Birmingham Airport

"Airport was chaotic"

Not Verified | Airport was chaotic. Wait time for luggage was well over an hour. Absolutely horrible and definitely never recommending this airport to anyone not even as a transit stop. Severely in need of an upgrade and please better time management! The last thing anyone needs after a long day is an even longer wait for baggage reclaim and other formalities. Hope I never have the misfortune of having to end up travelling from/to or via Birmingham International.
Date VisitMay 2018

"airport used to be great"

Trip Verified | This airport used to be great to use. 2-3 years ago I flew frequently and always chose Birmingham because it was quick and well run. After a career break I’m now back to flying frequently for business again and oh dear Birmingham. The security queues are unbearable on a Monday morning. I arrived 2 hours before my flight and had to be pulled to the front of the queue by staff the wait was that bad! It’s the same story on the return through passport control! The terminal is so crowded and well worn now it useless. All other European airports I’ve flown to have been better equipped than Birmingham is now and they have half the passenger numbers. Birmingham needs serious investment if it wants to attract passengers back because I simply won’t use it anymore. The terminal needs to be completely renovated and expanded. Bigger security and passport control areas are needed and the baggage infrastructure needs an upgrade. Definitely more seating needs to be made available and the food and drink options are crowded weatherspoons or crowded coffe bar. To Birmingham’s credit though they’ve got one thing right. The No1 lounge is impeccable but that doesn’t help your average traveller.
Date VisitApril 2018

"Shocking level of management incompetence"

Not Verified | Shocking level of management incompetence. Arrived on a delayed flight in the airport from the EEA and had to wait 2 hours on the plane at the gates as there was no ladder and the control tower was unreachable. On another occasion the whole EEA plane was subject to a plane "random" sniffer dog test. We had to queue one by one and be questioned by border guards right out the plane door, missing connections, trains etc. There's always under-resource on passport control and the automatic machines often fail having to queue twice. Poorly designed workflows on baggage delivery as well. Waited for two and a half to get bags from a Dubai flight.
Date VisitApril 2018

"What a pain of an arrival"

Not Verified | Arriving from Fuerteventura with Ryanair, the aircraft arrived at the stand and I waited for the air bridge to move, no! We had to wait for stairs from the aircraft, at least it was not raining. We were then faced with climbing up old metal steps with our hand luggage into a dirty old corridor finding our way to passport control. It is strange how one passport officer can clear 190 passengers without any delay at Fuerteventura. What a pain of an arrival. Departure review to follow.
Date VisitMay 2018

"45 minutes to get through security"

Trip Verified | Worst airport I’ve been to. I’m flying 4 times per week and have had in the last week several arrivals and departures from Birmingham Airport. Today, for example, I needed 45 minutes to get through security on a normal day. Comparing to all airports I’ve been to, Birmingham Airport is the worst. Please optimise your processes. Please have a look at a German Airport, for example, Frankfurt Airport and try to copy as much as you can.

"Signs are not clear"

Not Verified | First, taxi drivers have to pay £2.00 to drop clients off. Then they charge extra to the clients. Signs are not clear as to where to drop off and entrance signs. The airport looks so basic from the entrance. Waited forever in line like cattle for security check. Another check point was less busy, but the stumpy woman that walked over should have asked us to go over there to save on time and stress, just said stay in line and move back! How rude? It was not clear that we, the cattle, had to put certain things in one tray and not to overload or what is overloading the trays? None of the rude staff helped us to get the trays out or to tell us, the cattle, what to do. One little woman with a big attitude said 'You wouldn’t even get a job here if you can’t even fill a tray'! As a result of my remarks to her we were told to go through 4 times! We were getting late for our flight. My knee was hurting so much and I couldn’t run to get my flight. We very nearly missed our flight because of security.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"brings my city into disrepute"

Not Verified | As a Brummie (born and bread in Birmingham) I hate to shoot my city in the foot but there are times when you wish you could wring someones neck when an individual or organisation brings my city into disrepute. However NCP or should be renamed as the British Mafia or BM does this with ease. Its a big company the boss of which who is a multimillionaire spends his time cruising the Med, in his super luxury boat after fleecing the plebs for all they are worth. To attempt to make themselves look decent they BM have a shareholding in the airport of I believe 10% sufficient to hold sway on any votes on board meeting and sufficient to continue to rob the punters which they do with great ease. I went to the airport this afternoon to pick up my daughter returning back on a flight. The car park fees to which I am referring are disgusting or should I say criminal. The drop off point has been changed, its now £2 for 10 minutes (it was £1) if you run over by one minute this goes up to £5 for a further 5 minutes. Park in a cheaper multi and its £5.10 for up to 1 hour then £10 for 2 hours. You can of course park in the free area and have 30 minutes for nothing however there is a catch, its 10 minutes if you are fit to walk to the arrivals and 10 minutes back, add to this its all open so if its raining well tough. So that leaves 10 minutes to do your business and leave.

"Always the same"

Trip Verified | Two flights arriving and only 4 immigration officials at passport control. Always the same, such a joke almost 50 minutes wait. Baggage carousels took another 40 minutes. Why can’t they learn from other airports and try and improve service. Not a good welcome to Birmingham.
Date VisitApril 2018

"the lines are a bit unclear"

Trip Verified | I am writing this review from the airport as I'm waiting to depart. This airport is designed to squeeze every last penny from you. It starts when getting dropped off, where you have to pay 2 pounds just to let someone out of the car. By the time you figured out you are heading to this drop off zone it is already too late to turn around. The departures hall is ok, pretty much what you would expect from an airport. Going through security is a bit of a pain, as the lines are a bit unclear which clearly makes the staff unhappy because everyone is in the wrong place. Going through security also takes way longer than it should due to their slow operating luggage scanning (there is enough staff on hand). After passing security it is time to spend money again. Instead of going in a straight line to the waiting area you have to take some sort of ikea route through all the smelly parfume shops, the only difference to Ikea being that there are no shortcuts in this airport. Inside the waiting area I always get stopped by someone because they have to offer me a great deal on something. Of course this deal involves me spending some money to gain great advantage. On the way here I had to wait at Schiphol (Amsterdam) airport, and even though they offer more shops it is just not so in your face, which makes the experience a lot better in my opinion.
Date VisitApril 2018

"What a contrast in customer service"

Trip Verified | The airport was extremely busy, but after queuing for an hour at security we were fast tracked to the front because our flight was boarding. Even then it took another 15 minutes to get to our turn at the barrier. Then one of our group - a young girl - was pulled out for a bag search, and the nightmare began. The security man was taking a long time individually bagging-up the many bottles in the bag of another passenger. He often wandered off to chat with a colleague who was having trouble working her radio. When asked if he could maybe help because our flight was due to leave, he said (swearing removed) "No - I'm taking my time. If you'd listened to instructions and packed your bag properly, you wouldn't be here, would you?". After another 15-20 minutes of swearing and even squaring-up aggressively to a male member of our group, another security staff member checked her bag - and decided it was fine after all. That staff member apologised for the other guy, saying there had been complaints from other passengers about behaviour from him. Luckily we were flying with the incredible SAS, just about the calmest and friendliest airline in the world - who entirely understood, held back the flight for us and made the rest of the trip worthwhile. What a contrast in customer service!
Date VisitMarch 2018