Airline of the Year

Birmingham Airport

"not surprised people missed their flights"

Verified Review | I use Birmingham Airport on a weekly basis as I work in Germany. I started the job in February but after a few weeks of really long delays going through security I now book express security. The last month the queues for the normal security lane has been growing longer and longer. I noticed that Birmingham Airport quoted that the delays last week were due to unprecedented passenger numbers. This does not wash as the problems have been growing for some time now. On coming back to the UK the passport queues are also a problem. Sometimes I have had to wait 20-30 minutes. I regularly use different airports across Europe and Birmingham is by far the worst I have seen. It doesn't even come close to the other airports. It is a long way behind for service. One word - appalling. They should be ashamed. With regard to facilities it also comes very low. As I have said I regularly visit other European airports and Birmingham is the worst. Lack of food outlets, no seating (regularly see people sitting on the floor). The people who do the planning need a good look at themselves. The security system was only changed a few years ago and is now not fit for purpose. The problem is that they try to push everything through one queue. Other airports split people earlier and have more security so the largest queue is no more than 10-15 people not hundreds as I saw the other day. People then queue up for up to an hour before being split at the last minute. There were airport staff shouting whether anyone was on this flight or that flight but they didn't go down the whole queue. Not surprised people missed their flights.

"there was no apology"

Verified Review | I regularly use Birmingham Airport but on this occasion had to book special assistance for my Dad. We arrived at the OCS desk on the ground floor and the staff were very rude and asked if my dad really needed assistance (he is in his 80's uses a walking stick and can't walk far). They said there would be a wait but at least 4 people came after us and were taken through. I asked why this was happening and they said we were next, a woman walked up calling a name but I couldn't hear her. I politely said excuse me but she said she was busy and walked off. I said that I thought she'd called my dads name but she just ignored me and kept walking! I spoke to the desk and asked to speak to a manager. I was told there wasn't a manager but I spoke to the supervisor. There was no apology. I asked for the manager to call me and I left my number but over a week later I still haven't had a call. They are an awful outfit and do no favours for the airport. (I have to say that the staff airside going to the plane were great but landside wss awful!).
Date VisitMay 2017

"delays exiting the plane"

Have travelled extensively and use this airport regularly since it is convenient to our home. We have experienced slow service over many years but nothing as bad as 23rd May when there were delays exiting the plane and going through passport control. It doesn't help when there are major works on arrival to the airport. When we flew out there was a forty minute delay while they found a connection bar to push us off the standing! They cant even deal locally with complaints about car parking. Dreadful.
Date VisitMay 2017

"Complete chaos on arrival"

Verified Review | Complete chaos on arrival due to drop off area being closed. It took about one hour to go through passport check and security for departure. (this was confirmed in Birmingham mail later in the week due to staff shortages). The return arrival we were taken by bus off the apron to the terminal and then waited 50 minutes for luggage. This airport tries to sell itself as being part of the 'second city' but in reality is second rate by some way comparing it to the likes of manchester airport. it is local to me but I prefer East Midlands for short haul, for long haul it doesn't have too many choices and therefore the choices are between London or Manchester.
Date VisitMay 2017

"Never experienced anything like this"

Verified Review | Never again. Over an hour wait to "clear immigration" when returning home on a flight from Rome. Never experienced anything like this before even when entering USA, Mexico or Middle East countries. Will pay extra and use more efficient Gatwick or other regional airport next time.
Date VisitMay 2017

"requires a major infrastructure rethink"

