Top 100 Airports

Birmingham Airport

"better management and staff are required"

After visiting 3 other airports in Malaysia for a 2 week holiday, absolutely appalled and embarrassed by Birmingham airport. Taking 1 hour to collect luggage, facilities worse than 3rd world countries, and children being allowed to climb on conveyer belts and sit on top of luggage stacked high on trollies shocked me. Toilets were to a poor standard of cleanliness, and immigration should be better designed for British passport holders. Better management and staff are required and money needs to be put back into making the airport more efficient and up to date.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"pretty impressed with the airport"

(South Korea)

I was pretty impressed with the airport and few, if any, of the complaints I'd recently read about were problems I experienced. We breezed through immigration very quickly - arrived just after midday so it wasn't a completely deserted time of the day - and the queuing arrangements for this seemed well organised. There were staff around to get you in the correct queue and we were filtered out of the electronic gates line, having a child in our group who couldn't use those. At the front of the queue there were other staff directing people to the next available counters - all pretty efficient, I thought. Baggage collection was faultless too - the carousel for our flight was clearly announced and our bags came through after a fairly short wait. I was slightly amused to see "complimentary strollers" that seemed not to be complimentary as they required money to release them. This is on a par with most UK airports these days, though. And I would say to BHX's credit that at least baggage trolleys are still free to use. On our departure from BHX there wasn't too much of a wait for security - it probably took us about 10 minutes. There are information screens before security advising how long it's currently likely to take to clear security - a great idea and the estimate of 12 minutes for us was accurate - slightly less, if anything. There was a minor issue with one item we were taking through security but it was professionally and courteously dealt with. We didn't have much interaction with many airport staff beyond the bare minimum but the ones we did encounter seemed pleasant enough and the claims of other reviewers of miserable staff not justified in our experience. I once used BHX in the 1990s, had a dreadful experience and deliberately avoided it for many years after. Recent reviews suggested I would be in for more of the same. But fortunately that wasn't the case at all. A couple of other people I met on our UK trip also said their recent experiences of using BHX were similar to mine. I'll definitely consider flying to and from Birmingham on my next UK trip.

"embarrassed at the incompetence2

I arrived at Birmingham Airport at 3am to find that there were no steps to get off the plane (even the pilot commented on the lack of efficiency) and after 20 minutes we managed to disembark. Although we got on a bus from the plane, many passengers were left standing as the buses were full. I wonder if the airport has access to information regarding the number of passengers on a particular plane so that they can estimate how many buses they need? We then had to wait 45 minutes for our luggage to appear. When questioned about the baggage delay the unhelpful staff said "Well, it's holiday time". I wonder also whether August is an unusual time for a holiday period or could possibly be planned for? I am embarrassed at the incompetence and the couldn't care less attitude of this airport and their staff. Disgraceful.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"old fashioned and untidy"

Came back from Copenhagen via Brussels and the first impression of the BHX airport is old fashioned and untidy with all those ugly carpets. The second worst thing is to pay for those trollies,never seen this in at any airports I've been to even trollies are bulky and old fashioned compare to the ones you get at Copenhagen or Brussels. Less staff at arrivals , long queues - overall experience BAD.

"terrible baggage handling"

Terrible baggage handling and extortionate parking. Took 75 minutes to unload baggage at 7am on a Tuesday morning after long-haul flight. No updates or information throughout. Because of the delay my friend who was collecting me had to transfer from the highly extortionate drop-off parking at a cost of £12 for just over 30 minutes to the slightly less but still highly extortionate medium stay car park at a cost of £9 for just over 60 minutes. I travel frequently (once per month) and BHX is easily one of the worst airports in Europe.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"embarrassing at how bad it was"

Leaving from Birmingham was ok and plenty of staff, however returning is completely different. Long delay before we got off the plaine in comparison to Palma airport which was very quick. Very slow through passport control, only 3 people manning this area for our flight and 2 others. Luggage collection was a joke, no initial indication of which carousel to collect from, eventually someone said it was on 6, after a long wait we found that this was also another flights luggage. We were indicated to go to 5 then back to 6 then 5 then back again to 6, this process of confusing messaging with no person to tell us what was going on went on for over an hour. Really terrible customer service. It's embarrassing at how bad it was, if I was a tourist I would really have struggled. My young children who are luckily very good were ok with the delay, but we were very tired, if we had a choice I would use another airport. It's always the same and takes the shine off a holiday. Taxi driver that was booked to collect us had a nightmare waiting for us, this must have cost him money, luckily he had the sense not to enter the pick up zone that charges £2 for he first 10 minutes then jumps up to silly money. Also noticed lots of luggage lying around which looked messy and makes one wonder if these are all lost.

"failing miserably"

A poor regional airport trying to be something bigger but failing miserably. Landed at a collapsed air bridge with windows broken in. All areas are filthy and need a good cleaning. The bubbling lino as you walk to gates 1-20 now taken up and nothing in its place. Toilets in main departure lounge have three sinks with bags tied around the taps as no doubt don't work. Security queues and process is illogical. With only one person able to load a tray at a time. The management here need to take a look at how other airports do it successfully.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"landing to leaving the airport 1h45m"

We flew into Birmingham from Portugal - flight time 2h20m. Time spent from landing to leaving the airport building, 1h45m. The lack of staff to show us how to exit through automatic passport control together with the lack of space to handle the huge amount of passengers and luggage is terrible.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"queues were backed up"

I have managed to avoid Birmingham Airport on many occasions recently but today I had to depart. Queues at security are a real problem for this airport. Today for flights departing at peak times of 6pm there were two security stations open. Queues were backed up past the entry area and the staff are so sullen and rude. The airlines must taken look at this as it will drive people away. It certainly has done so for me.
Date VisitJune 2016

"just not good enough"

Birmingham airport is poor in most areas. The terminal urgently needs some money spending on it and management need to demonstrate much more customer focus. Departures is simply inadequate for the volume of traffic as evidenced by the convoluted queuing lanes. Arrivals is tired, old and seedy. We left our aircraft down its stairs into pouring rain without an airbridge and then had to climb some stairs, find our way along narrow passages then descend some stairs. If you had health problems this was not a good start. The baggage hall seems unchanged over many years and is poorly lit and dingy. To charge for a trolley is just plain mean and not welcoming to visitors who may not have any coins. The justification for this from the airport is that not many people use them - a circular argument if ever I heard it. I cannot remember the last airport where I was charged for a trolley. We noticed very few people using trolleys in both directions. Drop-off at the airport is awful and most unwelcoming, charging everyone for coming to the airport including taxis. Charging taxis for bringing customers to the airport seems to lack customer focus. The cars and taxis parked on entrance roads waiting the opportunity to drop someone off or snatch them away illustrates the point. Compared to the many, many airports I have visited Birmingham is just not good enough. Examples of the right way to do it are everywhere particularly the further East you go.
Date VisitJune 2016