Airline of the Year

Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport

"stopped and harassed multiple times"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | Because of a technical problem on my incoming flight, the transit time had shrunk to 40 minutes before the next flight's take-off. I have to say, in Kuala Lumpur, Singapore or Hong Kong that sort of time window would be "just nice" to walk over to another gate. Not so at Suvarnabhumi: Right after disembarking we were stopped by ground staff who asked to see our (used) boarding passes and checked them off the passenger manifest one by one, which took quite some time. Another staff member did wait around with my next flight number in hand, adding to the sense of urgency - but that is where any assistance ended. On my way to my next gate, I was stopped and harassed multiple times, told to join long queues at some of these arbitrary 'pit stops', and shouted at by security staff who even X-rayed my shoes. Upon finally reaching the gate, the ground staff demanded I step aside and produce my "bag number" (?). To be fair, I did make it, and so did my luggage. But the experience was a nightmare straight out of a bad action movie. Couldn't the ground staff send a buggy and/or an assistant to whisk me between gates, if time was a real issue? In the future I have to avoid this airport: Between the bizarre procedures, the lack of coordination and caring, and the very poor communication and English on the part of the very young staff, it clearly doesn't take much before things go horribly wrong.
Date VisitMay 2017

"staff are friendly and helpful"

(Bangladesh)

Verified Review | This is the fourth time I have used Bangkok Suvarnabhumi airport. Before I used it to travel into Thailand but this time I was only in transit. It's big airport, heavy passenger traffic. I had 2:30 hours. Terminal could be cleaner. Free wifi working well. Many shopping outlets and duty free shops. Good options for spending time. Found staff are friendly and helpful.
Date VisitMay 2017

"almost no seating in public areas"

(New Zealand)

In general, if you can transit Asia via Changi, Hong Kong or KL airports, you should rather than BKK. And if you're not interested in going to Bangkok, entry to and exit from Thailand is more pleasant via Chiang Mai. The main reasons are BKK airports air con, noise and almost no seating in public areas. Air con: it's the worst feature in that is very inadequate still, and in some areas is very poor. You don't want to have to spend much time in the terminal, shops and eateries. Seating: almost none in the shopping areas. Noise: departure announcements are constant and almost pointless. This is not a silent terminal unlike a lot of modern terminals. Queues: Very good now. 1pm Friday, security 10 minutes, immigration 10 minutes. They've moved security to floor 5 and reduced the queue time, but it's hot up there which they're trying to resolve by the looks of it. But not good yet. Looks: from the outside the terminal looks great. Inside it doesn't feel cramped, the look being somewhat industrial.
Date VisitApril 2017

"not keen on this airport"

Verified Review | Not keen on this airport and have been through it many times on the International side. This was the first time on the Domestic side. Quite a long distance to walk from security to the terminal although a travellator is available. Good selection of shops and food outlets but the passenger lounge is for international passengers only which was a let down. Don Muang has a lounge for Domestic passengers. On the amusing side the toilets are labeled as Happy Moment!
Date VisitApril 2017

"not a comfortable way to travel"

(Indonesia)

Verified Review | Do not transit through Bangkok. I tried a flight from Jakarta to Bangkok to Kolkata but the transit queue was huge and there is no fast track for business class. Not a comfortable way to travel and if Thai want to capture the transit market they will have to improve this. I will avoid it and switch to singapore or Malaysian as those airports are much easier.