Verified Review | I didn't intend to do airport reviews when I started reporting on airlines, however, I have travelled to and from BHX multiple times over the past 4 months and the service I have received has encouraged me to write. BHX is a small, single terminal airport in Solihull. It has a single runway and, I imagine, mainly services the people of the West Midlands Metropolitan Borough. It has everything you would expect from a small airport, standard duty free, generic over priced restaurants, an executive lounge that is anything but, and extortionate car parking. What it lacks, however, is the ability to function dynamically, the ability to handle large numbers of passengers arriving at the same time, and the ability to process baggage expediently. The airports main occupants include European low cost. As a result it attracts large numbers of passengers in the very early morning and at the height of the afternoon. Outside ELC it also services 788s from TCX, PIA, Air India, and Qatar, as well as 2x 77Ws and an A388 courtesy of Emirates. The problems with the airport are as follows: 1) The terminal size/layout makes it impossible to handle large numbers of passengers concurrently. The floor space on the bottom floor is sufficient to accommodate check in desks but has very little space for queuing. As a result you can almost always expect at least a 30 minute wait when checking in at terminal or bag dropping. The size of security is poor, there is a single corridor entrance to the area for domestic flights and a concertina style queing system for international flights. As with check in desks there just isn't the space to accommodate large numbers of passengers. 3 or more high capacity narrow bodies and you're backed up. A 30 minute security wait isn't unusual. 2) The handling of luggage is poor, primarily owing to over stretched handling agents. There are 2 handling agents at BHX to cover daily flights for 50 airlines. It is not uncommon to wait 15/20 minutes for luggage to be retrieved at the belts. The airport isn't fit for purpose, and despite this the management want to increase capacity. I think BHX has the ability to improve, but it requires a major infrastructure rethink and a principal support provider overhaul. Conversations were had regarding a second runway to increase movements, it is my opinion that this shouldn't be considered until the aforementioned infrastructure issues are addressed.

"another Birmingham mistake"

Having just arrived back after a 9 hour flight, I had to wait over an hour in line at immigration whilst non EU members sailed past me. There were so many free lanes not being used which meant my queuing time could've been halved. After collecting my bag, we walked outside the terminal to see that the drop and go car park (which has always been very efficient), had been dug up and replaced with signs to various car parks (which I had no previous knowledge of). So when my father kindly agreed to pick us up, you can imagine the grief I gave some car park attendants. Don't get me wrong, they didn't know what was going on either. I would love to know why you've changed something that was working, another Birmingham mistake adding to the list. Stay away from Birmingham! Awful place.
Date VisitMay 2017

"huge waiting lines for security"

Verified Review | Main Problem of the Airport are the huge waiting lines for security. This was combined with giving fake information of short waiting time (12 minutes) while the overall waiting time was 45 minutes. Signs were showing the 12 minute waiting in green, giving you the hope that you will have a reasonable quie waiting time. In the small print it was said that this was from Boarding pass check to safety. However, the main queue was 30 minutes until you could scan your Boarding Card. What was even more disturbing was that, once I was at the Boarding Card scanner I was rudely advised by a member of staff not to scan my Boarding Card now although there was space to queue further after the scanning Station. Obviously this was done to keep the official waiting time in the "green" area below 15 minutes. When complaining about this, I was threatened by a further member of staff that I would be not be allowed to go through security. Definitely my worst airport experience.
Date VisitMay 2017

"many desks were unmanned"

Flew with Thomas Cook to Dalaman from Birmingham last Friday. Our flight was delayed by more that 30 minutes due to over 40 passengers being delayed at security. I do not think it is unreasonable to expect Birmingham Airport management to have sufficient staff on security to ensure flights leave on time. Many desks were unmanned which is unforgivable as the airport authority know the number, aircraft capacity and times of departure up to a year in advance. In my experience this is definitely the worst UK airport.
Date VisitMay 2017

"will use again for convenience"

Traveled to / from Birmingham airport by train, quick and simple as always. No bags to drop and checked-in online so straight to security. Wasn't the best set-up I've seen, some of the equipment looking a bit old and tired and relatively small. Bit of a queue but nothing too disastrous. The Duty Free layout has changed since my last journey, was a bit disorientating and didn't flow particularly well as these walk-though stores you now often see in airports usually do. Departure lounge in general was adequate with seating and a descent range of shops / restaurants. Went to Boots though all the check-outs were failing with promotions not going through and cash payments only, admittedly not a major fault of the airport I'm sure. Only a short distance to the boarding gates and were out on time. Flight back, straight off the plane with no Passport Control required as only coming from the Republic of Ireland and was back at the train station just 15 or 20 mins after landing. Overall serves it's purpose and will use again for convenience.