Top 100 Airlines

Belfast Airport

"standard of cleanliness seems very low"

We arrived at the airport at 9.30 am - the check in area was very quiet. I went to the Ladies toilets at 10 am and one of them was blocked with toilet paper and the adjacent cubicle was littered with toilet paper - if this is the state of them so early in the day what will they be like later on I wonder? We passed on through security and at 11.45 we purchased tea/coffee in the Starbucks coffee shop. The floor was poorly swept, empty bottles and rubbish lying around and crumbs lying on the tables - the standard of cleanliness seems very low - a very poor impression for an international airport.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"new system which still does not work"

Ok I cannot verify this review because I was there to drop someone off therefore have no boarding pass. However I was both in the terminal building and used the carpark, so I think I can safely say I am qualified to make a review. Can I just firstly say about the car park because I noticed some other people with similar problems. They have introduced a new system which still does not work. I had to try numerous times the other day in order to exit the car park. I had a disabled passenger with me and didn't want to leave her or drag her out to the office to get it sorted so I just had to keep trying it. My friend had to go back up the next day and it was even worse apparently there were people manually controlling the exits. This airport car park does not cater for disabled people. Half the blue badges spaces are taken with non blue badge holders and they are always full. City airport offers free parking for blue badge holders. This airport offers a discount which really only is worthwhile if you are going to leave the car there for a long period. If you are up plane watching then don't bother. Viewing gallery is a plus but please can you put in a window that opens or some aircon. Those big windows make that room unbearable. Staff were friendly and helpful. Not much choice for those of us waiting for arrivals. Other airports have plenty of facilities.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"grotty, unwelcoming, lacking facilities"

I am a Northern Ireland citizen and am sorry to say that Belfast airport does not deserve to carry the description 'international'. It is grotty, unwelcoming and totally lacking in facilities. Staff are unfriendly and unhelpful and many of them look like they have slept in their uniforms and just fallen out of bed. The check-in hall is like a cattle market and the departure lounge is uncomfortable (not helped by distinct lack of seating) and seriously lacking in choice of shops and restaurants. In an airport were flight delays seem to be the norm, a greater choice of reading material and food would be essential. Belfast City Airport is better by miles.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"short stay was not available"

My criticism is of the entering, obtain car park ticket and getting out of car park, short stay. There was no sign to indicate short stay was not available. I had to reverse back into queue. Went to pick up point as directed. Went back on Wednesday 27th and new complicated ticket machine confronted me. I was used to inserting my credit card but no luck, ticket appeared so got into park. On leaving went to barrier and tried to insert card, but no instructions on this machine. Worker let me out with no explanation for next visit. Back again on Thursday into short stay, got ticket met passengers and tried to pay at Pay Station, yes the two yellow ones. Ticket useless in these, so son told me to try the other machine. It worked, paid money and went to barrier. It worked. Embarrassing if there had been queue behind me. The new machine should have clear instructions or voice activated guidance. Came back to airport on Monday and survived entering and leaving. Nightmare, when new machines confront you it would be helpful for clear instructions. Threaten never to return, if you are at all concerned.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"standard continues to plummet"

I have moaned about this place to my wife for years but could never find somewhere to complain. The standard continues to plummet. Take my most recent experience from start to finish. The long stay parking barrier wouldn't lift despite being pre-booked. This meant a trek to the parking office to get it sorted. There is no cover from the weather whatsoever for the long walk with a suitcase over rough, pot holed, puddled surfaces to the terminal. The queues at security were enormous and the room was so hot the staff were complaining. Despite preparing thoroughly for security by having no metal objects on my body, I was still 'randomly' picked out for testing for explosives. The route to the overpriced food outlets used to pass by the duty free area, but now display stands have been trailed out across the path and when people stop to look at the displays there is no way through. As usual, after being checked in at the gate we were made to stand for 10 minutes on the stairs. I swear that some day someone will fall and there will be multiple injuries. Then, getting to the plane meant a 150 - 200m walk across the concrete and again there is no cover from the weather. It really irritates me to hear all the advertising in N. Ireland for Dublin Airport but, having used it, it is light years ahead in all respects. It truly is an international airport and puts Belfast to shame. Surely it's time the management had a good look at their customers requirements and invested in modern facilities that all other airports seem to have. Oh, and by the way, the parking barrier wouldn't lift on the way out either.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"things have become better"

I have avoided Belfast Airport for years, instead using George Best Airport in the city for a much better customer experience. However the other day I was pleasantly surprised. Security checks much better, no obligatory rip-off plastic bag purchase enforced to comply with BFS "standards" and no silly security questions. Security staff quite pleasant as it happened. The main departures lounge can be avoided with a short walk to outer gates. Air conditioning basic to grim but it was quite warm for NI. I would use again I suppose. The £1 drop off rip-off parking is still in place to those who don't know so be prepared. The airport must have some new management in place as things have become better. And excellent wifi too.

"just not enough space"

I've never left a review for an airport before, and I've travelled a lot but this place is by far and away the worst airport I've been to. It's disorganised, chaotic, ineffcient, small, dirty, tired looking with unfriendly staff. Lukewarm food, uncomfortable seating and just not enough space to cope with the amount of people using it when I was there yesterday evening. I have a few more business trips to do in Northern Ireland and I'm going to be travelling in via Dublin Airport as it's cleaner, efficient and easier access to motorways.
Date VisitJune 2016

"seemed somewhat disorganized"

It may be bigger and busier than the City airport, but it certainly isn't better. Long queue for boarding, seemed somewhat disorganized. Usual array of overpriced outlets waiting to bleed the passenger dry. George Best is a much nicer airport and far more convenient, being only ten minutes from the city centre.
Date VisitJune 2016

"place is jam packed"

The management of this airport need to take a good hard look at themselves. I usually fly in on a Friday evening and return on a Sunday evening. It is always the same. My partner is stressed trying to pick me up through the traffic queues into the airport. Leaving every Sunday is always stressful. The place is jam packed, not enough seats in the bars/cafes, people sitting on the floor, rude staff that scan your passport. You get a real sensation of how pigs feel being pushed into a pen just before slaughter. It's a shambles. Definitely considering using Belfast City which is soooo stress free in comparison to this place.
Date VisitMay 2016

"customer service again poor"

Arrived at airport having used the airport twice monthly at least for the last two years. I flew in from Edinburgh on Friday. At security staff have returned to their old ignorant I don't care attitude. This had improved in the last year but I was asked if I had a tablet in my bag after it went through, I replied that there was just a kindle, staff replied with, were you not told to remove kindles, it was a reader not a tablet and they looked at me as if I was stupid. I have never had to remove my kindle from my luggage. I asked when this rule was changed and he thought it changed a couple of weeks ago. That is fine if true, but why not tell people and explain it is the new rules. The lady at the scanner was the worst. Customer service again poor.
Date VisitMarch 2016