Top 100 Airports

Berlin Tegel Airport

"communications system barely functioning"

While I'm certainly not a globetrotter, I have been to dozens of domestic and International airports, and so far, Berlin Tegel has been the worst. Frankly, it's a dump. It looks like a pre WWII warehouse that has been hastily transitioned into an airport. The bathrooms are small and not well-maintained (with a pungent smell), adequate climate control is severely lacking, the dirty metal seats are about what I'd expect to sit on at Pyongyang's airport and the communications system is barely functioning. No clear signage, no readily viewable display boards, few electrical outlets and few amenities. Not only do airport employees do a terrible job communicating flight delays, disruptions, etc to travelers, but the PA system is so dated and inaudible it makes everything sound like gobbledygook. And I forgot to mention the security is antiquated and slow. The security folks dilly dally and are not mindful of travelers in queue. Bottom line is I will never fly into / out of TXL ever again.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"never make a transit via Berlin again"

Berlin Tegel is the worst Airport I have ever seen. Terminal D feels like a container. Toilets dirty and dilapidated, high temperatures inside the terminal, unsufficient catering, wrong or misleading info signs, acoustically absolutely non-audible announcements. In the bus to the plane we had to wait 25 minutes, full of passengers, outside 33 degrees hot with open doors. I can no believe that this is an airport of an European capital. I'll never make a transit via Berlin again.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"didn't really have a chance to explore"

We flew into Berlin Tegal via Air Berlin as part of our connection flight from New York JFK and on to Krakow (KRK). We had a scheduled 1 hour, 50 minute layover, which is a bit short for an international flight, especially when having to go through Passport, but we figured we would be okay. Our flight was delayed almost an hour leaving JFK, which was a bit of a worry to start. Before we landed, we were informed we would land at Terminal A, and the list of connections informed us that our flight to Krakow would leave from Terminal C. In most airports, this isn't a huge issue, and is quite normal. Unfortunately, at Tegel, Terminal C is disconnected from the rest of the airport, and to access it, you would have to leave the airport and then enter Terminal C and go through security all over again. So, already running behind, still having to exit a plane with 300 other people, go through Passport, then run to another terminal and go back through airport security, we were needless to say in a bit of a panic as we were coming in on our approach. Despite all that, passport, we made it through Passport rather quickly, and luckily, Tegel is quite small, so leaving terminal A and walking to terminal C took all of 2 minutes. Our biggest worry was getting stuck in a late morning throng of travelers at the security gate. We arrived to find 10 security lines (as opposed to the 2 you find in some American TSA lines), and we were quickly ushered through, and with in 3 minutes, we were in Terminal C, and at our gate with 25 minutes to spare. While we didn't get to experience much of the rest of the airport, Terminal C is a large open room with several 'gates' that take you to a bus that ferries you to your flight. C tends to be used for a lot of the short connection flights to so its not really as nice as most waiting areas in other airports. Very simple, concrete floor, and a very basic design. There seemed to be plenty of amenities, but we didn't really have a chance to explore and find out. Overall, what could have been a disastrous experience, turned out just fine.
Date VisitMay 2016

"not what is expected of a capital city airport"

(Indonesia)

I departed from Berlin Tegel and sorry to say that, TXL is not what is expected of a capital city airport. It was too crammed and small. The immigration was placed on each gate, so once I passed I was in a small waiting room with only 1 shop and 1 cafe. Nothing to do after immigration, just sat on the metal chair waiting for the boarding announcement. Nothing to do with several Euros left in my pocket. The check-in queue was too long that people had to line up in front of shops. Certainly, not recommended to travel through this airport. Better to go through Munich.

