Top 100 Airlines

Cardiff Airport

"service was horrendous"

Verified Review | Departure at this airport was fast and efficient and without fuss which was great. Arrival however was another matter, long queues at passport control, baggage collection for our flight was ok but then when we went to get a taxi it was abysmal. Was told we would have to wait half an hour and over an hour later we were still at airport. The service was horrendous and spoiled what was otherwise an uneventful journey. Surely they know when flights are coming in and what airport in the world doesn't have a taxi rank outside. Very, very poor. Come on Cardiff it's embarrassing.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"very rude and insensitive service"

Departures at Cardiff was great, very organised and stress free it was on our arrival back that I have a complaint. I'm 7 months pregnant, had my 3 year old with me (no pram as we hadn't got back yet) and my autistic 9 year old stepson. I thought given my situation with both children very over tired and my uncomfortable situation being quite pregnant and trying to control both I thought I'd go down the passport control of special assistance only to be greeted by a very rude lady, demanded why I thought I could go down there to be seen sooner, in most airports when you have young children or are heavily pregnant they prioritise you, this lady was terrible at her job and made me feel extremely uncomfortable. It put me off wanting to go back, very rude and insensitive service.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"thorough and well managed"

The Airport Parking is much improved and the free drop off for cars and taxis is just in front of the airport terminal and very quick. The check in and bag drop off is well organised. The security is thorough and well managed. The shopping area has been refurbished since our last visit and the food outlet has a good selection of food and drink and the prices are reasonable. On arrival back from our holiday the baggage handling was quick and although the security passport queue was long it was soon cleared.
Date VisitJune 2016

"rather short on facilities"

I last used Cardiff several years ago and is certainly better than then. Parking in Long Stay 1 is about a 5 minute walk to the terminal, just as well as the advertised shuttle bus was not in evidence. The terminal is OK but rather short on facilities. Security queues were short but the process took a good 15 minutes as one of our party was selected for random testing, this would be fine if the one person doing the checking had not spent considerable time shifting liquids between bags for two travellers, in an effort to throw away as little as possible (sorry, but that is the passengers' responsibility) and ignoring the queue. After that, departure went well. Arriving was not bad, a short wait for passport checks, but then we had to walk back to the car as the bus was still conspicuous by its absence. Cardiff appears to be trying to establish itself as a regional airport and has potential, though I think there is still some way to go, in my experience Bristol is better - though it has its faults too.
Date VisitMay 2016

"poor car parking facilities"

Poor car parking facilities at Cardiff airport. Despite having pre-booked and pre-paid at long stay 2, it was difficult to find a space and had to drive around for a good 5 minutes. Car park lighting not good which made it difficult to see any signs, if there are any, directions for walking from the car park to the terminal building, where to pick up and timing of shuttle bus (if there is one operating) to take you from the car park to the terminal building. As our luggage had wheels and we don't have any mobility problems, we walked from the car park to the terminal building along the roadway where we had entered. Queues not too bad at check in and staff dealt with passengers fairly quickly. Access to security and departure lounge from check in via a flight of stairs or a lift. Queues at security not too bad and again staff dealt with passengers fairly quickly. Standard airport offering of pricey and flavourless food and refreshments in departure area. There's a duty free shop but as most of the flights are within the EU we weren't able to take advantage - prices seemed to be comparable with normal high street prices. On check-in we were told to leave the departure area early as there was a long walk to the departure gate. You don't need a visit to the gym on the day you fly from Cardiff - plenty of stairs and a good walk along grey uninspiring corridor to gates with no seating or refreshment facilities and I didn't notice any toilet facilities once you'd left the departure lounge. For arrival, again a long walk to immigration and baggage area along dull grey corridors and, I think, 5 or 6 flights of stairs, the longest (4 flights) of which didn't seem to have a lift or escalator facility. Immigration had a few e-passport booths and fortunately there was a member of staff to assist you when the technology doesn't recognise you. Baggage carousel a bit confusing as changed flight information before completing delivery of baggage from previous flight causing confusion and concern that baggage had been lost. Walked back to the car park as it seemed easier than trying to find out whether there were any shuttle buses and, if so, where the collection point at the terminal was. Fortunately there was a member of staff on hand at the car park exit as the number recognition system didn't recognise our vehicle. As this has happened to us previously, we did have the paperwork to hand.

