Calgary Airport

"aggressive and invasive security check"

Verified Review | I travel the world and I have never experienced a more aggressive and invasive security check as I just experienced at the Calgary airport. This woman went through my suitcase, purse, carry on bag and made me take my iPad and phone out of their cases. After all this, I still had to put everything through the scanner. Perfect example of giving small minded people too much power. Unbelievable.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"It is a brand new nightmare"

Verified Review | Avoid this airport if you have the least bit of difficulty walking. It is a brand new nightmare. Arrived this morning 7/25/17, after car rental drop off, waited approx 15 min for a cart to assist us to United ticketing which is 10 miles away! No help arrived. After 20 min a kind volunteer said they were all in a meeting which at 10.45 I still did not see a moving cart. Husband is on oxygen and has breathing problems. We were ticketed First Class with United so we proceeded to the only lounge in this pretty good size airport. United directed us to Aspire, only to be told ASPIRE do not contract with United &, it is a private lounge. No admittance. It was literally downhill from there. By that I mean I found a wheelchair & proceeded to Gate 95 which is another 10 miles downhill. Once you pass YYC food courts and "exclusive shops" there are no food service kiosk near gates. Nor does YYC post a sign stating this & Good luck finding charging stations. All in all even though the building is new many many improvements need to be addressed.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"Be prepared to walk"

Verified Review | Positive - beautiful environment, looks quite new and well maintained. To be improved Note: the very bad overall review is mainly due to the first comment below. Aside from that, it has the potential to be a very good airport. Be prepared to walk: infinite corridors, with no automated walkway. On arrival, from the US, from gate to immigration 20 min walk, then from exit to rental car location, 20 min. And I'm fit enough to do long walks. Plan for long walks. Same thing on departure. Some Electric vehicle with drivers available. Would like to understand why the architect designed such a bad configuration for people flow. - waited 40 min on arrival to get luggages (on top of the 20 min walk to get to the baggage claim area). No delay for me at immigration. Not a lot of seating in the departure area. Electrical plugs very limited.
Date VisitJune 2017

"lack of organization/co-ordination"

There are big staffing and organizational/co-ordination problems currently going on at this airport. Arriving on WestJet, there was a delay of 20 minutes to find someone to lower the jetway. Although this delayed all passengers from disembarking after a 4 hour flight, that's a new one in my 47 years of air travel. Then, having a walking disability, there was difficulty and confusion in recognizing where to go for the golf cart or wheelchair assistance pre-arranged with WestJet. Two days later, after checking in for my return flight, there was no attendant at the Air Canada special services counter to coordinate the wheelchair assistance. Some AC staff passing by did inquire and got on the phone but others had a "not my job" attitude. In the end it took about 45 minutes to get moving through security. In conclusion, I refuse to accept that these service problems are due to the construction taking place, but rather problems that have arisen from being short of airport/airline staff at Calgary airport and the lack of organization/coordination of staff that are on duty. Furthermore, assistance for disabled passengers (driving of golf carts; pushing of wheelchairs) should be carried out by third party contractors (as occurring at many other international airports) and not be the duty of airline employees. In my experience, this works better. Good luck Calgary airport, I hope you can work out the bugs.

"Lack of clear signage"

Lack of clear signage. Not nearly enough plug ins around gate 70 in particular for a billion dollar upgrade. Not much for food courts. Have been flying in and out of Calgary for 35 years on business and pleasure. This was not a very well thought out expansion.

"Lack of clear signage"

Lack of clear signage. Not nearly enough plug ins around gate 70 in particular for a billion dollar upgrade. Not much for food courts. Have been flying in and out of calgary for 35 years on business and pleasure. This was not a very well thought out expansion.
Date VisitMay 2017

"security screening so disorganized"

New airport terminal at Calgary is still a nightmare. We flew out in November and it was horrendous. This time a little better. Security screening so disorganized. We are TSA-precleared and also Nexus. We were told to go to the front of the line but so was everyone else who was Nexus and people coming after us wanted to push in in front. There is just no clear proceedure. And one of the people working with the screening was in such a bad mood that she was yelling at people telling them to move their stuff. Not a great way to start the day. If you can't be pleasant at 4am you shouldn't work there. Still have to walk through the Duty Free mall but this time weren't accosted by sales people. Still allergic to all the perfume and there is a by-pass door but is only available to employees.
Date VisitApril 2017

"Incredible long distances everywhere"

I hate this airport. Incredible long distances everywhere. Signage is dismal. Arrows point in different directions. I came in on B terminals no signs for E terminal until half way through airport. Cleared American customs and ended up in duty free shop. No signage for gate had to make a turn through narrow aisles. I think this terminal was designed by a mall designer who wants to make people walk as far as possible past as many stores as possible. This electronic sign gate was for a different airline and different destination. What a mess.

"brand new and stunning"

Verified Review | Landed in Calgary Airport at 3:19pm. Was through immigration, baggage retrieval and customs at 3:36pm. Very impressed. The airport is brand new and stunning. Whoever designed and built this airport should be very pleased. Felt very welcoming, a great representation for Canada.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"what a mess at that airport"

We landed in Calgary from Mexico on Saturday, what a mess at that airport. We proceeded to pick up our luggage and go through Customs then we were directed to go through security. There was only one line open, we must of been close to 80-100 inline it took us 1 hour by the time we got our luggage and to get through security. This is unacceptable considering Calgary Airport think they are the newest state of the art airport. And also on our way to Mexico we landed in Calgary, well they don't have enough seats at the gate so therefore people walk around trying to find a seat and then when its time to board it takes forever as people are not at the gate (unless you want to sit on the floor). I will never fly through Calgary again, I will do any other airport before having a layover in Calgary. Everyone in line at security was complaining, and one of the big hold up was they were screening all the seniors going through one by one, well we all know that lots of seniors have had hip and knee replacements and will beep going though. It was so disorganized I could write a lot more. What a joke for an airport.