Charlotte Airport

"the service was horrible"

Not Verified | We travelled from NYC to Charlotte and our flight was cancelled from Charlotte to TriCities airport due to weather. The staff were not prepared to handle the number of stranded customers and the service was horrible. Also, there were no rental cars available and the car rental staff were rude and of no help. We decided to call a friend and stay in Gastonia, NC which is 20 minutes from the airport and we rented a car outside of the airport in Gastonia and drove 3 hours the next day home to Johnson City in order to attend a funeral. The airlines (American) cancelled all flights and American nor the Charlotte airport staff could handle the influx of customers. My main concern for Charlotte is to prepare your staff for a disaster and how to handle a crisis when there is an influx of people in your airport. I would expect that your facility has a disaster plan and if this is your disaster plan, it needs to be revamped so that you can meet the customer needs. Very concerned on how this went down!
Date VisitJuly 2018

"the worst baggage claim system"

Not Verified | Charlotte airport has the worst baggage claim system I have ever seen. I live in Charlotte therefore I have to use this airport all of the time. It always take 45 minutes to an hour for bags to arrive. I have used the airport approximately 7-8 times in the past year and there is always an insane delay with the luggage. The area for pickup is way too small and the people running it never stop blowing their whistles so no one has any clue what or where to go. Terrible experience every time but I don’t have another option. Unacceptable and really needs some changes.
Date VisitMay 2018

"Nobody was helpful"

Not Verified | I had the absolute worst experience in my life traveling through Charlotte. I'm not sure if it was American Airlines or just the lack of organization by the airport. We landed with a 90 minute layover from Cancun. Lightening was spotted so we were told we had to wait before they could let anyone off of our first plane. We missed our connecting flight somehow even though we made it to the gate before departure time. Nobody was helpful or seemed to care that we were upset and lost on what to do next. They said we had to stay in a room until the next morning and that's all there was to it. No "I'm sorry" or anything of the sort. Our luggage was supposedly sent to Indy without us, but when we got to Indy 7 hours later to pick it up, it was nowhere to be found. Our luggage was left in Charlotte last year as well. We will avoid this airport at all costs from this point forward.
Date VisitJune 2018

"the least organized airport"

Not Verified | Now to start my company and myself are not rude or impatient. We are quite empathetic and understanding. That being said this is the least organized airport I have ever had the displeasure of visiting. We flew in from Jamaica for a connecting flight. First we were forced to stay on the airplane for an extra 35 minutes because customs was clogged. Mind you we already had a terrible flight experience with American Airlines. Upon entering customs we observe chaos. Different TSA employees are yelling at hundreds of customers to “direct” us all. After finally getting through customs we are yelled at to get our bags, fine. At the third threshold however three more TSA agents start giving everyone three different varieties of wrong directions. We end up missing our connecting flight and at the wrong area completely. More employees continue to curtly tell us we are all in the wrong area (although we had been yelled at to do so) and that we are SOL. We and another hundred customers then waited an additional 40 minutes to recheck in and get new flights. We did not come across one decent treating polite employee during this entire experience. I wish my job allowed me to be rude and discourteous to good paying customers. I have flown my entire life, I disliked this experience more than O’Hare and will be avoiding this airport at all costs.
Date VisitMay 2018

"TSA were overly aggressive"

Not Verified | Me, my mother's boyfriend and my mother were traveling and had to take multiple flights to get home, Charlotte was the last. The TSA harassed me and my mother's boyfriend randomly checking us and never really explaining at all. My mother's boyfriend has metal knees and it took them a good half hour to realize that's not a problem. The TSA were overly aggressive when talking to us and just told us to go away after the check was done. Then later when we check our bags we find that they checked our luggage too. If I ever fly again I am definitely not visiting Charlotte Airport.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"Both times our luggage has been soaked"

Trip Verified | This is the second time that we have flown from this airport and had our bags soaking wet on the other end of the flight. Both times our luggage has been soaked through on all sides of the bags and we could wring water out of our clothes. We had to take them to a laundromat this time to dry them out so we could wear them. Never have we experienced this at any other airport and to have it happen twice now at the same one is extremely odd. It was like someone just dropped them into a huge deep puddle of water and let them sit there for an hour.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"it is complete chaos"

