Berlin Tegel Airport

"Wholly insufficient"

Not Verified | International departures is essentially a warehouse with a duty free store, a magazine stand and a small sandwich stand. Wholly insufficient for the number of people that come through this terminal. There are maybe 10 places to charge electronic devices in the whole terminal. No air bridges means that every time a flight boards it becomes incredibly loud in the terminal. The HVAC system is woefully under powered, we were there in 30+ degree heat and it was miserable. Airport wifi only lasts for 30 minutes before you have to reconnect.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"Worst of the worst in Western Europe"

(Belgium)

Not Verified | Horrible airport! Worst of the worst in Western Europe. This airport is a shame for any self-respecting country or capital city. When I arrived, it was chaos all around: - no security staff around. Some passengers ended up at the exit without having passed passport control or the luggage belt - no signs or any explanation on where to go. Passengers asking for help were treated like dirt - rude and arrogant ground staff: not a word of English and they couldn't care less (they tell you so in German!). Not quite your best exampe of country branding... - old and dated infrastructure, filthy all around It's puzzling how the capital of Germany has such a low-standard airport (apparently the other one is just as bad). Never again will I pass through TXL. Avoid it at all cost!

"under all standards"

(Sweden)

Not Verified | I do not usually leave reviews but this airport is under all standards. Having a connecting flight I had to leave the terminal where I landed and exit the airport in order to go to my next terminal, which was difficult due to very poor signage. After having found my terminal at last I went inside and it was roasting due to no air conditions. The terminal was packed with people but there was no place to sit at all. I later went to Starbucks where the staff were very rude for some reason (have worked as a barista myself so know what is considered normal courtesy). The toilets were absolutely disgusting and looked as though they hadn’t been cleaned in days. I later found my gate where there was a massive queue for 3 different flights. This queue barely moved at all and blocked most of the room. Having checked in already and having no luggage I instead waited in the line for security. All the people who checked in later also stood in this line but the line did not move at all. We stood like this for probably 40 minutes and were given no information at all as to why we were not moving. The people who had checked in (who had already waited in line for about 25 minutes) joined the line and everyone were quiet upset. The security took ages as they would only let one person pass at a time and as we were going to three different flights you can imagine this took ages. I would not recommend this airport to anyone and am going to do my best to never come here again. Someone who usually doesn’t complain.

"Long slow lines"

Trip Verified | An absolute dump for a European capital City airport. Long slow lines, bathrooms that were no more than portacabins, departure gates that resembled a cattle she'd with gates so close together I couldn't tell what line was for what flight.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"What a terrible airport"

(Italy)

Not Verified | What a terrible airport. Travelled through in August with Easyjet. Another customer favourite. Luggage never arrived. No one was there to assist. There was no desk to report lost luggage inside like any normal airport so had to be done in another queue outside the terminal. Rude. Unhelpful. Disorganised and horrendously incapable of doing anything properly. Was given a number and website to track baggage via a company called Wisag. Another terrible experience. Still waiting a week later. Coming from Italy with customer service an alien term this is by far the worst service I have encountered. I wish I didn't have to fly here but family live northern Germany so no other alternative. I hate the airport and ant service associated with them.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"can't be a recommended airport"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | TXL airport is the worst airport where I ever been. I arrived with KLM and when I get to the terminal gate the inside temperature was unbelievable high (around 35ºC) and I don't see any air conditioned system working. The KLM used a E195 to do this route and I had to wait for more than 40 minutes for my luggage. The terminal signs are bad and find the tourism office to get some information was an adventure. I departed with Easyjet that uses the terminal C. This terminal is a nightmare. I bought some sandwiches for me and my family and we had to sit in the floor. The shopes are a joke. So, TXL can't be a recommended airport for anyone.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"such a shame for such a great city"

(Belgium)

Not Verified | After having visited more than 400 airports all over the world I wasn’t expecting to find the very worst of them in Berlin! That airport is such a shame for such a great city! Everything is old, the staff are rude and most doo not speak English (a security officer even tried to intimidate me, until I asked him to call the police). It’s hot, busses to the U-Bahn are way too crowded and slow, very few and overpriced restaurants and shops, no wifi, etc. Avoid as much as you can! Next time I’ll come by train.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"one of the worst airports"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Berlin Tegel is one of the worst airports I have ever used. It is badly laid out, has very poor signage, and is very much in need of an upgrade. I was unlucky enough to experience both an arrival and a departure. The arrival was particularly bad as my luggage went missing and I had to spend two hours queuing to report the missing bag. When I joined the queue, there were two people staffing the desk. After an hour, one person left and never returned. I felt very sorry for the remaining person trying to deal with a growing number of unhappy people. She told me her shift had finished forty minutes earlier, but it didn’t look like anyone was turning up to relieve her. My departure was not fun either. I arrived for my international flight two hours before the departure time to find that the check in desks weren’t even open. After about fifteen minutes a couple of people turned up, chatted to each other and went about getting set up. Eventually I was able to check in. I was then told that the security people wouldn’t be there for another thirty minutes, so another wait. When I finally got through security, there wasn’t much there. There were very few seats, not much in the way of refreshments available, and there didn’t appear to be any lounges. As I had a business class ticket, I expected to get something for all the extra money I’d paid, but I was out of luck. If anyone is going to Berlin, I’d recommend going by train if at sll possible.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"such a dysfunctional infrastructure"

Trip Verified | Most annoying airport in western europe. Ridiculously small and always something here. So often problems with getting of the plane for example due to lack of staff or no equipment available. Other airport in Berlin equally bad, new airport far far away from being realized. Really unbelievable how a country like Germany allows its capital to have such a dysfunctional infrastructure.

"very limited facilities"

Not Verified | What a wonderful airport! There are at least 999 better airports I know of. Not enough room, very limited facilities, hot as hell with no A/C, Wifi is slow, bathrooms dirty. It reminds me of NY LaGuardia (LGA), one of the worst. The bathrooms have disgusting cloth towels in the dispenser - I haven't seen that in 30 years. If you want to visit a museum relic from the 60's, this is the place to be, otherwise, wait for the new airport to open in 2, 3, 4, 5 years. No one seems to know when it will open.