Top 100 Airports

Barcelona Airport

"saw many lost people"

(Spain)

It was a horrible experience. More than 1000 non EU travelers waiting to pass through the police borders with children and elderly people without air conditioning and only 2 borders policemen. It took me more than 2 hours to pass through. And when you ask for information the three agents who were organizing the lines, including the one in Transit desk, no one speaks English. I saw many lost people especially those who were in transit. On the other side, we were looking at the only 50 EU travelers passing through with also 2 policemen.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"staff surly, unprofessional and unhelpful"

The one good thing about Barcelona airport is that it's close to the city. Barcelona is a great city, but it should be ashamed of its airport. The airport appears to be quite new, but it's dirty, poorly signposted, and the staff are arrogant. After arriving at the airport, we went through security. There were no signs instructing passengers how to put their bags in the scanner, so a female officer was mumbling instructions. Confusion everywhere. I took my laptop out of my bag and was told to put it back in. After getting through security, we came to the top of some stairs leading down to the departure area, assuming that passport control was further ahead we proceeded through. Passport control is actually hidden off the left of security with poor signage. In normal airports, it's physically impossible to get into the departure area without passing through passport control. We searched for the airline lounge (Sala VIP), which is also hidden away without proper signage. When we tried to check in there, the receptionist told us to go back to passport control. From her response, I guessed that it happens all the time. People who go straight to boarding with no time to spare will get a nasty suprise. We met several other people rushing back to complete passport control. When we got to the check-in counter for Singapore Airlines, the screens were lit up, and there were no barriers in place, so I pushed my trolley up to the business class counter and started to unload my bags. I was brusquely told to get back and wait. "We don't open for 20 minutes. You wait." We spent 40 minutes watching the staff chat and laugh around the counters, and then we were allowed to check-in. A similar situation happened at the boarding gate. Apparently the plane was late coming in, but none of Singapore Airlines ground staff thought to keep passengers updated. The boarding and departure times were not updated on the flight information panel. Every employee we met in Barcelona airport was surly, unprofessional and unhelpful. Tables in the VIP lounge were never cleared or cleaned. The food selection was pathetic. I was very disappointed that Singapore Airlines had allowed its normally high service standards to slide to such a poor level in this airport. They need to retrain their ground staff there.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"3 hours early but only made final call"

(Hong Kong)

Appalling experience at Barcelona Airport. Reached the airport 3 hours early but only made it to final call for boarding. Took 1 hour to obtain custom stamping for VAT refund before check-in. No clear signage for the counter and only one counter open. No officer to manoeuvre the long queue as people kept forgetting to fill up the forms or getting passport and travel docs ready. There is no way to return to / access the retail or main shopping area (one level below, "gate A,B,C") after passing through passport control for gates D and E passengers. No signage or information to warn passengers. Nothing much at this boarding area, only McDonalds, a cafe, a book store and duty free shop. The staff in the duty free shop was not informative and asked us to check at the info center, and guess what? The info counter is located before the passport control.

"horrible experience"

Barcelona Airport is a disgrace. Baggage check queues always twice as long as other airports here, and once you do make it through security and passport control can take up to 2 hours. It was absolutely ridiculous to think there was no system in place to filter EU / non-EU or even remotely assist people who's flight was on last call. The chaos resulted in a 500m sprint to the gate where we just about made it, however many other passengers were left behind regardless - horrible experience.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"baggage claim is chaotic"

Arrived at Barcelona El Prat from the U.S. on July 3rd around 1pm, and departed on July 9th. On arrival, the line to get through immigration had hundreds of people, but only about four staffers, it took over an hour and half to get through. Baggage claim is chaotic, our flight was not listed on the board, and there were no workers around. We found our carousel only by word of mouth. To get the train into Sante station, take a shuttle bus (free, but poorly marked) to Terminal 2, then there's a hike through an old overpass to the station.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"focus mainly getting customers into shops"

Barcelona airport is quite new and modern with lots of shops and food outlets, which should be good, but seems to focus mainly on getting customers into the shops rather than making the airport experience an agreeable one for a traveler. The layout is not great, when you arrive you need to surround all shops to get outside, directions are not very clear. The check-in area is very minimalistic, almost no seating or any shops / cafés. The seating options in the area after security are not much better - there are a few cafés, but there are no plugs placed anywhere, in order to charge your devices you need to sit on the floor, horrible for a long wait. WIFI is available for free and quite ok once logged in, usually it takes a while to build a stable connection.
Date VisitJune 2016

"the paying customer suffers"

(Finland)

I was in Barcelona on Business. I arrived at the airport 2.5 hours before my flight. I only had hand luggage but it was not possible to check in online (KLM fault). I waited to check in for 2 hours. The staff ran around like headless chickens and were very rude to, what I might add were paying customers. When I got to security I explained my plane was boarding and they just shrugged their shoulders. I managed to get to my flight. However, the KLM staff and pilot thought it was quite funny the stress everyone was put through and then added because of the slow boarding the plane would be leaving 1 hour late. I managed to get home but not without being put through stress the whole day. The sad reality of today is that airports and flight companies do not work together. Because of their poor cooperation the paying customer suffers. There is no respect for the customer and to be quite honest this is the only service where you can be as rude as you like and get paid for it.

"rude airport staff"

(New Zealand)

We had booked special assistance via a specific spainish airline for my husband who has cerebral palsy. We have had great assistance in all other countries we have visited. Not here. Signage to find our way to special assistance non-existent. Rude airport staff at all points. Special assistance staff made husband walk to the wheelchair bay with them approx 200 meters away rather than bring the wheelchair to him. Left me to push him through passport control to the gate with no support to know where we were going. Appalling.
Date VisitJune 2016

"early morning security check was fast"

(Portugal)

In my opinion Barcelona Airport T1 is a good international airport. At 5am you can drink a cup of coffee and take breakfast before your early flight. The duty free shops and other stores open at 6am so passengers that need to take early flights can still do last minute shopping. The early morning security check was fast and the only problem I have with service was the fact that we are obliged to take bus to embark the plane instead of using a airbridge, but this is a Vueling problem, not the airport.
Date VisitJune 2016

"only just made our flight"

The transfer process was so slow that we missed our flight. We queued to get through passport control for an hour. There was no announcement of last call. When we finally got through to our gate our Monarch flight to Birmingham had closed and secured doors. This meant extra night and flights to pay for. We booked to fly following day and arrived 3 hours before departure. Again checked in ok, passed through security ok. But passport control even worse. Only just made our flight departure and others were left at the gate again. No priority for soon to depart passengers, zero staff assistance, hostile passport control, no flight announcements. Absolute shambles.