Calgary Airport

"It was absolute chaos"

Trip Verified | YYC's new terminal is not up to par considering it was just built. The multiple gates leaving from one area is confusing if there are two flights going ahead of you as the screen doesn't show your gate (this happened the last time I was there). Also, a message was playing over the PA system for another flight at the gate as our flight was trying to board, the flight attendant had to walk out and scream over the announcement for the other flight to get zones coming up. It was absolute chaos. The area is also only equipped with about 8 outlets on one row of double sided seats. For the large area and multiple flights it is completely inadequate and passengers who all use their phones constantly were frustrated. I could understand if this was an older area, but newly purpose built is another story. The food options in this end are limited. There is a small stand with chips, drinks and the usual and the sit down bistro by the C gates has a small menu of foods. I was right by the kitchen and couldn't hear anything but microwave buttons so I asked before I ordered about one of the items I was interested in and they said it was microwaved. I don't know about all the options. I opted for the Soup, it was ok. Good point about this bistro is almost every table has a stand with usb chargers. Staff were friendly as well. Airport staff were friendly.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"tremendous inefficiency"

Not Verified | Easily the worst large airport in the country. Total confusion and long delays always in security. Huge walks to get to gates due to poor layout. Outdoor tarmac walks in brutal weather. No direction on confusing gate locations. Nexus line waits behind other non pre screened passengers. Why does Calgary refuse to participate in the pre-screening of airline travellers? Tremendous inefficiency at one of the handful of Canadian airports that in theory supports the program. Clearly untrained staff. Why does screening take so long if few of these employees have a clue? Just let everyone through with a wave. We pay an airport improvement fee? For what?
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"need a lot of time to make a connection"

(Cayman Islands)

Trip Verified | Air Canada booked me on a flight from Edmonton to Calgary on AC8149, with a connection to Chicago on AC4022. Bags were ticketed to Chicago, but they only issued tickets to Calgary and said that it was a United flight US5656 to Chicago and they would issue the tickets in Calgary. I got to Calgary, very long long run to the exit and United check in, and they had already closed the flight and gone (one hour before departure). No flight, no bags no airline staff in Calgary, airport hotel stay, left next morning early on United but no bags at Chicago. Missed Cayman connection, another airport stay and one week later still no bags from United or Air Canada. You need a lot of time to make a connection at Calgary, and check that Air Canada are not selling you a code share flight. Never again!
Date VisitDecember 2017

"kind, welcoming and very funny"

Trip Verified | At the moment it’s xmas eve and I’m sitting in the Calgary airport waiting for my flight. This is a good thing! My family is in Kamloops and I was travelling a long way to make this flight but unfortunately I missed it. A staff member at customer service was kind, welcoming and very funny! She got me on the next available flight to Kelowna where my mom will eventually pick me up and get me home for the holidays. I have a very small window to see my family and it means a lot to me that you guys made this happen. Thanks again Westjet for your hospitality as well as your customer service!
Date VisitMay 2017

"what a nightmare"

Trip Verified | I travel through YYC about two or three times a month. I most often travel Westjet and was happy with the old A terminal. It was compact and easy to change aircraft. Then came the new construction and what a nightmare. It takes forever to change planes, long walks, poor signage, stark white walls and a big lack of services. It went from a nice airport to one I try to avoid. I pick Edmonton any time I can over Calgary now. Tonight I am sitting at C72 With no place to buy a coffee and a weird layout that clearly is not understood by many travellers. Too bad but this is an airport to avoid.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"Poor customer service"

Unverified | My gate was changed from A19 at one end of the airport, to gate C70 at the other end of the airport. No announcement was made where we could hear it, ended up missing our flight. On top of this, the Westjet staff blamed me for missing the flight! I waited for 3 hours at the wrong end of the airport for my flight, and then I was blamed for “not paying attention”! This is crazy, they need louder announcements in this airport. I never heard one announcement about our flight. Poor customer service.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"walk was really long"

Unverified | Arrived on United on Oct 27. My first time at the new terminal. Will never arrive at this terminal again. Will go through Toronto. The walk was really long. Fortunately we met someone with a golf cart. If you have any disabilities, good luck getting to customs as there was only one cart.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"Will try to avoid YYC in future"

Unverified | Landed in the A tarmac area. I had asked for assistance due to connection. Taken to where the shuttle goes. There is still a walk to the US security from there. Terrible setup. However I did not have a wait at either security or US pre clearance which surprised me. After going through the duty free maze you enter a waiting area. Restaurants are not great. My gate was nearby so no worries but not much seating there. Coming back from USA it is a long ugly passage then usual customs. However now you don't need to pick up your bag it is checked through. Restaurants apart from food court in domestic - 2 - Chilis had those high seats and was crowded. Reminds me of Reykjavik which is even worse at gate area. Not a fan of this European system of common waiting area. Will try to avoid YYC in future.

"kid unfriendly transfer"

Verified Review | Absolutely kid unfriendly transfer security process. We had a connecting flight in Calgary, had to pick up our bags because we were transferring from international to local airline. Bags barely arrived in time to make our connection. To make matters worse in order to go to transfer flights you have to leave secure area and go through check in and security screening again. Then they give you trouble about anything you brought from your previous flight. They gave us trouble about water we had for our 3 year old. Apparently we can't throw it out after x ray, can't drink it. You can only leave the secure area and pour the water there and come through security again. Attending security staff absolutely unhelpful.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"the poorest I have encountered"

Verified Review | I have been in over 50 airports all over the world in the past 10 years and this is the poorest I have encountered. From the Westjet dungeon to boarding their domestic flights to the available restaurants. For a city the size of Calgary this is unbelievable.