Top 100 Airports

Atlanta Hartsfield Airport

"best arrival and departure experience"

Probably the best arrival and departure experience I've ever had, thanks to the polite, friendly, and efficient staff of Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson Airport. The airport's facilities are many, and travel between the various concourses is made easy via good signage, and a rapid-transit train.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"how inefficient TSA was"

I've done domestic flights twice through this airport and the experience is probably slightly different than my international transit. Customs went well and everything was professional. The real hell was security. TSA took their sweet time and were rude. After putting your bags through security, they have an additional (1) person that opens up your bags and goes through them. This person moves at a glacial pace, and will purposely go slower if you tell him that you have a tight connection. It was very insulting how inefficient TSA was and I don't recommend flying in here internationally with a connection.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"it operates very well"

This review is for Atlanta domestic. Atlanta is my hometown airport. For such a large and busy airport, I find that it operates very well. Unlike LAX or JFK where airlines operate out of several terminals, ATL has one central security checkpoint giving passengers access to all gates (concourses A to F). At LAX or JFK, passengers might need to go out on the sidewalk and walk to another terminal. For example, in Atlanta if you fly in on Delta and are connecting on American, you do not have to leave the terminal or go past another security checkpoint. Just get on the train to change concourses. There are many shops and eateries past security. If you have lots of time, your can go back and forth between the concourses to check out the shops and eateries. My only complaint is that when coming off a flight there are no signs directing passengers to baggage claim.
Date VisitJune 2016

"no one had a clue"

A two week honeymoon of de-stressing and relaxing ruined by the the most stressful airport experience I've ever had. Flying from Cancun to Atlanta, for a connection to London Heathrow, we were told on check-in in Cancan and multiple times on the Aircraft and on arrival in Atlanta that regardless of our destination we would have to claim our luggage from the baggage carousel and re-check it for the connection flight. Our flight from Cancun arrived at 6.30pm, with our connection flight boarding at 7.35pm, so already tight on time. When we got through customs we were pointed by an airport employee to the carousel from which we could collect our luggage. Super. What followed was a twenty minute wait before the carousel even began to move, time was slowly ticking away. A further 10-15 minutes was spent watching most others from our flight collect their bags and move on, but ours were no where to be seen. With 10 minutes to go until boarding the connection flight was to begin, I informed a baggage handler who told us (Myself and my wife) and two other couples catching the same connection flight (who had also not got their bags) to head to the gate, board, and take it up with the airline on arrival in London and they would arrange to have the luggage shipped to us which we reluctantly agreed to do. We then stood in a queue for another 30 minutes to pass through security, a process which I do not understand the necessity for as for those on connection flights we were not leaving the airport. By this point our flight was now well into boarding. At various stages when moving through the queue, myself and some others in the same situation addressed their concerns with airport staff, looking for reassurances that the baggage had been automatically transferred. Put simply, no one had a clue. Cue running through the airport, catching the small train to different departure gates, and more running as our names were called over the Airport tannoy system. Finally we made it, to board an aircraft full of annoyed looking fellow passengers who had been sat on board for some time. What I want to know is, why were we told on multiple occasions (and I'm talking 10-15 times) that regardless of our destination we were to collect our luggage, when in fact the whole time the airport had transferred it automatically? If this was a late decision, why did someone not make the effort to tell us? Why did no one at the airport have the slightest idea? The process of filtering people through to their connections is flawed and over complicated. I was quite honestly sooner fly the opposite way around the world to my destination, that connect through Atlanta again.
Date VisitJune 2016

"immigration lines were short"

Years ago Atlanta had a dubious reputation. Today I have no hesitation in using the USA's biggest and busiest airport. Arriving early evening from the UK the immigration lines were short and the process pleasant thanks to the personable, yet thorough, attitude of the immigration officer. Bags were quickly on the belt and having handed in our customs form we followed directions to the transit drop off where our bags were efficiently checked and sent on their way. No hassle, no unpleasantness. Finding our way to another terminal for our onward flight to Denver was a breeze.

"very poor service"

I came in on a flight from Europe. I quickly moved through Passport control and baggage claim. I came up to the security checkpoint and went to the Priority line thinking that it would move quickly. However I stood in line for 30 mins while the Non-Priority line moved faster. They only had 2 lines open and one scanner. Three planes had come in and they did not open another line or try to speed up the line for Priority customers. I find this very poor service for your customers that fly the most.

"unfriendly, uninterested, rude"

I am an international traveler and have visited hundreds of airports. I live in Atlanta and I need to provide some feedback. The people working at the airport from TSA to the airlines to the food service workers need an attitude adjustment. The most unfriendly, uninterested, rude, and unhappy employees I have seen anywhere. This is not a welcoming place for visitors or residents. They mumble, make no eye contact or in the case of TSA bark at you like drill sergeants. You appear to be an interruption to their social activities or phones when seeking service. Hard to believe that Newark is more pleasant than Atlanta. How exactly does TSA scheduling happen? The flight and passenger volume is known well in advance but there are never enough lanes open, or they are disorganized like it's the first time they have ever screened passengers.
Date VisitMay 2016

"virtually no line for immigration"

Normally I allow at least an hour and a half at this airport for the immigration control, collecting and then handing back in luggage then going through security (although you have just got off of a plane.) This time things have changed, there was virtually no line for immigration, the use of machines to take your fingerprints and photo worked well, only three people in front of us to see the Immigration Officer, no wait at security, total process only took about 30 minutes.

"complete shambles"

Saturday 7th May, complete shambles. 2 hours to get through passport control. Only 3 booths manned for international visitors, the American residents arriving had 4 and then 5 to clear their lines. We were initially told we couldn't use the automated gates, then once the americans had all cleared we could use them, then had to proceed to a slower queue due to the automated machines putting crosses through almost every other persons approval slip. Yet again only 3 people manning booths, with 4 others stood around waiting for the americans to be process when the next flight came in. Why they couldn't move to a booth and speed up the queues is beyond me, and then to add insult to injury everytime an americans approval slip was crossed they they got put to the front of our queue. Needless to say we missed our flight and had to rush through from terminal F to A for the next flight, we managed with 15 mins to spare.

"not good enough"

(Spain)

Atlanta has to be the worse airport in the world for transit. We landed there from Mexico with 1 hour 45 minutes to connect to our Virgin flight to London. Although we had an ESTA we were put in an immigration queue with about 50 other people and just 3 open desks. After standing there for 20 minutes and going nowhere I told the staff organising the queue that we had an ESTA and time was ticking for our connection. She just shrugged and said if you miss the flight you will just have to take the next one. Not acceptable, so I found another staff member and asked to go to the front of the queue, she said not without asking everyone individually if that was ok - seriously? I just stood at the top and shouted at everyone - got no objections so tagged on to another queue at the desk. After another 15 minutes he processed us as visitors to the USA taking a photo and finger prints. We then had to run round, find our bags, get through customs, put the bags another carousel and then join another great big queue to go through security. We had walked less than a 100 yards from start to finish so why we had to go through security again is beyond me. We then had to run downstairs for the transit train from Terminal E to Terminal F where a guy from Virgin was waiting at the top of the escalator for us and radioed the gate that we were on the way as 5 more minutes and we would have been offloaded. Talk about a stressful and totally unnecessary performance just to transit through an airport. Really not good enough for this day and age - bad organisation, rude and useless staff. I've never had to deal with such a badly organised flight connection.
Date VisitApril 2016