Vote Now

Birmingham Airport

"collecting baggage was shocking"

Quite simply worst airport I have ever experienced. From check in through security to collecting baggage it was shocking. We will never travel from here again - awful. Prefer to now drive extra hour to another airport as so bad at Birmingham. Complained but they didn't care really.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"there was a massive queue"

I have been using this airport for many years and have always been fairly happy with the way things run. My last flight both departure and arrival at Birmingham were problematic. I understand that security has had to be stepped up but the queue was outside in the bar and eating area. On my return, 22.35pm there was a massive queue for passport control. Only one official on the none EU desks and one on the EU desks. All automatic gates were working but still we waited 58 minutes. Just what you need after a long day.
Date VisitApril 2017

"one of the worst airports in the UK"

(Spain)

I thought this airport would get better when they modernised the security screening, how wrong I was. This must be one of the worst airports in the UK (along with Luton) for passing through security, it always takes a long time. Passport Control on arrival usually takes an age as well. Thankfully I no longer have to use BHX frequently.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"drive further and use Heathrow"

Verified Review | Birmingham airport really doesn't like passengers. I have the misfortune to go through this airport weekly and if an 8am flight then security queue is always huge, probably close to 45 minutes, they have of course put in more pay £5 for fast track machines, so they are aware of the issues but their solution is to charge people and only take 15 minutes through "fast track". Once inside seating has been reduced and replaced with shops and cafes, none of which seem to have trained staff. Natural light is minimum and oppressive. When you come back into the airport be prepared for a 30 minute wait for immigration as the automated machines are rarely working and I don't think I have ever seen them all working. So if you have anybody waiting to pick you up then you are in trouble. I think this is the only airport in the country that charges to drop off, if you are more than a few minutes waiting the charges as astronomical. Birmingham has been very successful in bringing more airlines in but it just ignores the fare paying passenger. It would probably be better to drive further and use Heathrow.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"security checks were all stress free and quick"

Verified Review | My mother and I flew from this airport on Flight F1495 to Keflavik (Reykjavik) on Monday 24 October 2016 and we were checked in by an extremely friendly lady – easily the best check in experience I've had at any airport in 30 years of flying! Passport control and security checks were all stress free and quick, and as we waited to board our flight our check in lady was still there, still smiling and being helpful. This certainly got our holiday off to a great start. Things were going just as well after our return Flight F1494 on Friday 28 October 2016 with no stress or problems until we reached passport control. As instructed by the signs I placed my passport in the machine, but nothing happened and several further attempts failed so a male member of staff barked, “Turn your passport round!” at me. I’m sure there are plenty of people who, like myself, aren’t technically savvy so could the signs make it clear which way to insert the passport in the hope it’ll prevent any future confusion? I was still unable to proceed much further so the same member of staff barked at me again, telling me to take off my glasses and look at the camera. Again, this may have been blindingly obvious to some people, but for first time passengers and those who are tired or not up to date with airport security etc. a bit of polite assistance wouldn’t go amiss! Had it not been for this member of staff I would’ve been able to give the airport a faultless review, but sadly this individual meant they fell at the final hurdle.
Date VisitOctober 2016

"they won't do anything to fix it"

Verified Review | Minimum security line of over 45 minutes at Birmingham Airport each week, for over four months now. They won't do anything to fix it or prevent from missing your flight. Budget is all that counts. You better drive to Heathrow or Stansted, if not saving time, it saves a lot of frustration.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"staff were like zombies"

This was the first time I have used Birmingham Airport and it will be the last. Security was slow and the staff were like zombies. The airport wasn't even busy. The staff need to go to Stansted to see what busy is. On our return flight we got off the plane only to queue to go up some stairs which were outside. We were lucky the weather wasn't horrific as we were stood around for 15 minutes not moving. It looked like the door was locked stopping us from going inside. Clearly no communication. Our luggage took ages to come through. The toilets were absolutely disgusting. Birmingham for an international airport should be ashamed.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"rather drive 2h to Heathrow it's so bad"

Birmingham is my local airport but I'd rather drive 2hrs to Heathrow it's so bad. No free pickup / drop off - rip-off Britain strikes again and you are required to pay. One night the security queue took 2hrs to get through - many missed budget airline flights. Another night, on return bags took 1.5hrs to arrive in the hall. Another day Fast Track security was slower than normal taking 1 hr to pass through. Foreign visitors arriving here must have a poor impression on the UK. Avoid.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"slow and inefficient security"

Finding a smoking area and toilets at Birmingham Airport was a nightmare as the signs boards were nowhere to be found. One of the very worst UK airports in my experience and far worse than their EU counterparts. Slow and inefficient security with surly staff, regular luggage problems and a car parking set-up that is borderline entrapment and designed purely to maximise revenue rather than help customers. Felt lost the whole time being in the airport.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"inept performance by ground staff"

Another totally inept performance by ground staff at Birmingham Airport. Kept waiting on the plane for the airbridge to connect to the door and when the Captain radioed to ask why, he was told "Sorry we didn't realise you had arrived". This is on the back of my arrival in December and had to queue for 50 minutes in arrival hall waiting to get through passport control although we were the only flight in the hall (approx 200 people).