Berlin Tegel Airport

Review by (New Zealand) 31st May 2015

How much longer will Berlin's main airport keep going? The German capital's new international airport is behind schedule but should open in a year or so - 2016-18. Maybe. At present this airport seems impossibly small for a major city. We used it to ferry us back to Frankfurt to catch an international flight. Upsides: Tegel is compact and there's a good bar with Weissbier before you go through the very comprehensive security check. I am all for good security so that's a plus in my books. Also Tegel is easy to reach by taxi from most parts of the city (less than half an hour) and affordable (about €15-20). Downside: The airport is very basic with few other facilities on offer.

Review by (Germany) 31st May 2015

Berlin Tegel is a usually overcrowded airport which has to deal with more than twice as much passengers as it has been designed for. The terminals C and D are merely temporary tents than firm buildings. But if you are lucky to use the main Terminals A and B in the morning without too much traffic yet you will enjoy the very small distances and all the helpful facilities how it has been originally intended. And that is really fine.

Review by (Netherlands) 27th May 2015

What a shameful Airport! Even Third World countries would-be embarrassed. Old dirty only buses no train or subway hardly any shops not enough aerobridges so we needed to walk to a bus to get in and out of the plane. Is this an airport of one of the world's leading cities?

Review by (United States) 16th April 2015

My husband and I flew through Berlin Tegel airport in December of 2014 on the way back to Chicago from visiting his father in Germany. They had cancelled our return flight so we had to connect through Berlin. My husband who was born in Germany and I travel frequently but had never been to Berlin. I will tell you that I will never go back to Berlin just from the unpleasant people at the airport! We had flown from Zurich to Berlin on #8120 connecting to Chicago #7420 on December 2 2014. The first bad thing happened when we got out of the airplane and were in the airport. We could not see any signs on where to go for our next flight. My husband suggested that I ask a nearby clerk and I asked where gate IAB was or something like that. She got really nasty and said "can't you read?" Yes I can read perfectly fine and my husband is a United Gold member who travels constantly and we could not find a sign for it. Then the TSA people! My husband was strip searched and when I was going through the security the women were horribly rude. Instead of asking me to please remove my scarf they pointed and yelled at me. They said "your scarf - take it off!" The airport was terribly furnished and uncomfortable for our layover - metal chairs. You have to realize that this is the first impression of a city that a person has. I will never go back there. It was very unpleasant and quite scary to be frank with you. Why do they need to be like that? Simple courtesy is always the best rule but I guess it doesn't apply to Berlin. Very disappointed and extremely upset after our layover there.

Review by (Sweden) 28th March 2015

I visited Berlin Tegel today it must be the worst airport at least in Europe at the moment. Nothing worked. I myself was in good time at the airport already checked in and no luggage. While waiting in the crowds at Terminal D there was NO flight during two hours where not 10-12 passengers were missing with luggage due to the lines at the security check! Our flight was one hour late (I got a SMS) but there was not only sign at the gate that there was a delay no personal from the SAS airline and no one from the airport. People got desperate! Absolute unacceptable even when the airport personal came after one hour delay not explaining that the flight was delayed (and of course no excuse) just boarding "as normal". By the way all lounges are OUTSIDE the security check I waited so two hours in a cold poor hall.

Review by (South Africa) 24th March 2015

Yesterday I arrived in Berlin Tegel. It is true that this airport is very crowded. But you should never forget that this airport was not planned for that number of passengers. It was one of the shortest walks from the plane to the taxi stand I have experienced. The people working at the airport got their own charm if you want to see it from the positive site. Others would say they are rude but that is the mentality of real Berliner. The Airport is close to the city centre and therefor my first choice in Berlin.

Review by (United States) 24th March 2015

For an airport in a major European capital city I was shocked at how small this airport was! The only separation between the airline check in desks and the gates was a small glass wall. There were not enough places to do shopping. I was flying a domestic flight from TXL to DUS and I thought the airport was too small for that flight. I can not imagine flying internationally out of this airport because of the small size.

Review by (Australia) 6th September 2014

Shabby unimpressive. Lots of signs not easy to follow. Pretty expensive food. Check-in was not smooth.

Review by (United Kingdom) 1st September 2014

Check-in was quick and easy (with BA). The nightmare started as we walked away from the check-in desk. We didn't know where to go the security was badly sign-posted and when we did find it we were told to "go and wait outside". So we waited outside of the security area for a few minutes until finally we were told that we could go through - when I say that we were 'told' I mean that a man waved his hand at us to go through whilst still deep in conversation with his colleague. The first security man (quite miserable-looking) asked for our boarding passes then as we were getting them out he continued to shout "boarding passes" at us. He asked us "are there liquids in the bags" to which we replied "no". The bags were then thrown into the scanner and we walked through the metal detector. There was no one there to tell us when to go through as four of them were having a conversation. We then waited for our bags to come out of the scanner. There was a man glancing at the screen of the scanner. He asked us (in German) "who's bag is this?" I sad that it was my bag. He then asked if there was a 'computer' in it - it had my iPad in it. So I was asked to take it out which I did happily. My sister's bag containing her iPad came through after mine he asked her the same questions. He then shouted "you were asked to take the computers out" and pointed to his friend who then appeared and shouted at us. I do not appreciate being made to feel like this by people who are supposed to be in a position of trust and meant to keep people safe.

Review by (United States) 18th June 2014

Has to be one of the worst airports to fly out of. The airport is old inefficient and has no redeeming qualities. I flew an international flight out of Berlin on Air Berlin from Tegel to Chicago. The passport control had a line almost an hour long with one guy checking people in. Once through passport control you go through the electronic screening and then get placed in a holding area which has no bathrooms hardly any seats (probably half of what is needed) and no services. The airport also has not internet access for travelers except expensive paid internets through service providers. Its really a dismal place and an airport to be avoided if at all possible.