"large organised airport"

(Saudi Arabia)

Verified Review | Large organised airport with a huge number of passengers. Upon pulling up to the terminal entrance by taxi, there were many trolleys available nearby and check in areas were divided into zones for groups of airlines. The 2 complaints I have relate to Fast Track and WiFi. Fast Track immigration took longer than a regular queue, and defeated the object of having a Fast Track facility. As for free WiFi access, you need email access in order to get an access password, which is kind of pointless as if one does not have internet access how will he or she get the password (catch 22 situation). For shopping there are countless number shops and eateries with quality products.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"undersized security control"

(Denmark)

Verified Review | Bangkok Suvarnabum is a really big airport where many planes don't connect directly to the terminal, but are parked in a distance with mandatory bus transportation to and from the terminal. There is a really irritating, time consuming and undersized security control when arriving in transit. We experienced this the first time and also on our second transit at Suvarnabum. The airport is neat and clean. Gates were easy to find - but it's impossible to work out how many levels and what to find on the different levels. The signs to / from the shopping area are missing or not visible enough. We happened to find the shopping area when we travelled through Suvarnabum en route to Mandalay - but in the other direction, back to Denmark, when we easily could and would have done some shopping, unfortunately we didn't find the shopping area.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"immigration staff are cold"

(Thailand)

First complaint, Baggage delivery speed. I mentioned this in my Don Muang airport review, since Suvarnabhumi airport has one of the slowest baggage delivery systems in the world. You'd be very lucky if you got a D gate, Baggage delivery within 5 minutes. If you have a G gate, You're better off with carry ons if you're in a rush. I'm from Thailand, so immigration takes only a mere 2 minutes, but if you're a foreigner, be ready to wait an hour during rush hours (evening hours). Duty free here is overpriced, but I'm a king power member so I get a 15% discount, So it doesn't make a difference. Most lounges are pleasant, however avoid the Louis Tavern lounges. They are tiny overcrowded lounges. Tourists do cut queues, but well, it happens. I had an airport staff tell me she had a sore throat from yelling at tourists! Other than these complaints, I enjoy Suvarnabhumi airport since it's big and feels airy. The designers did a good job. Also, Wifi is pretty fast. Staff are pretty nice, but immigration staff are cold.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"security in the airport was tight"

Verified Review | Bangkok Suvarnabhumi airport has a very long layout and it takes a long time to walk from one side to the other. Even if you are in transit you need to go through another security check before you enter the terminal. The security in the airport was tight and the clearance times are long.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"couldn't write a more mixed review of any other airport"

(New Zealand)

I couldn't write a more mixed review of any other airport - they're usually generally good or bad, but BKK is absolutely the ends of both spectrum. Arriving in BKK at 1am was a breeze. Cleared through customs really quickly, had our suitcases arrive shortly after us, found the taxi system straightforward and got into the city within an hour of touchdown. Perfect. Leaving BKK at 8am was the worst experience I have ever had at an airport in my life. We left a lot of time, over 2 and a half hours, because I had a feeling one of our suitcases would incur oversize baggage fees and it might take a few minutes to sort out. The lady at the counter of China Southern was very blunt and rude to us (not BKK's fault, but I digress). In the end we were told it will cost 5,500 baht and we need to pay it before we can check our bags in. That's fine, except for the fact that the place you pay for the excess baggage is halfway down the building and at peak times incredibly difficult to navigate, then wait in another line, then come all the way back to check our bags in. What should have taken 10 minutes ended up taking over an hour. Immigration/passport check took over another hour. They had no way of fast tracking people who were leaving soon, and they were completely out of the forms you're meant to fill in while you're standing in line, which held things up tremendously because we had to do it at the counter as fast as possible. There were at least 4 empty cubicles that could have been staffed and there were hundreds and hundreds of people trying to get through. Once that mess was over we had to run as fast as we could to the very, very end gate just as they were doing the final boarding call for our flight. I'm not an emotional person but my 'no crying in public' rule was definitely broken that morning. By the time we got to the gate I was struggling to breathe and we just made it before they closed the walkway off. Such a ridiculous rigmarole to go through despite being there well before our flight, if there is a next time we will surely try to pick a middle of the night flight so we aren't competing with a thousand other travelers for a spot in the line. Not a nice start to a 20 hour journey home. I can't even comment on the seating, shopping or toilets because we didn't even have a spare 30 seconds to see any of them.
Date VisitJanuary 2017