Top 100 Airports

Birmingham Airport

"landing to leaving the airport 1h45m"

We flew into Birmingham from Portugal - flight time 2h20m. Time spent from landing to leaving the airport building, 1h45m. The lack of staff to show us how to exit through automatic passport control together with the lack of space to handle the huge amount of passengers and luggage is terrible.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"queues were backed up"

I have managed to avoid Birmingham Airport on many occasions recently but today I had to depart. Queues at security are a real problem for this airport. Today for flights departing at peak times of 6pm there were two security stations open. Queues were backed up past the entry area and the staff are so sullen and rude. The airlines must taken look at this as it will drive people away. It certainly has done so for me.
Date VisitJune 2016

"just not good enough"

Birmingham airport is poor in most areas. The terminal urgently needs some money spending on it and management need to demonstrate much more customer focus. Departures is simply inadequate for the volume of traffic as evidenced by the convoluted queuing lanes. Arrivals is tired, old and seedy. We left our aircraft down its stairs into pouring rain without an airbridge and then had to climb some stairs, find our way along narrow passages then descend some stairs. If you had health problems this was not a good start. The baggage hall seems unchanged over many years and is poorly lit and dingy. To charge for a trolley is just plain mean and not welcoming to visitors who may not have any coins. The justification for this from the airport is that not many people use them - a circular argument if ever I heard it. I cannot remember the last airport where I was charged for a trolley. We noticed very few people using trolleys in both directions. Drop-off at the airport is awful and most unwelcoming, charging everyone for coming to the airport including taxis. Charging taxis for bringing customers to the airport seems to lack customer focus. The cars and taxis parked on entrance roads waiting the opportunity to drop someone off or snatch them away illustrates the point. Compared to the many, many airports I have visited Birmingham is just not good enough. Examples of the right way to do it are everywhere particularly the further East you go.
Date VisitJune 2016

"1h 50m from touchdown to exit"

Arrived at Birmingham after flying Monarch. At the gate, no handling agent to meet the aircraft, 15 min delay. Informed that customs was closed at our terminal and we had to get a bus which caused a further 20 min delay due to elderly and young children etc. Bussed to alternate terminal to then find that due to a lack of baggage handlers the last 4 aircraft to arrive the bags were all on one carousel. 1hr 50mins from touch down to exit the airport, not good Birmingham. You want to play with the big boys you need to grow from being a local small airport. I think my next flights will be via Manchester, at least they set a high standard.
Date VisitMay 2016

"diabolical service"

After arriving into Birmingham from a lovely holiday at Fuerteventura we landed 20 mins early with Ryanair - had to wait 15 mins to get off the plane and it took 1 hour to get through border control with only 2 planes having arrived. Who knows what it's like when it gets busy as they only had 2 officers checking passports and somebody telling you where to go. Families with very small children found it very difficult and there were 4 to 5 officers standing round just talking instead of opening other desks - diabolical service. This has happened to me twice this year so it wasn't a one off.
Date VisitMay 2016

"overall, a good experience"

We were last on a Ryanair flight from Birmingham to Alicante. I was dropped off by taxi, by the front entrance. Kindly, the Ryanair desks are located right next to the oversized baggage zone, which is surprising. We were sped through and given our boarding passes, well, the one we had to print off at home thanks to Ryanair's annoying 'Online Check-In' which you have to pay for, but if you forget, you have to pay even more at the desk, to print off your own boarding passes. We went through security and were kindly directed by a man telling me what to do. We sped through that and went to our gate. Annoyingly, the seats were uncomfortable at the waiting area and was crammed. Overall, a good experience at Birmingham International Airport.
Date VisitApril 2016

"everyone looked so miserable"

