Top 100 Airlines

Birmingham Airport

"overall, a good experience"

We were last on a Ryanair flight from Birmingham to Alicante. I was dropped off by taxi, by the front entrance. Kindly, the Ryanair desks are located right next to the oversized baggage zone, which is surprising. We were sped through and given our boarding passes, well, the one we had to print off at home thanks to Ryanair's annoying 'Online Check-In' which you have to pay for, but if you forget, you have to pay even more at the desk, to print off your own boarding passes. We went through security and were kindly directed by a man telling me what to do. We sped through that and went to our gate. Annoyingly, the seats were uncomfortable at the waiting area and was crammed. Overall, a good experience at Birmingham International Airport.
Date VisitApril 2016

"everyone looked so miserable"

After spending 4 months in Australia and a week in Dubai we arrived back at Birmingham. The escalator was cordoned off so everyone had to get into line to go down the stairs to passport control. A man was barking orders like arriving in prison. We went through to collect our baggage. This man was still awful and everyone looked so miserable. We waited over an hour for our cases. After travelling round Australia and stopping in Dubai their staff were courteous, friendly and very helpful. I was ashamed to be in Birmingham and was apologising to the people around me. It could have been there first flight into Birmingham and certainly it would be there last. Your staff could certainly do with going to Dubai Airport to see how you treat passengers.
Date VisitApril 2016

"such a shambolic arrival"

Arrived on Emirates A380. I have travelled on this airline and aircraft many times. I have never encountered such a shambolic arrival at any airport, clearly Birmingham are not up to handling this sort of flight. I have flown many times using this airline but always using Heathrow. The staff at Birmingham were clueless, unhelpful and generally miserable. We waited almost an hour just to get to border control, after passing there were not enough trolleys. The ones lucky enough to get one had to pay £1. The baggage was absolute chaos, some were on the carousel, some were just dumped on the floor by the baggage handlers. Took almost 2 hours to get out. Will never travel from this airport again a total awful experience. Feel sorry for Emirates as this airport cannot cope just so clueless. I am a frequent flyer of Emirates but will always use Heathrow in the future as I have in the past at least they can cope with big aircraft and lots of people. Birmingham need to employ more professional staff as the ones I encountered certainly were not.
Date VisitApril 2016

"staff were professional and efficient"

My experience of using Birmingham Airport has been very different from some of the recent reviews listed here. I've used it several times in the last three months for flights to and from Dubai, on both Emirates and Turkish. On each use, whether arriving or departing, queues at departure security and arrival immigration have been virtually non-existent. Perhaps I've been lucky with my arrival and departure times (mid to late afternoon in all cases), but I've been able to speed through normal queues without any problems. This past week I simply walked up to a security scanner with not a single person queuing in front of me. Given that this is the airport for the second-largest city in the UK, the quietness and ease of use of the airport is a real attraction. On a recent weekday arrival on an international flight from Istanbul, I was out of the airport, in our car, and on my way within 30 minutes of landing. Clearly my positive experience is vastly different from some other users writing here, but that positive experience has been consistent. It's not an architecturally exciting airport, but it does the job efficiently enough. Airside facilities aren't particularly exciting, but they're reasonable enough given the size of the airport. The staff at WH Smith seemed to have had special training in how to be as surly and unhelpful as possible, but other staff were professional and efficient.
Date VisitApril 2016

"allow a massive amount of time"

