Best Cabin Crew

Calcutta Airport

"quick and hassle free"

I used this airport twice over the last two weeks. Given the few international flights, the international section was uncrowded. Immigration was quick and hassle free. Security check too was smooth - no need to take off shoes or belts or jackets or pull out toiletries. The business class lounge is used by all the airlines and it is a quiet place with a buffet of Indian and Bengali foods and a tended bar. Limited number of shops and even limited number of eating places. There is a duty free liquor shop just after exiting customs and before exiting the airport with a good selection of whiskeys at prices markedly cheaper than in the city. All in all, a functional airport that is easy to use with only essential facilities.
Date VisitOctober 2015

Calcutta Airport customer review

Calcutta Airport has come up to speed in the recent years and it's about time too! I only used to fly into CCU because it was the closest International Airport to Orissa and cut my journey time by a day. However it was always a tiring and bothersome task fighting my way through the immigration and baggage handling policies they seemed to practice - slow slower and at one stage stop! Flying in wasn't too bad - on a good day I could be off the plane and in a taxi within the hour (depending on the carrier). However departing from CCU was a chore - Immigration then check your baggage tags to bags then Passport Control then a small tussle with Security and Baggage Check then finally the (what seemed like a mile) hike to the plane! However those days are gone if you fly in with BA - they insisted on a proper Gate being constructed and it is now up and running! Much to my delight it's just a hop and a skip to the plane and then you're on your way. Yes you still have to grapple with Security and Passport Control but the last three times I have flown into/out of CCU I have been spared the ordeal of searching for my bags and tallying them up with my ticket tags.