Canberra Airport

Review by (United Kingdom) 17th March 2015

Just a breeze to navigate. Spacious clean low stress. Good views of runway and stands. Limited shopping/food options. Security not highly automated (a lot of manual pushing and shoving of trays).

Review by (United Kingdom) 20th November 2014

Very large airport for flights it handles check in easy airside facilities rather limited for a brand new terminal.

Review by (Australia) 17th July 2014

My word the new terminal has capacity that won't be needed in Canberra for 50 years! And I think I saw a sign predicting another new terminal on the DFO side that would just be ridiculous. So it's great for passengers at the moment - huge amount of space short queues for everything lots of road access and parking great views of the runway good lounges. Perhaps the increase in size has made it less clear where to go for things like taxis and hire cars and I don't think they've finished all the signage yet.

Review by (Australia) 27th May 2012

Compared to the poor and cramped small terminal that used to be here the newly built terminal has fresh and airy conditions and quite good facilities. However an annoying issue is that now Canberra Airport's Terminal managers have decided to play terribly loud music through the main buildings. Why on earth this decision has been made is beyond me - it certainly doesn't fit the style of the average passenger passing through this terminal. Indeed its enough to make me try avoid this terminal and make a point of not buying anything from the commercial outlets. Otherwise drop-off and check-in facilities are good security is efficient and air-bridges and staff appear mostly efficient.

Review by (Australia) 7th May 2012

The new terminal is a revelation compared to the old cramped terminal. Bright and airy easy check-in excellent club lounges bright gate waiting areas easy boarding this is the way an airport should be. Only hassle at the moment is the location of the taxi stand but once the whole airport redevelopment is finished this will not be a problem.

Review by (Australia) 14th August 2011

The New Canberra airport is much improved on the old one. The nation's capital finally has a decent airport. Easy check-in area good airline lounges easy boarding process. very impressed.

Review by 17th December 2010

Landed in Canberra from Melbourne on Qantas and taxied in to the new Canberra Airport Terminal. I was told only departure lounges for Virgin Blue and Tiger airways were still in use in the old terminal however all airlines had check-in and baggage claims in the new terminal. A magnificent improvement from the glass aerobridges to the large glass panes that covered the walls of the terminal. Larger Shops as well as a conveniently located coffee shop were also noted. There was a much larger seating capacity than previously. On the exterior the terminal was extremely fancy and had newly implemented elevated roads to the departures level. All in all a superb terminal with fancy design extravagant interiors and modern facilities.

Review by 13th March 2009

Day return from Sydney - only had hand luggage so straight off plane (airbridge) and into terminal. Bus fare seemed reasonable ($9 one way $15 return) but I wasn't aware until told by a policeman in the terminal that it was a public holiday so bus service to town was infrequent. He told me where to find the bus stop (easy enough) but there was no timetable! I got a taxi instead. Departure was rather more troublesome - I had checked in for both flights in Sydney so didn't need the check-in facilities at CBR but finding a seat that was out of the quite fierce sun was rather difficult. Food prices were also high ($6.50 for two sandwiches $3.50 for a small bottle of soft drink). Then when I went through the scanner for security everything I was wearing set it off! I had to take off my belt then my shoes but it still beeped because I have metal pins in my feet. When I asked why I had not had any similar problem at SYD I was told "our scanner is more sensitive!" Way too sensitive is more like it. No airbridge this time - just a very short walk to the plane. It seems a nice enough airport but I have to deduct points for no bus timetable security and the over-priced food.
/10

Review by 26th January 2007

Checked in for my Qantas flight with Quickcheck which was very efficient. Then a short trip to the bag drop counter and we were on our way up the escalators to the gate lounge. Hardly anyone around and we were surprised that there weren't any kiosks or cafes to grab something at. However there was plenty of seating. I'm told that the Virgin area has a bit more activity as well as a cafe or two. You'd hope this little airport doesn't become a MEL or a SYD anytime soon.
/10

Review by 7th September 2006

Flew into Canberra on Virgin at 8.40am on a wet Friday morning 25/8. Virgin uses common user area and was only flight there. Bags off very quickly as lightly loaded flight and majority of passengers only had hand luggage. Rental car desks easy to locate and terminal well sign posted . About a 200m walk to rental car area mainly under cover. Arrival was all in all quick and efficient. Noted signs and announcements for bus service to city centre $7 one way or $12 return with service every half hour is quite good. Departure again very easy as not many Virgin flights in and out of Canberra. Warning - Check gate number carefully as Qantas use seperate departure area from others and they are not connected! Why they dont connect them is beyond me as it would save money by not having to double up on security staff and shop staff! Bar/snack counter in Common user area doesn't open until one hour before flight so if you are early stay landside if you want to eat or drink!. Terminal clean and bright with good view of apron area. Canberra is an efficient airport coping well with its current number of pasengers.