Airline of the Year

Barcelona Airport

"won't forget yesterday's experience or return"

Unverified | Arrival into the airport was great however the departure was definitely not! Flew from section Y in Terminal 2 yesterday. Plenty of shops on the walk there to kill time then hit passport control. Quite a long queue but thankfully it moved quite quickly. It was warm throughout the airport (the shops themselves were cool) but the waiting area in section Y was akin to standing in an oven! I was surprisingly the first one at the boarding gate but the staff are clueless in managing the queues properly. They requested seats 22-33 queue separately so they could board first as it turned out only the front door of the plane was being used. It became quite obvious after a while that people were joining that queue because it was the only one moving and the 2 staff checking passports did nothing, I was so hot and fed up I stopped being politely British and waited no longer. Lo and behold, I enter the plane and there are lots of people sitting near the front. Never so glad to be on a plane going home because at least it had air con! How a big major airport in a hot country does not have air con in its boarding areas is mystifying and appalling really given the amount of time you have to wait there. I went to Barcelona in 2012 and do not remember any problems then but I certainly won't forget yesterday's experience or return in a hurry.
Date VisitJune 2017

"passport control was very slow"

(Turkey)

Verified Review | Passport control queue was very very slow at Barcelona Airport. Only two officers were working. Our flight was delayed because of us. There were many other passengers flying to other countries who are trying move forward within the queue to catch their flights which is not very well accepted by the others. Against that queue, police officers were talking among them instead of serving.
Date VisitJune 2017

"No shopping. No choice of food"

I hate this airport! I was boarding at gate D and once you go through security you're not allowed back down which is not fair. My plane was delayed two hours! No shopping. No choice of food, only McDonald's and I'm a vegetarian and also no smoking. Awful airport!

"has a weird layout"

The new terminal at Barcelona Airport has a weird layout, after security check people are divided to Schengen / non-Schengen. Signs show the ways to gates A-C downstairs and D-E upstairs. Towards D-E gates you must go through passport control where a piece of paper is attached to the passport control booth saying once you cross this point you will not be able to return to the retail area. Oops, too late! Signs should let you know that you can go downstairs to the duty free and restaurant area then return to the passport control. A host standing there also directed us to the passport control not giving chance to go down. Really stupid layout and I am pretty sure the airport loses a lot of money since not I was the only one watching with a sad face the missed duty free area from upstairs where you have a small duty free and a McDonald's.

"Poor experience overall"

Poor experience overall. Badly laid out and staff looked like extras from the walking dead with little to no motivation at all. My personal biggest gripe was with smoking. I'm an ecig user but treated as a tobacco smoker which is ok but the only area smoking is permitted (apparently) is outside front entrance. This means whilst waiting several hours for my flight I had to make several trips outside which meant several trips through security. Extremely poor considering the amount of smokers there are not to mention clogging up the airport with constant trips in and out of building. Definitely will not travel here again.

"An absolute shambles"

Verified Review | Coming home from a hen weekend in Barcelona, we arrived at the airport 3 hours early due to an email that had been sent out from Ryanair telling us that due to extended Travel Document Checks by Border Control Authorities, there could be delays at immigration control points. So we arrived in good time, got through security quite quickly and then seated ourselves near one of the travel boards that showed the various different flights and gate numbers. As soon as the gate was shown for our flight, we proceeded to area Y in Terminal 2B. We were greeted by what can only be described as a 'cattle market' of people, but as we arrived as soon as the gate was shown, we thought we would be ok. The mass of people hardly moved within an hour and by this stage it said our flight was boarding. We asked one of the 'delightful' security staff if we could go to the top, he said no. We then asked would the plane wait, he said yes. Another 30mins passed and now it was final call for our flight, they still wouldn't let us through. Nearing the actual passport control booth, it now said the gate was closed. A member of our party ran on ahead and saw that the gate was closed and weren't letting anyone on (even though the plane was still sitting there and presumably, half empty). We went back to the security man who said it would wait, and all of a sudden he couldn't understand English. An absolute shambles! Missed our flight because of it and had to fork out more money for various other things (hotel, other flights). Needs a complete overhaul, including their staff being trained in customer service! They are extremely lucky that a riot didn't break out!
Date VisitMay 2017

"queues this morning were chaotic"

The queues to get to the departure gates this morning were chaotic, I was one of many who queued for over 1 hour with no staff or announcements to say what the problem was. If I was on my own I would have missed my plane (the 11.25 to Birmingham), fortunately my daughter was with me. This experience will certainly make me think twice about another visit to Barcelona.
Date VisitMay 2017

"miserable conditions with no helpful staff"

An absolute disaster. We departed for the U.S. yesterday, and experienced a 2+ hour wait at passport control - passport control is after the ticket counter and security. There were no defined lines in which to stand, just 2000 people in a huge room trying to get to the 2 or 3 passport control agents not in an orderly way - miserable conditions with no helpful staff to guide folks along.

"very inefficient service"

Verified Review | What's good here? Nothing. Over 1 hour queue for passport control on departure. No access to a lounge, shops and restaurants from the E gates. Very inefficient service. No facilities for smokers. A third world experience that totally disappoints and fails to meet the high standards of everything else in Barcelona city.
Date VisitApril 2017

"Barcelona did not make me feel welcome"

Verified Review | The customer service at this airport is pathetic. Not only that but finding security and/or information if you do not speak Spanish is quite the challenge. Then when you finally find someone that speaks your language they speak to you rudely. I was simply trying to find my luggage that has been in their lost and found for my full stay in Barcelona because Sata International lost my luggage and when they found it didn't return it to me so I was without my luggage for my 10 day vacation in Europe. Barcelona did not make me feel welcome in their country and I will not be coming back.