Atlanta Hartsfield Airport

Review by (United Kingdom) 22nd June 2015

Arrival at the International terminal at 8pm on the British Airways flight from London. As we previously had visited the USA, had a valid ESTA and a machine readable passport we were able to use the passport machines. Quite straightforward and my wife and I were able to get clearance in the same transaction. A little tricky getting our finger prints in the correct position on the scanner. The machines printed out a form which we handed to the immigration agent. A few brief questions and a passport stamp and we were through. This was much the quicker route than traditional queuing. Bags arrived promptly and 30 minutes after getting off the plane we were standing at the taxi rank. Some airport hotels don't send their shuttles to the international terminal so we took a taxi to the Hampton Inn College Park. About $15 and well worth it. The alternative would be to take a shuttle to the domestic terminal and then wait for a hotel shuttle. A most pleasant arrival, we were having our first beer in a restaurant 60 minutes after arrival. Departure - Dropped off our car at the central rental centre. A shuttle bus took us to the international terminal. The bus arrived after 5 minutes waiting - but it was small and some people were left behind. We arrived at the terminal 3 hours before our flight at about 7pm and no queues at the BA check in desk and security was very quick. Didn't do any shopping and went upstairs to the food court. I cant say I was impressed. An expensive restaurant and 4-5 fast food outlets. Similar to a shopping mall but twice the price. My recommendation is to eat before you get to the airport if you want a good meal at reasonable prices. Fortunately, we were able to use the Club lounge. Boarding a little bit chaotic as a full flight and a lot of carry on luggage, that the gate agents put many bags in the hold. Overall, a smooth departure.
Date Visit22-05-2015

Review by (United States) 7th June 2015

Airports by nature are places where people are passing through for the first time. Very clear signage is the only there for critical for a decent airport experience. Atlanta was a huge fail in this regard.
Queuing Times N/A

Review by (United Kingdom) 26th April 2015

Contrary to some reports here and given Atlanta is the world's busiest airport I found the experience very good. Deplaning from another excellent Virgin Atlantic flight at an early 2pm arrival I was through immigration collecting my bag through customs and transferring my bag to the connecting transfer belt within 30 minutes. Maybe I was lucky? The only queue was security through to domestic flights but then the airport train was quick and excellent. Very good signing if you open your eyes. I arrived at concourse B within 45 minutes from touching down.

Review by (United Kingdom) 1st April 2015

Nightmare airport where the poor reputation is well deserved. Arrived from UK tired but happy after a fantastic Virgin Premium experience ruined by staff shouting but impatient if one asked for an explanation as to what to do. Pointless system of checking in electronically to have a big black cross because apparently I had been to America 5 years ago. I then queued for over an hour to be asked why had I not been back in 5 years. So I had been told by Virgin that luggage would be checked through it was not - I had to queue at electronic service then queue for immigration then queue at customs then queue to get bags through security again. Had to stand in a booth with hands raised above my head and then could go through - the shocker was how far the gates were apart. Make sure you take the train - I am pretty fit but after walking 20 mins had only done gate E and I needed A. I was hungry and tired and with a 2 hour layover had to go straight to boarding - not even a drink of water Deltas boarding was confusing and still don't know how it worked - so on my flight and no food at all as it was only 2 hours - they served a drink and a bag of pretzels the size of a teabag! Lessons learned - high probability of missing your flight - definitely take the train- buy food for flight if you have the time. Hoping my return flight will be better but now concerned.

Review by (Canada) 24th February 2015

Feb 12. Connect through ATL from MSP to FLL. This was the second worst airport I have travelled through only better than Paris CDG. I knew it was a crazy busy airport but it was far busier than I had thought. Very long walks had about an hour and a half. Lot's of walking involved but I don't mind the exercise. The part that made me sour the most was getting lunch. Lot's of food choices but nowhere to sit. Not the airport's fault but went to a Mexican place and they gave me someone else's order. I will try to avoid this airport whenever possible. Too bad it is a Delta hub because Delta is one my preferred airlines. Also there restrooms were hard to find albeit very large in size.
Queuing Times N/A

Review by (United States) 23rd January 2015

Jan 14 2015 reached Atlanta at 5.30 with my family for a connecting flight to Wichita KS. Unfortunately there were immigration lines of nearly 75 people with 3 officers. Staff did not care whether you had a connecting flight. Our next flight was at 7.20 many people had the same problem but no separate lines. We understand the process but unfortunately nothing is organised and staff had no concern. Got done with the line at 6.50. Running through baggage claim and security check it was 7.10. Took the train and reached the gate at 7.18 where gates were closed and we missed the last flight to Wichita. Our next flight to Wichita was at 9.15 am on 15th sat at b16 the whole time until we went to a1 to board our flight the next morning. No one cares about the inconvenience caused due to man made problems if only everything was more organized and controlled.

Review by (United States) 19th January 2015

January 10 2015 Came in from St Lucia. Took us 2.5 hours to clear customs. Everyone missed their flights. I've never seen such chaos!

Review by (Ireland) 19th January 2015

Flying from Dublin to San Francisco and back with Delta changed flights in Atlanta. First time in Atlanta. Was a very pleasant experience. As we had cleared immigration in Dublin was able to go straight from international terminal to domestic. Airport is well laid out really easy to find your way. Was able to walk around all the terminals which was great. When transferring at Newark O'Hare or Dulles in the past was restricted to a tiny area of the airport which quickly got very boring. So being able to walk around in Atlanta was great. Facilities in the airport were good and there was a good selection of shops cafes and bars. And the wifi worked very well. Overall a very good experience which matched my experience of Delta. Delta my new favourite American airline and Atlanta new favourite American airport.

Review by (Netherlands) 31st December 2014

Arrived from AMS after an 10 our flight on Dec 18th 17.30 and passing Immigration's took us and many co- travellers over 50 minutes. The new machines for self check-in accepted my applications and printed out the form but for both with an X. So we had to stand in line again and as there were only 2 officers for more than 100 people waiting this is a very poor service for international travelers spending their money in the USA. We missed our connecting plane to Fort Lauderdale and only the good Delta customer service made it possible that we got to our destination same day.
Terminal Cleanliness N/A

Review by (United States) 4th December 2014

Arrived at Terminal A on a domestic flight departed from Terminal F on international flight. No problems finding and catching the shuttle train between terminals. Terminal F seems nice but I didn't see much of it other than the Delta Sky Club and the nearby boarding gate. All in all a comfortable experience.