Birmingham Airport

Review by (United Kingdom)

Horrendous wait on baggage - over 1 hour on flight from Inverness and 45 minutes from Alicante. Disgusting, unclean toilets - poor service for incoming travellers.

Review by (United Kingdom)

I agree with earlier reviews about the confusion in the airport itself and the lack of people to ask information. My worst experience was passing through customs on arrival back from my holiday. Although my son and I are US citizens, we are permanent residents of the UK. Upon arrival at the airport from Germany, we were sent to the Other Passports line. Although I tried to explain that we had residence permits and could line with the Europeans, we were told that the agents knew nothing except to separate us in this way. OK. There were only about 20 people ahead of us. Well, one hour later, after 5 European flights were cleared, we finally made it to the customs official. The practice of letting about 10 Europeans and then 1 "other passport" through is not really justifiable in the modern travelling world. We were extremely disappointed with the service, and competence/attitude of the employees at the airport. Ruined an otherwise lovely vacation.

Review by (United Kingdom)

The good things - no queues either at check in or security. The okay things - cleanliness, not terrible. Food and beverages are overpriced but as expected. Shopping looks alright. The bad things - you could probably get lost if you hadn't been before. It's not a massive airport, it's just the directions and signs aren't great. Good luck finding a seat. WiFi, the speed is okay, the sign up process is not. It feels like they're trying to use your personal information for their own good. Finally, the staff. They're miserable when you can find them. The departure board said "Gate open in 5 minutes" for a good half hour or so. The worst part is that if you wanted to ask about the delay, you can't. There is nobody wearing anything that suggests they work for the airport. They might be there somewhere, but have fun finding them.

Review by (United Kingdom)

We were going to Bulgaria and were flying with Balkan Airways. We arrived at the airport which is always clean and tidy. We checked in 2 hours before the flight which was very quick. We went through to departures where we had a meal at burger king which was expensive for what it was. The departure lounge was very clean with TV's around informing your of all the arrivals and departures. The service was very easy and quick when we went through to the aircraft. Arriving back we had a similar experience. Very well organised airport.

Review by (Pakistan)

We arrived at Birmingham Int Train Station and there was no problem in reaching the airport. We arrived 20 minutes before check-in opened, had a walk around the terminal and a small snack. After check-in we went through security which wasn't much of a hassle. After security we liked the food choices considering it wasn't a major airport. The Duty Free area had a great variety. Our flight was Emirates Business Class to Dubai.

Review by (United Kingdom)

I travelled through BHX last week with Lufthansa - outbound to Frankfurt on 21 Jul and inbound late on 22 Jul. Easy parking and a 3 min wait for the bus, check-in was quick and as a Frequent Flyer I was granted access to the priority security line. Reasonably quick, then through the perfumery to queue up for a coffee. Some of the seats near the boarding area have now been relocated (why?) - and Vodafone signals are still poor inside the terminal. But we left on time, so no real issues. On arrival, the flight was late out of FRA. It always seems to take the ground handlers ages to sort out the jet pier here though, but at least it wasn't a bus this time. Long queues at passport control, but the e-passport machines actually worked OK. It took only 4 minutes from stepping off the aircraft to leaving the passport machines, whereas the week before it took 25 minutes at LHR T2! Luggage arrived within 10 min, not bad for BHX! Crowds hanging around at the exit were as annoying as ever, but I was soon on the bus. My car park estimate had been 23:45 and I was later than that, but obviously their system knew of the late flight and I was soon on my way home. Overall an entirely acceptable travel experience - if only LH operated more flights from here! Unlike at LHR, lounge access isn't available for Frequent Flyers in Economy, which is the only disadvantage of using BHX.

Review by (United Kingdom)

It's so frustrating that our local airport seems to have gone from bad to worse. Arrivals have always been a nighmare at BHX but departures are now almost as bad. Arriving 2 hours before a flight now leave no time for eating drinking or browsing the shops such are the queues at check in and security, which even has a queue to join a queue! Once through we had hoped for breakfast but found big waiting times at the three eateries we tried. We queued for 15 minutes for a cup of tea at Burger King who seemed to have 3 members of staff trying cope with the "cooking" and serving. Boarding had started so just time to grab a sandwich from Boots, the only place which seemed to have its act together, plenty of staff and the tills ringing. Arrival was chaos. Once through immigration it was over a very long and boring hour before our carousel decided to kick into life and start to do its thing. I frequently read that the airport has big plans to add more routes and airlines. All I can say is best of luck to the passengers if this does happen as I dread to think of what it will be like if it's any busier. I'll be flying from elsewhere.

Review by (United Kingdom)

This is one of my least favourite airports and one I shall try to avoid in future. Problems lining up steps to aircraft. Bus to terminal from airport appearing to get lost. Lots of stairs while carrying heavy bags. Slowness of luggage appearing, then stopping, then eventually turning up on another conveyor belt. Lack of frequent enough buses to car parks, meaning it was quicker to walk. All in all, organised chaos.

Review by (United Kingdom)

I am writing to complain about the disgusting state of the smoking area outside of the Meridien Bar at Birmingham airport. I am a smoker and was extremely shocked at the dirtiness of the balcony, not just cigarettes but glasses, cups, and litter. The ashtrays were overflowing. I have added some images of the area taken on the 1st June 2015. I would like to quote Imperial Tobacco's announcement of the opening of this area. The UK’s leading tobacco company, Imperial Tobacco, is delighted to announce the opening of a state of the art airside smoking area at Birmingham Airport. Travellers can now enjoy their chosen tobacco product free from the wind and rain in a dedicated area, accessible from the airport’s new departure lounge bar. This purpose built and unique facility provides lighting, shelter, hand gel and litter solutions. There is also a departures board to ensure travellers can keep track of their flights. If you are going to open a smoking area, which is much appreciated, please do not treat travelers like third class citizens and expect them to smoke in such a dirty disgusting place. I have included the first photos of the Birmingham airport smoking area and the latter of a comparison with Bodrum airport outside smoking area within the departure lounge.
Date VisitJune 2015

Review by (United Kingdom)

I have used it hundreds of times over the years and it still seems to have a dated culture. Departing is usually not the problem but arriving and waiting for gates and sometimes steps or an air bridge is a joke, it often appears as if the plane has "dropped in" unexpectedly and taken them by surprise. Luggage collection is also a bit of a joke, can wait up to an hour for luggage to appear on carousel. It's worth noting that BHX is trying for more long haul flights now that the runway has been extended for larger aircraft, but heaven help arriving passengers if this come to be, it'll be a nightmare under the present system of baggage handling on arrival. It lags well behind the likes of Manchester Airport. The £1.00 charge for a 10 minute drop off is extortion at it's very best.
Date VisitJune 2015