Vote Now

Beijing Capital Airport

"Airport staff was rude"

Unverified | Airport staff was rude. Security for transfer flights are slow. For international flights. Don't need such tight security for people with connecting flights. No need to go through Chinese costums when not entering the country. Transfers should made easier
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"2 hours from plane to exiting the airport"

Landed at Beijing Capital T2 and followed everyone to the exit. Initially looking for 72 hr transit, but that line was not open, so I went to the foreigner line. Took about 30-40 mins to get the visa. Make sure you have a pen, to add extra info on arrival card and to complete an application given by the officer there. By this time, a long line developed behind us. Customs line was long tonight, about 45 mins to get to the green line. All in all, took about 2 hours from exiting the plane to exiting the airport. Departure a few days later was typical for any airport. Security checks, check in and immigration in that order for T2. One week later, I transited thru T2. For international transfers, go thru 24 hr transit without leaving the airport. This is a non descript door before the immigration hall. You have to take a right u-turn to get into. Most people will likely miss this. There the guys got a detailed pat down examination, while my wife received a simple one. This will take you back to T2 international departure.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"disorganization and lack of customer service"

Let me start by stating that Beijing Capital Airport is terrible. I've been traveling for years and I couldn't believe the disorganization and lack of customer service. They treat everyone as a criminal or potential criminal, the security staff are terrible, male or female it doesn't seem to matter. They get hung up on stupid details about passports and tickets, and don't seem to understand their own processes. An example, I'm transferring through PEK and don't have my next boarding ticket yet. I need to go through immigration to get my baggage and tickets and transfer through. The security guard at immigration prior to the baggage and ticketing process won't let me through because he can't verify my next flight. By the way, there are several more security check points for them to check my tickets. How about, waiting for an hour in a security line for people with no carry-on luggage for over an hour with when I'm only the 10th person in the line. Or, at security, instead of taking just a computer and battery of your backpack they make you take out everything with a wire in it. There is no order here, no one picks up empty bins, if the metal detector beeps they just keep sending you through over and over. It's chaos. I'm avoiding PEK as much as I can from now on.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"everything about this airport is awful"

We traveled as a family (2 adults, infant and toddler) through China. Everything about this airport is awful in terms of service. We had two baby-carriages, a high-energy two year old and an infant on formula, and lots of baggage (2 heavy suitcases, 3 carry-ons, diaper bag, and infant coccoon). Staff do not understand the concept of gate-checking. That means when you leave the gate, the baby-carriage goes on the plane, and when you arrive at your destination, you receive your baby-carriage at the destination gate and not at baggage claim. This is an airport issue and staff on the airport have to handle it. They had no clue, neither the airline staff nor airport staff. We had to trek through the airport without a stroller and two kids. This was hell. We were given a pitiful excuse for a trolley (which barely takes two carry-on's, which doesn't go on walking-escalators. Walking with a half-asleep toddler (who needs to be carried) and an infant with 5 carry-on's is hell without a stroller. At immigration we were told we couldn't keep our mini-trolley. How do you expect us to carry our stuff? The lines were too long (not expedited for families with infants). They have no concept of processing a family together with my husband. He was forced to separate from us, and I needed him to help manage our children. I thought he was being arrested for not having a visa, the way they treated him. They don't explain what they're doing and they're rude and unforgiving. They're more interested in following protocol. It made no difference whether the immigration officer was male or female. They barely spoke English. They don't have any cultural understanding of Westerners. After they processed my 2 year old (I had not been processed yet) in immigration they said he can go through now. I asked them where exactly they thought he should go by himself as he is 2 years old. A security officer then picked up my child and moved him to the other side of the immigration gate. Security also - no trolleys allowed. I mean honestly, is it not possible to have a trolley for a family to carry their carry-ons on a trolley when they have an infant and toddler to manage? Walking through Beijing airport is also not pleasant. People routinely block pedesterian walk-ways, lines are not cordoned off, and signs, although they are written in both Chinese and English, are often unclear - it took us 20 minutes to find "gate 3" which is not a gate, but the entrance to the airport, on the first floor, "entrances" which they call "gates" that are even-numbered are on the second floor, with no indication of where entrances that are odd-numbered. For Terminal 2, Airport shuttle services are located on the first floor at 'entrance'/'gate' 3, there is no signage how to get there, until you're at the entrance, and then there is positive signage.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"had to wait for more than 1 hour"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | Please avoid transiting with Air China. We had to wait for more than 1 hour in the queue for passport control and security. I almost missed my flight as I only had a 2 hour connection. I was traveling with an infant and a child and staff refused to let us go through the fast track and had to queue with my baby in my hand for more than one hour. Thank you very much indeed.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"huge lines and slow service"

Beijing Capital is the worst airport. Staff non-helpful. To get connecting flights I had to go through security twice which had huge lines and slow service. Worst part - smog inside! I have never experienced air pollution inside a building before. It was dirty and run down and the experience made me never want to return.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"impossible to connect to their wifi"

