Atlanta Hartsfield Airport

"understaffed immigration area"

Trip Verified | The immigration and passport check for US Citizens returning to the US was appalling. We almost missed our flight with 1hr and 42 minutes between flights, all spent in one very poorly organized and understaffed immigration area. We usually fly into JFK on flights from Europe so we are very familiar with the procedure but I have never seen such a poor arrangement as the one in Atlanta. We were returning from Guadeloupe to Newark via Atlanta on a Saturday evening and joined approximately 800 others arriving from So. America and the Caribbean who were 90% returning American citizens. We were funneled into a huge room full of crazy 8 lines and zig zags of lined up people being directed by airport attendants who tried to be helpful but it was pretty hard to help with directions. And there were only about 8 of them and maybe 10 immigration officers. There would have been triple that number at JFK. The airport personnel tried to help expedite the kiosks (which don't generally help because no one really gets what you're supposed to do - the cards were easier!) in our case these people were quite helpful, but you had to wait in line for every step. It took us a full 1hr 30 min. to get through that, many of us figuring we were never going to make our next flights. An airport employee did look up our gate for us. Of course it was at the literal other end of the terminal (from Term F to A). Then we had to get our bags (6 carousels with 4 flights on each one....!) and get them to the next point where the baggage handlers were actually very efficient and pleasant despite the total chaos. They seemed used to it. Then security again which because of the throngs of people (we had already been through it anyway), they just sort of let us pass by except for a few poor souls who had to have their things inspected. They need many more immigration officers working at that airport and it would have been very embarrassing to witness that scene with foreign nationals trying to navigate it. Not a very nice "Welcome to America".
Date VisitMay 2018

"such a disappointing experience"

Trip Verified | After returning from a trip in Central America, my family and I had to go through customs. This was not our first time having to go through customs. As we arrived at customs, the line was huge. We were sent down a hallway, where we waited in a line that zig zagged forever. Once we reached the area where we would choose which section to go (U.S. citizens, foreign visitors, mobile passport), we went into the mobile passport line. After waiting in the line for about fifteen minutes we realized we were waiting in the wrong line. That line was for foreign visitors. So we went back and asked again and she told us we were in the wrong line. We finally were in the right line after waiting already about two hours in line for customs so far. All of our flights were departing soon so we needed to get through customs and security quickly. As we approached the stand for mobile passport, the woman who was working rudely asked us if we were a family living in the same household. We replied no, and then took one family at a time. She was the most unpleasant agent I have ever encountered. She was miserable. She was not respectful at all! I understand that she deals with a lot of people during the day but that is no reason for her to be miserable and rude to people entering the country. It is so embarrassing to think about people coming to the United States for the first time. The first they encounter is horribly long lines for customs and then rude employees. At the point in customs I was so embarrassed to be an American. I have traveled through the Atlanta airport many times and every time it is more and more disappointing. Such a disappointing experience. I will now avoid traveling through the Atlanta airport. We all almost missed our flights. After customs the security was so disorganized. The employees didn’t seem to know anything or know what the heck they were supposed to be doing. Horrible experience in the Atlanta airport.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"generally find little to complain about"

Trip Verified | I travel through Atlanta Airport several times a year, and generally find little to complain about considering the size of it together with the vast amount of travelers that travel through it. I also realize that my complaint is not necessarily due to the airport authorities but rather to Border & Customs Control. With the recent additions of passport kiosks where the traveler enters their passport and customs declaration, I thought that would speed up the process of entering the country from abroad, but this is not the case. We still have to present our credentials to be inspected by a decreasing number of officers. This has increased the entry time drastically. As a US citizen, having to wait for 2-1/2 hours in line to be seen by an Immigration officer is beyond belief.
Date VisitJune 2018

"2 hours from car to gate"