I have had two recent experiences of travelling from Birmingham. The first was a business trip. When I travel business I am usually hand luggage only and allow less time on arrival before my flight. I arrived 1 hour before departure and was horrified to see an enormous queue snaking out from security. I asked one of the staff how long it would take and was reassured 20 minutes. No it was much longer. People were being sent back to take their shoes off and petty things like that. When my own bag went through it was stopped for a safety razor - a safety razor for goodness' sake. As offensive weapons go it is pretty useless and had passed through without a problem at the other airports I have used. This full bag search ensured I missed my flight. I returned with my daughter to go on holiday. This time I allowed 2 hours on account of my last experience and justified it to my daughter that we would be able to have a nice breakfast before take off. Yet again I was wrong. By the time we had checked in our bags and gone through security the flight was on last call. Just to prove it was no coincidence, when we returned we waited about a quarter of an hour before the carousel started to turn. A few bags came round and then it stopped. Meantime I went over to the outsize bags at carousel 1 but no skis. Eventually, some more bags came round and the carousel stopped again. A man came out and hit the emergency stop saying that might allow him to restart it but no. Still no skis at carousel 1. Then a fellow passenger, not a member of staff, shouted that the bags were coming on carousel 2. The display still said carousel 6 but with no staff to ask we followed our fellow passenger and sure enough the bags were coming off there. As I was leaving carousel 6 I saw my skis on the florr there. How they had got there I had no idea. We picked up our last bag 70 minutes after landing. If you are flying from Birmingham allow a massive amount of time to check in but also to collect any hold luggage when you return.
Date VisitMarch 2016

"waited 1.5 hours"

Special assistance booked to assist with embarkation and disembarkation. Waited 1.5 hours on arrival but despite 3 separate contacts, no-one arrived. The contact person said "we're very busy on the other side of the airport", but that meant I did not have much time to visit duty free or to get coffee and something to eat before the flight. Eventually struggled up the escalator and grabbed a cup of tea before boarding the plane. Very disappointed. Return journey nearly as bad. Provided 2 helpers to disembark 7 disabled passengers.

"atrocious experience"

Atrocious experience with my 7 month pregnant wife. We arrived at Birmingham airport 1 hour and 40 minutes before our flight time to be met by scenes of pandemonium. The queue for security was almost 100 yards long as it snaked completely around the departures terminal. I have traveled around the world in both developed and developing countries and I have never before experienced such appalling mismanagement. Multiple security lanes closed, staff completely ignorant to the hundreds of passengers in threat of missing flights. The express lane was a complete waste of money and time. The security guard checking boarding passes in the express lane was also checking passes for families with buggies so both queues backed up significantly. According to Ryanair staff almost 20 people missed our flight. We only just made it after running as fast as we could (including my pregnant wife) from security to the gate. Avoid at all costs. If you have to use Birmingham for a departure allow at least 2.5 to 3 hours before your scheduled departure time.
Date VisitMarch 2016

"room for improvement"

As I am disabled a wheelchair was arranged for me at each airport I passed through. All went well until arriving back in Birmingham. On landing all passengers prepared to exit at the front of the aircraft but were then told to exit at the rear. Then after some had exited we were then told to exit at the front. No wheelchair was waiting for me. When we arrived at the baggage carousel we saw people struggling to access a cart but unable do do so because they were expected to insert money into the machine before it could be released. Who has the coins available after flying in from abroad? What a shambles, plenty of room for improvement I think.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"shambolically managed"

Last night it took my wife and I over an hour to get through security at Birmingham Airport. The whole process was shambolically managed. The airport generated hundreds of pounds in revenue during our time in the queue from passengers who were prepared to pay £5 to enter the express lane to jump the queue. Passengers who didn't bother to turn up on time were also rewarded by being allowed to jump ahead of their more conscientious peers in the queue. The real story became apparent when we finally arrived at the checkpoints. I counted five (of 12) stations closed. Did the airport not realise that the UK half term break was on (not to mention Valentine's weekend and a busy weekend in sport)? They really do needy to up their game at BHX as passenger numbers grow.

"delayed so long"

Security checks here nearly caused a missed flight 3 years ago and yesterday it happened and we were delayed so long-all bags dismantled and put through scanner twice. We missed our flight, a £750 holiday, then £200 extra for the next day flight (Ryanair) - in 40 yrs of holiday flying this is first time it's happened &. Won't fly from Birmingham Airport again if I can possibly help it.