necessary. The Immigration and Emigration staff need a course in smiling to visitors to this otherwise people friendly island.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"Disorganized and inconsistent"

Trip Verified | The worst organised airport I've ever seen with the worst of the worst staff. Disorganized and inconsistent security checks, rude, unpleasant staff who can't be bothered to say anything to you when you talk to them, let alone say please or thank you. Crazy approach to gate security. Badly signed and poor flight info (final call used far too early).
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"Very unorganized airport"

Not Verified | Very unorganized airport. It’s not very clean. They also do not even tell you if your flight is delayed. It only says check-in which means “wait” or update the screen. No guidance on transfer flights and no sense of urgency between flights. The check-in area gets overcrowded very fast and there isn’t no structure to the line.
Date VisitDecember 2017