Airline of the Year

Boston Logan Airport

"horrible, inexcusable delays"

Unverified | I have never found Logan Airport to be efficient or well-run. It's runway renovations are causing horrible, inexcusable delays. I am sitting on a Dallas runway waiting to take off to Boston on a Sunday morning and we have already been delayed twice. Three weeks ago, I experienced a six hour delay due to this same thing. I am going to start driving to RI or other airports rather than waste time trying to use Logan. Colleagues of mine in Boston are also doing the same.
Date VisitJune 2017

"security very slow, badly organised"

I flew from Boston Logan a few weeks ago on my own. Getting into the airport is good - traffic was well organised and I parked easily. This was the only good comment I can make. Security / bag check must be the worst airport I have travelled through. Very slow, badly organised, unacceptably long queues. Surly unhelpful staff. Extremely poor choice of dining. The usual Fast food (very busy). A restaurant was dingy with long queues. A wine bar looked okay. The staff were overworked but pleasant and trying their best. No food after 9:00. My flight was 22:40. The toilets were smelly. I travelled through again this week. Exactly the same. Send someone to look at Gatwick or Terminal 5 Heathrow to see how it should be done. I gave it 2 due to good parking.
Date VisitApril 2017

"poor customer service"

Verified Review | My wife and I used Boston Logan to fly to Toronto then Japan. We took Air Canada and it's hard to not notice the poor customer service. We had 4 people "working" at our Gate. Three of the ladies gossiped loudly and endlessly about how bad one of their fellow employees was. It's an embarrassment! Needless to say, when we flew to Japan, employees would bow and run to greet us with smiles. They tended to their stations with a high degree of professionalism and exuded politeness and friendliness. What happened to our airports? How bad have we lowered our standards? What ever happened to customer service and a respect for the position? Furthermore, these "workers" are the first impression people from other countries are greeted with when they come to the United States-can't we do better?
Date VisitMarch 2017

"lots of additional seating"

The queue at immigration on arrival was terrible - 90 minutes. However, my departure experience was very good. I was pleased to see that the E gates area has been upgraded, with lots of additional seating. Plenty of sockets and USB charging points at the seats and desks to work at if you needed to. I'm surprised that they didn't increase the number of shops and catering outlets at the same time though. Delighted to get free and fast wifi without a time limit - well, I think it might have been 12 hours, but that was plenty!

"troubling and problematic"

Verified Review | I have flown in and out of Boston Logan many times. This was my first international travel in/out of BOS. My experience departing from BOS was smooth and timely. However, my arrival and experience getting through Customs and Immigration upon arrival in BOS was horrible. My flight arrived at approximately the same time as another international flight, as the lines were very long. Customs was understaffed. Upon getting through the automatic booths and the first round of Customs, you enter baggage claim. Here, even if you weren't collecting a checked bag, you had to wait in a single file line that wrapped behind the baggage carousels because Customs officials weren't organized enough to get set up for the number of people coming through. At this point, I was confused whether everyone had to wait in the same line whether or not you had checked luggage, and I asked two airport workers and neither could answer my questions, which was very frustrating. As the long line finally progressed (slowly because there was only one person taking the forms from us), one Customs official yelled at me for using my phone even though I wasn't at the booth and (I would like to emphasize) there are no signs saying you cannot use your phone in that section. The Customs official was just completely unnecessarily harsh and I would have been very happy to hang up if he had asked, but as I said goodbye, he yelled at me a second time, simply stating, "NOW!" On a side note, there was not a single female Customs official working throughout the whole process, and I find that very troubling and problematic.

