Airline of the Year

Chicago O'Hare Airport

"no trouble getting around"

(Pakistan)

Overall a nice airport. Not that big so no trouble getting around. Lines for immigration are quite long. Departure lounge is always very crowded but once you check in and clear security, the lounges are quite nice with plenty of dining options. The seating area near the gates is quite small and thus it always seems crowded.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"polite and friendly employees"

I am continually impresed with the polite and friendly employees within Chicago O'Hare Airport. From information desks to food services and even the TSA and Customs Agents, everyone is always friendly, talkative and willing to engage in friendly conversation. Chicago has quite a reputation for many things, but my last 4 trips through O'Hare in the last 3 months have been pleasant and noteworthy. Now, if we could just work on better transportation options between terminals.
Date VisitApril 2017

"Scheduling needs to be addressed"

Verified Review | After the flight landed, was forced to sit on tarmac for more than an hour. Apparently due to weather, however, still very unacceptable. Crew seemed embarrassed since they were not able to predict when we would get moving. Were told "15 min" at least 4 times. Scheduling needs to be addressed by airport management.
Date VisitApril 2017

"what happened to respecting people?"

Chicago O'Hare treats passengers like garbage. The security check was torture and not the process just listening to the rude attitudes the employees gave travelers. No respect for the elderly even. They tell and talk down to people. I asked a question and the gentleman working said "I'm busy ask someone else." I'm very disappointed. Next time I'll make sure to connect my flights through Detroit! What happened to respecting people?
Date VisitApril 2017

"every single employee was surly and rude"

Verified Review | Following a great traveller/customer experience travelling out of Heathrow, where everybody I encountered was pleasant and polite, I arrived to the complete opposite at Chicago O'Hare. Every single employee of this airport I encountered was surly and rude. The immigration officer checking the kiosk outputs was off the scale rude - sarcastic, shouting out at other lines with a face like thunder - he was scowling so much. What a contrast from my Heathrow Terminal 5 experience - it just isn't necessary. Whomever is responsible for the staff at this airport needs to invest in some customer service training for their staff and sort out whatever it is which makes them so miserable if they hate their jobs so much!
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"not enough seating at the gates"

Chicago O'Hare Airport is very dirty, not enough seating at the gates. We had a 5 hr layover and not one place to sit down and have lunch in concourse B or C. Grabbed a sandwich but couldn't even eat it - not sure how you mess up a turkey club but they managed. I think it was about a week old. $11 dollar sandwich in the trash. We will never come though O'Hare again. It's very poorly managed and it's clear management doesn't read the reviews. Visit just about any other airport and you will see what you are doing wrong.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"baggage claim took an hour"

I arrived into Chicago O'Hare from a trip in Italy with Alitalia. Once off the plane there is a very long walk to get to the customs office, and it is always a chase to get infront of everyone. In total, the walk was around 10 minutes. The customs is efficient, especially since when I arrived it was not rush hour, where in previous years there were 7 or 8 international flights that arrived from at about the same time, and it was a nightmare. They have the electronic passport checkers, so the process is sped up a little. Baggage claim took an hour, and we had to wait extra time because the airline lost our luggage. After exitting the customs, the arrivals terminal is nothing special, with plenty of connections to downtown and a coach bus terminal to take you elsewhere. In my honest opinion Chicago needs to expand and improve, especially if they want to get more international traffic. If any Airbus A380's start flying there, I would hate to be the people on board that flight because customs will get extremely congested.
Date VisitOctober 2016

"connections are at opposite ends"

Terminals are far apart with no fast transit. How many customers complain that connections are at opposite ends. Tunnels or corridors contain no fast moving walkways. My personal experience is the flaw in both United Airlines and O'Hare mishandling of change and transporting. My connection caused me to move from gate D12 to B22 at some distance. Since I had an hour and 10 minutes between flights, I had plenty of time to get to the gate despite bad hips and a lack of finding a cart - difficult to find and once found won't take you to a gate. Once at B22, however, United changed the gate to E12 noticed about 5 minutes before loading. No notification at the original gate. A long way and bad hips made this untenable. No cart and a lady pushing a wheelchair got me there because the flight was late arriving. Where are the carts when needed and what about motorized wheelchairs. Where are the moving walkways?
Date VisitOctober 2016

"it was horrible"

It took us over an hour to get through customs at O’Hare last week. I don’t know if it’s always like that or if we just had bad timing, but it was horrible. Long line to get to a kiosk where you scan your passport and print out a receipt. Then another long line to show that receipt to a customs agent. Then to the luggage pickup area to get your bag and wait in yet another long line to give that receipt to another agent before you can exit the airport. Nobody even collected our landing cards that you have to fill out on the plane declaring any foreign goods. And we have U.S. passports so we were in the quick lines. The global entry lines were even longer. I don’t know what people trying to make connecting flights were doing; I would’ve been freaking out. Everyone was confused and getting in the wrong lines and budging ahead of people and having trouble at the kiosks. Also, while I’m complaining, there are no signs or timetables for catching buses to connecting cities.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"queuing systems seemed to work perfectly"

(Austria)

Verified Review | I arrived at Chicago O'Hare Airport on time from an international flight and it took me 15 minutes to leave the plane and to pass immigration as well as customs. The queuing systems seemed to work perfectly efficiently and the newly introduced one-stop-priciple for passengers travelling with handluggage only did a great job. In addition, the train service at this airport is great although there is no airside link between the terminals avialable. My general impression of terminals 5 and 1 was that they were very clean. Moreover, the variety of shops, restaurants and cafés cover a broad range of tastes and they are a gorgeous option to shorten the waiting time.
Date VisitAugust 2016