Cardiff Airport

"shabby and dirty"

Not Verified | It is many years since I last flew from Cardiff so upon arrival I was impressed with the changes to the departure lounge/duty free area. The computer system was down on check in so we had to be checked in manually which was ok on departure but a bit of a problem on our return from Amsterdam as they could not find us initially as having flown from Cardiff in the first place. It was sorted though when we explained what had happened on the way out and after producing our outward boarding passes which we had kept luckily! My biggest complaint is how dirty the toilets were in the departure lounge. The ladies toilets had approx 18 cubicles and not one of the toilets was clean - they were foul! Our flight was delayed so we spent all day at the airport from 8 in the morning til 4.30pm and the cleaning log on the back of the door said those toilets had been checked several times during the time I was there. Toilet paper all over the floor, the tiles beneath the hand driers were black with grime, most of the taps not working. I felt ashamed to be Welsh - this is what visitors to our beautiful country are seeing upon arrival. This is really not good enough, I honestly wanted to clean them myself out of shames sake! On our return, it was even worse - arrivals was shabby and dirty. I'd hate to think what impression visitors have. I am so disappointed with our National airport. Also, because of our delay we were given £8.00 food vouchers each - try getting something to eat for that at Cardiff airport!
Date VisitApril 2018

"parking fees absolutely ridiculous"

Not Verified | Car parking fees absolutely ridiculous. Double that of Bristol. Food served in the bar's is also extremely expensive. Forcing people to use Bristol. Bristol airport seems to be on a different level to that of Cardiff. Come on Cardiff get your act together you're pricing yourselves out of the running.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"food and drink are way overpriced"

Not Verified | Airport is fine (security and check in) but food and drink are way overpriced (dearer than Heathrow) particularly the beer house. £5.85 for a beer and £12.45 for breakfast. Get food/drinks in Barry for a 1/3 of the price (5 min away). Flying location options have improved and the flights to Ireland (Flybe) are very competitive, but general holidays are still too expensive compared to Bristol.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"Take all this feedback into account"

Not Verified | I'm not complaining about using the airport, what I want to complain about is the fact that I have to use another one - Bristol Airport (which I detest) because their prices are so much cheaper. There are so many people like me who have to fly to Bristol when we have a perfectly good airport in Wales. Why oh why can't the government make a go of this, is it because its in public sector hands now? For god's sake make this a growing concern. Take all this feedback into account, up the ante and get this place a commercial success with high standards, customer focussed and if the staff ain't cutting it - get rid and then get some who can. Bristol is a pain in the backside to get to and from - I really don't need the inconvenience I would rather support my local airport as I'm know a lot of Welsh people would agree they would much rather fly from Cardiff than Bristol. Sort it out Welsh Government or get someone in who can. I'm sure it ain't rocket science.
Date VisitMay 2017

"place is dirty and dingy"

Not Verified | Busiest day of the year for travel. Only 2 security checkpoints. People couldn't scan their tickets, 45 mins to get into departures. Come on Cardiff admit defeat Bristol is better. The prices that are charged to go from here you would expect better service. The place is dirty and dingy. The staff are rude an unhelpful. The welsh assembly should be ashamed to have put money into this shed.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"Cardiff was a joy"

Verified Review | I had booked to fly from Cardiff with some trepidation, as I had bitter experience of Bristol airport when it was "taxpayer owned". But I have to say that my fears were unfounded. The drive there was easy, with parking close and inexpensive; The terminal isn't up to much, typical regional, but it does function. I am amazed to read other reviews complaining about the staff. I found them to be the friendliest and most helpful of any UK airport that I have flown from. Compared to the TUI instigated pandemonium that we experienced at Paphos airport, Cardiff was a joy.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"no lounge area where one could sit"

Unverified | On departure, when the flight was called, there was a considerable wait in the corridor before boarding. Unlike other airports there was no lounge area where one could sit and this was very disturbing for older people who cannot stand for such long periods. On return from holiday, to get to baggage collection and security, one has to walk up three layers of steps along a long corridor and then descend to the next stage of exit. What a wonderful design of facilities, (not ) when a more friendly scheme could have been planned. Please consider the old ways when the plane taxied behind the building and we walked a couple of yards to the customs and baggage area. The only reason to use Cardiff is for local convenience. Please remember that it is the peoples airport because of purchase by our wonderful politicians who are not wonderful with their business ventures.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"The staff aren't friendly at all"

Unverified | I have flown into and out of Cardiff 4 times this year. Flying back to Ireland can be a real pain. The staff aren't friendly at all. We all realise how important security is. I walk away at times feeling a near criminal. A smile and 'hello' would help. I'm a great believer in "if you don't enjoy your job, move on."
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"No thought for the customer"

Unverified | I know that security staff are there for security purposes but they should be able to treat their clients with respect and courtesy. In Cardiff they do not. The restaurant/pub in Cardiff Airport is terrible. It is overpriced and the food is served on what appears to be second hand army ration plates. There is no choice for those with Wheat allergies. You also have to travel through the 'Duty Free' and your path is impeded with displays. No thought for the customer just sell, sell, sell. If Cardiff Airport was not our nearest airport there is no way we would use it.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"airport security staff are unbelievably bad"

Unverified | The airport security staff are unbelievably bad. The man receiving hurried everyone to the point of annoyance, repeating the same instructions over and again without a moment to actually comply. Then the special screening person tossed everything from my bag into a box for rescanning and swabbing but without any thought whatsoever - is that receipt really a danger? That piece of A4 paper? Then the derisory offer to repack it. Give me a break. This was compounded by the exit from security being through a duty free shop that had placed product holders directly in the middle of the walkway, making it look like there was no clear way through to the departure lounge. Finally the Beer House airside restaurant - dreadful. Avoid at all costs. Expensive, dirty, bad service, terrible food. The final straw was a check-in clerk telling people with perfectly normal carry-on luggage that he would delete their boarding passes if they did not pay a ludicrous fee for hold luggage for being 2cm over the length limit. Honestly, what do they train these people to do, create bad service? I travel for business twice a week, never been through an airport this bad in 10 years. It is a job creation scheme for people who don't care, because they know most people don't travel enough to know any better. Never again.
Date VisitJuly 2017