Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

"needs to step up"

Trip Verified | The time waiting for luggage was well over 40 minutes on a Saturday morning 11.00. This is way too long, as a result missed my connection (train). Schiphol really needs to improve here. On the way out, a small hall way where customs people disrupt passengers going to the exit. Business travelers want fast travelling, we don’t need to make it a day out! Travelling by plane has become a big hassle. Schiphol needs to step up here. Dusseldorf airport is a good alternative.
Date VisitApril 2018

"a pleasure to travel through"

Trip Verified | I had no problems with both my arrival and departure from Schiphol airport. The airport is clean, well run and is a pleasure to travel through. OK the automated passport gates are annoying but they seem to be the norm in most airports nowadays. The range of shops and restaurants is impressive and the proximity to the rail network is great and so easy to reach other parts of the Netherlands so easily.

"no staff to help you"

Trip Verified | I am disabled and I fly with KLM in Europe as I need to break up my journeys and they fly from Bristol. I use the assisted service which is one of the best but this time I have a few issues. Usually with a long delay between flights they send you to a lounge. In the past it’s been a nice area with a tv, a toilet close by, quiet away from other passengers, a water supply, near a small cafe with support staff who would get you a coffee (you gave them the money) and a selection of comfortable seats. This time I was taken to what was just a section of normal airport seats, no tv, no water, no staff to help you and a busy toilet area a longer from the area given you have to take all your luggage with no help. Worse still it’s adjacent to other passenger seating which is closer to the toilet and next to the seating area of a cafe. It was like sitting in a fish bowl and I was the entertainment. I walk with a new brace and a drop foot which people enjoyed watching me struggle to go over my o the toilet with my cabin suitcase, purchases, crossbody bag and my puffa jacket as it was hot in the terminal. No one offered to help me I slipped over and no one helped me up but they thought it was funny. I then queued for the toilet then had to battle my way out past a queue then went back to my uncomfortable seat to find Couple sitting there who had come from the overfill from the cafe.
Date VisitApril 2018

"complete chaos and neglect"

(Ukraine)

Trip Verified | There was complete chaos and callous neglect at passport control. With US passports and two kids this should not have been such an ordeal. We fly frequently and I will make an effort to avoid this airport in the future. There has been no effort to streamline the process.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"lost my phone due to the staff's incompetence"

Trip Verified | There was massive disruptions due to the weather so I decided to go to the KLM 52 business lounge. When I was leaving my phone must have slipped out of my pocket but I did not realise this till I was on my flight preparing to leave. When I arrived my partner called to let me know my phone had been found in the airport and it will be kept till I went back through the airport. But after contacting many departments within the Schipol airport it turns out that my phone has been lost in the Lost & Found department, oh how ironic. I tried to claim compensation for the losing my phone but no help was offered. OK I left my phone but I had a call from the lounge staff so I know it was found and it was only really lost when the Lost & Found department had it and they are only reliant on computer entries and will not do a physical search. So, I have lost my phone due to the staff's level of incompetence in that they did not fully and accurately follow their own Lost & Found protocols. Travellers should be aware if items are handed to Lost & found that does not necessarily mean you will get it back.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"there was nobody there to help"

Trip Verified | My flight was late in leaving Edinburgh which lead to a shortened transit time so I asked the staff on the KLM flight if they can arrange assistance as I am a disabled person with mobility problems and I can only walk slowly. No problem they said, when they came back and said somebody will be waiting to assist me when I disembark. Fine I thought but oh no it was not for there was nobody there to help. So as to ensure I got my next flight I started to walk. What is advertised as a five minute walk took me nearly twenty five minutes and I got there with a few minutes to spare but my legs and feet were really painful which lasted a few days.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"rude, arrogant and impatient"

Not Verified | Amsterdam airport is a beautiful modern airport, very clean and with excellent facilities. We transferred flights from South Africa after travelling all night. My husband had been taken ill on the plane and both of us were feeling shell shocked after very little sleep. The security guard who checked us through was rude, arrogant and impatient. Whilst security is of the utmost importance courtesy and kindness do not impact on the maintenance of safety. There is no need for this type of rudeness and this has really put me off travelling again to what is a truly wonderful modern airport. So to the gentleman working on security lane 4 in transfers at around 11 am on 1st February 2018 get another job where you don't deal with people if this one makes you so unpleasant

"rude and disrespectful"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | I recently was connecting on a flight thru Amsterdam. At the gate I had the rudest security agent. She was rude and disrespectful. When I tried to speak to her she told me to be quiet and not speak unless she asked me a question. When my daughter stated she needed her medication she said - 'Don't worry you will get your drugs'. When I told her not to speak to my child in that manner she proceeded to pull our luggage off the flight and check us and our luggage again. I filed a complaint with airport security and everything that he stated in the response was a lie. Never have my child and I been treated so disrespectfully and then been told that what I said was a lie.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"increasingly the airport to avoid"

Not Verified | Schiphol becomes increasingly the airport to avoid. I have been flying from there for several years now. Long unpleasant security (even with previum card), luggage damaged or lost, flights constantly delayed and cancelled for 'bad weather conditions' (wind in Netherlands the country of windmills for centuries), ages to get the luggage on the carousel. Not recommended for any connection flights. A shame.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"clean and modern terminal"

Trip Verified | After hours facilities are limited. Arriving after 10 pm with over two hours to wait for my next flight the airport was quiet. There were no staff at the transfer desk in case you needed them. I just managed to catch a coffee at McDonald's as the shutters were coming down. Several smoking lounges still open though. Clean and modern terminal. Polite and easy to deal with staff (as the Dutch usually are). On my return I arrived at a more sociable hour so got to use more facilities.
Date VisitDecember 2017