Bandar Seri Begawan Airport

"Delays, expensive, negligent, rude, unhelpful"

Verified Review | Delays, expensive, negligent, rude, unhelpful. Partner and I were flying Royal Brunei to KK (Kota Kinabalu) from Melbourne, our total transit time was 1 hr and 45 minutes. However upon arrival we find our 45 minute flight was delayed 5 hours. That's 5 hours from 7pm to just after midnight in an airport where it is impossible to get any kind of fresh food. 1 convenience store serving instant noodles, and 1 cafe that had stale pastries and day old meat pastas. Being a vegetarian there was nothing I could eat, apart from 2 minute noodles from the airport 'convenience' store. On our way back, I made the mistake of buying 2 bottles of whisky (both gifts) from KK International airport. The duty free attendant, despite taking note of my boarding pass into Brunei, did not mention anything about alcohol confiscation in Brunei. (I thought being sealed in Duty free packaging would be fine). However, as we passed customs to transit for 1 hour, the two bottles were confiscated, with not so much as a 'Sorry'. Instead the service woman smiled rather rudely and asked for our baggage tag that was given to us upon check in at KK airport from Royal Brunei airlines. Instead of taking time to explain why I had just lost over $150 AUD worth of goods, she instead just told me to read the tiny piece of paper that was stapled under the baggage tag. It read: "All items in excess of 100 ml will be confiscated in Brunei, regardless of whether the items are purchased duty-free from another airport or packed in tamper-evident bags. Please note that no airline shall be held responsible for confiscated items." I could not find this information anywhere on the Australian customs/border control website. At the duty free shop in KK I was not warned, at check in, the Royal Brunei clerk clearly said 'Here are your baggage tags', not 'Here are your baggage tags, and important information regarding carrying alcohol into Australia, since you are transitting Brunei'. Morale of the long story. Read every piece of paper you are given by airport and airline staff, no matter how small. And when stopping in Brunei airport, take no chances with your duty free liquor, or it is good bye money.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"this time I was pleasantly surprised"

(Indonesia)

Verified Review | In 2014 I wrote a review which reflected very badly on Bandar Seri Begawan Airport. However in December 2016 I transited in this airport for the first time since because Royal Brunei Airlines were by far the cheapest for flying from Surabaya to Bangkok Suvarnabhumi. This time I was pleasantly surprised. The renovations are now finished and although dining and shopping options are still not great, they have improved considerably since 2014. Now you have shops in which you can buy snacks and other ones that sell cosmetics and souvenirs. However this airport lacks a bar or a proper duty free shop that sells wine, liquour and cigarettes. I do realise Brunei is a Sharia Law country but airports should be treated as international zones like many in the Middle East are. If they made these improvements, then Brunei Airport would be even more competitive in the international air travel market. Away from shopping and dining, one plus to transiting in Brunei is its small size, which makes short transfer times feasible. Also one negative is that only one security check point was open. I was lucky because I was almost at the front of the queue but I could see a large queue forming behind me. Overall this airport has improved and provided a satisfactory transit experience for myself. Hence I would recommend it especially if someone is desperate to save money on their plane ticket However it still has a long way to go if it is to compete with other hubs like Singapore Changi, Bangkok Suvarnabhumi and even Jakarta Soekarno Hatta.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"food stores were closed"

My whole journey was fine to London but I had to wait in Bandar Seri Begawan airport for around 2-3 hours in transit. It was really boring. I wanted to get a Power Plug because I forgot to buy it in Melbourne but they had nothing. For a small airport it is alright but for me I would personally not travel through this airport again. All the food stores were closed and only had a coffee shop and a buger king. It was a very small terminal which meant that it was very easy to find the gate.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"miserable selection of food and drink"

I travel extensively and without doubt Brunei (Bandar Seri Begawan) is the most depressing airport I have encountered. A miserable selection of food and drink, no choice but to drink second rate coffee and dry, souless food in the only cafe upstairs. It's like going back to the 1980's ! If you are hoping to use the Internet to break the tedium, forget that too, slow or non-existent WiFi. It's best, if you have time, to go out and have a look around the slightly less depressing city. You can't even buy a beer in the airport, which I find particularly insulting. These days I try to avoid this airport at all costs.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"dull and bland"

(Malaysia)

Bandar Seri Begawan airport is dull and bland, the only decent vocab I could use for such so-called "international" airport. It felt like a scene from the walking dead because not one footstep can be heard. No staff, no security and no facilities. Boring place, the only place that can cheer me up is Burger King, other than that, there is an overpriced coffee shop and also a useless airport shop. Signs were everywhere, and as mentioned, no staff to ask around. Pathetic but very clean tho. WiFi also very slow.
Date VisitJune 2016

"I like this quieter ambiance"

Bandar seri Begawan (Brunei) is a small airport and therefore has limited shops and places to eat. However it is clean and comfortable. Being small there are not the crowds that you get in airports like Dubai. I for one like this quieter ambiance.
Date VisitApril 2015

Bandar Seri Begawan Airport customer review

Much better than the last time I visited. Three times as big and four more bathroom stalls. Although the bathrooms are now new there are still huge lines for them and they are still constantly covered in water. Only one food option and of course there is a long line. Limited internet access I couldn't connect at all. No real shopping options or TV's extra. Take everything you need with you and consider taking a proper stopover if you transit time is a long one. The city is lovely and worth a visit.

Bandar Seri Begawan Airport customer review

Freezing cold a/c running too cold. Currently wearing 5 layers and an airline blanket but got frozen nose. Need some better food options (to warm me up!) oh and all the withheld weapons from security were available on a help yourself basis at (unstaffed) security before you board your flight.

Bandar Seri Begawan Airport customer review

Nothing more than a shed in Jan 2015 still undergoing renovations. No duty free to speak of (a small perfume counter and some t-shirts and destination trinkets) - definitely no cigarettes but then no smoking room either!! Coffee shop is tiny and despite other information here on this website there was no "free wireless" at the coffee shop and thus there is no Internet connection at the airport at all. Do all you can to minimise your transit here better still don't stop here.

Bandar Seri Begawan Airport customer review

While this airport is being renovated I wouldn't recommend spending too much time here. The check in area is lovely and spacious but then you travel to an older section to go through immigration and get to the gates. The bathrooms were awful I even contemplated just waiting until we got onto the plane. There is only one cafe which isn't great - expensive and ordinary food cash only. Once the renovations are finished I think this will be a nice airport but for the moment spend as little time here as possible.