Budapest Ferihegy Airport

"Worst airport in the world"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Queuing for boarding in a sort of hangar, some 400 people with no air conditioning, temp 29C outside, inside maybe 35C. Worst airport in the world including underdeveloped countries.
Date VisitJune 2018

"just slow paced staff"

Trip Verified | We arrived two hours before departure, having been held up in traffic. When we entered the check in area we had to walk through a queue which extended the whole length of the check in area. This was a queue to go through to security. We went into our check in line and the process was very slow to check us - just slow paced staff. We then turned about and found that the queue to get through to the security area was even longer now having started to double back on itself! We queued for an hour before we got through security and by that time we had 45 minutes before our flight took off, and our flight had been called for boarding. It was as well that we decided to go to the gate rather than spend any time in the departure lounge because when we turned a corner we encountered a passport control barrier. When we got past this barrier we got down to our gate and went straight out onto the bus to board our plane. If we had been any later getting to the airport we would have missed our flight - very stressful. Moral of the story - make sure you get to the airport three hours before departure.
Date VisitJune 2018

"have never seen anything like this"

Trip Verified | Wow, what a hot mess of an airport. No information displays on the monitors until the last minute then you must scramble to the counter dodging fellow passengers to check in your luggage. I can verify what others are reporting here about the staff being rude. The will literally scream (not raise thier voice) but scream at you and others in Hungarian while mixing in a few personal insults as they assume you don't understand them. I have never seen anything like this anywhere and am shocked by the total lack of professionalism. It's like they are disgruntled teens working at a fast food place. Not what you expect from an adult staff at the airport. They just seem so unhappy with life in general. The job was just the tip of the iceberg. Go find a job that makes you happy! Then there is the total lack of organization. They have priority express lines at the checkpoint that you can pay to have access to but no one pays as travelers who are more familiar with how disorganized the staff is will simply jump into that line when no one is looking. I literally saw someone secretly motion to me to do the same and join them. I had a good laugh at the but this is what we have as an airport in Budapest. Significant improvements needed here guys. You can do better than this.
Date VisitMay 2018

"rudeness of the staff"

(Romania)

Trip Verified | The only reason I'm choosing this airport is for the variety of flights from Budapest. Otherwise, there is nothing that makes me recommend it, and it's a shame that such a nice city as Budapest, has this kind of airport. The worst thing about this airport is the rudeness of the staff, which honestly I don't understand in any way. Recovery of luggage it is another black mark against them, besides the fact that you wait to long for the luggage, you may be also be mislead by the screens showing the pick up line. They show one line, and deliver to another one. There are many other points, such as cleanliness of toilets, seats comfort etc.. but there is too much to write. Resuming, if it was not for the different flight options, I wouldn't have recommended the airport.
Date VisitApril 2018

"ashamed of this airport"

(Hungary)

Not Verified | I'm ashamed of this airport. I’m Hungarian. I would like to apologize to all those who use this airport. You want to pick up your luggage, but you have to wait half an hour. Why? I hope, that your luggage will arrive safe. If you see any damage to your luggage, check it out and report it to the office! Then you want a trolley for your luggage. This is not free, and the airport charge is very high. I use to say: hey guys, you have to raise the price by 1 Euro if you need this money so much, don’t make trouble for other people who just arrived from a faraway country. Even me, I don’t have 1 Euro in my pocket when I travel home. Then you might want to get to city by public transport. The price of the ticket is 300.- Huf, if you buy 10 pieces (you will need them). If you take 1, then it costs 350.- Huf. I was totally surprised, when they wanted to sell a ticket for 950.-Huf in the office. They created a bus service, which goes directly to Deák Ferenc square, the central of Budapest, and they charge it 950.- Huf. It is very slow, and overpriced. Better take a bus to Kőbánya Kispest for 300.- Huf, then take the metro (it costs another 300.- Huf) to Deák Ferenc square. You will reach the central before the overpriced bus.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"Just your average puny airport"

(Hungary)

Not Verified | Just your average puny airport that's supposed to serve a capital! Tiny airport with half the gates not supporting arrivals, so you have to take a bus to the arrivals section. The food court is average for its size. Just an average airport and not a great one. The staff are not good, many are unwilling to help or try to help.

"airport is very clean"

(Hungary)

Not Verified | I am living in Budapest for 2 years and at the time of writing this review, I am going through my 2nd year. The airport is very clean and large enough for the demand it gets (which is not a lot). If you are traveling via a budget airline get ready to put on your coat because you're going outside. You walk through the terminal and eventually get to this walkway that leads you outside. All that is protecting you from the occasionally harsh weather is a thin metal roof with supports holding it up and a fence so you cant wander off. Then you get to a concrete box
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"easy to find where to go"

(Sweden)

Not Verified | It’s a nice airport - clean and easy to find where to go. However, the staff are quite rude. Especially at the foodcourts. For example, my boyfriend bought a sandwich at upper crust. His bread was totally stale and when he went to tell the people working there to ask for a new one they just laughed in his face, warmed it up so it got all soggy and kinda threw the sandwich back at him while continuously laughing amongst themselves and pointing. When I asked if I could change a sandich since including alleric to dairy and don’t eat meat they also laughed and told me to go order somewhere else and walked away. Not really what I call service.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

" Direction signs are clear"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Best Airport in Eastern Europe! Not too big, not too small. You can find your way easily to everywhere. Direction signs are clear. The whole building makes a very clean and proper impression. For thre first time in my life I did not feel the stressy and hectic way of work here, which is so typical in Western Europe. Staff still smile here from the heart!
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"there is a significant room for improvement"

(Hungary)

Trip Verified | I am using the airport about 45-50 times a year. Departing from there, arriving there both in economy and business levels. Generally speaking the airport and its "service areas" are very small, and there is a significant room for improvement, however my biggest concern is theft from checked-in bags! 1) Many rude staff during the airport process, does not matter if that is departure or arrival. 2) At Terminal 2B, basically there are 2 peak periods a day in terms of arrival rush hour, and every single time there is a significant waiting time at passport control area, because out of 10 boxes, there are an average of 4 officers there at a time. 3) Baggage belts are extremely small, means: only a limited amount of bags can be loaded to a belt at a time. Until people queuing at the passport control, others cannot have their bags, since it is not possible to load it. So one problem generates the other. 4) At check-in the number of security gates and number of staff is not enough for the increasing passenger demand. 5) The toilets are horrible! Small, dirty and smelly, does not matter if those are inside or outside the inner check-in or transit area. 6) Theft is a known issue. Both middle and both upper management know about it, but neither level does anything against it. 6) Passengers are blamed, about why they bring valuable things with them which is clearly unacceptable in Europe, in the 21st century! 7) Both the airport and the Hungarian authorites prohibit drones in the carry on. I'm a traveler and I want to take my equipment with me for photography purposes, but with the previously described situation, it is far from reasonable to put a several thousand dollar/euro equipment into the checked-in bag, which will most probably be destroyed or gone! Unfortunately, this airport tends to be the shame of the nation, so it would be about time to do something about it.
Date VisitJanuary 2018