After spending 4 months in Australia and a week in Dubai we arrived back at Birmingham. The escalator was cordoned off so everyone had to get into line to go down the stairs to passport control. A man was barking orders like arriving in prison. We went through to collect our baggage. This man was still awful and everyone looked so miserable. We waited over an hour for our cases. After travelling round Australia and stopping in Dubai their staff were courteous, friendly and very helpful. I was ashamed to be in Birmingham and was apologising to the people around me. It could have been there first flight into Birmingham and certainly it would be there last. Your staff could certainly do with going to Dubai Airport to see how you treat passengers.
Date VisitApril 2016

"such a shambolic arrival"

Arrived on Emirates A380. I have travelled on this airline and aircraft many times. I have never encountered such a shambolic arrival at any airport, clearly Birmingham are not up to handling this sort of flight. I have flown many times using this airline but always using Heathrow. The staff at Birmingham were clueless, unhelpful and generally miserable. We waited almost an hour just to get to border control, after passing there were not enough trolleys. The ones lucky enough to get one had to pay £1. The baggage was absolute chaos, some were on the carousel, some were just dumped on the floor by the baggage handlers. Took almost 2 hours to get out. Will never travel from this airport again a total awful experience. Feel sorry for Emirates as this airport cannot cope just so clueless. I am a frequent flyer of Emirates but will always use Heathrow in the future as I have in the past at least they can cope with big aircraft and lots of people. Birmingham need to employ more professional staff as the ones I encountered certainly were not.
Date VisitApril 2016

"staff were professional and efficient"

My experience of using Birmingham Airport has been very different from some of the recent reviews listed here. I've used it several times in the last three months for flights to and from Dubai, on both Emirates and Turkish. On each use, whether arriving or departing, queues at departure security and arrival immigration have been virtually non-existent. Perhaps I've been lucky with my arrival and departure times (mid to late afternoon in all cases), but I've been able to speed through normal queues without any problems. This past week I simply walked up to a security scanner with not a single person queuing in front of me. Given that this is the airport for the second-largest city in the UK, the quietness and ease of use of the airport is a real attraction. On a recent weekday arrival on an international flight from Istanbul, I was out of the airport, in our car, and on my way within 30 minutes of landing. Clearly my positive experience is vastly different from some other users writing here, but that positive experience has been consistent. It's not an architecturally exciting airport, but it does the job efficiently enough. Airside facilities aren't particularly exciting, but they're reasonable enough given the size of the airport. The staff at WH Smith seemed to have had special training in how to be as surly and unhelpful as possible, but other staff were professional and efficient.
Date VisitApril 2016

"allow a massive amount of time"

I have had two recent experiences of travelling from Birmingham. The first was a business trip. When I travel business I am usually hand luggage only and allow less time on arrival before my flight. I arrived 1 hour before departure and was horrified to see an enormous queue snaking out from security. I asked one of the staff how long it would take and was reassured 20 minutes. No it was much longer. People were being sent back to take their shoes off and petty things like that. When my own bag went through it was stopped for a safety razor - a safety razor for goodness' sake. As offensive weapons go it is pretty useless and had passed through without a problem at the other airports I have used. This full bag search ensured I missed my flight. I returned with my daughter to go on holiday. This time I allowed 2 hours on account of my last experience and justified it to my daughter that we would be able to have a nice breakfast before take off. Yet again I was wrong. By the time we had checked in our bags and gone through security the flight was on last call. Just to prove it was no coincidence, when we returned we waited about a quarter of an hour before the carousel started to turn. A few bags came round and then it stopped. Meantime I went over to the outsize bags at carousel 1 but no skis. Eventually, some more bags came round and the carousel stopped again. A man came out and hit the emergency stop saying that might allow him to restart it but no. Still no skis at carousel 1. Then a fellow passenger, not a member of staff, shouted that the bags were coming on carousel 2. The display still said carousel 6 but with no staff to ask we followed our fellow passenger and sure enough the bags were coming off there. As I was leaving carousel 6 I saw my skis on the florr there. How they had got there I had no idea. We picked up our last bag 70 minutes after landing. If you are flying from Birmingham allow a massive amount of time to check in but also to collect any hold luggage when you return.
Date VisitMarch 2016