Beijing Capital Airport

"Lousy airport with unfriendly staff"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | Lousy airport with unfriendly staff. From the moment you arrive you start queuing for one of many bag checks. In the first check (before you get to check-in) they check your passports and hand luggage. Then after you check-in there's another bag check before immigration. After immigration there's another check. Took over an hour to get through everything and there wasn't a proper queue for the first check so everyone is everywhere trying to get in. Staff don't speak much English and are unfriendly. Starbucks staff were nice though. Even after all the checks, security confiscated my small powerbank because "it doesn't say how much power it has." Never mind it's the same physical size as my other powerbank and I got into Beijing with it. You think after so many security checks it would be fine. They also yelled at everyone when we were queuing for the final bag check.
Date VisitJune 2017

"poorly organized, noisy and crowded"

Verified Review | Beijing airport (terminal 2) is poorly organized, noisy and crowded. Have to go through security before check-in, every luggage go through only one scanning machine with lots of people waiting, took hours to go through. The VIP check-in staff (for first class/business) were unprofessional - took 40 minutes to check-in.
Date VisitJune 2017

"No one will help you"

Verified Review | I flew Air China from IAD to SGN through PEK and back. I will never do it again. The first transit took 90 minutes from gate to gate. You walk a mile, go though a bottleneck where they look at your passport, previous boarding pass and next boarding pass. Then you get in another line where they stamp your passport and take a picture of you. Then the fun starts. You go through a full fledged security check. These security people make you take every electronic device out of your carry on to be all x-rayed. You go through a metal detector and then they pat you down to the point that you feel they should have at least bought you dinner first. You go to retrieve your carry on and find them running it through the x-ray again because something looked like a battery. They hate batteries. They also hate external battery packs and will sometimes confiscate them. Finally I could make my way to the gate. No one will help you get through this process if you have a short transit like we did on the way back. We had only an hour. The key is to find the front of every line and push to the front by showing your boarding pass with the boarding time mere minutes away. On that flight we were able to get to the gate as they were boarding the plane only to have security set up on the jetway making you open your bags for another inspection. Never again.
Date VisitApril 2017

"staff are unfriendly and slow"

Verified Review | The first look at Beijing airport: looks modern, friendly and so on. And then you get of the plane and the horror starts. Walking several kilometers in a big airport is normal so I don't complain about that. But the Immigration as well as the transit take forever and the staff are unfriendly and slow. As a smoker this airport is annoying. It is fine for me if smoking is not permitted everywhere but to remove all smoking areas inside and outside the airport as a patriotic act for health is the biggest joke i've ever heard. We came from Tokyo and there we're no complains about our luggage there, but for transfer in this airport you have to go thru another security check and it is even prohibited to carry a lighter or matches. Why can I carry my lighter from Frankfurt to Beijing and from Tokyo to Beijing but nowhere else from there? Considering all these things, I will never ever go to this airport again.
Date VisitApril 2017

"staff cheerful and helpful"

(China)

Verified Review | Arrived into Beijing Capital from Honolulu on flight HA897. We arrived at the aerobridge, it was more than a smooth process when we disembarked and proceeded to the immigration and baggage claim. The ground staff were cheerful and helpful. The modernised design of the spacious terminal makes me feel like home. I was exhausted after the 13 hours flight from HNL, there were 2 pay-in lounges, one at the arrival hall, one in the transit area. PEK T3 is definitely my favourite airport in my home country.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"too many people and too few staff"

