Beijing Capital Airport

"queuing for more than 2 hours"

Unverified | Total mess at the security makes this airport the worst in the world (my personal rating, but includes decent competitors like Maputo, Riyadh, Moscow and many more). Closed booth, duplicate checks, incredible delays at security belt, personnel speaking no English. Nearly missed my flight after queuing for more than 2 hours.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"It was not user-friendly"

(Japan)

Verified Review | Very nice airport - the building. But, on my first transit through PEK, all passengers were de-planed down a stairway onto the tarmac where we waited for buses to bring us to the terminal, and again upon departure. There were many unused jetways visible, and these were large international planes. On my returning flight, they used the jetways. "Free WiFi" required one to go to one of several specific gates where an access code was promised. First designated gate I found had no posting. Second one did, but then directed users to go back to the area where we had left the security screening. It was not user-friendly, confusing, and in the end I decided I'd rather not open up my email address and iPhone to those in charge of PEK airport. I didn't see a single working escalator. There were moving walkways in the terminals, but only going in one direction. I guess you'd better not be in a hurry the other direction!
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"The signage is very poor"

Verified Review | This is up there with Mexico as the worst international Airport! Although security is being ramped up everywhere, the security here is overbearing. The signage is very poor so it is incredibly hard to work out where you are meant to go. There were several passengers who waited in line before me for ages, only to be told they needed to be in another queue. When I went to the short-term international transit desk, I was told to go to another area to get a boarding pass. I went there - wrong. I needed to go through customs first. At another time I was lining up, there was a local guide, and he told me to go to a particular line, even though that was for "Chinese passport holders" according to the signs. Once you go through security there is nothing but toilets. I left and went to some shops, a restaurant and had a coffee before going through security. Avoid this airport if possible (I was in transit from Europe and will avoid in future)!
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"there was just a single booth open"

(China)

Verified Review | I can only comment on one thing during my transfer through Beijing airport and that is immigration control. Due to my limited time there and my one and only visit, I won't deduct too many points for this, but in my assessment of immigration checks at the airport, I will be critical. I believe that for transfers, more of an effort should be made by the airport to get foreign travelers through immigration checks faster. I had a 2 hour 15 minute transfer in Beijing airport at 5.00am, and the queue was 100+ in each section (international transfers and domestic transfers/arrivals). In both sections, there was just a single booth open, and each client would take 1 minute to be assessed. It took a large amount of time out of my transfer time and ultimately I felt pressured to accept assistance for payment to reach my departure gate for the next flight. I think Beijing airport should have had an extra staff on each section to get foreign travelers through faster. After about 45 minutes more staff did arrive to help, so this would suggest that there is staff available - common sense should have been applied. Other than that I was satisfied with Beijing airport. It was tidy, easy to see where to go, and I was not stressed about my first transfer in Beijing airport.

"whole airport a mess"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | Beijing Capital is certainly the worst airport I have visited. A thunderstorm in night time turned the whole airport into a mess, even for the next day. Nearly every flight on the route to Guangzhou / Shenzhen / Hong Kong was delayed. The check-in queue was extremely long, the security also. We waited in the restricted area for 7 hours for a delayed flight. I couldn't even connect to the WiFi in the restaurant.

"I was very impressed"

Verified Review | Well getting through the various levels of security and getting our boarding tickets is time consuming but to be expected. Hainan counter staff for platinum card holders made it very easy to get our boarding passes and check our luggage. Once all was said and done we got to the departure areas gate for Hainan. I was very impressed with how comfortable it is and the amenities available for eating and shopping.

"WiFi was a problem"

Verified Review | Great arrival at Beijing Capital, easy to clear customs with everyone in my tour group including those people with group visas. Getting to baggage claim area was easy. Exiting the airport was also quite easy. Wifi was a problem, people with mobiles needed to have a code texted to themselves which given that we are travelling internationally is not exactly doable for most people. Additionally for those with iPads or laptops they need WeChat to connect to the wifi, no WeChat not free wifi.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"domestic flights being delayed and cancelled"

Unverified | Terribly messed up with the countless numbers of domestic flights being delayed and cancelled. Because everyone's flight is being delayed, there's hardly any seats available in the entire airport. You'll just have to wait patiently at the boarding gate because there's no other way to find out when the delayed flight will be boarding passengers. And even after boarding there's no guarantee that the flight is sure to take off. The flight I was on trapped us in a stationary plane for 12hrs!
Date VisitAugust 2017

"countless numbers of domestic flights"

Unverified | Terribly messed up with the countless numbers of domestic flights being delayed and cancelled. Because everyone's flight is being delayed, there's hardly any seat available in the entire airport. You'll just have to wait patiently at the boarding gate because there's no other way to find out when the delayed flight will be boarding passengers. And even after boarding there's no guarantee that the flight is sure to take off. The flight I was on trapped us in a stationary plane for 12hrs!
Date VisitAugust 2017

"does not have enough jetways"

Verified Review | Beijing Airport does not have enough lighting. Customer service staff do not respect the customer by using Chinese to communicate with the foreigners. Chaotic and disorderly, as you line up through the security line, many local passengers encroach and cross the barriers to get ahead of the queue. Need to have multiple screens of flight information. When a flight is delayed / late, the passenger should be informed by posting on the information board or via the loudspeaker system of the airport. The airport does not have enough jetways, so use the bus to transport passengers from the aircraft to terminal. Should provide easy access wifi service.
Date VisitJuly 2017