Belfast Airport

Review by (United Kingdom) 18th May 2015

I visited this airport with my sister for a flight back to London Gatwick on Friday 15th May and the staff in all the shops and bars were absolutely fantastic and had a friendly and welcoming nature but my good feeling was shattered when we went through security. The lady whose queue we were in was barking out orders relating to phones ipads etc at all the customers and throwing around the plastic trays as if she was "throwing her toys out of the pram". We placed our luggage in the trays only to be told/growled at that "You don't need to put your cases in the trays". We said that this was procedure at Gatwick but she just didn't listen. She picked my case up and hurled it face down on the conveyor belt. It was a good job I didn't have an iPad otherwise it would have been smashed. She then barked at me "Is this your bag?" which actually wasn't as the owner had already gone through the screening arch. She then decided to pick on my sister by shouting that the plastic bag with the toiletries in was not acceptable she replied that it was OK at Gatwick so why not here? There was no response to this other than a tiny plastic bag being thrown at her with the result of her having to put some items in my toiletries bag or throw them away. We both went through the screening arch and I got stopped screened and searched but at least the young lady there was sympathetic when I asked her to be careful as I'd had a hip operation and was still in recovery. I think that overall the Security staff have a difficult job to perform which is very important to all our safety and security but when you are met with a surly rude arrogant condescending "Rottweiler" it is not a very good advertisement for the Airport or Northern Ireland in general.

Review by (United Kingdom) 19th April 2015

On outward journey before going through security the first cafe on left only managed a stone cold cooked breakfast that had to be returned. Had to leave without anything to eat. On return passengers have to climb flights of stairs with hand luggage no lift for senior citizens. Security is fine by me we all need to feel safe travelling so read the rules get the right size of plastic bag wear the right shoes etc. It is annoying but necessary in all airports so why do people take it personally if stopped for any reason? Having listened to some moaners in my queue they are usually latecomers from the bar or are ignorant of protocol. In both cases a lesson in their own courtesy wouldn't go astray. Since we are all in the same boat or plane in this case shouldn't people lighten up as so as we can all have a more pleasant experience in the airport? Security staff have a job to do and as far as I am concerned when my children and grandchildren are travelling through continents there are few jobs as important. As for loos and like every other airport not enough loos for ladies!

Review by 14th January 2015

I think Belfast international is a lovely place to arrive and depart from. All airport staff are friendly and always willing to help if you have any questions. People complain about security if passengers followed instructions and not pack unsuitable items in hand luggage it would be much quicker. You cannot blame the staff there and I have witnessed some very rude passengers with their attitude to staff in general. BIA is a credit to Northern Ireland and gives a good impression to visitors and local people as well.

Review by (United Kingdom) 28th October 2014

Security staff overbearing but not that clued in. Made much fuss about plastic bags android tablet etc. Totally ignored my electric toothbrush when the brush head is pulled off there is a sharp 3 inch steel spike. On return journey after a 5 hour flight we had to climb a long stairway. Many old people on our flight were gasping for breath at the top. Luggage reclaim area looked like something from the 1950's. Despite our flight arriving 20 minutes early we had to wait 45 minutes for the luggage.

Review by (United Kingdom) 15th August 2014

Arrived on Sunday from Amsterdam with 2 Dutch visitors. First thing that amazed them was having to walk across the tarmac in pouring rain and then having to carry their hand luggage up a steep flight of stairs to enter the terminal building. They really cracked up when they had to negotiate a "Slippery Floor" warning sign with a bucket behind it catching drips from a leaking ceiling. They were finally accosted by a member of staff at passport control who would need a few lessons in manners. Belfast Intl airport is a disgrace to Northern Ireland. With so many golfers expected to enter the country over the next year or so I shudder to thing what their first impressions are of our country is.

Review by (Netherlands) 3rd July 2014

I've been to lost of airports but the fanatical way the security is behaving towards liquids in hand luggage reeks like a rip-off scheme. I brought my liquids in a slightly blue transparent plastic bag. According to the security people it had the wrong color and I had to buy a new plastic bag for £1. I have never experienced this in any airport in the world. It somehow felt that the security guards were in on the scheme and could divide the plastic bag earnings at the end of the day by themselves. I loved travelling in Northern Ireland and loved the friendliness of the people but the experience with the security guards left a bad aftertaste.

Review by (United Kingdom) 18th June 2014

Travel through BFS in June No shopping except Duty Free just eating places. Arrived back 1 week later with 2 flights arriving within 10 mins of each other and we had to queue for 45 mins to get through Passport control! You wonder why they are not attracting new international flights! They just don't have the facilities or manpower.

Review by (United Kingdom) 7th April 2014

I travelled through Belfast International Airport last week and my overall experience was good. I found the Airport to be small and quiet which was nice as airports these days are a bit chaotic at times. I went through security with no issues although the large scanning machine is a bit intimidating seems like something out of a sci-fi movie. (Is this thing really necessary?) The Security Staff were very friendly and processed my items in a timely manner. I didn't have much time to shop which was good because the selection was not great. That being said I did see all the usual places Coffee Shop Newspaper Shop Duty Free etc.. A clothing shop within the airport would be nice though. There was no public address announcement to go to the gate which kind of spoiled things as I had to constantly look at the Flight Monitor for information. Staff at the boarding gates were friendly and the walk outside to the aircraft was short. I had no issues upon my return although the baggage hall in the arrivals area would need some paint soon. Overall I was satisfied with the service I received in Belfast International Airport and will be using the airport again.

Review by (Australia) 23rd January 2014

Terrible dirty outdated airport! This airport needs a serious upgrade failing that it need demolished and rebuilt! There are hardly any air bridges for planes to dock so we had to walk around 300 meters in the winter wind and rain to get inside to airport arrivals area. I felt sorry for elderly people on board our flight who got soaked! The baggage reclaim area is dirty and for an international airport only has 2 baggage carousels! Toilets are dirty and outdated! One other thing about this airport I really noticed around the terminal entrance was the sheer amount of discarded chewing gum that was caked into the pavement directly outside this is absolutely disgusting and not a good impression for first time visitors. The road to the airport from Belfast is terrible which takes you in single lane traffic from the motorway to the airport which means getting stuck behind slow moving commercial vehicles once again I have seen better airport roads in the third world! No train link at airport even though there is a station pretty much beside it! No under cover car parking at airport so be prepared for another soaking!

Review by (United Kingdom) 17th December 2013

Like other reviewers I was told my plastic bag was too large after it had passed through the x-ray machine though it had been acceptable at Gatwick. I had to leave my liquids with security because I wasn't prepared to participate in the plastic bag scam. A very unpleasant experience. I will avoid flying out of Aldergrove again if I can.