16 Years traveling to Asia and Beijing Capital is the worst airport I have had the displeasure of experiencing. Stuck for 7 hours in this place. Had to go through 2 passport controls just for a transfer. Finally when you get to the other side it looks nice and modern and clean but first you discover it is nearly impossible to connect to their wifi. You have to give a bunch of info like phone number, ID etc. Then if you are lucky enough to connect it is very slow and soon dies and wants you to re-register. Useless. Tried to find and ATM finally asked at the info desk and was told no ATM. I go to currency exchange to change a little money so I can eat. Told their is a 60 yuan service charge. Then ripped off on the exchange rate and after $30USD got 124 yuan. Just barely enough for a cup of coffee 37, small pizza 74 yuan, exchange 60 yuan. Left me with about 14 yuan which could buy me nothing. So in the end 1 coffee and 1 small pizza = $30USD. The went off looking for a power supply so I could work on my laptop and of course nothing. On top of all of this it was feeezing inside. All the shop workers were wearing long long jackets with scarves to keep warm understandably so. With just a long sleeve shirt I had to do laps around the airport to try to stay warm. The coffee helped warm my hands a little and the pizza shop was heated. And the final kicker I go into the washroom and the attendant follows me in there. It stunk of cigarette smoke and he shows me a lighter in a gesture to ask me if I smoke. Never again will I step foot in Beijing airport.

"a ridiculous mess"

Departures area was very clean and appeared to be well maintained, but that's where the good story ends. The board showing the flight number - check in counter number is a jumble that keeps jumping around and you're not entirely sure if you're going to the right counter until you actually find it. We almost headed to the opposite side of the terminal, but thankfully watched it a little longer and got the right counter. On our way there we were approached by a young man that wanted to "help" us find our way. They used to have these people in the old terminal and they would prey on people who hadn't quite figured it out for themselves yet. First they lead you astray and then extort you for money to get you back to where you should be, meanwhile you were probably pretty close to where you wanted to be already. Do not give these people a chance. If you do need help, try a uniformed security official or just try another check in counter. The actual check in counter area was basically a free for all. They have the barriers set up to steer people into a queue but it is largely ignored with passengers coming from every which way and just butting in wherever they please. The airline officials did absolutely nothing to get things organized or keep any kind of a flow going. A ridiculous mess. Security screening? Don't worry, they got lots of it. Problem is, it's about as efficient as the check in counters. Like another reviewer said, empty your pockets and dump anything that looks at all like anything electronic into the tray. Once through security, there's a bunch of duty free shops, but if you want something to eat or drink, you're better off doing that before you leave the city if you have the time as there isn't much to choose from. All in all, a terrible experience and I hope I can avoid the airport in the future. I would rather make my connections elsewhere even if it takes more time or more connections.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"lines are pretty horrendous"

I flew through Beijing Airport while transiting to Shenyang to visit my relatives who live in China. The lines at Beijing are pretty horrendous, I was lucky to get to a short line because I am a Chinese citizen - the foreigner lines were ridiculously long. The signage in the terminal is decent but could be improved as the Chinese to English translations aren't the greatest. The terminal was completely clean as far as I could see, there were no obvious dirty spots anywhere. The seating in the terminal can again be described as average. The food and shopping selection was below average but there were nevertheless some choices. The staff were probably the worst thing at the airport, they spoke very rudely and were arrogant.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"poorly designed and maintained"

Verified Review | Very poor facility, service, staff at Beijing Capital Airport. We arrived at 630am in morning and realized we had left something on the flight. We told the shuttle bus driver right away in hope of finding it ASAP. But along the way, we asked at least 8-10 people, most of them barked at us to move along to somewhere past customs. We get shuffled along, to the point of obtaining a temporary visa so we can get to the lost and found department at drop off area of the airport. The whole process took 2 hours because of line ups and getting the wrong directions. This is already 'fast' because I speak a little bit of Chinese, but I cannot imagine any foreign guests' frustration from navigating this place. This airport is built within the last decade, but is poorly designed and maintained. Charging stations only have 1-2 outlets each and so far apart, so my friends are sitting 20 feet apart trying to get our phones charged. Free wifi is advertised, but the login is complicated and doesn't work without asking for the access code. And the speed is ultra slow. Washroom stall doors says pulled but there is no handles. The hanging hooks says a max weight of 2kg (which I considered as little for travellers with bags). This airport seems very big, but for both of the transit flights I landed in the middle of nowhere and had to take the shuttle in the cold (this can be inconvenient for travellers going to hot countries and not prepared for this at all). As I waited for my next flights, at least half of the gates are empty so I don't understand why they can't land at these spots connected to the gates. The heating system is really bad inside. I'm sitting here for another 3 hours waiting for my connecting flight in my winter jackets and I can feel the chill down my back. Overall, if Beijing wants to be recognized internationally as a welcoming host and developed city, this has to be changed.