Calgary Airport

Review by (Canada) 17th September 2014

I can't believe that it took me 45 minutes to get through one domestic security line-up! Good thing I gave myself 3 hours allowance to fly domestic. I have never seen such a slow security check. There were 5 lines but only two were operational and one of them was for Nexus. However there were at least 6 personnel being trained on the functioning machines and so many other personnel hovering around. When my husband asked why it's taking so long the staff said no it's not taking long and one personnel said that everyone came together all of a sudden. I don't think this airport is equipped to handle massive amounts of passengers. Then my husband's backpack was searched for the hand scale that he had in his bag. Meanwhile I had the same hand scale in my backpack and my bag was not searched. Such inconsistencies and inefficiencies. I travel around the world frequently and I have not seen such slow-paced and inconsistent security check point.

Review by (Canada) 29th July 2014

This Airport is an airport that supports your needs. Food was great and staff were helpful. The signage was helpful in guiding us to the correct area for check-in and I don't have to keep asking every single staff member I meet to ask "Where is ..." Departure: Once past check-in you can enjoy views of the aircraft or eat or if you are late go to security. Once there you go past like a breeze (Full Queen = 10-15 Min. wait time). After that there are shops offering travel comforts (e.g. Headphones Neck rests pillows toothbrushes etc.) and coffee shops are there. US pre-clearance is also good and takes ~5 min. per person (if you are a normal traveler). The US pre-clearance features shops. Arrivals: After you arrive head up the stairs wait ~20 min. on average and you are out of there.

Review by (Canada) 17th July 2014

While the US-Transborder areas are atrocious for food options and lounges the airport as a whole is not bad. Checking in is easy (usually) and is made easier if you are elite security has long queues through the transborder checkpoint but this is resolved by using the NEXUS lane (if you have one) (it is a great investment) and that brings me to Customs and Immigration. The CBSA hall is quite a trek from your arrival gate but it isn't as bad as LHR T2. Once at the checkpoint the officers are polite and if you have NEXUS you can be out of customs in 2 mins. Going through US CBP on the way to the US takes a bit longer though agents are generally polite and expedient. Back to NEXUS (there's a theme forming here). If you apply and get accepted you also get Global Entry benefits for US CBP so if you have it US CBP is also 2 mins. Sorry for skipping around here but the gate area for domestic flights (Concourses A and D) is big enough to find something to eat and somewhere to eat it and also has Lounges if you are so inclined. Transborder; (Concourse C) Is another story. It has very limited food options due to the opening and closing of gates for transborder traffic (if you've travelled through YYC you know what I mean) restrooms are few and far between and there is only one (paid entry) lounge which is nice for getting to the airport early but it is really not worth it. I guess a suitable end to this review is Baggage and well the few times I have checked a bag at YYC it has been about a 5-15 min wait domestically and 30-45 mins for international arrivals. I'm truly shocked if you're still reading at this point but in conclusion; most of the gripes I have about lines and food options should be solved in October 2105 when the IFP opens.

Review by (United Kingdom) 5th May 2014

Have been through Calgary airport several times in transit from UK. It has never been good but last October very poor. I could not believe the surly robotic attitude of the security staff. If this is the welcoming face of Canada to visitors I wouldn't plan on increased tourism. This time as I write having just missed my connecting flight by minutes because the ground crew spent over 20 minutes connecting the bridge to deplane from my UK flight. Again miserable faced security and after 17hours travelling I can't even relax with a smoke without exiting the airport and facing the happy crew again to get back in. Regrettably I am due to transit through this Mickey mouse airport again this year but I will make efforts to change to Vancouver. Avoid this place if possible.

Review by (Canada) 27th March 2014

The walk from your international flight to customs is excessive. I can normally handle some walking but this is awful. I need to stop numerous times just to rest. Every time I come through Calgary customs I swear I won't travel again but after a few months pass I gear myself up for the walk. May consider asking for a wheelchair next time. Will this improve with the new addition?

Review by (United States) 17th March 2014

Going through customs takes about an hour then you get to security! Which takes an hour. Above all that you have to verify your passport at the gate. Now you get to the gate and decide you're hungry. You walk past your gate and see a nice looking sandwich shop and a couple of shops behind a glass wall however there is no door to get to them. If we can't go to some wing of the airport don't show us! Avoid this airport at any cost.

Review by (Canada) 5th March 2014

The slowest airport! To go through US custom declaration it takes about 2.5 hrs. Domestic security check takes about 40 min. The security staff are rude and disrespectful. If you have been to Las Vegas expect a full search and invasion of privacy. Airport parking is by far the most expensive in North America.

Review by (Canada) 20th October 2013

Calgary Airport: first you have to walk several minutes to get to customs. It is usually a different route with a variety of hallways. Then you wait for your bags for 40 minutes. The sign of course tells you that your bags will be 4 minutes. Eventually the explanation provided is that there is only 1 ground crew. Surely planes are scheduled and that bags will be on the plane can be anticipated. This is a business run it as one and not as a government entity where there is simply no responsibility.

Review by (United Kingdom) 1st August 2013

I have been going to Calgary airport for many years because I lived in the nearby city Lethbridge and I have had excellent service with this airport. The toilets are cleaned every 1 hour and they are well cleaned and the airport itself has easy access for the disabled.

Review by (United States) 1st July 2013

The airport was very clean but the food that was available was not so good. It was very nice to have the Spaceport so the kids can play. Overall this was a very good airport.