Charlotte Airport

"avoid this airport"

Unverified | On August 10, 2017, we arrived at Charlotte airport on a flight from Rome, Italy. We had a 2.5-hour layover for a connecting flight to New Orleans. We have made round trips from the US to Italy for 35 years, and we have never had such a long delay in passing through US Immigration. There were at least 500 people in line, and there were only 7 agents checking passports. There were about 20 passport kiosks for do-it-yourself scan of passport, finger prints, etc. After about an hour, we made it to the Kiosk; then about another 45 minutes to the agent who repeated the same procedure himself that we had already done at the kiosk. The process couldn't have been more confusing and when I finally said something to an airport courtesy worker, she said "we make no promises". We barely made our connecting flight. They were closing the door. Many in line were for more than one hour after their connecting flights were due to depart. In short, avoid this airport until changes are made. It is a beautiful facility with worse than poor management and organization in the Passport Control area.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"service was pitiful"

Unverified | The service at Charlotte airport was pitiful. We arrived from Punta Cana and had a connecting flight to Oregon. We had 3 hours of lay over which you'd think is enough but with the incapacity of the passport control we missed our flight. I can assure you I will never travel through to this airport again.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"has always been a tough place to get around"

(US Virgin Islands)

Verified Review | Charlotte airport has always been a tough place to get around. You generally always have to go from one end of one terminal to the end of another. Handicapped individuals used to reliably depend on the Club Car to pick them up and take them to their destination. You sat in a designated spot and they would pick you up. However, now probably for some politically correct reason, the Club Cars no longer run. They have been replaced by men and women who will push you in a chair to where you are going. However, the sit and wait in the designated chairs no longer works. I sat for 25 minutes and watched empty chair after empty chair walk by me. Some looked at me, but just walked on by. If the airport was bad before [high priced restaurants and ling distances to walk with intermittent functioning if the skywalks] it is now even crueler.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"everything is horribly delayed"

Unverified | Avoid this airport at all costs. Every time I come here it is an absolute nightmare. They can never get gates right and everything is horribly delayed. It looks like the Olympics are taking place because everyone is running around like mad to catch gates since everything is late. Will try my best to never come through this airport again.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"airport has gone downhill fast"

Verified Review | Charlotte airport has gone downhill fast. I understand they are growing but it is an absolute nightmare to navigate. Every concourse is overcrowded. The air rarely works well. Bathrooms are disgusting and feel like you're in an old gym locker room. Staff are the most discourteous I've experienced and I'm in airports every week. I've been knocked over, pushed, and had my bag knocked off of my arm multiple times trying to get to my gate. It's everything everyone dreads about travel these days.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"doesn't appear to have been planned"

Unverified | So far I have used 20 airports on 2 continents and Charlotte is the absolute worst. It doesn't appear to have been planned but seems to have grown randomly like a snake firework from the 4th of July. You have to be in pretty good shape to comfortably hike from one point to another with your carry-on, personal item and whatever else in tow. The whole thing should be razed and rebuilt.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"a lack of available seating"

Verified Review | I have connected several times at Charlotte Airport in 2017. At least in Terminals B and E, there is a lack of available seating coupled with a lack of places to charge electronic devices/work while waiting for your next flight. At 9 am, I am currently sitting on the floor between terminals. The bathrooms are also showing their age and the smells are not inviting. The bathroom attendant helps but the problems in the bathrooms go much deeper than an attendant can solve. The carpets in the terminal should be ripped up and replaced with tile or a hard surface. For a city with so many affluent bankers, this airport is not measuring up.
Date VisitJune 2017

"held on the plane for 35 minutes"

Flying in we were delayed due to a line of planes trying to get to a gate. When I returned on an international flight, we were held on the plane for 35 minutes because the customs hall was backed up and the fire Marshalls would not let any more people in. This is the second time this has happened to me and the last time we missed our connecting flight. This is only going to get worse as they are building more gates to allow more planes to land and doing nothing that will increase capacity of the immigration hall. I don't care how many rocking chairs they have or places to eat or shop, just get me to my gate without a major hassle, I've flown internationally through a dozen airports and this is the worst!
Date VisitMay 2017

"had the worst experience with TSA"

Verified Review | The airport itself is fine but I had the worst experience with TSA. They were all rude and not helpful at all. I was traveling with a toddler and had no idea how I was supposed to go through security with her. When I asked several different TSA workers they were very rude.
Date VisitMay 2017

"the wheelchair was not there"

Verified Review | I requested medical equipment because I have a brace on My leg. When I landed, the wheelchair was not there and waiting. I waited for a good 15 minutes for the person that was supposed to get me with the chair and get me to my next gate to board the next flight. I attempted to exit the plane not being able to bend my leg, hobbled to the door in the rain to finally get the help! When the person got me to my gate he said Sorry, you missed the flight. I got an apology and was told that they apologized for being short staffed and received a discount voucher for a hotel, I asked for management and again was told about them being short staffed. By the time I got shuttled to the room I should have already been with my son in Kansas. I missed a night with him, had to pay for a room because of them being "short staffed" and was placed outside in the wheelchair in the freezing cold and rain! I was told that I needed to be outside so I didn't miss my shuttle! 45 minutes is how long it took! By the time I reached the room, my luggage was soaked, I hobbled to a vending machine because I was starving, showered, and got to sleep at 2am I had to be back up at 5, take a shuttle at 5.30, and be back at the airport by six. In fear of being short staffed again although the plane was scheduled to depart at 7.30am. Have sent 2 strongly worded complaints to the Airport and if I had a choice, I would rent a car, with my bad leg, and drive the 15 hour trip back home!
Date VisitApril 2017