Colombo Airport

Review by (Hong Kong) 4th August 2015

I have been using this airport for the past few years and am quite happy with it. To me, it is still fairly hassle free and efficient. SriLankan airlines business class customers like myself get to use a special VIP silk route to enter the airport and check in. So the departure process is very smooth from the start. Immigration can be a little long at times, but still move fast enough. There were some good duty free shops, lots of tea and souvenir shops, a few restaurants (including a Burger King), a branch of Odel departure store etc Since it isn't a very big airport, moving around is easy. About the arrival, it is the same thing and very smooth too. The immigration queue is not long, luggage delivery is quick, banks available for currency exchange, and a few mobile shops to purchase local sim cards. Taxis are easy to find too.
Date Visit04-07-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 15th June 2015

The time was 3.30 am but the departures queues were fairly long. I benefited from having reserved my seat online. My main complaint is that the prices in all shops and restaurants are in $US. The prices even for a coffee are 3x the price outside.

Review by (Sri Lanka) 3rd April 2015

Flew to Frankfurt with Sri Lankan and the check in was fast and simple. The airport itself doesn't facilitate many products available for passengers to use. Besides the Palm strip restaurant and the few coffee outlets there is nothing else. Duty free is very limited. Terminals however were very clean and the staff work valiantly to keep it clean. Arrival itself is a complete contrast. from clearing immigration till the point of customs you are surrounded by people shouting orders and is honestly one of the noisiest experiences ever. The staff are rude as they can possibly be. The airport is in need of serious improvements!

Review by (Italy) 19th January 2015

The worst airport experience of my life! I had to change flight here travelling from Rome to Male and on the departure day I had to wait about 8 hours. Dirty restrooms dirty floors dirty seats just a few shops to spend the time bad prices. Low quality food at the Palm Strip restaurant and in the end no one among the airport workers able to tell us where to find a lounge with an entrance fee to pay. We received so many different bits of information and were directed to four different ones all with no allowed access. On the day of the flight back to Italy due to a long delay we went to the SriLankan travel assistance desk and received a coupon for a meal. Again extremely bad quality at the Palm Strip restaurant where we had to "choose" among 3 dishes. Definitely the worst airport I've ever seen.

Review by (India) 11th November 2014

Colombo Airport is in no way of international standard. The main area is a long corridor with very limited seats and on both sides of this corridor are the boarding gates. The interiors are very old and in shabby condition. The check-in counters are limited in numbers but they are never too crowded as the airport receives very limited number of flights and its main airline SriLankan Airlines too has limited flights. The immigration counters are also limited in numbers and the behaviour of immigration officers are pathetic. To me they seemed lethargic in their work and very callous in their attitude. There are very few eating joints and couldn't find a single international chain (KFC/McDonald/Burger King). There were only a few SriLankan restaurants serving SriLankan local food. It was surprising to see the very few duty free shops but a large number of shops selling kitchen and household items. The outside of the airport was very chaotic. No separate lanes for taxi/private cars or buses. All were in same lane.

Review by (Germany) 22nd October 2014

This is probably the worst airport we have ever been to. The interior was old and dingy. The people there were very unfriendly and didn't help us at all. We had a layover for more than 6 hours. We tried to find a restaurant and nobody could help us. Once we found the restaurant the food was terrible. Only good thing was that the prices for food and drinks were cheap. We didn't find a place where we could actually rest. Air conditioning was rare. Mosquitoes everywhere! We actually had to wear sweatshirts although it was unbearable hot! Thanks. Not again!

Review by (United Kingdom) 28th September 2014

Easy to navigate paying for a porter is the best advice as they will get you through quickly to the check in desk. 2 lots of security scans luckily it was very quiet when we arrived at 1130. Airport has a few shops but prices cheaper in the UK. Serendib lounge closed for renovations so had to use the Araliya Vip Lounge (travelling British Airways Club World) clean but very basic tears in the leather seats and not what you would expect! OK for a cold drink and a cake! Clean toilets.

Review by (Bahrain) 7th August 2014

Was in Colombo Airport for a flight to Delhi. The terminal is quite small and based on my observations receives much less traffic than regional rivals like Delhi and Mumbai. Checking in and immigration was pleasant with queues being very short. Ground staff did take some time to check us in but were friendly and immigration was fast and efficient. However the main problem with this airport are the facilities and cleanliness. There are no major international food stalls such as Mcdonalds KFC etc. There is only one small food stall area which offers a limited menu. There are very few shops which all sell the same souvenirs. There is also limited seating and the toilets were not that clean. Not a bad airport but should try and improve a lot if they want to compete with other south Asian airports like Karachi Mumbai and Delhi.

Review by (United Kingdom) 3rd July 2014

While I've got no qualms about their in-flight service or the entertainment system (since I mostly spend the time sleeping) I'd rather take a kayak back to Europe than have to deal with their ground staff once again. Unfortunately my company made that decision for me and bought the tickets with SriLankan a few times so far so I've had the displeasure of having to deal with their check in staff a few times in the past. I'm no stranger to their total lack of co-operation regarding anything at all but their most recent fad is just beyond belief - they flat out refuse to check your baggage to your final destination. Apparently they want you to buy your connecting tickets for subsequent flights directly from them in order to be able to use this 'service' that all airlines with an ounce of common sense provide everyone. In other words pay double what you'd pay normally to SriLankan Airlines have your baggage checked! Long story short they wouldn't check my baggage to the final destination and were being very rude about it ("no exceptions for foreigners!" the staff simply turning around and pretending not to hear my question about why this ridiculous policy is in effect generally exuding an extremely rude attitude they kept me at the check in for so long because of this I nearly missed the flight etc.). I've been to dozens of countries over the past 10 years and never once had to endure what these people put people through at Colombo International Airport.

Review by (United Kingdom) 27th March 2014

A reasonably good airport there are some works going on in the departures area but they aren't causing significant problems. They need to sign board better trying to find the toilets was not easy!