Vote Airport

Bangalore Airport

"clean, bright, modern and welcoming"

Travel through Bangalore (Bengaluru) airport is a tale of two halves. Outside the airport in the taxi and passenger drop off zone, the scene is one of chaos, this subsides somewhat as you enter the terminal as only travelling passengers with valid tickets are allowed to enter the terminal (remember to bring a copy of your itinerary with you when departing to secure your entry). Once past the check in counter and further on past a multitude of passport checks (I counted nine between check in and the aircraft), peace begins to reign. The international departures hall is clean, bright, modern and welcoming. It's not large, is well signposted and easy to navigate. Neither is it very busy, so it is a pleasant enough place to await your flight and of course, being India, all the staff are friendly, polite and helpful.
Date VisitNovember 2015

"not enough space to sit at the gate"

The airport is a green field airport so space was not a constraint. You will find series of gardens on the approach road. However, no usable space inside terminal. The approach road to the terminal is narrow resulting in congestion. The dropping area and pick up area is totally unplanned with cars crossing and pedestrians walking. The same make it unsafe. If you are not taking an airport cab then you have to cross roads. Inside terminal, there are no announcements. Not enough space to sit at the gate. In fact, walking becomes a pain during peak hours. The luggage belt is age old type where you can sleep till your luggage arrives. The airport is just a scale up version of old airport mechanics. Airport cannot justify the fee they charge passengers. Some of the AAI airports are far better then this. Lastly, no CAT III landing facility resulting in closure of airport in low visibility.
Date VisitDecember 2015

Bangalore Airport customer review

Bangalore domestic is not the nicest. Strange check in counter system and then an escalator to take you to security. Strange layout. Security was efficient though crowded. Bad signage and once agin we have to take an escalator down as our flight was one level down. Evening flight so many departures and very over crowded. Not the best experience.
Date VisitApril 2015

Bangalore Airport customer review

Appalling service at this airport. Let's start with how first there was nobody to great transit passengers from the plane. We were just shouted at by some security Officer to "sit over there". Next when someone did arrive they collected all our passports and took them somewhere for well over 2 hours. (Not even sure why they needed to do this!) it wasn't explained. When they finally returned. We were led to security and met by the two most vile security officers who were both rude and arrogant. Bags were then checked but they wouldn't let us see what they were doing. We then had to wait a further 20 mins for a female to arrive to check the women in our group. Once they were satisfied we 'passed' security. The man still was being rude and grinning saying things in his own language. Furthermore we had paid for the 1st class lounge which we didn't get to even use as by the time the staff had faffed about and followed us everywhere (making us feel like some criminals) it was time to board our flight! Will never be using this airport in the future. Disgusting service from all members of staff.
Date VisitAugust 2015

(Italy)

I have flown through this airport several times, every time I arrive the Immigrations is quite fast along with the baggage claim. The only thing they lack is with the shopping space inside the airport and the really complicated wifi service which must be upgraded.
Date VisitAugust 2014

Bangalore Airport customer review

BLR just completed a 2-year expansion process to bring its capacity up to 15 million passengers annually. The airport has already reached that capacity and needs to do it all over again to keep up with its 15% growth rate. Between September 2014 and March 2015 six international arrival and six departure experiences all business class and all good. At departure lines to enter the airport with e-ticket in hand as the entry pass were fair to excellent check-in for business class was almost instantaneous emigration counters were fully manned and moved quickly security was slightly chaotic but times were fair to good. Lounges were good to excellent. At arrival immigration wait times were at most a few minutes the entry hand baggage security check was a fairly quick joke cumbersome and wasted 3-4 minutes; except on one occasion luggage arrived reliably within 15 minutes of our arriving at the belt. Customs was always a wave through no matter how much luggage I had. From aircraft seat to taxi door the time required was between 30 and 45 minutes except on one occasion when my "priority" bags were the last 3 on the luggage belt. Taxi lines were properly policed to prevent queue jumping and on one occasion cleared a line of more than 150 people in 20 minutes. In sum a better experience than most airports I use.

Bangalore Airport customer review

Surprised by some of the comments here - especially describing the terminal as a tin shed. I've flown in and out of BLR both on domestic and international flights several times and I find the terminal building to be light airy and very pleasant. My domestic experience is first rate. Our bags are always out within 5 mins of arriving at the belt - never the case in the UK or the 'Western' world. Departure - numerous security lines and clear signage plenty of shops and restaurants. Genuinely no complaints. International - arrival security check is cumbersome and time consuming and the immigration process can be bureaucratic but after that the bags are out quickly and getting a cab is safe easy and well priced. Departure - easy security and immigration. Only complaint is there are not enough seats in peak hour. Other than that it is an 8/10 international airport.

Bangalore Airport customer review

Bad. My family and I are frequent flyers to the Middle East. And among the 3 Indian Airports used by us (Mangalore Bangalore Mumbai) Bangalore seems to be the worst in terms of service. I have no complaints regarding the infrastructure however the staff I've dealt with in Bangalore are the just too uncivil. My mother has had bad experiences with the immigration staff a couple of times. Extremely rude and arrogant. I have had my share of experiences. I would have avoided using Bangalore International Airport if I could help it. Unfortunately it is the most convenient considering I live here. One thing for sure BIAL has spoilt the reputation of Bangalore among all tourists who have dealt with BIAL.

Bangalore Airport customer review

The airport is located in what can best be described as a tin shed. There was no skybridge and no bus - they actually made us walk for a hundred yards in the dark to reach the 'terminal'. I don't have to mention that everyone from the ground staff to the guys unloading the luggage were rudely asking us for money all the way through. The arrival hall was a disaster. We were herded through like cattle past passport control and customs - the fact that they took their time shaking down each and every of the foreign passengers for money didn't make the queue go any faster. There was no AC in the hall and no ventilation either. Speaking of queues - the Indian passengers didn't seem to know what that was and crowded the counters in spite of protests from the foreigners in line. Baggage pickup was in a dinghy hall where our stuff was just dumped in the middle in a huge heap leaving us to pull it out by ourselves. There was no security and no order at all. From the outside the airport tried its best to exude a modern facade with a sweeping roof apparently built at great expense by an American company and it did succeed even though the roof was badly maintained and falling apart in places. But it did not make up for the fact that this was one place you really do not want to fly through. Period.

Bangalore Airport customer review

I recently flew in to Bangalore from Sydney through Cathay Pacific / Dragonair. Then after a few days I used this airport for the Bangalore - Chennai domestic leg via Jet airways as well. The airport has got good facilities and offers a reasonable first impression of the city. All the immigration counters were open and it helped the passengers to move out of the section quickly. However the space between the steps / escalator leading to the immigration hall and the counters is not large enough which makes the queuing a bit difficult than it should otherwise. The on-arrival visa counter had good signage with helpful attendant being present. The customs was a breeze and the carousel worked adequately well. Unlike most Indian airports getting out of the airport is a pleasant experience since it has got ample space and the cab drivers and other onlookers are kept at an arms length.