Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport

"full of rude staff"

Trip Verified | The 'Airport of Smiles' that is full of rude staff, unorganised queue and crowded elevators I travelled with my partner to Thailand for Songkran Festival. On our departure, we discovered the worst airport experience we have ever had. Although a big crowd was expected for the festival, the queue was terribly organised. There was no one helping to organise the queue. All the passengers were just confusedly flowing to random lanes at security check and immigration points. My partner and I went to the immigration counter together as we have normally done in other airports in many places. On our arrival, we had no problem doing so. For this time, the officer angrily asked me what I was doing. I did not expect what we thought to be normal to provoke his anger. I politely replied "can I not wait here". He rudely told me to step back. When I got to him, I told him I thought it would speed things up for him to have all the passports at hand. He was even angrier and found an excuse that he only has two hands and there is only one camera. He kept his angry face going and scolded me even harder about the 'queuing policy'. I gave up in believing in the 'airport of smiles'. I believe many places that I have visited prefer visitors who travel together to be at the counter together. Even if this is not the case for Suvarnabhumi Airport, there should be signs indicating so. Rude officers do not help to ease airport congestion, but worsen it. Given the long unorganised queue behind me, the officer already wasted almost a minute scolding me. I strongly urge the airport management and relevant authorities to urgently investigate the airport's operation efficiency, including staff attitudes and queue management. Thailand has a reputation of being the kingdom of smiles - do not ruin it.
Date VisitApril 2018

"the experience just gets more frustrating"

Not Verified | Took three hours to go through departure immigration. Worst experience ever, I have traveled on many occasions from Bangkok Airport and the experience just gets more frustrating with such long queues. This is definitely the reason why many people are put off from returning here.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"everything is very neat and clean"

Not Verified | When I landed at the Suvarnabhumi airport, I was really taken aback by the sheer size and number of people commuting from there. It is a big airport with all the modern facilities that travellers can think of. Lot of airlines fly their flights from this airport. People and staff are quite helpful and everything is very neat and clean. A great experience altogether.
Date VisitMay 2017

"Immigration stupidity"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Immigration stupidity. After a long late evening flight, I was very pleasantly surprised to see no queues at the immigration. Unfortunately the positive was quickly turned into negative due to utter stupidity. Why dear Thai immigration do you have one staff member checking the correctness of the immigration forms and 10 Immigration desk staffed to process them. Yes, it was a stupid and completely unnecessary bottleneck. Please wake your management up from their smartphones and rethink the whole process including the use of the immigration forms. Just really happy I arrived at a not busy time.

"Complete chaos"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Complete chaos. The queue for security started from downstairs of the escalators and continued all the way to the immigration. Due to immigration being the normal bottleneck the security staff had to stop security screening and wait for the immigration to catch up. Absolutely a circus that is an embarrassment to Thailand. When will they start looking at the whole immigration process and learn from experts overseas and get rid of these stupid immigration paper forms and old fashion passport stamping.

"Terrible service"

Trip Verified | Long queuing times all the way. Terrible service. Queuing at check in, then at security control, then at passport control. A complete review of the processes should be conducted. For a country like Thailand where tourism is so important, it is astonishing that the main airport offers such a sad spectacle.

"food absolutely awful"

Trip Verified | Miracle Lounge Staff good but food in both the business and first absolutely awful. Can you imagine artificial crab sticks, processed cheese, cheap ham, spaghetti and an uninspiring offering of cheap "street food dishes", the most boring of sandwiches and the odd pastries as being an appropriate First class offering let alone business. The only reading material seems to be inflight magazines and no TV. Don't bother writing to their customer services as they will not bother to respond.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"the waiting lines are a mile long"

(Belgium)

Not Verified | As always the waiting lines are a mile long. Thousands of Chinese people are shouting and pushing their way around the airport. They do not understand the principle of waiting in line, security and passport checks are flooded with hordes of Chinese. At least 1500 to 2000 people waiting and only 5 desks are open provoking waiting times up to 45 min at the passport checks. Boarding procedures are from another era. They push you into buses, drive you around for 15 minutes and then let you wait 15 minutes in front of the airplane. They make you feel like cattle lining up. Disgusting.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"really need to be wearing your walking shoes"

Trip Verified | Arrival was by bus as our plane had to park way off. Once in the terminal we only had to walk a short distance to immigration. The line was short but then we had an express business pass. We were out of the airport within 20 minutes roughy of landing. Departure, we could see the huge line up to get through immigration/customs through glass. There seemed to be a massive amount of people around generally. There is not much to do before you go through to airside, hard when you are early, although there seemed to be some attractive gardens on the ground floor. Too hard to get to when rolling cases. We had an express pass so immigration and customs was quick. You can also access express if you are elderly (+75) etc. I managed to get a smile out of the immigration agent as he was humming and I made a positive comment. Inside you really appreciate the vastness of this airport. There are plenty of places to eat but all seemed crowded. Signage was okay with check boards every now and then. The toilets were ok, just, Our gate was right at the end. You really need to be wearing your walking shoes for this airport. I’d definitely recommend an express pass if you can organise it. Especially if you are a senior.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"airport keeps falling down the rankings"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | I am forced to use BKK on many occasions throughout the year. At least I have the benefit of fast track immigration service, although I have yet to see any Immigration officer actually smile since this airport opened. The restaurants are expensive and of general poor quality. The wash basins in the toilets with their long U-shaped water dispensers are a disaster. They are permanently splashing water all over the floors. The duty free is considerably more expensive compared to other regional hubs. My main complaint, which I have made before, is not just the lack of A380 gates, however, but the complete absence of any obvious attempt over several years by the airport authority to upgrade more existing gates to make them accessible by more A380 aircraft. Last night I arrived from Hong Kong. The flight departure was delayed in part because BKK was not ready for another A380. Yet when we finally arrived almost 45 minutes late, the Emirates flight with about 600 on board arrived at a standard two airbridge gate. So upper deck passengers had to descend to the lower deck in order to exit along with hundreds of other economy passengers. It's no wonder this airport keeps falling down the rankings because the Airport Authority clearly has little interest in investing what must surely only be a small amount of capital to increase the already small number of gates capable of accommodating the A380.