Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

Amsterdam Schiphol Airport customer review

Arrived at Schiphol 4 days ago for a 2 month holiday in The Netherlands. One passport check as I left the plane and easily found my way to the luggage area then to the customs gate with virtually no waiting time. Only showed my passport to the official and was asked reason duration and location of my stay in perfect English. Only moments later I was at the exit of the airport wondering how it'd been so easy after the nightmare 4 hour stop at Guangzhou airport.

(Indonesia)

Its a good and spacious airport it also has a large variety of shops & restaurants. The airport itself is very clean and the washroom is also very clean and there is almost no queuing at immigration.

(Malaysia)

I was on transit to BUD. KLM transfer desk staff efficient and helpful. The airport receives so many international arrivals in the early morning. To my surprise the immigration counters were understaffed. I was travelling alone and travelling light. However I was in the queue for about 45 minutes. Pity to those families travelling with small children. Obviously queuing after coming from a long haul flight is not a pleasant experience for them.

Amsterdam Schiphol Airport customer review

Airport is too big. The walking distances could be very long and it will take some time. In general the people working on the airport are friendly but not very helpful. The security people seems not really motivated.

Amsterdam Schiphol Airport customer review

My wife and I flew KLM from Schiphol to JFK last week - the worst and most offensive security arrangement we have seen. The security check is done by a team at each of the gates prior to boarding. When the start of the security check was announced we stood in a long line and had no opportunity to prepare ourselves by emptying pockets removing jackets taking out computers etc. People standing in line finally came to the single checkpoint where a woman barked out orders like a drill sergeant to move on through quickly. The people operating the full body scanner were competent and professional. Once we had passed through security we assumed that boarding the airplane was to begin shortly. Instead we were kept for 2 hours. in an overcrowded holding pen that seemed to have been designed for cattle. The holding pen had no toilets and a single machine for selling water. I lost 3 euros in it without a bottle coming out and when I asked the KLM agent nearby she replied brusquely (without looking up) that the airline had nothing to do with the machine. A short time later I saw a Dutch gentleman go through the same procedure. I walked over to the counter where he spoke to the same KLM employee. He said that he had lost his money in the machine and asked if he could exchange a 5 euro bill for coins so that he could try again. The agent dismissed him saying "I am not a bank!". He was told a place in the airport where he could report the problem but came back later saying that they could not help him there. I elected not to go with him because I was informed that I would have to go through the entire security routine again and that we would be getting water on the airplane. Later on in the airplane the captain apologized for the long delay explaining that it was due to the fact that the airplane had arrived late from its previous flight. Obviously the security people knew this so it was puzzling why they rushed us through so quickly knowing that we would have to stand in the holding pen for hours before being able to board the airplane.

(Spain)

Its signs are easy to follow many shops and bars/eating places a train station in the arrivals hall many connections and no annoying loss of time because for commuting between terminals. Security is slow (and not always performed by the most intelligent amongst us) taxiing can take some time as does the baggage arrival.

Amsterdam Schiphol Airport customer review

As a Dutchman I'm no longer proud on this airport. It has grown too big. It took us 2 hours from entering the airport terminal until arriving at the designated gate. Because we were flying inside the Schengen area luckily we didn't have to pass passport control.

Amsterdam Schiphol Airport customer review

On entering through the main door you are actually in the bus/train station. It takes a little searching then to find out where to go as most signage here is given over to trains and buses - through here signs are easy to follow. The only thing is the sheer distance to walk but there are moving walkways. Check in and security a breeze (they have the new scanners that 'see through' your clothes) with a good array of food and shopping outlets. Arrived at and flew from the 'economy pier' H the departure lounge of which was a box really a bit too warm with only a dozen or so seats!

(Norway)

Schiphol is probably the worst organized airport I've been to. First impression was when we arrived from Gardermoen/Oslo airport to Amsterdam. The people waiting for the plane back to Oslo from Amsterdam was partly sitting partly lying on the floors in what seemed like a never ending tunnel from the gate to the main area. There were a couple of seats every third mile or so. When we were leaving Amsterdam and Schiphol the airport left an even worse impression as we first had to stand in line forever for security check. There were two lines/security check points to the M-gates so a long queue must be quite normal here. What are they thinking? When we finally managed to go through security check we wanted to buy the necessities from the tax- free shop (we live in Norway prices are much higher than in tax free so this is something we need to take advantage of) then find a restaurant to get some dinner. At the lounge area we were very disappointed. The tax-free shop was about the size of a large kiosk and the only place to get some food was actually a kiosk with sandwiches and a tiny desk that sold coffee and cakes of some sort. We did not quite believe it at first since Schiphol is one of the worlds biggest airports but it was actually true. After finding a couple of sandwiches it was not that easy to find somewhere to sit. The people behind Schiphol apparently think that people like to stand straight up for two hours. Well.. Amsterdam was great but the airport not so great. Bring a chair your own food and try not to come to early to the airport since it's actually nothing to do not even shopping. Which means you do not have to bring money since Schiphol apparently doesn't want your money.

Amsterdam Schiphol Airport customer review

Did quite a few flights with Easyjet I had to depart from either the M (schengen) or H (non- schengen) gates. After 5 flights not once did I have to wait longer for security then 3 minutes. The H-gates offer only a small overpriced place where you can buy drinks before boarding as do the vending machines at the gate area The M-gates offer a small lounge with possibility to buy a few items but don't go in there too early since there is not much to do you better of in Schiphol plaza. H or M gates use preboarding which means you are put into a holding pen but as they only open the gate when the flight is due to arrive you not have to spend ages. Trainstation is below Schiphol it offers easy connections to Amsterdam or other cities.