Airline of the Year

Belfast Airport

"an uncomfortable experience indeed"

Verified Review | Outward trip 10th May, all was well with check in and security, terminal was very busy. Wifi good and easy to connect, long queues at retailers for food etc and vending machines expensive compared to Euro airports. Return trip May 21st, as a disabled traveller I use the superb OCS teams amb-lift so I avoid stairs and steps as I have severe walking difficulties. Our OCS lady had said when we (3x wheelchairs and me) get up to top corridor to keep left as it was very busy today, usually I am either in a wheelchair or when I feel up to it I amble along down the long empty corridor the other walking passengers having long been through passport control. Imagine my shock to see this rather long corridor, maybe at a guess 1/4 mile long absolutely bunged full width and almost full length crammed with folk from X amount of flights with feeder lanes of people forming on the airport apron all heading into an already bunged 10 feet wide 8 feet high rectangle crammed with returning international travellers. The heat was stifling, it didn't feel as there was air con if there was it wasn't cutting it, as I pottered along as fast as I could to keep up with the OCS in front of me with a wheelchair. We were squeezing past as best we could but it was rather claustrophobic, hot, an uncomfortable experience indeed, and all for Passport control. I know border security is paramount, but the powers that be knew hours before who was coming on them flights, ID had already been pre supplied as per European passport sharing. Finally got to Passport control 4 desks all manned but 4 at a time is not helping when there's an ever growing stream of people piling into what I see as nothing short of a crush zone and fire hazzard as very poor escape exits. Not a pleasant experience and a daunting one for holidaymakers coming to Belfast International for the 1st time.
Date VisitMay 2017

"the staff are so rude"

Verified Review | What a joke for an International Airport. The queues for checking in were slow. Coming back through passport control is even worse. The staff are so rude. One gentleman in particular practically threw my passport back at me. Obviously they are not well trained in customer service.
Date VisitMay 2017

"Belfast is slowly getting better"

Verified Review | Belfast is slowly getting better. Arrivals swift. Departures fine and even the security efficient and quite quick for an establishment that has a poor reputation. Smiling staff too who looked genuinely interested and no forced purchase of a compliant bag for 100ml toiletries. Improved shopping and even though the boarding gates area was crowded, it was a short wait until boarding commenced. Well done Belfast. I feel that there must be better improved management in place for this airport that was once almost unacceptable in its customer service standards. Handy tip. Get out at the roundabout 100m from the door to avoid the £1 parking fee which lets its reputation down. I saved £2 total - for both ways. WiFi excellent as well and easy to log on.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"worst waiting times for security"

Belfast Airport has the worst waiting times for security I have ever experienced - never sufficiently staffed. If you're using this airport make absolutely certain you get there in good time to get through security. The airport is otherwise unremarkable but the time taken to get through security really is unacceptable.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"at least 40 minutes to get through security"

In the last six months I have been to Portugal, New York and Glasgow. Belfast airport was the worst that I unfortunately had to travel through. You need to give yourself at least 40 minutes to get through security. In New York it took us 15 minutes, Belfast took us 35. They have a cheek to charge for security fast track and then let people in that line if it's too busy in the main line.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"don't appear to have enough staff"

A pretty poor airport all in all. Security has very long queues and only a few desks open. Staff seem very busy and they definitely don't appear to have enough staff. Airside the duty free staff don't seem to want to help or care about selling, - feeling of the 1980s customer service is prevalent (or the lack of it). No power points to be found unless you sit in a walkway or on a child's play machine. Belfast has developed greatly but this airport has not appeared to.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"as bad as it guests for an 'international' airport"

Verified Review | Dire - from the non-working wifi, the lack of signage (try finding the Avis Car Hire place), the creaking slow security check, the automatic departure gates (which operate completely differently to any other airport I have ever travelled through) to the appalling food choice airside. As bad as it guests for an 'international' airport.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"airport needs updating urgently"

(Spain)

Arrived for a 16.30 flight no bag drop available until 14.30, seats uncomfortable, moved to cafe Ritazza where tables were full of rubbish. Finally found a table to order drinks, server rude and sulky throwing ice into sink from a distance. Then the real cold set in with Baltic temperatures. The only airport where check in staff wear their coats that I have visited. Now we are looking forward to security and trying the fast track as we normally arrive traumatized to the departures hall although this year has seen an improvement in staff attitude. This airport needs updating urgently with less concentration on extorting money. No wonder so many friends and clients prefer Dublin.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"security was down to 1 operating desk"

Peak evening time security was down to 1 operating desk with about 12 staff. Average queueing time 20/25 minutes. Flight announcements in the departures lounge were deafening and speakers with very grating voices. Is any training given before people use these speaker announcement systems. It was like scratched nails on a blackboard, everyone was cringing.
Date VisitOctober 2016

"had no choice but to walk to the terminal"

I arrived in the airport's car park in torrential rain. I parked close to a shelter so I could call for the courtesy bus. There was a notice to say that the intercom was out of order. There was a number to call. I called it several times but no one answered. I had no choice but to walk to the terminal and was soaked when I arrived. There was no toilet roll in the Ladies and only one of the soap dispensers contained soap. When I arrived at my gate I went to buy a bottle of water but the vending machine was out of order. All in all, very poor. I didn't need the courtesy bus when I flew back as it wasn't raining, which was just as well as the 'out of order' notices were still up.
Date VisitSeptember 2016