"does not really cope"

(China)

The airport is an over-extended version of what was the Berlin airport in the American sector of West Berlin during the time the city was divided. The design of it, while much effort has been spent in upgrading, does not really cope with today's traffic. Airport lounges are all land-side, and there are many boarding points but without clear signage that I need much time in finding my way in. But probably you board just behind the check-in counter. As Berlin is now a big city, I am inclined to think they really need a rebuilt airport. But the location is near city centre and as such much better than the SXF airport. City buses run frequently from nearly everywhere in Berlin.
Date VisitJune 2016

"even worse than I had expected"

I was transiting in TXL two days ago and it was even worse than I had expected. I had travelled to and from TXL several times and have also been transiting here occasionally but this experience really takes the cake. After our arrival, we had to wait on the apron, because there was literally no marshall available to guide us into the parking position. It took us some time on the apron. After having reached our final parking position, there was no bus available to take us to the gate. So we had to wait again. After some more minutes, there was finally a bus coming, which drove us some 10 meters to the terminal. The C terminal in TXL is really unpleasant. It is way overcrowded, has one duty free shop, a small shop and a cafe and that's about it. There is no lounge apart from the Air Berlin exclusive waiting area. On my inbound trip had to transit in TXL again. This time, I had to walk from terminal C to terminal A, which means I had to leave the building walk to the other terminal and pass another security check again. In the A terminal, every gate has its own security check. However, the line for the security check was incredibly long and I was hardly able to reach my connecting flight. The airport itself is, from my point of view outdated and far away from being modern. The seating areas, toilets and shopping facilites are dirty, not functioning and not appealing at all.
Date VisitJune 2016

"not easy to navigate"

Berlin Tegel is dirty, not easy to navigate and the staff are unfriendly. Every time I have to go through it, I end up running from Terminal C to A, which means I have to go outside to reach Terminal A. There is no way to stay in a secure area.

"an unfriendly airport"

(Sweden)

Berlin Tegel is an unfriendly airport - unpleasant airport staff (especially at security and the bus drivers). Poor directional signs and complicated planning of the whole airport complex. Very difficult to get to the buses and impossible to buy bus tickets with foreign bank / credit cards on the most of ticket vending machines. Shabby and not very clean. Avoid this airport as often as you can.

"shabby, crowded"

Shabby, crowded, without proper facilities or adequately functioning systems. Absurdly slow security checks / passport control (I stood in a barely moving queue for an hour). Zero customer service and rude staff.
Date VisitMay 2016

"airport ran completely dysfunctionally"

The airport is not open 24 hours. Last year while traveling to this airport, we were not able to get in 2 hours prior to our 6.00am departure. This year, we showed up at 4.20 and nearly missed our 6.00am departure. The system they utilize is inefficient. They have 4 working machines to check in, which is a huge bottlenecked mess down near the line for security. You then take your paper to the counter where the line zig-zags so you can check your bags. At the time, AirFrance/KLM had 4 people working the counter. As soon as I was up, I told the lady who was helping us that we had a group of 8 who were trying to catch our flight (by this time it was 5.30 and most of my students had not yet been able to get through the check in line). The lady helped me and told me to have them come to her 2x2 to get checked in and check in our bags. One positive thing was my bag was overweight and I had to pay the fee. Last year I was required to leave this section of the airport to go pay at another, and this year I was able to go to the end of this counter to pay. The woman would not let me take 2 carry on bags, which Delta/KLM state are okay. I was then supposed to pay another fee for an extra checked piece of luggage. As soon as this woman was done helping me, she decided she was done and left, this left many of my students without the option of checking in. They switched lines and tried another woman who said she was taking a break and they needed to figure out another line to enter. This airport (or maybe just AirFrance/KLM) ran completely dysfunctionally. Security finally stepped in and had only those passengers traveling to Amsterdam at 6.00 going through which sped up the process and they also stepped in to allow those traveling on a 6:00am flight to go ahead at the counter to be checked in so they could make their flight. At 5.55am, the last of our group arrived on the plane, being chastised by the woman who was boarding people; little did she know there were still people behind us running through security trying to catch their flight, as well.