"I would not use Boston"

Decided to use Boston since Hainan Airlines flies from here. Departure was easy with short immigration and security lines. Took about 30-45 minutes to get thru in Terminal E. Very few shops thereafter, but place was not very busy in mid afternoon. Arrival is a different story, immigration lines were very long. The ESTA system in use, with two counters open. Took one hour plus to get thru. By then, bags were on carousel. Cart provided free, and long custom line next. Fortunately, one of the officer waved us thru a special line with junior sleeping over my shoulders. Conclusion, I would not use Boston thinking it was easier than JFK.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"okay airport to transfer at"

Verified Review | On arrival I started to see how dedicated the airport staff and TSA agents were. I was transferring from American to Westjet and having never been to the airport I didn't have the best idea of what I was up to. Upon approaching staff they made sure I had every ounce of information they could think of to make sure I would be going in the right direction. Talk about outstanding customer service. Being that Boston is right on the great Atlantic almost every variation of food has some form of seafood in it (a plus for me... there's nothing better than a good piece of lobster), but it does tend to be overpriced. There aren't that many shops (at least where my gate was) so it might be a bit underwhelming for the fanatic shopping-passengers. The airport was mostly clean, but the washrooms could have had some more attention paid to them. Overall, Boston is an okay airport to transfer at, the staff are very good at what they do, and although you may get bored, you probably won't have an issue flying through there again.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"employees basically standing around doing nothing"

Security at this airport is grossly inefficient and takes forever. We arrived at the airport two hours prior for a domestic flight. To start with, we were placed in an insanely long line by a TSA agent. Ten minutes later, we were pulled out of that line by another TSA agent and told to go to the back of an even longer line. When we told the agent that another TSA agent had put us in this line, her response was a curt, "I don't care." It took us well over an hour to get through security, then there was another ridiculously long line as they were scanning/checking bags. They had two scanners that were malfunctioning, and a bunch of employees basically standing around doing nothing. With all the security hassles, we barely made our flight with only 3 minutes to spare. All this after we showed up 2 hours beforehand! If you are flying out of this airport, I recommend arriving 3 hours prior if flying domestic, and be prepared for rude, unprofessional employees who constantly contradict one another.
Date VisitOctober 2016

"the security line was absurd"

Verified Review | The security line was absurd. Thankfully the line was not long when I arrived and I purchased extra speed check in through my airline because the TSA folks who were checking the bags in the X-ray machine were slower than I have ever experienced at any airport. There were at least 8 other tsa workers who were not doing anything, and did not assist the sole woman checking the bags. This equated to a 45 minute wait to get through X-ray and obtain my bags. Completely unacceptable. I had to run to my flight to make it as they were announcing my name over the loud speaker. I am lucky my flight waited for me. I am very disappointed in my wait time today and the lack of attention the tsa workers paid to everyone waiting for nothing.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"never had a problem with sufficient airport seating"

Logan has been my home airport since 1980. Pretty much used every terminal. The airport is in a constant metamorphosis. Slowly each terminal is being remodeled, and then again remodeled. It's constrained by limited real estate and traffic patterns much like Washington National. There is is no comparison to the bad old days of 1980 when it was essentially a regional airport. However long one must walk, it's nothing like Philadelphia. I agree that a post-security people-mover type of shuttle between terminals for connecting flights. Boston is not a hub airport. I wouldn't think of making a connecting flight out of Logan. It's only recently they've begun real bona-fide international flights to Europe. Every international flight I've ever taken has me switching in Newark/NY. Many of the comments I've read here are terminal-specific. Services are vastly different from one terminal to the next. Don't broadbrush the whole airport. I've seen TSA shut down their lines when demand is low, but then open right back up when it surges. Seen this at many airports. When it is open, it never, ever takes me more than 5 minutes to get through, worst-case. Restaurant quality and quantity is greatly improved. Cooked food after airport security? Yes, there is, again, depending on the specific terminal. Up until last year, you needed to pay for wireless. That's changed. The inconvenience of 45 minute disconnect is a small price to say. Even still, the Rochester, NY wireless service beats Logan any day. I've never had a problem with airport staff. Be friendly, you'll get it back. Be a jerk, you'll probably get it back. Never had a problem with sufficient airport seating. They are slow to install power connections in or near the seats. Lack of toilets? I've never had a problem and I always must go as soon as I get off.
Date VisitJuly 2016