Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

"increasingly the airport to avoid"

Not Verified | Schiphol becomes increasingly the airport to avoid. I have been flying from there for several years now. Long unpleasant security (even with previum card), luggage damaged or lost, flights constantly delayed and cancelled for 'bad weather conditions' (wind in Netherlands the country of windmills for centuries), ages to get the luggage on the carousel. Not recommended for any connection flights. A shame.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"clean and modern terminal"

Trip Verified | After hours facilities are limited. Arriving after 10 pm with over two hours to wait for my next flight the airport was quiet. There were no staff at the transfer desk in case you needed them. I just managed to catch a coffee at McDonald's as the shutters were coming down. Several smoking lounges still open though. Clean and modern terminal. Polite and easy to deal with staff (as the Dutch usually are). On my return I arrived at a more sociable hour so got to use more facilities.

"bad organisation"

Not Verified | Really not happy with it. My first main concern: flights are always delayed, because of bad organisation. The planes are usually here but nothing happens. That's when they are not cancelled because of one snow flake or 5 rain drops. Long queues for check in and security. The security guys strip us completely. Soon we will pass in underwear. It can take 40 minutes for the luggage to be delivered on the belt! I've seen much bigger airports where it goes smoother.. If in transit be sure you have 3 hours in between!
Date VisitDecember 2017

"unavailability of tugs to push aircraft out"

Not Verified | By now I am used to the endless taxi to and from runways, the extremely slow clumsy jet bridge connection and non working travelators as well as crowded security and immigration at Schiphol but the latest troubling travel delaying aspect is the unavailability of tugs to push aircraft out. On my last 4 flights this was the case resulting in delays, missed slots and other inconvenience. Shopping, food and decor are all great but it seems Schiphol is just unable to get the basics right.

"too big to care"

(Romania)

Not Verified | At 6 am the airport is pretty quiet, yet they manage to have 2 types of restrooms: (a) closed ones; (b) dirty ones. The "renovation" apparently just forgot such "non-essential" facilities as the restrooms. It is unbelievable to enter a restroom and be presented with just 2 cabins - and this was at low traffic. One hour later you have to deal with 15-30 mins lines. Gates are meant for standing or lying on the floor. This airport is way too big to care of any kind of passenger comfort. To avoid at all costs.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"slow working and ignorant security checks"

(Norway)

Not Verified | I find the security check to be unprofessional and very unaccommodating. I clearly informed them that I had a connecting flight. They blocked my line for 10 min and refused to allow me to change lines so I missed my flight and got stuck here for two days. My two friends from the same plane were able to get the next plane so I know I would have made it. The security seemed to not want to help and were very reluctant to let me pass in font of people even with most people agreeing. I know security is important but I have never experienced such slow working and ignorant security checks and I am at times quite a frequent flyer. Due to the snow the airport staff should at least accomodate as much as possible to make the few that could have made it fly. Snow is not a problem and you already have 90 % of the machines to remove it.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"looks good but not usable"

Trip Verified | The changes are horrific, yes looks good but not usable. Standing at gate 2 trying to use the laptop desks and having to stand because the chairs are too close to the tables. Extra time added coming through the security having to walk down stairs and up stairs really terrible. I went to the duty free only to find that the MAC store was upstairs where I had come from after being charged 11 euros for a macdonalds disgraceful. Used the disabled toilet the electronic door would not shut. I will try to avoid Amsterdam in future and only use if essential i.e. not other hub flys where I want to go. Who ever agreed these changes needs to change job.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"has got progressively worse"

Not Verified | I fly from Schiphol frequently for work trips and holidays, it has got progressively worse over the years. It's completely unpredictable how long it will take to check in, go through security, passport control - this week it was one hour in long security line and my bag went through a second check of another 15 mins because of extra coins in my wallet, come on! I no longer enjoy the Schiphol airport experience which is a shame. I think they want people to pay for the priority line services such as Privium, should really look again at planning, processes and customer experience.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"generally an unpleasant experience"

I fly from Schipol weekly and it's generally an unpleasant experience. Even at 9am there were queues to the toilets and as usual the toilets were filthy. Soiled nappies, rubbish and the state of the loo was unspeakable. I've attached a picture of the room but will refrain from attaching a picture of the actual toilet as it could be upsetting to viewers!
Date VisitDecember 2017

"has declined. really awful"

Not Verified | I have used Amsterdam airport three times per year for over twenty years and until recently it was very good. However in the past couple of years it has declined - especially the service from staff. I for the first time needed assistance for connecting flight which was requested at the time of buying my ticket. On arrival in Amsterdam I had to walk a distance and no wheelchair arrived until several minutes standing waiting. I was then plonked in a chair pushed roughly to a wait station and dumped. After half an hour of waiting with no staff about and time running low to connect to my flight I had to walk painfully and only got to my flight before it left because it was delayed. Really awful. I will in future use Frankfurt or Munich as they are more polite and efficient there.
Date VisitOctober 2017