Chennai Airport

Terminal Seating N/A

Chennai Airport customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

I had the misfortune to fly home from Chennai airport just under two weeks ago. It must be the slowest airport in the world. I've been to India six times now so am well acquainted with the slowness of almost everything in the country. However one expects better of an airport especially one that's fairly new and modern-looking and no other Indian airport I've travelled flown home from has been as bad. The first queue was a long one but no longer than many other airport queues I've been in but unlike in most other airports it hardly moved the queue for immigration at Heathrow when I got home was just as long but constantly moving so didn't take too long. The Chennai queue was unbelievably slow. Then came the queues (plural) for security. I understand that they have good reason to take security seriously and I'm glad they do but they kept recalling bags to have another look at them and then someone would search them by hand. One young woman who was just in front of me had her handbag taken from her and put through three times and searched by hand twice - this really can only mean that the staff didn't do it correctly the first time unless it was the result of a malicious desire to make passengers miss their flights. My bag was put through the scanner twice and searched by hand. I saw this happening to other people too. This was on top of the body searches of course (which I know are necessary but do add more time to the process). This is without question the most inefficient airport I've ever used and I shall do my best never to have to use it again.
Airport Shopping N/A

Chennai Airport customer review

Review by (United States)

I have visited Chennai airport 6-7 times in last 10 years. Surprised to see that despite having world class airports so close (Bangalore and Hyderabad - I visited both and they are excellent) Chennai didn't learn any lessons. Both the International and Domestic terminals are messy. Not clean and I am sure many wouldn't like to use the rest rooms. There are not too many options in the terminal for restaurants or bars or shopping. You will always see a few people being escorted by airport employees to the immigration and for security clearance causing irritation among the people standing in queue. There is no medical assistance or pharmacy either.

Review by (India)

Used the airport on January 8 2015 as part of my transit to Delhi. Had extended stay there as my connection missed and needless I say the experience was nice and better than what it was when I used in four years back. The new terminal is excellent well stocked and surprisingly clean than many similar Indian Airports. The only problem encountered was the security which is still slow and tacky to negotiate.

Review by (India)

The old airport is of a very low standard without any facilities. Toilets are not clean and smell. The newly constructed International terminal looks fine from outside. Even though airport may be small facilities and ground staff are the parameters which make an airport among one of the best.

Review by (Australia)

I flew in to Chennai airport from Sydney recently along with my Australian colleague. The first impression of the new airport is still disappointing with the promised changes not being seen anywhere. With the travelators not working its a long walk to the immigration counters. I had a quick passage through the immigration whilst my Australian colleague didn't have too much luck. The Malaysian airlines stewardess didn't provide him with the immigration card. He was asked to fill it in at the immigration counter which was fine. The immigration official was insistent on exactly knowing the address of the hotel where he was going to stay. The officials tone and tenor was disappointing. This is definitely not the way for the immigration officials to conduct themselves. Overall Chennai airport is a huge disappointment.

Review by (Canada)

Passed through MAA three times - once in transit one arrival and one departure. This airport should be avoided if you have any choice or option. Arrival was at 3am from LHR very long walk to old terminal for immigration although both immigration and baggage were quick and cheerful. Outside the terminal is a complete zoo. No easy public transport. Luckily we had a driver. Transit involved a 4.5 hour change from international to international flight. We were met off the flight by airline staff who did not identify themselves as such until asked then placed in quarantine in a locked area with two other transit passengers. The only facilities were a water fountain and a dirty toilet with no paper. The staff took our passports boarding passes and luggage receipts. To my relief they did come back an hour later with new boarding passes and luggage tags and let us out of the locked area. It did all work in the end - we made our connection and our bags arrived at LHR - it just wasn't very pleasant Facilities at this airport - food shopping wifi toilets and lounges - are all minimal or poor and anywhere from unclean to filthy dirty.
Airport Shopping N/A

Review by (Bahrain)

Chennai airport needs to address the following: Cleanliness in the terminal no tissues in the washrooms rusted pipes in the water dispensers open waste bins near the restaurants. Lot of makeshift equipment and ladders placed around. No 'wet floor' sign used when cleaning. The sign board to 'Terminals' is hidden by a Police barricade as you approach the airport from GST road. Commendable part is the immigration which is quick and to the point. Security needs to be more faster or more lanes to be added. More variety in the restaurants is needed. Long wait to travel between domestic and international terminals. I am sure the airport can be made a lot better than what it is now.

Review by (India)

The new international terminal that looks grand from outside is badly planned inside. Construction dirt and grime are seen on all white-painted columns and girders. The lounge is located on a higher floor and is accessible only by lift. An escalator would have moved people more conveniently. Anyway the lounge is pathetic compared to the lounges in the old terminal. There is no arrival immigration in the new terminal and passengers are forced to walk some 500 m to the immigration counters in the old terminal. The smelly toilets seem to have been transplanted from the old terminal and are maintained just as filthy. One cannot help comparing this airport to the cleanly maintained private airports at Bangalore and Hyderabad. Wonder when immigration and baggage handling facilities will be available in the new terminal.

Review by (Singapore)

I was there a couple of months ago and was shocked to see carpets instead of tiles in the new departure lounge. Needless to say they were badly stained. Everything else was lousy I asked at the book-shop about Indian news- magazines and was snobbishly told that only foreign publications were available. The food and drink available is expensive and awful. Truly a disgusting experience.

Chennai Airport customer review

Review by (United States)

The brand new terminal is falling apart. Tiles broken/cracking all over the place. Who was the genius that recommended fabric seats-they are very badly stained. Bathrooms smell and flood all over the place.