Top 100 Airlines

Chambery Airport

"terminal was very overcrowded"

Travelled here for skiing. My arrival was delayed by about two hours due to fog. When we landed, it was apparent that several other 'planes had recently landed and the terminal was very overcrowded. After a long time queuing to get through passport control (only two officers), I found there were only two luggage belts and the indicator initially designated the wrong one for my flight. This caused consternation for many passengers when luggage did not appear as expected. The error was corrected and I managed to fight my way through the crowds to get my skis and case. Not a pleasant experience. The return journey was an absolute nightmare. Once again, flights were delayed due to fog. Driving the last 15 miles to Chambery was difficult due to the dense fog. Direction signs were few and far between and lacking a Satnav I became concerned I would be unable to locate the airport. The terminal was full to overflowing, people were sitting on the floor, on the stairs, standing wherever there was room. If there had been any sort of security scare I hate to think of the injuries which could have been caused in a stampede to exit the building. The catering business must make a fortune in this airport as there was a massive queue for the whole of the eight and a half hours I was waiting there. Once my flight was called, we were forced to queue in a very small area with tape barriers creating a snake of people waiting to pass the two customs officers. They did their best to move people through, but there was a jam back from the security checking area which is too small with insufficient staff to cope with the volume of passengers. I was becoming concerned I would miss my flight, but I guess they are used to this state of confusion as we were herded directly onto a transfer bus as soon as we cleared security. This airport is just too small for the number of passengers using it. There is no overflow capacity in the event of delays, which I now understand are very common here. Why on Earth build an international airport in an area known to suffer from regular dense fog? Next time (if) I fly to the French Alps, I will go to Lyon. As a matter of interest, if I had chosen to drive to the Alps (as I usually do), I could have made the complete return journey home in less time than it took me by air. Makes you think, doesn't it.

"great little airport"

Chambery is a great little airport, the closest to the major ski resorts like The Three Valleys. It's small and gets crowded at weekends, but has a cosy bar/restaurant on the first floor. In 2014 we were delayed 6 hours here due to bad weather and they couldn't do enough to make our stay more comfortable, drafting in extra sandwiches etc. We were on time this year but still had time to enjoy refreshments/drinks etc. Much better than using Geneva or Lyon
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"not enough seats"

Horrible airport and rude security staff. Hoards of people going through 2 x-ray machines and security were unnecessarily obnoxious and arrogant. They made the situation a lot worse by shouting at people when they weren't doing exactly as told. People have the right to be treated with dignity and these people have obviously forgotten that. Once through security there are not enough seats and people just standing waiting or sitting on the floor for long periods for planes delayed due to the shoddy airport and it's staff.

"absolute hell on earth"

Absolute Hell on Earth. I estimate there were around a thousand people crowed into the check-in and gate area. No structure to the queuing area and the check in desk was changed mid way through. There are plenty of staff wandering around with radios and clip boards but the chaos continued. I will never travel through this airport again.
Date VisitFebruary 2016

"nowhere near enough seats"

We arrived at this airport on Saturday 2nd Jan 2016 to be herded like cattle through passport control. There were 2 officers on duty checking every passport, yes just two officers. Ahead was a plane from Russia and while we waited two further plains arrived. It was cold and throwing down with rain, the queue area was inadequate to say the least. Eventually the situation got to the point where the authorities just decided to give in and let everyone in. What was the point? If you are going to do it have the staff to do it properly. We understand security is heightened due to the Paris attacks but this was a farce. The return a week later was worse. This is an airport which simply does not have the facilities to deal with the number of passengers it serves. Massive queue to get in, queue to check in, queue to go through passport control, facilities more suitable to a rural bus station, dirty toilets, nowhere near enough seats. Then to top it off when collecting our luggage later it had clearly been left outside in the pouring rain. This airport clearly needs investment and urgently.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"entire gamut of airport services"

For second year running this airport has succeeded in totally ruining an otherwise very enjoyable experience in Val d'isere over Xmas and New year. As committed Francophiles, with interests elsewhere in France, we are appalled by the arrogance of the local authorities and agencies involved in the provision and management of such services to hundreds of thousands of international visitors who ultimately supplement if not almost entirely underwrite the payments of their wages and salaries. Having tried, what appeared to be the most direct route to our favourite ski-resort in the world, we will continue to visit Val but not via Chambery Airport. The areas of complaint cover the entire gamut of airport services and are already articulated by an increasing list of similarly minded visitors posting on the Internet. It will not be long before you have to do some real work to justify and sustain your current lifestyles.
Date VisitDecember 2015

Chambery Airport customer review

A terrible airport. Nowhere near enough facilities staff or processes to cope with the peak demand. An awful experience which ruined the holiday. Snow on runway caused major delays and backed up flights in UK - in the Alps? In the winter? Why should this have been a surprise? Limited snow clearing equipment. This airport should not be allowed to operate as a tourist airport for high volume of ski flights. Staff flustered passengers under pressure and tempers flaring. A horrible horrible experience but one for which there is little alternative choice with Crystal Ski to the Mont Blanc area. Unfortunately - same airport destination already booked for next year (prior to this horrific experience). 4.5 hours in slow moving road traffic to arrive at airport for 10 hour delay with what seemed like thousands and thousands of other similarly angry people. Read many reviews since which all give similar warnings over a long period of time - what do we have to say differently to prompt some dignified changes to this facility's operation? Avoid if you can.

Chambery Airport customer review

This is by far the worst airport experience I have ever had. I have travelled extensively to some pretty remote places but this one is by far the worst. 1 hour queue to check in with no more than 10 parties in front of us. When we got there he had no record of our ski equipment been booked for carriage though I showed him the document which plainly showed it had so he had to call his supervisor. The check in itself was makeshift with half a dozen tee shirt clad youths throwing bags onto trolleys once finally checked in. Then another queue for security. Few trays to put things in when you got to the departure area (4 gates) it was completely full. I suspect there were at least a thousand people in a room designed for 200. When we arrived we had to circle for 30 minutes as there was no where to put us. There are tent like structures all around the terminal building serving as arrival security baggage halls etc. the main issue seems to be greed in that they are taking far more flights than the airport can handle. Avoid at all costs.

Chambery Airport customer review

Chambery Airport is a disgrace! Every flight in and out delayed by 1 hour. Very limited seating very poor services (1 restaurant and snack bar). The departure lounge is just one big room (with 4 so called departure gates) where all different flight passengers just stand around mixed in hoping to be near their gate - utter chaos. Avoid using Chambery Airport at all cost - go somewhere different and if skiing in La Plagne/Les Arc area use Geneva airport. This airport just cannot cope with more than a few planes a day!

Chambery Airport customer review

A total disaster which spoiled the holiday. Wildly over congested seating very limited and passengers sleeping all over the floor. Flight information on two screens only horrific queues for check in and immigration. Avoid at all costs and the extra transfer time from Grenoble Geneva etc more than makes up for the horrible experience that is Chambery.