Bangkok Don Muang Airport

"No order whatsoever"

(Vietnam)

Verified Review | Had to queue for over 3 hours to get a stamp for visa free arrival. No order whatsoever and with more planes arriving the queue was only getting worse. I will never arrive at this airport again. However in saying that apparently the other International airport has also been experiencing issues. Not great for tourism at all.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"4 hour queue at immigration"

(Thailand)

Unverified | The flight landed into Bangkok Don Muang at 1:20am on Sunday 6 August 2017, but my son did not pass through the immigration quques and exit into the greeting area until 5:30am. That was nearly a 4 hour queue at the immigration desk, along with hundreds (thousands) more other frustrated passengers. The Airport Authority of Thailand only refer to a hitch on a couple of days prior to this, on Friday and Saturday, but the situation continued on Sunday as well. Soon after my son landed there were another 6 scheduled flights to land within the next hour, and from the Arrivals Board they were arriving pretty much on time - meaning the queues would get a lot worse and they would probably experience a 5-hour queue wait. It was a bad experience and it will definitely put people off travelling through Don Muang and probably from travelling to Thailand as well.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"immigration is a total mess"

Verified Review | Bangkok Don Mueang immigration is a total mess unworthy of an international airport. I used this airport several times for flights in Thailand and where I do not have to go through immigration on the way back, that was OK. But last time I came back from Singapore late in the evening, and I had to wait more than 2h30 in a completely disorganized queue to go through immigration. And now I hear that a few days later, the situation was even worse! Looks like both the airport authorities and immigration do not care about this situation. If they want to retain the status of "international airport", they need to increase the capacity for dealing with foreign passagers at immigration and organize the queue system like in Suvarnabhumi. In Suvarnabhumi the queues at immigration can sometimes seem impressive, but once you are in the queue, things progress steadily and in a well organized manner. And the immigration officers are efficient and professional. In Don Mueang, it's "dog eat dog" with people trying to cut the queue and switching queues to gain, especially once the big mainland Chinese travel groups arrive. And most officers at immigration do not care at all about the mess. Only 1 in 2 counters were open, but there seemed to be a number of officers available behind. So why don't they open more counters when there is such a mess? The excuse for the 4 hours wait last Friday apparently is 4 late arriving planes. They say they can only deal with 1000 foreign passengers in one hour. Four planes in Don Mueang, that's at best 600-800 passengers. This situation is most probably very detrimental to tourism in Thailand, a country that really needs it's tourism industry. Elsewhere, something like this happens, heads will start to roll. An arrival area such as this does not give a good impression of Thailand and certainly does not provide the feeling that you are arriving in a developed country which cares about the tourists bringing money into the country. Bottom line, next time I will plan a trip out of Thailand and back, I might still leave from Don Mueang as my wife lives close by, but I will definitely book a flight back to Suvarnabhumi where immigration works. Sorry Air Asia, but there are competitors that fly to Suvarnabhumi at quite competitive prices. Arriving in Suvarnabhumi I might have had the time to go from Suvarnabhumi to Don Mueang and back at least twice during my wait at Don Mueang Immigration.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"queue for immigration was very long"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | It was my worst experience at an airport. My flight from Bangkok Don Muang was delayed and there is no smoking room. Food and beverage prices are high and quality is bad. When I arrived the queue for immigration was very long and no one tried to manage this . Some tourists told me they waited for 3 hours.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"no airport staff that was willing to help"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | Don Muang Immigration queues - nightmare! (Arrived and departed in June). You are very likely to miss your connecting flights, if you booked a different airline. There is no co-ordination at the immigration hall. There are nowhere near enough staff to process the huge waves of people that are backlogged. There are empty immigration desks, with staff walking around in the back, not wanting to acknowledge or look at the massive lines they were not helping to process. The lines were wall to wall, super long, and not moving. They even closed desks when there were clearly like a thousand people in line. I am a very cautious planner, and had budgeted a connecting flight over 3.5 hours after landing and I still just barely made my flight. I had stood in line looking at my watch patiently for an hour. Moved about 15 people, in a line of probably 70-100 people. The immigration hall was full of a sea of people, people cutting lines, walking up and down trying to cut or see why nobody was moving forward. I even saw two immigration desks close down in the middle of the mayhem. Yet, the head honcho guy was just smiley, ignoring the very unhappy crowded lines in front of him, and just chatting up the rest of the staff at different desks that were trying to process the people. He was distracting them. After standing in line for 2 hours, going nowhere, I started getting nervous. After another 30 minutes, I had to literally beg some people at the beginning of the line to let me through, otherwise, I would miss my flight. At first they didn't want to let me through, because they had been waiting probably longer than I had and thought I was skipping all the way to the front after just arriving. I showed them the chronometer on my stopwatch which was still running which showed 2.5 hours and counting (the check-in desk for my connecting flight closes 45 mins before departure.) And they got that I had also suffered the hours of wasted time along with them. Thank you to those two families. There were no Airport staff that was willing to help with my timely predicament, even when I was able to grab someone. They spoke English, but talked to other staff, and no one knew what to do. They just said get back in line, or you have to ask the people in front. So, I did just that, without their assistance. I vowed not to go through Don Muang Airport again, if I can. No one seems to care if arriving passengers make connecting flights or not.
Date VisitJune 2017

