Vote Now

Atlanta Hartsfield Airport

"crammed into endless lines"

Verified Review | Never have I seen such a shambolic process and never anywhere in the world have I met such surly and rude officials. Hundreds and hundreds of passengers crammed into endless lines moving at a snails pace. Most of these people had connections and from the fuming and disgruntled comments from just about everyone, it was clear virtually all missed their connections. With hundreds of tired passengers queueing patiently and growing increasingly anxious as it dawned on them that despite having stopover times of over 3 hours they were not going to make their connections. Just imagine that. In that short time period one Sunday afternoon literally hundreds and hundreds of passengers had their travel plans ruined. What was truly astonishing was the fact that the truly miserable and obnoxious officials seemed to somehow relish the chaos they were causing. Throughout most of this time only about 4 booths were operational with most standing unoccupied. In our case, my family had 3 and a half hours between flights but we still missed our onward connection. I personally was led like a criminal to a locked room with several others in order to answer questions regarding something which "showed up" on their computer system. The Officer who spoke at me (at not to) clearly had problems understanding the system and eventually I was told that there was a glitch in the system and was free to go. Needless to say no hint of an apology. Having just retired after 30 years in the Police Force I am a staunch supporter of offialdom and of Police and Customs everywhere but I have to say I was astonished at the attitude of the Officers I met and the general shambolic system at Atlanta. One place in the world I will never ever return to.
Date VisitApril 2017

"signage was awful"

Verified Review | Worst airport for customs and border. Interminable lines - took more than 2 hours to get through and then had no idea where to go for connecting flights. All airport staff had no idea either. Signage was awful and mostly non-existent. I could not count how many people were complaining of missed connections - never again!
Date VisitMarch 2017

"some serious work is needed"

Verified Review | Probably the worst airport experience I have had and I have been to a few dozen airports in my life across Asia, Europe and even Africa. The queue at the border is mind boggling, it appears they want passengers to miss connections. Some serious work is needed, I'll do everything to avoid the spot in the future.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"long and slow lines"

Verified Review | Terrible long and slow lines operated by TSA people. We are USA citizens and were not able to make it from flight Bonair to Atlanta to Omaha for 2 hours. Missed our flight as many other transit passengers, had to pay for night in hotel. TSA people worked extremely slow and seemed to enjoy holding hundreds of people without moving while letting others who arrived later to go ahead. They would call "Older than 70 yrs" to go forward but ot was big group of men in their 40s. TSA people just liked to be bosses. I asked to move us ahead when we had 15 min till next flight and long walk, all I heard was "everybody has flight in 5 minutes". The terminal had no air conditioning, people are sweaty, TSA knew about delays and didnt care to call gates about that. I missed my Sunday job in Omaha and lost $150. Hotel was $99. I am rating this service 1 because of a Delta lady who was nice to rebook our tickets for next day. Otherwise I would rate it 0. We had no chance to try food or anything. It took 1 hour to find hotel. All those promising ads on terminal wall were joke.

"Worst wait times"

Worst wait times as always at Atlanta Hartsfield Airport. It takes more than 1 hour even for the US citizens to clear through immigration. Homeland security head must review the wait times and inconvenience caused to people traveling back from long flights. When it was TSA who was slow at Atlanta airport last year it was in news and immediate corrrections were made. Homeland security should take corrective actions immediately on this.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"well over an hour in the passport line"

Verified Review | After a long day of travel my husband and I were looking forward to arriving at our final destination at 830pm this evening. Instead we spent well over an hour in the passport check line in Atlanta airport and even after proceeding through the self check machines which were entirely a waste. The poor quality and lack of efficiency with the passport check process resulted in us missing our flight. We had to take the latest flight of the day after traveling since before 9am Zurich time. Avoid going to the Atlanta airport if you can.

"100% atrocious"

Verified Review | We've just had our first transit experience at Atlanta and it will assuredly be our last - and that goes for the US as a whole, if Atlanta's inefficient, officious and frequently offensive staff are representative of national practice. Like many other correspondents, we nearly missed our connection, having only allowed 3 whole hours to get through this mess of a 'homeland security system'. Two desultory officials on the 10+ Esta / visa checking desks. Nobody in a hurry, nobody bothered as hoardes of clearly stressed and distressed passengers who'd waited for hours pleaded for help because they were risking missing their flights (many we saw today did). Representative comment from man vaguely minding the queue: 'ain't my problem'. Then downstairs to join another massive queue to go through security screening again (we'd earlier spent 4 hours checking in and being screened in Guatemala). And all the while being barked at by staff standing around chatting (plenty of those available, apparently, after the Esta staff shortage upstairs). Example of one crass command screamed at me (I had the temerity to be pulling my carry-on bag behind me in the queue): 'Bag in front of you - now!' Great welcome to 'the Land of the Free' to be treated like a criminal when you're just trying to change planes - having already submitted to - and paid for - the intrusive Esta check online. It's a shameful, stress-inducing shambles - to be avoided at all costs.

"very easy to navigate"

Verified Review | Very easy to navigate within the airport, very good food options. Going through customs was very easy and I mean super quick. I took me all but 5 mins to go through the kiosk and hand them my form. I have TSA precheck and that was not an option to use as of yet. The line was long but they kept us moving and talking with us.
Date VisitOctober 2016

"leave a good 4 hours in transit"

Arrived at Atlanta to find the queues at immigration so long and hardly any staff on. We had a connecting flight with a 2.5 hour window which we missed. Family of 9 so it was not easy to get another flight to Orlando. A nightmare - this made journey very tiring and would certainly leave a good 4 hours if you are going through this airport in transit.
Date VisitOctober 2016

"2 hours to go thru security"

I can't imagine TSA being worse at Atlanta Hartsfield. Over 2 hours to go thru security to get to connecting flight after international arrival, barely made it. Very slow and no one seemed to have any concerns about making connections. Airlines should not let you book international flights thru here with less than a 3 hour lay over. Last time to go thru Atlanta.
Date VisitNovember 2016