Beijing Capital Airport

"I would not recommend"

Trip Verified | I was traveling from Tokyo to London and had a connection in Beijing airport (PEK) and experienced unprofessional security, everyone is given a full body pat down). It seemed that the staff were not trained enough to deal with the amounts of people who have an international connection within the airport. I had a 13:40 boarding time and I was just about passing the check at 13:30 (after about 2 hours in the line) which gave me just 10 minutes to find my gate, get some food and go to the toilet. It was unorganised and I would not recommend, I would rather spend the extra money to get a direct flight to my destination than connect in Beijing.
Date VisitApril 2018

"never travel through Beijing again"

(South Korea)

Not Verified | I will never travel through Beijing again! I recently traveled from Seoul to Sydney on China Southern, with a plane change in Beijing. I have traveled to several countries and airports, but nothing compares to Beijing Airport. Upon arrival, while trying to transit, immigration was rude and it felt as though was going out of there way to make the process difficult and uncomfortable. I had all of the necessary information needed for security and was still treated unkindly. I will pay more money in the future just to avoid flying through Beijing, which is unfortunate as China Southern actually had good service.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"Many people missing their transit flights"

Trip Verified | We flew from Melbourne to Seoul and had to stop over in Beijing for transit (Air China to Korean Air). It took us 5.5 hours to transit here, we arrived at 5am and were only able to get to the next flight 10 minutes before the gate closed. Many people missing their transit flights. We have travelled to a few airports Melbourne, Sydney, Madrid, Rome, Narita and Singapore but Beijing was our worst experience so far. Beijing Airport has no information desk available, staff would give you different advice. We followed a staff member onto the train/subway and asked her which stop we should stop at (Airport staff wearing office uniform - couldn’t speak English/did not want to help). Staff working in Terminal 1 were very slow. I will avoid this airport at all costs in future.

"so dated and behind"

Trip Verified | We arrived to Beijing International airport as part of a tour in Feb 28, 2018. It landed at 7 pm. Needless to say, after 13 hours flight, nobody was in a mood for anything except getting out and on to the next destination. We got out to the tarmac and got on the shuttle bus, jam packed. Then we got behind a line of other vehicles and stopped for a good 20 minutes (no joke). There was no sense of welcome sign or anything of that nature. There was absolutely no pamphlet or map or anything that a newcomer can use to navigate. The line up for customs was long but only 2 counters opened. There was no cheerful feeling as it was very dark all around. They just did not want to waste electricity. After picking up our luggage, nobody knew we had to run them through the scan, smart for them, but please have proper signage as this is the first airport that we know to do this (beside Cuba, but they only scan carry-on). The line up was also long and local Chinese with little English tried their best to intimidate us for jumping their line. Come on, relax, didn't you see we were not local and were clueless? The waiting hall was also dark, crowded and very dreary. It was like at a local airport hall in some places like El Salvador or similar. And to get to the street level for the bus, you had to either wait in an endless line for elevator or carried your heavy luggage up the escalator. On our flight out, since we came in from a local flight (Shanghai), after getting off the shuttle bus, we walked along like herd to wait at the counter in order to ask for gate number as the guide could not speak English to tell us. It is quite disappointing for such a capital airport of a country that has made so much progress (look at the high speed train, the 20+ line subway system, the intricate highway) can be so dated and behind. Most staff do not speak English. I am not sure how they managed the visitors for the Olympic games 10 years ago. The only thing I like is the price of vending machine. One noodle bowl is only 6 yuan, which is about the same outside. Kudos for them!. They should make more in the vending machine as this is a hot item for stranded passengers. Also, water station always have hot water, wonderful. I know this is cultural as Chinese always drink hot water or tea, but it is so convenient for us. Compared to Shanghai airport, modern like any North American ones, Beijing airport is so far behind. We love flying to China, either Beijing or Shanghai, but would be nice if Beijing airport improves in the future.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"No one willing to help or explain"

Trip Verified | An international transit longer than 3 hours results in you being stuck right before immigration, if you do not have a paper boarding pass immigration will send you back to a transfer desk. Transfer desk employees (Air China employees) don’t have access to other star alliance systems and can’t reprint or check you in, this is only possible 3 hours before departure. My flight Singapore to Hamburg with a layover in Beijing and Warsaw, I couldn’t get into the transfer area where there was food and drinks, my layover was 18 hours long and I was denied access to the most basic ammeneties. No one willing to help or explain. After 15 hours of waiting I was finally able to get my paper boarding pass which was written per hand! The airport is a joke, employees are rude and speak the worst English I’ve ever encountered. I thought Beijing Capital Airport was one of the best but even once I was through and cleared immigration the transit area is small and boring. I was in Terminal 3.

