Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

"bad organisation"

Not Verified | Really not happy with it. My first main concern: flights are always delayed, because of bad organisation. The planes are usually here but nothing happens. That's when they are not cancelled because of one snow flake or 5 rain drops. Long queues for check in and security. The security guys strip us completely. Soon we will pass in underwear. It can take 40 minutes for the luggage to be delivered on the belt! I've seen much bigger airports where it goes smoother.. If in transit be sure you have 3 hours in between!
Date VisitDecember 2017

"unavailability of tugs to push aircraft out"

Not Verified | By now I am used to the endless taxi to and from runways, the extremely slow clumsy jet bridge connection and non working travelators as well as crowded security and immigration at Schiphol but the latest troubling travel delaying aspect is the unavailability of tugs to push aircraft out. On my last 4 flights this was the case resulting in delays, missed slots and other inconvenience. Shopping, food and decor are all great but it seems Schiphol is just unable to get the basics right.

"too big to care"

(Romania)

Not Verified | At 6 am the airport is pretty quiet, yet they manage to have 2 types of restrooms: (a) closed ones; (b) dirty ones. The "renovation" apparently just forgot such "non-essential" facilities as the restrooms. It is unbelievable to enter a restroom and be presented with just 2 cabins - and this was at low traffic. One hour later you have to deal with 15-30 mins lines. Gates are meant for standing or lying on the floor. This airport is way too big to care of any kind of passenger comfort. To avoid at all costs.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"slow working and ignorant security checks"

(Norway)

Not Verified | I find the security check to be unprofessional and very unaccommodating. I clearly informed them that I had a connecting flight. They blocked my line for 10 min and refused to allow me to change lines so I missed my flight and got stuck here for two days. My two friends from the same plane were able to get the next plane so I know I would have made it. The security seemed to not want to help and were very reluctant to let me pass in font of people even with most people agreeing. I know security is important but I have never experienced such slow working and ignorant security checks and I am at times quite a frequent flyer. Due to the snow the airport staff should at least accomodate as much as possible to make the few that could have made it fly. Snow is not a problem and you already have 90 % of the machines to remove it.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"looks good but not usable"

Trip Verified | The changes are horrific, yes looks good but not usable. Standing at gate 2 trying to use the laptop desks and having to stand because the chairs are too close to the tables. Extra time added coming through the security having to walk down stairs and up stairs really terrible. I went to the duty free only to find that the MAC store was upstairs where I had come from after being charged 11 euros for a macdonalds disgraceful. Used the disabled toilet the electronic door would not shut. I will try to avoid Amsterdam in future and only use if essential i.e. not other hub flys where I want to go. Who ever agreed these changes needs to change job.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"has got progressively worse"

Not Verified | I fly from Schiphol frequently for work trips and holidays, it has got progressively worse over the years. It's completely unpredictable how long it will take to check in, go through security, passport control - this week it was one hour in long security line and my bag went through a second check of another 15 mins because of extra coins in my wallet, come on! I no longer enjoy the Schiphol airport experience which is a shame. I think they want people to pay for the priority line services such as Privium, should really look again at planning, processes and customer experience.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"generally an unpleasant experience"

I fly from Schipol weekly and it's generally an unpleasant experience. Even at 9am there were queues to the toilets and as usual the toilets were filthy. Soiled nappies, rubbish and the state of the loo was unspeakable. I've attached a picture of the room but will refrain from attaching a picture of the actual toilet as it could be upsetting to viewers!
Date VisitDecember 2017

"has declined. really awful"

Not Verified | I have used Amsterdam airport three times per year for over twenty years and until recently it was very good. However in the past couple of years it has declined - especially the service from staff. I for the first time needed assistance for connecting flight which was requested at the time of buying my ticket. On arrival in Amsterdam I had to walk a distance and no wheelchair arrived until several minutes standing waiting. I was then plonked in a chair pushed roughly to a wait station and dumped. After half an hour of waiting with no staff about and time running low to connect to my flight I had to walk painfully and only got to my flight before it left because it was delayed. Really awful. I will in future use Frankfurt or Munich as they are more polite and efficient there.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"this airport is the absolute worst"

Not Verified | Terrible, terrible, terrible. I have plenty of experience with airports, but this airport is the absolute worst. Ground staff behavior is rude, aggressive and ineffective. Queues for check-in, passport control and security are getting longer and longer, but nothing is actively being done to speed things up. The last three times we arrived at this airport with 2.5 hours to spare and each time we almost missed our flight because of poor decisions to combine multiple flights at single check-in desks, complete incompetence on the part of the staff members or dysfunctional check-in machines. There is total chaos in the passport control queues, no discernible lines, just angry staff members and a sea of intensely stressed travelers. I think next time we travel we will need to be there at least 3-4 hours before our departure time, as we fully anticipate more of the same rubbish.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"it was just constant queues"

Verified Review | Arriving into Amsterdam Schipol was straight forward, we only had hand luggage so got straight through and to the train station then travelling onto The Hague. However coming home, not so fun, we caught an early tram and train to get thre as we thought we could have a nice bite to eat as its a big airport, maybe a bit of shopping. We arrived at 11am, flying at 13.40. We never got the shopping or a nice bite to eat more a rushed McDonalds, it was after 12.30 before we made it through security and passport control, what an absolute joke, it was just constant queues. I was with my 81 year old gran, my legs were getting tired in the queue, my gran was struggling and it was very warm. We got through and found our gate with about 10 mins to grab a bite, if we had not arrived early I doubt we would have made out flight. I've done Amsterdam airport a few times, but never seen it as bad as this, I know its big and caters for a lot of international flights, but that should have been controlled better. I've been delayed in this airport before for hours, and I thought it was the best thing ever as there was so much to do and see, also great smoking booths.
Date VisitNovember 2017