Trip Verified | For one of the busiest airports in the country, the South Terminal has the absolute least efficient checkpoint. First, there is only a single checkpoint for 8 terminals. Second, the lines for SWA Flyby and other priority board are barely marked or nonexistent. Then the security scan allows people from behind you in line to move past you and push their bags through such that there is an inevitable backlog wherein the people who have already put their belongings in bins are waiting to push those bins through and people who have already gone through body scan are waiting for their luggage, instead of making any attempt whatsoever to keep luggage with owners during the process. Only the trains run with any respectable efficiency to reduce the trek from rental car drop-off to gate to a mere mile. Nearly 2 hours from car to gate is unacceptable for such a central airport. I will avoid flying through here at all costs in the future. Also, unable to get on the wi-fi.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"horrendous queues to passport check"

Not Verified | 2h20m from leaving aircraft to getting to next gate. Horrendous queues to get to passport check and why they bother paying staff to simply look at the queues and do nothing except "reassure" passengers the airline will have to rebook you if you miss your flight is beyond me.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"cars everywhere backing up"

Trip Verified | I parked my car at the airport and picked it up when I flew back to Atlanta. I drove to the gate to pay for the ticket and my ticket was rejected. I went to another line and the same thing happen. There were cars everywhere backing up and switching lines. 30 minutes have passed and I’m still sitting behind 3 other cars in another line. Finally a cashier was able to manually scan my ticket. The problem was that all of these cars could not leave the airport until the problem was fix. That was not my fault that something was wrong with the machines that scanned the tickets.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"completely appalled by TSA"

Not Verified | Every time I fly out of Atlanta I am completely appalled by TSA. They are by far the most unpleasant and rude TSA staff of any airport I fly out of. Their bin system when you are about to send your luggage through at security is confusing and frankly stupid. The TSA employees don’t communicate professionally in any way. They don’t make eye contact and answer questions rudely like an insubordinate child would. Why are people with such poor communication skills being hired? They are also many people that simply stand around with no apparent responsibilities. I don’t see these problems with anywhere near the severity and frequency at other large airports. This is a problem with hiring, training and evaluation of TSA staff.

"disgusting TSA precheck"

Not Verified | This was the worst, rudest, and disgusting TSA precheck experience ever and TSA needs to be held accountable. I don’t mind that the line was long but the TSA employees were unhelpful and extremely disrespectful with the bin process which caused inefficiencies which resulted in such a long wait. This happened to me and a number of travelers, who then had to wait even longer for their bags to be searched and rescanned by only one person! I lived in ATL, but I’m disgusted! They need to train their personnel to communicate this process properly with manners or hire more personnel to account for the inefficiencies that they will continue to face.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"extremely unprofessional and uncalled for"

Not Verified | I was waiting for my bag to come through and the TSA lady was extremely rude to me for no reason. She rolled her eyes twice at me for simply answering her questions she asked me and was condescending. It was extremely unprofessional and uncalled for.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"consistently very rude and condescending"

Not Verified | Typically I don't write reviews for poor service because I believe that most people don't write them for good service either. However, the customer service at Atlanta-Hartsfield airport has been consistently very rude and condescending. It's become so common place that I don't even want to choose Delta anymore to avoid going through Atlanta. Almost every employee has an attitude and you can tell they think it's funny to be rude. I went to the food court to get a slice of pizza and am greeted with, "what u want?". When I politely said, "I'm sorry", the employee repeated herself. I proceeded to be nice and smiled throughout my experience only to be met with mumbling, no eye contact and laughter among the employees. It's not just the food service employees. I witnessed an older gentleman who was an airport employee ask another young employee for help with an elderly passenger. The young employee responded with some verbal disgust and then she proceeded to roughly handle the elderly passenger in a wheelchair. I really think the airport should focus on customer service relations and training. Every experience I've had there has involved a minimum of one, and usually more than one rude employees. Please be advised that I'm not talking about any TSA employee. They have a tough job and aren't part of this conversation. I would have airport management take off their uniform and interact with the airport employees. It won't take them long to see what myself and many others are telling them. Quite frankly, I'm extremely embarrassed the customer service at Atlanta-Hartsfield is what many foreign travelers base their opinion of Americans and our hospitality on.