"avoid if you can"

Cardiff Airport arrivals is a shambles - avoid if you can and cannot recommend. Border control staff need more training in being sensitive to individual requirements. Alternatively they could employ more staff but too much cost cutting maybe, and perhaps why staff attitudes are poor?
Date VisitMay 2016

"no difficulty finding a seat"

Still not the easiest place to reach. Road and signposting still needs improving. I found it easier than Bristol, though. Travelled Flybe to Algarve April 2016. Parked in short stay, £70+ but there was a prebooked deal through Topcashback so worked out closer to £50. Prepaid and barrier lifted correctly on driving up to it. Needed to get closer to the barrier than I expected from previous experiences. Difficulty getting from car park to main buiding as there were no ramps, only steps. So in spite of having wheels on my large suitcase I still had to carry it up the concrete steps from the car park. I've had one heart attack and I'm not sure that lugging a 20Kg case up steps is ideal preparation for a holiday. So whoever designed the shortstay park did not have disabled access in mind. Inside was fairly standard. I gave up on airport breakfasts years ago. Tea and toast is the only safe thing on the menus. Security was a little 'nosey' about my medication. Perhaps I don't look like someone who's had cancer and a heart attack. They even asked why I needed a tube of cooling soothing cream and seemed surprised I might get sunburn in the Algarve. Standard departure lounge feel. Food, shops like everywhere. No difficulty finding a seat, which was a bonus. Compared to a few years back it does seem better overall. Sort out the approach roads, signposts and car park steps and it will be very good. Oh, and the car park barrier worked correctly when we returned too.
Date VisitApril 2016

"easy to get around"

As we live in the very West of Wales Cardiff is our nearest airport (90 miles) so we're limited when choosing destinations for holidays if we don't fancy travelling too far. The airport itself isn't too bad. It's clean, easy to get around and staff are friendly but there are a number of issues that really let it down. Firstly is its location, it's 10 miles from the M4 through residential areas which can be a nightmare at School dropping off and picking up times. It also doesn't help that it is really poorly signposted. As you get closer the signs disappear altogether. We know where it is but even we get confused! Secondly the choice of flights is really poor. We wanted a winter sun holiday this year and basically had the choice of Tenerife or Gran Canaria, nothing else. To make the airport pay it needs to get tour operators to offer more routes. It also needs to attract more carriers. British Airways's maintenance unit is next door. If BA planes can use the runway to fly in and out for service why can't the company use it for passenger flights as well. Lastly introduce a bag drop. Most tour operators do online check in now. We checked in online but then waited 40 mins to check in again as Cardiff doesn't have a bag drop. Sort these things & Cardiff would be perfect.
Date VisitMarch 2016

"clean, tidy and well run"

Having read previous reviews we were a little concerned but on reaching the airport we found it clean, tidy and well run. Check in was quick and we were dealt with courteously. Upstairs we found seats and ordered breakfast from the cafe (which looks like a bar). We had a cooked breakfast which was served at our table in a very quick time and was good and we felt reasonably priced. Tables and chairs were new and quite comfortable. There is a small shopping area which could be improved with a superdrug/Boots so that you could buy toiletries after you have gone through security. Boarding was fine and we like to walk across the tarmac to the plane steps. Arriving back was easy with no problems and the art/Wall art etc was interesting and fitted in with a Welsh theme. All in all we would prefer to fly so more Cardiff flights please.
Date VisitFebruary 2016

"check in was a breeze"

Nice easy going airport, clean and lots of seating capacity. Reasonable food and drink available. The security staff were brilliant, friendly and courteous but efficient and competent. Check in was a breeze with virtually no queue and bag collection was brisk and easy. This is a great airport for people travelling from this area as it is easy to access and it's possible to be home quickly as opposed to the London and Bristol airports. There is a lack of destinations but it yours is catered for I see no reason to fly from anywhere else if you are resident in the area.
Date VisitJanuary 2016