Chicago O'Hare Airport

"passes on phones not adequate for TSA approval"

Trip Verified | You can tell by looking at my boarding pass that I’m TSA approved. But I was patted down because I was wearing a skirt (that’s what the TSA officer said.) I’m a 60 year old lady, who just had knee surgery and I was quite embarrassed by the this. The officer was extremely kind but I do not understand why my boarding pass on my phone was not adequate for this situation. There should be at least signs indicating that boarding passes on phones are not adequate for using your TSA approval.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"lazy, and unhelpful staff"

Not Verified | Horrible, lazy, and unhelpful staff. So many open spaces where they could cut down the lines but they just lean against the wall, laugh and chat up with other security, and I even saw some sleeping on the job. After I asked 1 of the staff there for help on my gate number, they told me to google it and went back to leaning on the wall. I asked another one and they misdirected me to 2 different terminals before I finally found it on my own. They also were disrespectful and made jokes about us like " can you even see " and laughed about it with a co worker. I highly advise anyone that plans on a trip to steer clear of this airport.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"employees rude, unfriendly, and unhelpful"

Not Verified | Arrived from Phoenix on our way to Copenhagen. Signage is basically non-existent or useless in this airport, and it took forever just to find someone to ask where to go to catch our connection. Apparently information desks are only staffed when they feel like it. Probably the worst thing was the employees - rude, unfriendly, and unhelpful. My daughter kept saying, "can you imagine being from another country and trying to navigate this place?!" Oh, and don't come hungry if you need to travel overseas - everything in that terminal closes really early. I planned our trip so far in advance, and we were not supposed to transfer in Chicago, but unfortunately the airline changed our flight and we had to experience the hell that is O'Hare. Try very hard to avoid this airport!
Date VisitJune 2018

"lazy, rude, and disgruntled"

Not Verified | The first thing I noticed was that employees in every area were lazy, rude, and disgruntled. They leaned against walls and chatted about their social plans while ignoring travelers. I believe the employees may purposely misdirected you if you ask for help. They tell you to go in the opposite direction. The airport must be managed by the same types who run Chicago. Masses of travelers bottleneck at crucial checkpoints where clearly it needs to be staffed by several employees, only one or two employees check documents when hundreds of travelers are trying to move to connecting flights. I don’t recommend that you ask anyone for help because they will lie or treat you with terrible rudeness. The entire airport is filthy, covered in food debris and dirt. It’s a little piece of Hell.

"avoid this mess"

Trip Verified | Typical ORD experience late in by an hour delayed out twice so far, travelers have experienced two gate changes and I suspect the final act of uncaring rudeness will be a cancelation. Take my advise - and I know this is hard too do - avoid this mess. Yes it's worth driving to alternative airports, yes it's worth timing headaches. Do not fly through this aeronautical gyer.

"disorganized, unhelpful disgrace"

Trip Verified | I sincerely hope I never have to travel via this airport again. It is the most disorganized, unhelpful disgrace I've ever encountered and I've travelled extensively including 3rd world airports which function far better than this place does. I had the misfortune of transiting through O,Hare on my way back from LAX, which isnt much better. On arrival in T1, I looked for the "In Transit" signs or directions to any sort of "Transit" desk or information. There was none. I walked for what seemed miles, looking for some sort of information or advice on how to proceed. The flight information board didn't show my connecting flight either so I had no way of knowing where to go or which terminal I should be looking for. The information desk was unmanned. Eventually I found a young lady who was on a security checkpoint. She advised me that I should make my way via shuttle bus to Terminal 5. Having done so, I then stood for 11/2 hours at security before I reached the gates only to find that there were no flights form my carrier (United). Again, I spent ages trying to find someone to speak to for information. Eventually I found a woman pushing a trolly. She advised me that I should be at T1 as that's where United fly from. By now my 3hr transit window had all but gone. I returned to the shuttle bus and the Queue was over 200 people deep. I approached an official with a yellow jacket on who was supposedly in charge of the queue and explained I have an extrememly short connection, he refused to allow me on the bus and told me to join the end of the queue. I had no option but to barge through or I woould miss my flight. Eventually I made it back to T1 and through security AGAIN and eventually to my gate with 5 minutes to spare. Frustrated, harassed and sweating. An absolute disgrace! No information and some very unhelpful staff. I don't blame the young lady I spoke to at T1, it was not her job and she made an honest mistake but the rest of the staff where totally uninterested and rude.
Date VisitJune 2018

"unorganized, chaotic, and hectic"

Trip Verified | This airport is the most unorganized, chaotic, and hectic airport I have ever been to. I have flown through Chicago twice - the first time my flight was delayed for 6 hours and I didn't get to DFW until 4am the next morning, and this time my flight was delayed 5 hours and then canceled. I slept on the airport floor and my flight was rebooked to next day making it a 21 hour layover when I was only supposed to have a 3 hour layover. Now we are sitting in the airplane waiting for departure but now we cannot take off from the gate until the gate agents tell us we can. We are currently 30 minutes past our departure time. I have never been more frustrated with an airline, an airport, or the customer service received. This airport needs some serious help with organization and efficiency.
Date VisitJune 2018

"can’t cater for passengers after 8pm"

Trip Verified | Arrived at O’Hare Terminal 5 on Monday evening around 8pm after a long trip to get there. We were hoping to get through security and then sit and have a drink and a meal as our flight wasn’t till 11:40pm. By 8:30pm nearly all the shops, bars and restaurants were closing or closed and we couldn't find nowhere serving food. The one Hudson shop open had queues snaking around the shop continually and was the only place available to get any kind of food. The services were completely inadequate for a large airport! If you can’t cater for passengers after 8pm - don’t have any flights from this time.
Date VisitJune 2018

"an unnecessarily cumbersome system"

Trip Verified | My husband and I arrived at the International terminal with baggage having been checked in Great Britain. We were connecting to another US flight. We had to pick up our bags and then turn them in again (all we did was carry them over, no checks occurred along the way, why can't the airline handle this along with any additional checks of our luggage?) Then, we were guided onto buses that took us out of the security zone, requiring another time through security. Unfortunately, some duty-free liquor we had purchased after clearing security in Britain had not been sealed as required, and we were forced to check it for an additional $100 fee and we almost missed our connecting flight. If we had known about the additional security clearance, we would have made sure the liquor was sealed as required or bought it in time to put in checked baggage. But never in international arrivals elsewhere have we had to leave security just to keep our original bags checked. This seems an unnecessarily cumbersome system that needs to be fixed. Until it is, we will never again book an international arrival into O'Hare. You have lost our business. For the sake of others, please see that airlines warn people that they will have to enter security again at O'Hare, so they need to be careful about liquids they acquire after initial security clearance.
Date VisitJune 2018

"the worst organized airport"

Not Verified | I am a frequent traveler (bi-weekly flyer), and ORD was by far the worst organized airport I've ever experienced. From the food choices to the unorganized airlines to small terminal seat areas. Chicago O'Hare Airport is at the bottom of my list, and do not recommend this airport to anyone - experienced traveler or not. Doesn't seem like the airport staff care either. If they did, things would improve. It's extremely disappointing this is one of the Chicago airports. This has made my trip a very bad experience.