Bahrain Airport

"service needs development"

(Saudi Arabia)

Unverified | Bahrain Airport is small and clean. Shopping is very good. Bathrooms are clean. Airport staff service needs development. The airport is crowded and needs to be expanded. Some aircraft stand far from the airport and buses are used to transport passengers from the plane.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"friendly airport staff and customs"

(Bahrain)

Verified Review | Though Bahrain International Airport remains one of the best having ground services, with fastest check-in procedures on departure including friendly airport staff and customs (Border police), the recent project of building up a brand new airport for the kingdom of Bahrain stood as a great move to align with neighboring gulf countries Airport services, including but not limited to, in-airport facilities, smart access, increased security and smooth experience from ticketing to boarding. I am pretty convinced that the projected Bahrain International Airport (currently in progress on the date of this review-July 2017) will offer enhanced experience to the passengers travelling from and to the Kingdom of Bahrain, and my review on the new Airport would probably be closed to an overall 10/10.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"this airport is a dump"

Verified Review | This airport is a dump, really. Barely anywhere to eat, old looking and tired, cramped. I had the misfortune of going to 'sky bar', something out of the 1970s with sticky tables, plastic leather chairs, dirty windows and unclean toilets, surly staff. Same for so-called restaurant at that level. Is this not supposed to be a rich country? How about investing? If you have a long time to wait, don't spend it here! Wifi does NOT work by the way.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"very pleasant departure experience"

(Saudi Arabia)

Even though the airport is small it's very well laid out and easy to navigate. Check in for business class is a very nice touch with its own check in area away from economy. Staff here in general are polite and accommodating and immigration is also separate making the check in process really quick. Shops are good but staff hassle you too much which is very annoying and put me off wanting to buy or look further. Boarding information is clear and kept updated which is good. Very pleasant departure experience at this airport.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"old part is still hot and cramped"

Verified Review | Much better than it was in the new part with more efficient gates, newer seating and shops/cafes. The old part is still hot and cramped and you have to go through a security check when moving between the two sections even though the passage is continuous - which seems odd.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"seating stiff and uncomfortable"

Bahrain is one of the most impoverished airport that I've had the displeasure of spending a stop-over in. For a tiny island both so wealthy and so well-known you'd think that the airport would be more than just linoleum floors and a few chain fast food stores. The seating in the departure lounge was stiff and uncomfortable, which drove me to the cramped ladies prayer room to have a nap. I wasn't alone in my struggle, as I witnessed a handful of fellow nappers lying underneath the 'Strictly No Sleeping' sign. After a few hours of sleeping haphazardly on my bag, I awoke to try and rectify the remaining hours of my stay. After an unsuccessful attempt to reduce the hours of my stopover and board an earlier flight and an altercation with incredibly rude Gulf Air staff with a lack of empathy, we were left with a measly voucher for the airport's infamous 'Sky Bar'. What we were faced with was a dining experience to be ashamed of. Lukewarm drinks, dirty tables, and bland food served in styrofoam boxes with plastic cutlery. A tip from a fellow diner to another - don't get the roast chicken. In an attempt to leave the hostile conditions of the airport, we discovered that having a British passport is not a pre-requisite to be allowed into the country. After forking over what was an extortionate fee for a few hours of trailing the malls, we returned to the airport to board our flight home. Avoiding the experience would have been more than worth the extra 500GBP to board an earlier flight.
Date VisitDecember 2015

"speed of use"

What the airport lacks in facilities compared to other major airports in the region it more than makes up for in lack of queues, and speed of use. It's a much smaller airport than Dubai or the new Doha airport. I've used it for transit in the past, and everything went smoothly and quickly, I was through security within 10 minutes of disembarking. On a recent business day trip to Bahrain, I was through the airport and out of the front door within 30 minutes of my plane landing. On the way back out, it took 5 minutes from arriving at the front door before I was airside; I'd already printed out my boarding pass and had no check-in luggage, so that obviously speeded things up, but I doubt it would have taken 15 minutes even if I'd had to check in my luggage. Airport immigration staff seem to be more efficient - and speak better English - than many of their counterparts in neighbouring countries. Airside, however, there's little to keep you occupied, duty free and dining options are suitable to the size of the airport, but not extensive. So unlike most airports - where the advice is increasingly to get there as early as possible - at Bahrain you definitely don't want to arrive too early, or you'll find yourself quickly speeding through immigration and security to find yourself with very little to do for several hours, and not particularly comfortable seats to do it in. Though the upstairs Irish pub is surprisingly comfy and worth a visit for a quiet corner to sit in even if you don't drink (and it has a non-smoking section).
Date VisitMarch 2016

"a human-scale airport"

A human-scale airport, no long queues for transit, immigration or security, no long walks to your gate. It certainly lacks the glamor and the glitz of its neighbors but I prefer its simplicity and efficiency. Would not hesitate to use Bahrain Airport again in the future.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"I found it appalling"

(Brazil)

I will disagree with people writing here that this airport is efficient, I found it appalling, staff lost and could not give the right information, they don't tell you that you need to fill in an immigration form before queuing so myself and many travelers were sent back to find a form and then had to return to the line. I saw many connecting passengers struggling to find their gates without any assistance, even elderly passengers. Taxis are very expensive, so if you can use your mobile app to call one, go for it. There are many banks to change money, that was a plus. A few fast food options before security. Will avoid this airport in the future.
Date VisitOctober 2015

Bahrain Airport customer review

(Kuwait)

On Arrival passport control was quick and efficient even for an Eid Holiday. You could get all you needed from the duty free. I collected my car in a short time and I was off. Returning two days later for my departure back to Kuwait it was a completely different story. Firstly there is no place to drop of your rental car and you have to drop the car in the overcrowded public parking. I couldn't find a legal parking so I had to call the rental car company to come to the parking lot and take the car. Upon check in there was no queue system for Gulf Air and people jumped in front of me all the time. The people on the counter allowed this practice and made for a very unpleasant check in experience. Passport control was quick and efficient as it was the case on the way in. After passport control the airport is very basic and did not offer much for a traveler who needed to spend 3 hours at the airport. I ventured into the Irish pub which was terrible. I checked into the Marhaba lounge afterwards and the services where basic with very bad wifi.
Date VisitJuly 2015