Top 100 Airlines

Belfast Airport

"place is jam packed"

The management of this airport need to take a good hard look at themselves. I usually fly in on a Friday evening and return on a Sunday evening. It is always the same. My partner is stressed trying to pick me up through the traffic queues into the airport. Leaving every Sunday is always stressful. The place is jam packed, not enough seats in the bars/cafes, people sitting on the floor, rude staff that scan your passport. You get a real sensation of how pigs feel being pushed into a pen just before slaughter. It's a shambles. Definitely considering using Belfast City which is soooo stress free in comparison to this place.
Date VisitMay 2016

"customer service again poor"

Arrived at airport having used the airport twice monthly at least for the last two years. I flew in from Edinburgh on Friday. At security staff have returned to their old ignorant I don't care attitude. This had improved in the last year but I was asked if I had a tablet in my bag after it went through, I replied that there was just a kindle, staff replied with, were you not told to remove kindles, it was a reader not a tablet and they looked at me as if I was stupid. I have never had to remove my kindle from my luggage. I asked when this rule was changed and he thought it changed a couple of weeks ago. That is fine if true, but why not tell people and explain it is the new rules. The lady at the scanner was the worst. Customer service again poor.
Date VisitMarch 2016

"whole place looks run down"

Now I remember why I stopped using this place and started using City Airport instead. It's way out of Belfast so the name is all wrong. Security are so surly, the whole place looks run down and finally the system for co-ordinating boarding passes pre flight and the aircraft becoming available for boarding, seem to be totally disconnected. I will not be going through this airport again if I can possibly help it.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"surly staff at security"

Belfast International has been in a state of flux for years as it’s undergoing one of those gradual rolling upgrade programs that started about 5 or so years ago and is set to continue into the future for years to come. So you’re never quite sure what to expect on arrival. On our latest visit last month the place appears to have stabilised a little in terms of the rate of change. It was nearly a year since the last visit before this one and there wasn’t much difference. The airport is well enough laid out and the services for the size of the terminal are very good - on paper at least. The food court offers a wide range of food and drinks and the stand alone places add variety. Trouble is the food court itself doesn’t have any views from windows and so not much natural light either for that matter. If you are sitting waiting to go somewhere you want to be waiting in a pleasant environment. That leaves Starbucks or Fed & Watered to choose from above purely food driven choice. We chose Fed & Watered as Starbucks although fine has more ‘café’ food which anyone who’s been to a Starbucks will be familiar with. We had been disappointed by this place before but went back thinking that its couldn’t be consistently that bad and still be in business, sadly it was. A staff member who had to be continually prompted by a manager in the background to serve the customers standing in front of her, to the food itself that was of a quality that wouldn’t look out of place coming out of a microwave on a petrol station forecourt, this place is a disappointment, especially when you are paying the inflated airport process that most travellers will be used to. I guess it’s the captive audience that keeps the place going. The other issue, is as has been pointed out by others, the awful attitude of surly staff at security. Across the whole airport experience staff have been great at this airport, but it is the negative treatment by security staff that I always take away with me after each visit here. Seating I find to be an issue as well, it is limited, especially in terms of a type that you could spend more than a short wait at, with the food and drink outlets having most of the more comfortable areas, which I'm sure is the point, i.e. to drive you to spend money to sit there. This airport could really up its appeal if they paid attention to quality from food outlets across the range, made sure that security staff undertook their duties with more common courtesy and they gave the very dated and worn arrivals areas a quick make over, that is what many travellers will see of N.I. first after all, and you only get 1 chance to make a first impression!

"service is indifferent"

This review is about Belfast Airport. I have travelled frequently in the past year through airports in America, Europe, Asia and Australia. BFS is the only airport where I note that pax including myself receive consistently degrading treatment when passing through security. It's not that staff are impolite - sometimes they are - but the lack of concern for pax dignity and privacy is appalling. Pax are frequently asked to empty the entire contents of their bags in front of others. Although pax can request a private screening, this is time consuming, and during busy periods will incur the wrath of staff and other pax. Put up a screen in situ - how difficult is that? The airport restaurants are expensive and service is indifferent - but then so is everywhere else. It's really at security these days where proper leadership can make a difference. I note that at every other airport staff can conduct random searches on bags without needing to empty the contents.
Date VisitDecember 2015

"a horrible experience"

Arrived at 2.30pm on a not particularly busy Saturday afternoon. Restaurant area was closed off with chairs on tables so tough if you wanted lunch. Forced then to sit in the bar area with two young boys listening to the usual bar chat. Bar area was grubby and unwelcoming but worst of all just dirty with papers and food remnants lying all over the floor. On top of that how many money grabbing tacky machines can you squeeze into one place? All in all a horrible experience and a third rate airport especially compared to Belfast city.
Date VisitOctober 2015

"staff were less than helpful"

On arrival from our holiday in Turkey we waited an hour before our baggage was released to baggage area. The staff were less than helpful and when the lady was approached by fellow travellers she replied its not my fault and walked off, not even an explanation.

Belfast Airport customer review

I visited this airport with my sister for a flight back to London Gatwick on Friday 15th May and the staff in all the shops and bars were absolutely fantastic and had a friendly and welcoming nature but my good feeling was shattered when we went through security. The lady whose queue we were in was barking out orders relating to phones ipads etc at all the customers and throwing around the plastic trays as if she was "throwing her toys out of the pram". We placed our luggage in the trays only to be told/growled at that "You don't need to put your cases in the trays". We said that this was procedure at Gatwick but she just didn't listen. She picked my case up and hurled it face down on the conveyor belt. It was a good job I didn't have an iPad otherwise it would have been smashed. She then barked at me "Is this your bag?" which actually wasn't as the owner had already gone through the screening arch. She then decided to pick on my sister by shouting that the plastic bag with the toiletries in was not acceptable she replied that it was OK at Gatwick so why not here? There was no response to this other than a tiny plastic bag being thrown at her with the result of her having to put some items in my toiletries bag or throw them away. We both went through the screening arch and I got stopped screened and searched but at least the young lady there was sympathetic when I asked her to be careful as I'd had a hip operation and was still in recovery. I think that overall the Security staff have a difficult job to perform which is very important to all our safety and security but when you are met with a surly rude arrogant condescending "Rottweiler" it is not a very good advertisement for the Airport or Northern Ireland in general.

Belfast Airport customer review

On outward journey before going through security the first cafe on left only managed a stone cold cooked breakfast that had to be returned. Had to leave without anything to eat. On return passengers have to climb flights of stairs with hand luggage no lift for senior citizens. Security is fine by me we all need to feel safe travelling so read the rules get the right size of plastic bag wear the right shoes etc. It is annoying but necessary in all airports so why do people take it personally if stopped for any reason? Having listened to some moaners in my queue they are usually latecomers from the bar or are ignorant of protocol. In both cases a lesson in their own courtesy wouldn't go astray. Since we are all in the same boat or plane in this case shouldn't people lighten up as so as we can all have a more pleasant experience in the airport? Security staff have a job to do and as far as I am concerned when my children and grandchildren are travelling through continents there are few jobs as important. As for loos and like every other airport not enough loos for ladies!

Belfast Airport customer review

I think Belfast international is a lovely place to arrive and depart from. All airport staff are friendly and always willing to help if you have any questions. People complain about security if passengers followed instructions and not pack unsuitable items in hand luggage it would be much quicker. You cannot blame the staff there and I have witnessed some very rude passengers with their attitude to staff in general. BIA is a credit to Northern Ireland and gives a good impression to visitors and local people as well.