"It was a horrendous experience"

Unverified | The airport immigration is a disaster! Arrived at 12.30am and did not clear immigration until more than 5 hours later! There were no queues! It was just crowds all pushing towards a handful of open immigration counters. From the end of the crowd, you can't see which counters are open and which are not. You can only push forward until you are close to the front before you can see that the counter is closed and have to head towards the nearest next counter, pushing together with the crowd. Everybody was hot and sweaty. It was a horrendous experience. Any other country, Nepal, India are all so so much better than this. Totally hate the experience! You see people fainting, hear kids wailing. And I have to add, the immigration officers were lazing around, instead of opening more counters or managing the crowd, they just walked up and down, chatting, laughing instead of doing anything. I will never ever fly into this airport again! Totally inhumane place! Utter disgrace for Thailand!
Date VisitAugust 2017

"ridiculous attempt at airport management"

(Cambodia)

Verified Review | Thailand's immigration processes have never been fantastic. When the budget carriers were still running our of Suvarnabhumi, it was nothing short of mayhem, but then they reopened Bangkok Don Muang and moved the budget carriers there. At that time, provided you were not checking luggage, DMK was actually a much much quicker routine. You'd use the self service machines to check in, then just waltz on through with usually nobody in the immigration line. It suited me nicely as I was flying about once a week through Bangkok regionally. Then the flood started. Air Asia and other operators started flying jam packed flights out of China and ramped the number up quickly. It slowed things down massively. Around that time, I pulled my finger out and got myself an APEC frequent business traveler card and thus could waft through Suvarnabhumi's lines with minimal wait, so I largely gave up on Air Asia and DMK. Just last week I needed to bring the whole family and a nanny to Bangkok at short notice and I just thought I'd save a few dollars by flying Air Asia. I thought to myself, what is an extra 30 minutes line time vs $350 or so all up? How wrong I was. As expected, upon landing there were three other flights inbound from Chinese cities, all jammed full and there had obviously been no coordination between Airport ops and Immigration. When I saw this, I thought to myself, "well, I have an APEC card, so I'll bend the rules a little and take the family through the Priority Lane". Uh uh, no way. The entry to that lane, now has three different, ambiguous banners that basically allow anyone who is not a single male, into the line. There is some vague banner about it being acceptable for single women travelers to use this lane. Thus there were about 8 single, young ladies furiously pumping out WeChat messages with selfies to show how bad their wait was. There were no staff to help organize the lines which is always a massive fail by the airport. It took us a little over an hour to clear this stage and we could see from the regular lines, that people were waiting much longer. I would estimate up to 3 hours, but it's hard to say for sure. I believe that Thailand still has an Open Skies Policy. They talked about trying to end it in 2015, but I guess the airlines put the moz on that. Seriously, if Bangkok expects to be taken seriously as a hub, it cannot continue to operate like this. I've recently been through those old favorites of Changi, Hong Kong and even KL and they are all much better this ridiculous attempt at airport management.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"a scene of utter chaos"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | Arriving in Don Muang from Changi Airport, Singapore, at around 13.45 on Friday afternoon it was a scene of utter chaos and took two hours to reach the immigration desk. Having read other stories for Saturday arrivals the authorities blamed it on many planes arriving at the same time. This seems to have happened on many occasions as the same happened to a colleague of mine arriving around midnight on Saturday, another two hour scenario and in reality it now seems the norm. So too many planes are arriving at the same time constantly! Absolutely crazy! Will never use Don Muang again, no organisation whatsoever and a terrible 'first impression' for those arriving for their dream holiday here.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"nearly 3 hrs to clear immigration"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | Unlike many of the other reviewers I arrived into the airport mid afternoon. My flight ironically arrived early but the chaos I observed in immigration was like nothing I had ever seen before at any airport around the world and I have travelled a lot. The hall was completely packed with passengers desperately trying to clear immigration. There was no clearly demarcated lines and no airport staff on the passenger side of the immigration desks to organize the passengers. On top of that the air con was not working and the conditions therefore hot and humid. With no organized queues many lines were not moving as too many people filtering into 1 desk. It took me nearly 3 hrs to clear immigration and that was after 1 desk opening near to me after 2 hours. Otherwise I really don't know how long it would have taken. This is clearly unacceptable. What about those families traveling with small children or elderly. Thai airport authorities need to do something about this quickly and airlines like Air Asia need to put pressure on them to do so. I won't be using this airport again in the near future and I would recommend all to avoid it until this is corrected.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"worst service I have ever had"

(Thailand)

Unverified | On 7th July, I waited for more than 3 hours with my 8 year old daughter for immigration. The worst service I have ever had. There were two counters for priority and a pregnant lady was denied to use the counter and another passenger who had to catch a flight at Suvarnabumi was also denied access for priority Lane. Very, very poor service and inhuman approach.
Date VisitJuly 2017