Airline of the Year

Berlin Tegel Airport

"never encountered anything like Tegel"

Verified Review | Who knew I'd be compelled to write a review about an airport. It's that bad. I was flying from New York to Budapest, with two connections in Düsseldorf and Berlin. Düsseldorf was such a pleasant surprise-shiny, bright, inviting. We land in Berlin and were immediately confused by the configuration. Thought since it was a connecting flight, we'd land and then head straight to the next gate. Instead we were routed to the exit and had to re-enter security. I get that for port of entry but was thoroughly confused for domestic connections. Also, the gate waiting areas are tiny. The security lines spit you out literally 6 feet from the waiting area and you have to take a minute to get your bearings. Oh, and there are no gate agents/counter. In my world travels I've never encountered anything like Tegel.
Date VisitMay 2017

"stood with their hands in their pockets"

(China)

Verified Review | Confusing signage to start with. Security personnel stood with their hands in their pockets asking the passengers to move the containers. What's worse - custom posts all vacant 1 hour before boarding, leaving all passengers sitting in the corridor or a "Lounge" charging 36 euros per entry if you travel economy. Not coming back here.

"they were beyond rude"

Verified Review | Berlin Tegel was a very poor airport to travel through and one I'd certainly try to avoid in future. It had the appearance of an airport in a third world country, not the capital city of a supposed major economy of the world. The system they had in place for security checks was so unbelievably inefficient. I was in a queue for 50 minutes to get through to my gate. Even in minor regional airports in Thailand and India there was more efficient and courteous service. I had hoped to live a lifetime without experiencing being barked at by German authoritarians in uniforms. They were beyond rude. Horrible experience.

"cold and uninviting"

Berlin Tegel airport is fairly awful. It didn't feel like any aesthetic updates had been made to it since it was first built. Everything airside looks extremely outdated and from the 70s. The floors, walls, everything looks and feels cold and uninviting. I hear the other airport is just as bad so maybe there aren't many good options for airports in terms of flying in / out of Berlin.
Date VisitApril 2017

"not enough seating areas"

Verified Review | Just too small. I really didn't enjoy connecting at Berlin Tegel. Not enough seating areas. Long walks to get to the door and checking counter if you arrive by bus. The lounge for oneworld is outside the security zone. After security you are just at the boarding gate with almost nothing to do.
Date VisitApril 2017

"this airport is unacceptable"

(Liechtenstein)

Verified Review | As the major airport of the capital of one of the largest economies in the world, this airport is unacceptable. The main terminal is narrow, outdated, and too small to handle the amount of passengers flying through this airport. The Lufthansa lounges are located before the security check in Terminal A which can cause inconveniences. My flight departed from Terminal D and to get there I had to leave Terminal A, go outside, and enter into the building next door, which is more like a big container rather than a terminal. The security check was overcrowded and many passengers almost missed their fights (It is not a nice feeling to be stuck at security while your flight is being announced for boarding). Finally, there were no jetways for boarding, instead we had to walk to the airplane, a procedure I only know from regional airports or airports in third world countries.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"as a tourist I felt very unwelcome"

(Finland)

Verified Review | I travelled through Berlin Tegel Airport on my holiday to Berlin. The customer service at customs and at the cafe near gates 60-63 was terrible. The lady who did a routine check to me at the customs yelled at me when I didn't understand what she was saying. She was talking to me in German at first and when I asked her in English to explain she got angry and yelled. There was no line behind me and I wasn't trying to slow down the process. At the cafe I ordered a beer and a chocolate croissant and the server asked me is that what I really want to order. Then he said something in German to a colleage next to him about chocolate croissant and a cappuccino. Apparently complaining about my order. As a tourist I felt very unwelcome and as if they were angry at me. Of course there were very polite staff as well at the airport but these unpleasant ones sadly were not my only uncomfortable experiences with customer service in Berlin. You should make people feel welcome to come and visit your wonderful city and not like they are your enemies.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"the best capital airport I know"

Verified Review | Airport of short and direct ways. This is the best capital airport I know! From the bus stop to the check in-counter it took me about 90 seconds, to be checked in about 2 minutes, security check about 7 minutes including queuing. All staff friendly and even wished me a good flight. Internet fast and available everywhere (free of charge for one hour). The downsides: the airport is too small for the number of passengers they handle, sometimes a bit crowded. If the airplane is waiting on an external parking position you need to take a bus. Bus drivers are fast accellerating and braking, so you should grab a handle whenever you can.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"an old and outworn airport"

(Austria)

Verified Review | Berlin Tegel is an old and outworn airport and definitely not suitable for a capital with 3.5 million inhabitants. Moreover, it is cramped nearly all day long due to its low capacity for which it was desinged decades ago. On the other hand, the airport is well connected to the city centre via various express-bus lines.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"not enough seating for volume of passengers"

(Finland)

Berlin Tegel airport is a reason to avoid Berlin. It is too crammed and too small for the number of passengers. Not enough seating or spaces at gates for such a high volume of passengers. Very dirty. Departure is worse than arrival. The check in and the security check concept is a joke, the information signs are very few and bad. Take time to understand how to get inside (each gate have got the own check-in desk and the own security check point). The staff are rude. The bathrooms smell so I did not try. The outside looks like a village bus station. There are bus stops, but it is difficult to find the bus transportation. You must to be informed about the public transport and know the bus number before your trip, because the information at the airport is non-existent.
Date VisitNovember 2016