"treated like cattle"

Trip Verified | Horrible airport. Long lines in passport control and security check. I had to wait 2 hours in narrow srairs and under the stairs to reach security. One is treated like cattle. The security staff is terrible and mean. They pull out everything from carryon and rescan by x- ray. Then i was randomly pulled aside in the jetway for additional security screening. They opened my carry on , checked my shoes swabbed several artc Icles. The strangest thing eas the woman opened my wallet and flipped thru my dollar bills. Avoid this airport if you can. Oh, the toilets are dirty and stink. Overall it is a very bad airport.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"transit procedure is just one big mess"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | The transit procedure is just one big mess with security staff wanted to have all items with a wire attached to it through the x-ray machine. An absolutely disorganised mess and I am happy I only had a vey short layover as everything was substandard and of course adding to the irritation is that the internet access is highly restricted in China.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"a miserably, long-drawn out experience"

Not Verified | Quite simply, this is without doubt the worst airport that I have ever flown into or out of in the world. Firstly, the unhelpful staff: The words 'Customer Service' just simply do not apply to any of the staff who work within this airport. I was flying to and from London/Sydney via Beijing, yet barely any of the staff spoke any English, they were all extremely rude and really very intimidating at times. Just a tip on how to address your customers - Please don't shout at us and point your fingers in our faces, we really don't like it! When they weren't shouting they simply ignored us. None of the staff smiled at all, very uncomfortable. At the food courts, the hugely inflated prices for everything (even for airport standards) were absolutely exorbitant, and the service? Well, at best it was hostile. Honestly, the level of rudeness was simply appalling. Secondly, the queues: Oh please! Where to start? If you intend transiting via Beijing, I would strongly advise you don't. Trying to find the correct gate for International transfers is a joke. Not great information on the signs, and no help whatsoever from the staff makes it a miserably, long-drawn out experience. Queuing for over 90 minutes at the gate signed International Transfers to be then told (shouted at) that we had to go to another gate. After initially been told by airport staff that we didn't need to get another boarding pass as we were transiting and were told to go to this gate. We eventually found the 'correct' gate with no help and then queued for another hour, to be then given a Boarding Passes and told to go back to the original gate. This now involved another queue of over two and a half hours. The airport had two members of staff working at the gate. The place is beyond a joke. Overall experience: The airport itself was freezing, I mean absolutely bitterly cold, there was nowhere at all to get warm. The Business Lounges were simply nothing more than a few tables and chairs on an open mezzanine level, so that would provide no respite. With ten hours layover, a bitterly cold airport is certainly far from ideal. I will never ever use this airport again and I strongly advise you to avoid it!
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"appalled by the level of customer service"

Trip Verified | Flying Business Class from BKK via PEK to MXP on CA758 and CA949 on 9/10 January, I am appalled by the level of customer service at Bejing airport. Having passengers wait in freezing temperatures for the bus on a tarmac position, then one person for the passport check for international transfers with a long queue and then a similar queue at security check and then waiting for the connection in coldness within the airport building. Even the lounge is cold and people are sitting in a first class lounge with their winter coats on! There is no fast lane queue, no recognition of Star Alliance Gold members. Part of our baggage arrived destroyed in Milan. I already had little expectations concerning food and the old business class seats (even on the new B-787), but this level of bad service makes me question whether Air China is really fit to be a Star Alliance airline. I would certainly expect more from a Star Alliance member.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"staff don't speak English"

(South Korea)

Trip Verified | There are so many problems in this airport it is hard to enumerate them. There is no Wi-Fi and the staff don't speak English at all, so it is literally impossible to get any kind of information once there if you are not fluent in Chinese. The baggage transfer didn't work for any unknown reason, so we had to pick up our luggage and check in again even though I was only transiting. There is no hotel in the airport so it is impossible to take a rest. All restaurants are expensive, and the staff doesn't speak English so it is impossible to have any explanation about the food. KFC doesn't sell french fries, and MacDonald doesn't accept credit cards so it is impossible to get french fries without converting your money at exorbitant rates. The security check is incredibly complex and messy. We finally realized you have to scan your passeport to get Wi-Fi. This was of course not explained anywhere (thank you very much really). Bonus point : You get to give your opinion on the efficiency of the inspector after the immigration check, but the button isn't working. Chinese democracy at its finest. Regular traveller, I had never had any of those problems in any international airport I have visited. I was incredibly surprised to discover them all at the same place. In summary, this airport is made only for Chinese people, speaking Chinese , carrying Chinese yuan and used to Chinese way of doing things. Avoid at all costs if you don't fall under these requirements.
Date VisitDecember 2017