(Mexico)

Trip Verified | I understand and I was able to see that the airport is being refurbished, however it is complete chaos. No signs, everybody is running confused from one side to the other side. There are no staff to guide or assists travelers. Very poor and few options to eat something and most of them are crowded. My conclusion is that if I could avoid this airport I would definitely do so.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"a ridiculous delay"

Trip Verified | This was my first time using the Charlotte Airport, and I hope it will be the last. I was arriving on an American flight that was more than an hour late. When we touched down in Charlotte it seemed like there might just be time for me to make my connecting flight. However, after taxiing a few minutes, we came to a stop near the terminal and then sat there without moving for a solid hour. The pilot apparently couldn't tell us anything beyond "there's a traffic jam", which was not exactly helpful. There were lots of gates open, including the one I watched my connecting flight leave, so I can't really believe there was a valid reason for such a ridiculous delay.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"plenty of signs and helpful employees"

Not Verified | I have flown in and out of CLT several times in the last 18 months and I have had a great experience every time. Although there has been construction going on at the airport for at least the last 18 months, it has not been an issue. There are plenty of signs and helpful employees to direct flyers where to go. I am especially impressed that there are workers and signs in the long term parking lots that direct drivers where to find parking spots. This was especially critical during the busy time before and after Christmas. And I have never waited more than a few minutes for the shuttle bus to pick up in the parking lot or in arrivals. Previously I have flown in and out of Chicago Ohare, ORD, and CLT is so much easier to move through than ORD, which is massive in comparison. I also find that airport staff will treat you well if you treat them well.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"security lines insanely long"

Not Verified | This airport is a complete fiasco. I have lived in Charlotte all my life and I am very familiar with the airport, but with all the construction going on at CLT there have been more issues I have encountered, mostly associated with parking, but this was probably was the worst out of all of them. I was flying American Airlines from Charlotte to Pittsburgh to see friends and normally I use Park N' Go but this time I decided I'd park in the Daily Decks since it was closer to the terminal I was only going for 3 days, I always avoid the Long Term lots since those lots are a zoo and they have been that way forever. When I parked the first shuttle was full so I waited almost 20 minutes for another one to come and when it came the driver offered no help to anyone with large suitcases. In the airport the line at check in was ridiculous, the agents were taking their sweet time checking people in, American app was not working so I couldn't check in with it. Check-in took about 25 minutes, security lines were insanely long and I finally ended up going to the E checkpoint even though my flight was at Concourse C since it was the least of all of evils but even then TSA still took almost an hour. TSA Staff were all very rude and were barking orders at people military style, I put my laptop in the plastic bin with my wallet, phone, and shoes like I have countless times before without a problem and the TSA agent barked at me claiming I wasn't following directions and that my laptop had to go in it's own container, I looked on TSA.gov and nowhere does it say that's required, all it says is you have to remove the laptop from your carry on, which I did. Of course since I knew they were just doing their job I didn't argue. I go through the scanner and wait for my bags and I couldn't find my backpack, I ask one of the agents and she flat out ignored me and said I was asking the wrong person. I finally saw them staring at my bag on the screen and I stood there until finally after 15 minutes an agent asked "is this your bag" and I said yes. As it turned out a set of souvenir coins that had formed a clump in my backpack apparently looked weird but when I asked if I could just take it out and show them what it was they yelled at me saying I wasn't allowed to touch the bag and I'd be denied boarding if I did. Nobody was willing to help, they were treating all the passengers like dogs, even children and the elderly, it was just appalling. There's a large amount of restaurants and retail outlets at CLT but once you're at the gate the seating areas are cramped and there is very limited seating. The concourses have hardly changed at all since the late 90s. Some of the gates in Concourse E still use ancient dot matrix printers. After the TSA incident I just barely made my flight by 15 minutes even though I arrived at the airport almost 2 hours prior, gate agent was the only nice person I encountered at the airport, she probably heard of the all the TSA problems from other passengers because when she scanned my ticket she said "don't worry I wouldn't have closed the door on you" she said there were 12 people on the flight still stuck in the TSA lines. Given this is my home airport it is embarrassing to see that they treat customers like this.
Date VisitJuly 2017