Atlanta Hartsfield Airport

"Unacceptable passport control waiting times"

Verified Review | Unacceptable passport control waiting times. While I totally appreciate extra security protocols across the US airports, the level of inefficiency and lack of customer service is what I find totally unacceptable. This is for an airport that is the number 1 for passenger volume. I just came back from an international flight, and waited for 2 hours in line to go thru passport control. There were 4 officers reviewing passports for thousands of passengers, and more arriving as I stood in line.

"a chaotic mess"

Verified Review | Atlanta airport is a chaotic mess. Security lines are long and between TSA precheck, clear and general you will have a hard time finding where you need to go through. The scanning area is a joke. Food overpriced with long lines. Trains packed to overflowing. Biggest mess. Staff has no clue when you ask for help.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"The officers were nothing but rude"

Unverified | Awful experience at CBP. After my husband was randomly selected for further screening, we where sent into a line for non US citizens that went on for as far as you could see. The booth for this line had one beyond slow attendant. He spent an average of five minutes plus for one person. The line for US citizens had 4 officers that simply glanced at the passport and literally moved hundreds of people through as our line got longer and longer. We along with a few other US citizens got moved up in line by an employee. When he told us to go to the officer, we along with the employee where yelled at by an another CBP officer to never come up to the booth until called by the officer in the most rude manner, embarrassing the employee and us. The officers were nothing but rude and could not have cared less about the massive amount of people in line, most of which where missing their flights because of a multiple hour process. I do not understand why there was only one officer for what had to be hundreds of people and why they had to be so rude and nasty to everyone. I am all for security, but this was the most inept and rude process I have ever encountered. Atlanta CBP needs much better staffing and officers who are not so rude, angry, and slow.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"This was such a colossal mess"

The new international terminal is a joke. There's no overnight parking at the international terminal, the only way is to park at one of the other lots and take a shuttle. On our recent flight(s) we had to park at the domestic terminal, go through security there and board our flight. We talked to 3 or 4 airport employees that were unable to help. On our return flight we came out in the international terminal, on the other side of the airport from where we had to park. There was no signage indicating where to park, the international terminal isn't even on the map of the airport on Hartsfield's website. They built it in 2012, five years is enough time to update your website. That said, if you're flying internationally, you need to add an additional hour to your arrival time to park, find a shuttle, wait in line, get on the shuttle and to the airport. This was such a colossal mess I'd drive to Birmingham or Columbia just to take the airport there and not have to deal with Hartsfield.
Date VisitJune 2017

"will avoid Atlanta Airport at all costs"

Verified Review | From security to TSA to a "customer service rep" at the gates, every single encounter was rude. No one was willing to help. I arrived at my gate early. I saw a long line of people trying to board a flight that was leaving only thirty minutes before mine was to board. I couldn't get anyone to tell me if my gate had changed. No one would help because I wasn't on the flight they were handling. No one at another gate, no one at the gate I was at. They ended up changing the gates like I suspected. Security had attitude, TSA had attitude and the lady at American Airlines gate was the worst! I will avoid Atlanta Airport at all costs from this day forward.
Date VisitMay 2017

"herded through line after line"

This was my second time going through customs at Atlanta. We have vowed that our next trip will go through another airport. Never have we experienced such a bad TSA and customs experience as in Atlanta. We were herded through line after line. With employees yelling at us what to do. No smiles, no other talking. Move forward, passport opened to picture page, constant yelling. Then you get to the check points, they have plenty just no one manning them! All the people and only 2 check points. They definitely need to hire more. The worst experience! Warm, tired and treated like herded cattle. Next trip, definitely not through Atlanta.
Date VisitMay 2017

"never seen such a chaotic airport"

Horrendous. Worst airport we have ever encountered. Arrived in from the DR to transit through to Paris and we missed our flight due to the huge immigration and security queues. Nobody cared when we told them we needed to be expedited as we were going to miss an international flight. Never seen such a chaotic airport as we travel a lot. We will never transit through here again. We had 3 hours and that wasn't even enough to pass security and immigration.
Date VisitMay 2017

"unpleasant, unsmiling, shouting instructions"

This is the first time I have felt motivated to write a review about an airport, with the hope that some Airport officials might read it. I have to say I agree with others (arriving from overseas) that the lines are very long and the staff, while seemingly doing their job, come across as unpleasant, unsmiling, shouting their instructions. Like others, we had a two hour window and of course we missed our connecting flight. In our case, we were coming from Madrid, and transferring to Memphis, where we live. Personally, I don't understand the purpose of having to collect one's baggage, and then re-check it. I don't believe that European airports make you do this. If this step could be eliminated, in other words if I could check my baggage in Madrid and not have to see it again until Memphis, the whole process would be a lot speedier, I understand this may not be possible with smaller airports where there is no customs and border patrol, but many airport (including Memphis) are so-called "international" airports and ought to be able to do this.
Date VisitApril 2017

"crammed into endless lines"

Verified Review | Never have I seen such a shambolic process and never anywhere in the world have I met such surly and rude officials. Hundreds and hundreds of passengers crammed into endless lines moving at a snails pace. Most of these people had connections and from the fuming and disgruntled comments from just about everyone, it was clear virtually all missed their connections. With hundreds of tired passengers queueing patiently and growing increasingly anxious as it dawned on them that despite having stopover times of over 3 hours they were not going to make their connections. Just imagine that. In that short time period one Sunday afternoon literally hundreds and hundreds of passengers had their travel plans ruined. What was truly astonishing was the fact that the truly miserable and obnoxious officials seemed to somehow relish the chaos they were causing. Throughout most of this time only about 4 booths were operational with most standing unoccupied. In our case, my family had 3 and a half hours between flights but we still missed our onward connection. I personally was led like a criminal to a locked room with several others in order to answer questions regarding something which "showed up" on their computer system. The Officer who spoke at me (at not to) clearly had problems understanding the system and eventually I was told that there was a glitch in the system and was free to go. Needless to say no hint of an apology. Having just retired after 30 years in the Police Force I am a staunch supporter of offialdom and of Police and Customs everywhere but I have to say I was astonished at the attitude of the Officers I met and the general shambolic system at Atlanta. One place in the world I will never ever return to.
Date VisitApril 2017

"signage was awful"

Verified Review | Worst airport for customs and border. Interminable lines - took more than 2 hours to get through and then had no idea where to go for connecting flights. All airport staff had no idea either. Signage was awful and mostly non-existent. I could not count how many people were complaining of missed connections - never again!
Date VisitMarch 2017