Top 100 Airlines

Birmingham Airport

"landed 6.03, walked out of the terminal at 8.15"

Just returned back to Birmingham airport from a great holiday to the USA which involved transiting both JFK and Miami which proved to me as how airports should be run. On arrival I was totally shocked at what we are expected to put up with. Landed early just after 6.00 after an on time departure from JFK with American Airlines which was quite pleasing however that's when things started to go wrong. Pulled off the runway and told by the captain our gate is not available as the previous aircraft is late departing and we would wait about 25 minutes. We did move after 25 minutes to the gate but no one could get off as no one was available to connect us to the airbridge. This was rectified after about 10 minutes and passengers were then able to get off. Passport control was really speedy as no other flights were landing and no crowds. Onward to pick up cases carousel displayed correctly and noticed about 20 people from the Cancun flight still picking up baggage but within 5 minutes they had all cleared the area. Stood there waiting for 45 minutes and nothing arrived so tried to get information as to why it was taking so long -nobody knew and nobody cared. 3 women sat behind a desk whose job it appears is to help people find any missing luggage were the only contact in the baggage area and they just shrugged their shoulders and didn't want to know. 58 minutes after the plane had pulled to the gate the first cases appeared. Bearing in mind during all this time no other people came into this area - why did it take so long to offload the cases in what clearly was a quiet time? Landed at 6.03, walked out of the terminal at 8.15. Would my experience make me travel through this airport again - certainly not.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"this airport is poorly managed"

Outbound to Menorca was very poor indeed, Inbound from Menorca diabolical, this airport is poorly managed and quite dangerous especially on arrival around the carousels. We unfortunately have to travel from here year on year, there is never any improvement just more disappointment. Management at Birmingham need to go to other airports to learn by their excellent service, to sum up, Birmingham airport is quite pathetic and continues this downward trend.

"expected better service"

Verified Review | Arrived at Birmingham at 05.20 this morning from Rhodes after a 2 hour delay. No other passengers at the baggage collection, the place was like a ghost town, so why on earth did it take an hour for the belt to start delivering our luggage. Significant that things only happened after I found a phone and spoke to someone from Swissair. To top it off everyones luggage was wet, so had obviously been left on the trucks. Really expected better service.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"nothing short of appalling"

My wife and I arrived at 4.45am to check-in for a 6.50 am flight to Menorca. It took over 1 hour to hand over our cases and in fact to avoid missing the flight we were given priority over other passengers. We arrived back at 12.50 pm and we retrieved our cases at 2.15pm. Our luggage being on the same carousel as 4 other flights. Thomas Cook were efficient in there approach to transporting us to and from our destination but Birmingham Airport's approach to passenger care and efficiency is nothing short of appalling.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"the incompetence has spread to the apron"

I long ago decided never to use this airport if I have luggage to check in due to the incompetent way it is handled, ie the time you have to wait to retrieve it. Now the incompetence has spread to the apron. I am currently sitting on a Monarch flight bound for Barcelona that is being held for 1hr 15 mins due to awaiting for an available 'Push back Tug driver'. Pilot has stated a couple of times how disorganised this place is.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"amazed at the restaurant prices"

I am disabled and must use a Rollator. Was assured by Lufthansa staff at Frankfurt that this would be handed to me immediately on arrival at bottom of stairway. But no. Birmingham airport personnel took an executive decision to transport it along with all other hold baggage. I finished up being shunted around on some kind of hydraulic lift. I as eventually reunited with it, along with my suitcase around 90 minutes after aircraft arrival. On my return journey, I was amazed to discover that Lufthansa check in staff are not employed by Lufthansa. They do not speak or inderstand German, which is absurd. After check in, I had around 2 hours to kill. I was amazed at the restaurant prices. They charge more than the Light Brigade! Just as an example, 12 quid for an all day breakfast, and which wasn't gold plated!
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"baggage collection was a nightmare"

We landed early on our flight from Zakynthos and cleared customs quite quickly. However, the baggage collection was a nightmare. 1 hour after landing and we still did not have any bags. This has to be the slowest bag handling anywhere. I will not use this airport again.

"Disappointing experience"

Arrived at Birmingham Airport tonight, absolutely chaos. Arrivals queueing on staircases, only 2 staff processing documents in passport control causing a severe backlog, the queue was full of children desperate for the toilet but alas none available. Airport staff incorrectly directing children under 12 to e-passport queue. Not what you expect from an international airport. Disappointing experience.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"our baggage arrived promptly"

We were flying to Kuala Lumpur via Dubai. There were no problems at all with departure or arrivals times. The queuing was fine and our baggage arrived promptly. The airport is quite small so we expected quick times anyway. The only issue was having to pay £1 for a trolley. This should be reviewed.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"we just waited and waited"

Verified Review | Arrived at Birmingham Airport on Friday 26 August on Ryanair flight from Palma Majorca. The flight had been perfect and was a bit early. We got through customs quite quickly and entered the baggage reclaim area. The screen showed that the flight had landed at 19.20 which was about right. We waited for our bags, and waited and waited and waited. There were no staff present to talk to: no information on tannoys and no any explanation on the screens. We just waited and waited. My bags came out at 20.35, a delay of 1 hour 15 minutes. It took 2 hours to fly all the way from Majorca, and 1 hour 15 minutes for the bags to travel a few hundred metres. The service by the baggage handlers, was dreadful. The service provided by the airport (lack of information and lack of staff) was appalling. There was limited seating, the ventilation/air con was struggling with the volume of people in the room for so long, and the toilets were messy. No food/drink facilities at all, I only live a few minutes from the airport, and having landed at 19.20 I should have been home by 8, but instead it was gone 9. Not to mention the exorbitant cost of our lift parking in the "short stay" drop off zone waiting for us. Its so much easier to drive to East Midlands airport where everything is so much easier and better.
Date VisitAugust 2016