Belfast Airport

"security employees are absolutely horrible"

Not Verified | I have travelled via this airport many times. I am a keen traveler and have been through many many airports. Belfast International Airport has the worst security in an airport I have ever experienced. Also, the security employees are absolutely horrible and incredibly rude people who go out of their way to create an issue during your travels. Belfast International would need to start a serious investigation on how well this security cope with high numbers of people and completely change the attitudes of their employees. I will never travel through airport again - Belfast City airport will be my main airport from now on.

"airport is a shambles"

Trip Verified | I departed through this airport to catch a flight to Krakow on 2nd August 2018. The queues through security were horrendous and clearly they did not have enough staff to cope with the numbers of travelling passengers. I arrived more than 2 hours before my flight and it probably took me just over 1 hour of endless queuing to make it through security. People were panicking because of concerns their flight was going to leave without them. The staff seemed pleasant enough but when someone smiles and is jocular with you after all this hassle, it's really hard to to imagine that they're not taking the mickey! On our return from Krakow on 5th August, at least 2 flights arrived into immigration at the same time, with only 4 Border Control officers on duty, again endless queuing. Eventually making it to the baggage hall, the carousel displayed that it would be handling the Krakow baggage. Baggage started to appear, endlessly going around and around, with no one claiming it. Some cases got jammed in the exit to airside and as the carousel advanced more and more cases jammed up and some fell off into an area out of bounds to the public. Some brave souls clambered over the carousel to try and free up the log jam, at great risk to themselves, as there was no one from the airport staff to be seen! Members of the public shouted through the exit to airside when they perceived movement and eventually 2 bewildered looking men appeared. They didn't sort the log jam in my time there but my fellow traveller located our bags, 1 on the carousel for Palma flights, the other stacked with some others that had been passe through an open door to airside. Bottom line is this airport is a shambles, it's accepting more and more airlines to operate out of it but is incapable of handling the volumes of passengers it produces. They seem to have spent shedloads on shops, bars and restaurants to take your money but very little on getting people in or out of the airport. They also have the cheek to encourage you to pay an additional £4 for priority security to avoid the cattlemarket they are creating. Be sensable in future, use Dublin or Belfast City, a much more enjoyable experience.

"miserable money grabbers"

Not Verified | These miserable money grabbers charge people to drop off and collect flyers. I think this is disgraceful and clearly shows that they will do anything to get more money out of us. I only use this airport if I absolutely have to and there is no other choice. I'd drive to Dublin before I even consider using Belfast. The restaurants are poor quality and way over priced. Thanks Dublin. You are the best.

"a relaxing experience"

Not Verified | I would just like to congratulate the Swissport & OCS staff who made our departure and arrival back to the airport such a relaxing experience. We had a group of 300 passengers some of which required assistance. Nothing was too much trouble for either the Swissport or OCS staff who assisted passengers embark and disembark on our return. Both teams deserve to be congratulated on their customer service and professionalism.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"only just get through security in time"

Trip Verified | Probably the worst airport in the whole of the UK and Ireland. I use this airport every 2 months to travel home to see family. I now have to allocate over 2 hours for a domestic flight and only just get through security in time. It is so upsetting to see people having to pay for priority passes because of the inefficiency of this airport (is this a money making scheme?) Unfortunately I have no option than to use this airport but I would if I could go somewhere else. Plain and simple this airport is not good enough for Northern Ireland. The amount of traffic going through with a positive increase in people visiting means that Northern Ireland truly needs a bigger and more efficient international airport. Please can someone invest and provide Northern Ireland with the infrastructure that it deserves and the rest of the uk has.
Date VisitJune 2018

"the worst I have seen"

Not Verified | On morning of 12th July - the security queue stretched down the escalator and to the far side of the arrivals hall - although long security queues seem to be the trend in this airport, this is the worst I have seen. I appreciate that it is a holiday season, but how hard is it to plan for the number of seats on the planes that are to depart in a given time. By the way, I made the flight but serious stress levels on most people in the queue - even an assurance on how long it would take to go through would help.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"the bag wait was ridiculous"

Not Verified | On arrival the bag wait was ridiculous, however the worst was yet to come as on departure we got in and got our bags away no problem, we went up and waited a long time in security queues. We were standing about for ages, then when we got to security we were told to take off shoes. The security was just trying to get you through the gate as quick as possible, no customer service whatsoever. Shocking airport.

"slowest baggage claim"

Not Verified | This is the slowest baggage claim of any airport I have ever visited, and it has been like this for over 10 years. Up to an hour wait for bags is standard.
Date VisitMay 2018

"the service gets worse every time"

Trip Verified | Flown from here many times and the service gets worse every time. This morning I queued for two hours to get through security and ended up missing my flight. Staff were so rude and completely unsympathetic to us even though we told them our flight was boarding. No wonder they are losing so many customers to Dublin. It might be a bit further to travel but it’s a completely different travel experience. On top of all this it appears there have been problems with security for a few days now yet we didn’t get any notice of this problem, and staffing was still totally inadequate for a bank holiday weekend. Never again!
Date VisitMay 2018

"most unwelcoming and depressing airport"

Trip Verified | I regret to say that this is by far the most unwelcoming and depressing airport I have passed through. The airport is dirty, grim, the variety of shops disappointing, with the smell of booze in the air. In a particularly nice touch of irony, one of their stores is Maplin - now bust and about to close down. The airport is in desperate need of a makeover. Perhaps more worryingly, the security check is inefficient and doesn't do the job. When I passed through security, the official was not properly checking his screen at all, and seemed more interested in shouting stuff at his colleague or mate, prohibited items could have passed through unnoticed. I shall try hard to avoid this place in the future.
Date VisitApril 2018