Berlin Tegel Airport

Berlin Tegel Airport customer review

My bags arrived late. Normally not too much problem. However TXL ground staff most unhelpful. Had to ask 3 people to get the full story. There is no obvious place to go with your baggage voucher. We were directed to lost and found and brushed off my a man who just told us to go away. Eventually we found the Globeground office (no signposts) two nice ladies took our details. We tracked our luggage to Berlin through KLM. With our bags at TXL it took over 6 hours for them to make the 20 min journey to our hotel. I travel a lot with work and haven't come across such an epic fail. Last voluntary visit to Berlin as we came to relax not to get stressed.

Berlin Tegel Airport customer review

Berlin Tegel airport is an architectural masterpiece and it's concept is fantastic (round design for short distances). Back in the 1970 and 1980 that worked. But then the number of passengers grew and grew... Until the airport became as overcrowded as it is today. The airport is near the city centre but it lacks a train-connection to it. The staff is friendly and it is doing it's best. But Berlin Tegel during rush hour is a nightmare. The whole place is overcrowded space is limited so are the number of restaurants kiosks shops toilet facilities. I even had problems finding a place to sit down. Most parts of the airport including the immigration counters the airline desks and the toilet facilities still look like they must have looked like in 1985 or so. I like Berlin Tegel airport because it is near the city centre and because it is an icon of airport architecture. But it is good that Berlin is getting a new airport. I will miss Tegel airport but I will not miss the experience.

Berlin Tegel Airport customer review

As a frequent traveler I expect airport security personnel to be surly and poorly trained - that's a given. But the Securitas staff at D terminal exhibited a level of incompetence and indifference to their tasks that was not only disconcerting as a traveler but terrifying as a member of the public. The staff didn't seem to know anything about security topics equipment or procedures and even worse didn't seem to care. It only got worse when some of the passengers were exhibiting more professional and orderly security-oriented behavior than the Securitas staff pointing out bags that were unattended or dangerous material that wasn't handled properly.

Berlin Tegel Airport customer review

Arrival at Tegel was fine. Our baggage arrived very quickly and the baggage hall was only a few yards from the exit. A taxi was immediately available and we were into the city in no time. Presumably what helped was that our flight had been delayed and we were the only flight coming in at that time at that time of night. Departure in the middle of the afternoon was rather different. Signage is not good and even getting into the terminal through the crowds of people outside waiting for public transport into town was not easy. Inside was worse. Just like a prefab shed with hundreds of people standing in queues or milling about. There was very little room for the number of people. After security there was not nearly enough seating for people waiting for flights. The heat was intense and facilities were totally inadequate. I suppose that nothing is being done at Tegel because of the future opening of the new airport but the airport as it is would certainly make us think twice about using it again.

(Spain)

As a seasoned traveller I feel I have to comment on Berlin's Tegel Airport. Friday 30th August 2013 was my first visit sadly I have to go through there again next week but what a shambles! This has to be the worse designed airport in Western Europe it resembles a series of porta-cabins linked by wooden stairs and walkways with ridiculously cramped corridors little in the way of seating shops toilets lounges or comfort. Reading Air Berlin's literature one is under the impression that they keen to use Tegel as a hub and win customers! Well they may be providing a reasonable service but this airport will not assist in their objectives it has to be the worse I have seen in some 20+ years of travelling. A regular visitor to the capitals of Europe Middle East and South East Asia on a monthly basis with 70+ long hauls a year Tegel is even worse than Paris CDG now that's saying something!

Berlin Tegel Airport customer review

When departing from or arriving at Berlin Tegel Airport it does not matter if you fly Air France or Air Berlin like a I frequently do you always feel like you step into a third world country. The airport is small overcrowded. The security personnel are rude and make crude jokes. The toilets are small and dirty. The duty free services are a joke. It is a shame that Germany's capital has such a disgrace of an airport system.

Berlin Tegel Airport customer review

Airport is quite small and neat but the shopping possibilities are not got Terminal A Duty Free shop when entered the security area is tiny.

Berlin Tegel Airport customer review

A shambles of an airport one entry point to security for my flight but shared with 2 other flights and only one security line. Resulting chaos had airline pleading for an extra security check. Security check when I got to the line had Teutonic thoroughness as an excuse of incompetent slowness - a view shared by many fellow passengers. Apparently a new airport was to be ready last year but faults meant it has been knocked down and has to be rebuilt and won't be ready until 2015.

Berlin Tegel Airport customer review

This must be the most inefficient airport for international travel I have come across. Instead of having a centralised passport and security area each Gate has its own security and passport area which are set up on landing and after check-in. The net result is that after landing there is a queue stretching back to the aircraft while immigration is carried out. That's bad enough but on departure our area was not set up until 1 hour 15 minutes before the departure time. As we had arrived in good time we and other passengers were stuck on what little seating there was for 45 minutes until the security and passport area was set up. The lesson is - don't arrive earlier than 90 minutes before your departure time because you will only have to wait.

(South Africa)

This has to be the most chaotic airport I have travelled to (and I do over ten international flights per year in Africa USA and Europe). On arrival there is virtually no information on transport to the city and on leaving there is absolutely no signage as to where the various airlines fly from. I eventually found Air France in Terminal D. I then volunteered to go on standby and was allowed into the Air France lounge. Going through security took an absolute age and then the boarding gate area was chaos. Too many flights for the space. And virtually no toilets. I did not get on my original flight and was then sent back to the Air France desk who where severely understaffed and completely unable to operate their computer system. I have now back at the lounge with no ticket while they try and figure out how to do something that should be obvious. In summary the airport as a whole is chaotic and understaffed. The facilities are outdated and too few for the number of flights catered.