Belfast Airport

"slowest baggage claim"

Not Verified | This is the slowest baggage claim of any airport I have ever visited, and it has been like this for over 10 years. Up to an hour wait for bags is standard.
Date VisitMay 2018

"the service gets worse every time"

Trip Verified | Flown from here many times and the service gets worse every time. This morning I queued for two hours to get through security and ended up missing my flight. Staff were so rude and completely unsympathetic to us even though we told them our flight was boarding. No wonder they are losing so many customers to Dublin. It might be a bit further to travel but it’s a completely different travel experience. On top of all this it appears there have been problems with security for a few days now yet we didn’t get any notice of this problem, and staffing was still totally inadequate for a bank holiday weekend. Never again!
Date VisitMay 2018

"most unwelcoming and depressing airport"

Trip Verified | I regret to say that this is by far the most unwelcoming and depressing airport I have passed through. The airport is dirty, grim, the variety of shops disappointing, with the smell of booze in the air. In a particularly nice touch of irony, one of their stores is Maplin - now bust and about to close down. The airport is in desperate need of a makeover. Perhaps more worryingly, the security check is inefficient and doesn't do the job. When I passed through security, the official was not properly checking his screen at all, and seemed more interested in shouting stuff at his colleague or mate, prohibited items could have passed through unnoticed. I shall try hard to avoid this place in the future.
Date VisitApril 2018

"one of the worst airports"

Trip Verified | This is one of the worst airports I have ever encountered. The queues at security are at least 20 minutes. A member of staff told me that despite requesting more staff, management refuse. When I go to Gatwick Airport in London the queue for security is no more than two minutes. The most I ever wait in Dublin is five minutes. Every opportunity to raise revenue is seized upon. To drop someone off or collect cost's a pound. last year when their automated system broke down and caused huge delays, instead of waiving fees they sent a man with a bucket to collect at the gate. My advice is fly to and from Dublin. With the absence of Ryanair in Belfast that was also the cheapest option as EasyJet are fairly expensive in comparison.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"there is inadequate seating"

Not Verified | Security staff can be quite surly. Unless you want to eat or drink, there is inadequate seating. I could not declare that this airport is of International status when you see people walking around departures drinking, standing on a drafty staircase at Gate 18 and walking across the apron in wind and heavy snow to board aircraft.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"Customer service so poor"

Not Verified | Customer service so poor and I travel through airports very frequently. Belfast International has to be one of the worst. Arrived at bag security last week to find yet again at 7am in the morning only 3 out of 6 X-ray machines available, approximately 150 people queue for over 30 minutes and move through at a snails pace. I don’t blame the staff but management need to review this. Like everyone else in the early morning you just want to move safely and speedily through security. This is ridiculous in the modern day, why are you allowed to treat your customers like this? Then after checking in you are made queue on cold stairs cases waiting like sheep to board, if this is the best we can do for the travelling public in Northern Ireland who use this facility it is not acceptable.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"the airport is a disgrace"

Verified Review | We travel through Belfast International Airport a lot and over the last 40 years have traveled to many airports worldwide. Belfast International is by far the worst airport experience and we hate having to fly in and out of it. We are proud to be from N. Ireland and love to see visitors coming but the airport is a disgrace. We traveled through Dec. 2016 and my husband who is 72 and had recently received a cancer diagnosis forgot to take his braces off. The security guy put them in a tray and threw the tray across the hall narrowly missing one of his colleagues. We want to be safe but does the behaviour and environment in Belfast make us feel safe - absolutely not!
Date VisitOctober 2017

"service was absolutely terrible"

Unverified | Worst airport I have ever been to. The service was absolutely terrible. Took forever at the passport check, people were awful and everyone was rude. They lost my friends luggage. Terrible experience and I've been to airports all over world. Do not fly here if your going to Northern Ireland, fly to Dublin and take the bus.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"Overzealous frisking"

Unverified | Overzealous frisking. I bleeped going through security and was then asked if I had a metal hip implant to which the answer is yes. I was then frisked repeatedly three times, despite wearing only thin trousers and thin short sleeved shirt. Then my waistband was checked a fourth time. Lastly he ran a hand held device all over my body twice. It was as if the guy was determined to find something suspicious. What a contrast to Newcastle, where I stood in a sort of kiosk (a scanner?) quickly checked with the hand held device and given the all clear. Once past security, there were far too few seats and our plane was an hour late. My final gripe is that the toilets were not signed till one was almost outside them.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"deliberately providing a very slow service"

Verified Review | I would really like to see something done at Belfast International about the queue (there usually is only one screening line open!) through security. I travel extensively to many airports, including much busier airports like Gatwick, where they are much more efficient at security. At Belfast International they had one line open, I queued for 45 mins just to get to the security - this is totally unacceptable. It was fortunate I'd arrived early. The worst part is the reason that there was only one open, they also have a priority line which you can pay for in advance and I know they are deliberately providing a very slow service to encourage people to buy priority boarding. No other airport does this. What made it worse was that there were about 4 people on the priority line standing about and laughing with each other as it wasn't busy, while hundreds of passengers queued for the standard security screening where there were only 3 people. They really need to open up more screening gates. This is just letting your airport down in a very big way!
Date VisitJune 2017