Atlanta Hartsfield Airport

"missed our connecting flights"

Not Verified | Horrendous! Spent over 2 hours getting through immigration and missed our connecting flights as did so many others. When asked for help all we got told was if you miss your flight you just have to catch the next one or be put up in a hotel until the next day. The problem is if your flight landed on time then the airline does not have to put you up in a hotel which then leaves you out of pocket because immigration can’t get their act together and are on some kind of power high. There was only one to two immigration officers and a dozen other airport employees waltzing around being very unhelpful and quite frankly rude to everyone. Worst airport I have ever been through.

"A complete disaster"

Not Verified | We traveled to Mexico. Coming back in to Customs was a nightmare. The employees were contradicting each other. The left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing. There were signs about downloading the Global Passport APP which was supposed to help only to get to the counter and find it didn't. It's very sad when Mexico's airport has it together better than the busiest Airport in the USA. Not enough Customs Agents and the Staff had no clue or were standing around talking to each other or running around trying to figure out what to do. A complete disaster.
Date VisitMay 2018

"line system needs a lot of help"

Not Verified | The worst customs I have ever seen in the world. It takes at least 1 hour every time. The staff and are not well informed. The line system needs a lot of help. I just can believe an airport can run this way. I have to give the airport as a whole a bad review because of customs. International arrivals needs help.

"an absolute nightmare"

Not Verified | Our flight from Providenciales landed a bit earlier than scheduled in ATL, landing around 5:15. Our next flight to Indianapolis was scheduled to depart at 7:24 pm. Getting through Customs and security was an absolute nightmare. After clearing customs and security, we had to move quickly and arrived at our gate for the next flight as they were boarding Zone 2. We had nothing to declare, there weren't any issues with us, the problem is the lack of adequate working staff for the volume of people attempting to clear customs. Everyone around us was frantic about potentially missing their connections and there is no recourse because as were told by the airport employees "everyone here has a connecting flight". We have no intention of ever taking another international flight that requires us to go through customs in Atlanta. We have cleared customs in O'Hare, Dallas, Miami, and New York, and Atlanta is by far the most unorganized, poorly staffed and chaotic we have encountered and will be avoided in the future unless you have four to five hours between connections.

"unpleasant and rude"

Not Verified | I am highly disappointed with the way the security line was set up this morning. It was chaos, and no one was willing to help the several people who were standing in line and missing their flights. Not to mention, every employee I interacted with at the airport was very unpleasant and rude. I had to spend over $200 to book another flight since I missed mine. I’m sure this happens often, but I’m very displeased with the treatment by the employees and the way security was run. For a busy airport, they have poor organization. Im going to make my best efforts to never fly out of this airport ever again.
Date VisitMay 2018

"passport control was over crowded"

Trip Verified | I like this airport overall but passport control was over crowded and not enough agents working. The lines were excessive. Out of many other airports I have been to over the years this was one of the worst for lines and the time it took to get the customs. I will be sure to to book my next international flight thu a different airport.

"a complete disaster"

They ruined the #1 Metric. Up to several months ago, security was amazingly efficient. Ever since they installed the over engineered tray management system. It's a complete disaster. The staff is working extra hard to try and compensate for the system's shortcomings but there no avoiding the fact that adding several layers of complexities turned a once efficient system into an obscene display of how not to run a security checkpoint.
Date VisitApril 2018

"staff are always extremely rude"

Not Verified | The staff are always extremely rude! I fly every month, sometimes several times per month and it's just absolutely horrible, especially the check-in and security check point. There's no help or any kind of assistance, not to mention staff attitude. It's not a one time experience, I'd not even bother to write but when it's consistent, something has to be done about it. It should be all about customer service.

"agent arrogant, intimidating"

Trip Verified | Leaving Atlanta was fine. The return was not fine. Customs was extremely busy. Seems like there are plenty of employees doing nothing. You have to check in at a kiosk, lucky to find a working one. Then onto a long line for an actual customs agent. My flight alone had 570 people on it with 4 customs agents. As a US Citizen, I found the agent arrogant, intimidating and you could tell he "loved" the "power". I would recommend domestic through ATL but 2nd thoughts on recommending for International.

"Quite horrible experience"

(Norway)

Not Verified | Quite horrible experience trying to move through customs. Here there are literally more employed bystanders/onlookers than there are people actually doing something sensible. Most of those working there are unable to communicate or help people. Together with some other passengers I was approaching the end of the line (maybe 30 other passengers left in front of three counters actually operated, 15-16 counters were not), when we were told to use the self-service kiosks. When this was finished they sent us to the end of another line consisting of 4-500 people, with yet another manual check. They simply don’t have clue on how to manage these processes at Atlanta. I’ll advise them to check out maybe Schiphol to learn something. Don’t ever travel through Atlanta with kids.