Verified Review | Connected at PEK T2 twice on a trip from AMS to SYD. In both directions, we had pretty tight connections to and from a domestic flight to/from CAN. Our itinerary was sold and ticketed by the airline and within the MCT, so we did not worry. We should have. On the way out to SYD, our PEK connection was scheduled to be just 95 minutes. Our flight in from Amsterdam departed on-time and touched down in PEK over 30 minutes prior to our scheduled arrival time. However, it took a while before we were able to deplane. At PEK, we got in line for immigrations. The line moved pretty quickly and it took just over 10 minutes. We were travelling under the 24 hour visa exemption rule which did not have a seperate line. As soon as the immigrations officer realized it needed to stamp a temporary access permit into our passports someone else whas called to bring the special stamp to that officers' booth. There was only one such stamp in the immigration hall. Keep in mind to show them your itinerary (eticket printout) and ask for "24 hour transit" or it will take a lot longer. After clearing immigrations you need to claim your luggage. There is no such thing as through-checks in PEK for a connection to a domestic flight. It took a while for our luggage to arrive and when it finally did, we followed the special CZ transit passengers route. We probably should not have. This was the weirdest part of our connection here. Immediately after entering the transit hall, we had to put our luggage, both checked and cabin luggage through a scanner. We needed to go through a metal detector ourselves. This was a chaotic process with too many people and too few staff. All batteries had to be taken out of our checked luggage and were sealed into a zip-lock bag with a number. We were handed a tag with the same number. After the metal detector, we had to open our checked luggage because it contained a Leatherman tool. "Knive, knive!" is the only english word the chinese official could say. After seeing it was a leatherman she was fine with it. Then we were sent to another desk to pick up our ziplock bag with batteries. Nothing was taken out. This process took over 20 minutes. We were now at T-50 minutes. At this point, I still thought that the next step would be to just drop our bags and walk to the gate. But unfortunately, it doesn't work like that in China. After walking out of the "transfer hall", we simply entered the main check-in hall of the T2 terminal building. We had to walk over to a CZ check-in area for our flight and get in line for a check-in desk, even though we already had a boarding pass, printed in Amsterdam for our next (domestic) flight. The problem is that check-in actually closes 45 minutes prior to departure! We waited in line at CZ domestic check-in, only to be directed to another special desk when it was our turn. We got there at T-42 minutes and the check-in staff was unsure whether our luggage would still make the flight. After some internal discussion, they decided to check our bags and told us to hurry. Yeah, really! Boarding had already started at that time. We got into another security line (note that we just went through full security in the transfer hall). From there we walked to our gate and got onto a bus to the plane with minutes to spare. The way back through PEK was even worse and also required us to check-in again, this time doing a dom to int transfer. Again, minutes to spare with some running involved.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"everything was fluent and efficient"

(China)

Verified Review | Went back to China for my December holiday with Air China flight to Beijing. I like PEK airport T3 for its specious terminal, modern designs. We arrived at the remote bay, but everything was fluent and efficient, including the bus ride. PEK airport is definitely my favorite airport and my top choice when I depart and come back to China.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"the longest customs lime that I have ever seen"

(China)

Verified Review | It feels like every time that I use this airport there is some kind of bad experience that sticks with me for the rest of the day. I live in China so I've used this airport many times, but yesterday has to be the worst. Arriving from Tokyo, I am immediately hit the with the longest customs lime that I have ever seen. While there were very few Chinese nationals to be checked through, there were hundreds of foreigners. Inexplicably, there were only three windows open to foreigners, and 5 windows open to the Chinese (3 of which weren't even being used). Sensing their own disorganization, they begin shepherding foreigners through the Chinese only line. Now, my girlfriend is Chinese, so she came up with me and explained the situation. Even though we were flagged through, and foreigners are doing the exact same thing a booth over, our customs agent decides to go on a tirade in Chinese about how my girlfriend would have to wait in a long line in the US, and that I should have to do the same thing. She was pretty typical of the rude staff that permeates Peking airport. Other people have mentioned the filth, and cutting in line. I'll add another one: they are very lax about the con artists they allow to roam the ticketing areas, trying to rip you off in plain sight. Don't let anyone try and "help" you with your bags. What more is there to say? Just like many buildings in Beijing, this is a flimsy package with pretty wrapping. If China wants Beijing to become a world city they have swallow their inflated egos and fix their mistakes. There is a chance you will come out unscathed, but 80% of the time you will regret trying to travel through here.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"lacking in decent facilities"

(China)

Verified Review | I have the misfortune of living in Beijing, and therefore can't avoid using this airport for all of my travel. Everything about it is terrible, disorganised, short staffed and lacking in decent facilities. I actually prefer T2 mainly because it is smaller than T3 and therefore usually (but not always) less busy. They never have enough staff for immigration, either departing or arriving, and other reviewers are bang on when they moan about the security processes, which frankly stink. I don't think they care at all about making the journey through the airport anything other than a chore for any passenger. Doesn't matter if you go economy, business or first, it's still awful. My top tip would be arrive early, don't put any batteries, power packs, cameras, lighters, or anything else that may ever come in useful in your luggage, and just try your hardest not to get wound up by the total ineptitude of the entire experience.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"Airport staff was rude"

Unverified | Airport staff was rude. Security for transfer flights are slow. For international flights. Don't need such tight security for people with connecting flights. No need to go through Chinese costums when not entering the country. Transfers should made easier
Date VisitFebruary 2017