Calgary Airport

"final product this disfunctional"

Trip Verified | Unbelievable in this day and age with all the fantastic airport examples in the world that Calgary ended up with a final product this disfunctional. Ridiculous distances between connections. Signage is poor and confusing. Barely time to stop for anything to buy even with a reasonable connection time. Customs was an absolute confusing mess last time through from the US, even with Nexus. I live in BC and often connected through the Calgary hub over the years to save time in the air travelling east. My advice for Bc residents connecting is go through Vancouver. That will be my first choice from now on until Calgary figures out how to make things better

"Wake up YYC Airport!"

Not Verified | This is the absolute worst airport I have ever been through for security. I live in Calgary and have Nexus and Gobal Entry which doesn’t matter at this airport. It is absolute chaos! They ask you to put your laptop in a bin and off it goes then another bin for purse and shoes. Getting to the other end there are 15 Apple laptops and people are just picking up random laptops. Every time I come through the new international terminal I ask why do they not respect Nexus and have a separate line and I get some clever response from one of the rude security people. Wake up YYC Airport!

"Very impressed"

Trip Verified | Nice airport. Very impressed that they have named the people managing vehicle traffic as ambassadors. Particularly good experience one staff member who was polite, engaging, respectful of the circumstances of passengers being picked up. Great employee!

"It was absolute chaos"

Trip Verified | YYC's new terminal is not up to par considering it was just built. The multiple gates leaving from one area is confusing if there are two flights going ahead of you as the screen doesn't show your gate (this happened the last time I was there). Also, a message was playing over the PA system for another flight at the gate as our flight was trying to board, the flight attendant had to walk out and scream over the announcement for the other flight to get zones coming up. It was absolute chaos. The area is also only equipped with about 8 outlets on one row of double sided seats. For the large area and multiple flights it is completely inadequate and passengers who all use their phones constantly were frustrated. I could understand if this was an older area, but newly purpose built is another story. The food options in this end are limited. There is a small stand with chips, drinks and the usual and the sit down bistro by the C gates has a small menu of foods. I was right by the kitchen and couldn't hear anything but microwave buttons so I asked before I ordered about one of the items I was interested in and they said it was microwaved. I don't know about all the options. I opted for the Soup, it was ok. Good point about this bistro is almost every table has a stand with usb chargers. Staff were friendly as well. Airport staff were friendly.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"tremendous inefficiency"

Not Verified | Easily the worst large airport in the country. Total confusion and long delays always in security. Huge walks to get to gates due to poor layout. Outdoor tarmac walks in brutal weather. No direction on confusing gate locations. Nexus line waits behind other non pre screened passengers. Why does Calgary refuse to participate in the pre-screening of airline travellers? Tremendous inefficiency at one of the handful of Canadian airports that in theory supports the program. Clearly untrained staff. Why does screening take so long if few of these employees have a clue? Just let everyone through with a wave. We pay an airport improvement fee? For what?
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"need a lot of time to make a connection"

(Cayman Islands)

Trip Verified | Air Canada booked me on a flight from Edmonton to Calgary on AC8149, with a connection to Chicago on AC4022. Bags were ticketed to Chicago, but they only issued tickets to Calgary and said that it was a United flight US5656 to Chicago and they would issue the tickets in Calgary. I got to Calgary, very long long run to the exit and United check in, and they had already closed the flight and gone (one hour before departure). No flight, no bags no airline staff in Calgary, airport hotel stay, left next morning early on United but no bags at Chicago. Missed Cayman connection, another airport stay and one week later still no bags from United or Air Canada. You need a lot of time to make a connection at Calgary, and check that Air Canada are not selling you a code share flight. Never again!
Date VisitDecember 2017

"kind, welcoming and very funny"

Trip Verified | At the moment it’s xmas eve and I’m sitting in the Calgary airport waiting for my flight. This is a good thing! My family is in Kamloops and I was travelling a long way to make this flight but unfortunately I missed it. A staff member at customer service was kind, welcoming and very funny! She got me on the next available flight to Kelowna where my mom will eventually pick me up and get me home for the holidays. I have a very small window to see my family and it means a lot to me that you guys made this happen. Thanks again Westjet for your hospitality as well as your customer service!
Date VisitMay 2017

"what a nightmare"

Trip Verified | I travel through YYC about two or three times a month. I most often travel Westjet and was happy with the old A terminal. It was compact and easy to change aircraft. Then came the new construction and what a nightmare. It takes forever to change planes, long walks, poor signage, stark white walls and a big lack of services. It went from a nice airport to one I try to avoid. I pick Edmonton any time I can over Calgary now. Tonight I am sitting at C72 With no place to buy a coffee and a weird layout that clearly is not understood by many travellers. Too bad but this is an airport to avoid.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"Poor customer service"

Unverified | My gate was changed from A19 at one end of the airport, to gate C70 at the other end of the airport. No announcement was made where we could hear it, ended up missing our flight. On top of this, the Westjet staff blamed me for missing the flight! I waited for 3 hours at the wrong end of the airport for my flight, and then I was blamed for “not paying attention”! This is crazy, they need louder announcements in this airport. I never heard one announcement about our flight. Poor customer service.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"walk was really long"

Unverified | Arrived on United on Oct 27. My first time at the new terminal. Will never arrive at this terminal again. Will go through Toronto. The walk was really long. Fortunately we met someone with a golf cart. If you have any disabilities, good luck getting to customs as there was only one cart.
Date VisitOctober 2017