top100_2016

Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

"process needs clarification"

Arrived at AMS from Canada on the morning of July 14 and found myself in a queue that took about 50 minutes to get to the head of. I was screened by a passport officer with a curious sense of humour: he started by telling me that my passport was a "forgery", followed quickly by a "just kidding!" He also kidded me about how beat-up my passport looked after several years of use, jokingly asked if I collect stamps, and how many I wanted. Departure to VIE on July 19 was a routine affair, but the security screening process needs clarification: are passengers required, or not required, to hang around for some sort of chaotically managed hand-baggage check after being cleared through the body scan? I stood around for a moment, was completely ignored by a security staffer who went on from talking to the man in front of me to talking to the woman behind me, and thus I walked away with my backpack and a shrug, and not a word of objection from anybody. If people are free to go, it should be made clear.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"all our time was wasted in queues"

(Malaysia)

It was really a horror and a big mistake to board our flight from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport to Kuala Lumpur. Me and my family members arrived 3 hours 15 mins before the flight. We had no chance to eat our breakfast, no chance to sit as all our time was wasted in queues. It took us almost 45 minutes to get the VAT done and immediately proceeded to the check-in hall. The horror started immediately after we went to the check-in hall self check-in baggage. The problems was with the new KLM self check in baggage system. The queue was huge and long backed up all the way to terminal 3 and full of frustrated passengers. It took us more than an hour to drop off our luggage. The second horror started again immediately after we went to the security screening area to join another long queue for the scanners. The third horror started again to join another long queue for the immigration clearance. We were only left 20 minutes before flight took off. There were no proper signs to guide tourists, especilly first timers visiting Holland and KLM should have more ground crew to assist their clients given the massive crowd on that day. The end resulted in many passengers missing their flights.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"passport check was a joke"

Arrived two hours before departure (with e-check in and pre-printed boarding passes). E-check in counter for Singapore Airlines dealt with our baggage in a few minutes, which included re-issuing boarding passes for some obscure reason. Passport check before departure was a joke and took nearly and twenty minutes with absolutely no crowd control. A considerate lady leading a group of young travelers noticed my anguish and arranged for me and my twelve year old daughter to jump in front, so we could run to our departure gate.
Date VisitJune 2016

"crowning glory of this airport is its staff"

Amsterdam Schiphol is busy but well organised, spacious and filled with facilities for travellers. It even has a lovely rest zone on level 1, where one can pedal stationary bikes to relieve the stiff legs, use the provided computers or just sit and relax while listening to recorded bird songs. The crowning glory of this airport is its staff. There are plenty of them around and always happy to provide advice with patience and smile. Presence of helpful staff is the reason why I chose to fly via Amsterdam. In many other European hubs airport staff is hard to find, leaving the travellers stranded without any assistance.
Date VisitJune 2016

"confused with its new layout"

Verified Review | Had not used Amsterdam Schiphol for a while so got really confused with its new layout. Not well signed on entering from the rail station to find the departures entrance, but my main bug bear was the passport control. Never go for the self scan passport machines - go to the ones with a desk. We had only 5 out of around 8 self service machines in action, 3 of which stopped working while we were in the long queue. After taking nearly 20 mins to get through this fiasco we had to walk quickly to our gate so not able visit a duty free shops. If you have to go through Schiphol give yourself an extra hour to do so.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"felt a little unclean in parts"

A little disappointing. Having worked in Amsterdam airport for a number of years, I was looking forward to the 'new' remodelled AMS airport. Revamped and redesigned. It would seem not much had changed, a few more shops and designer outlets, but the overall passenger experience had not changed. Still overpriced in the food outlets, not much to choose from except for fast food or designer salads. Too expensive, felt a little unclean in parts.

"horrible and tiring"

(Austria)

Flew from Vienna via Amsterdam to Guangzhou return. I was traveling alone with my 2 year old son. When I checked in at Vienna Airport and Guangzhou Airport, I was told that I could have my stroller until I reached the gate and then again when I get off the plane. But in fact, the staff at Amsterdam Airport told me, that I only can get my stroller at the last destination with my other baggage. It was very inconvenient without the stroller at AMS. I had to wait for 4 hours for my next flight and carry 2 bags and my son. Waiting in a long line to go through security check. Could not find the playground for children. It was horrible and tiring.
Date VisitJune 2016

"passport control is a disgrace"

Used Amsterdam Schiphol twice this month and the arrival passport control area at 8am in the morning is a disgrace - I really thought this airport was great but now its terrible, I will try to avoid at all costs. No man power to give assistance, the escalator leading down on to a short hold area backed up both times and people shouting up the escalator not to come down as there was no room. The double doors for access kept closing and telling people to use another way. What a poor way to treat people. My departure both times were ok.
Date VisitJune 2016

"self service is great if you have staff to help"

Travelled home from Amsterdam Schiphol to UK on KLM. Arrived at the airport 2.5 hours before flight I scanned my passport for the boarding card at the self-check-in which was fairly straight forward. Moved through to the self service baggage drop off point to see people struggling to understand how the system worked causing majour hold up and no staff helping. For security 2 of us ended up with about 8 trays to put everything through. I put my phone in one tray and the staff sends the tray through. Camera in its own tray, coats, jackets on separate trays by this time I am becoming more stressed that all our belongings had gone down the line but we had not gone through the scanner. The lady in front of us had a young child in a buggy, child had to be removed, buggy folded then through the scanner. The child wanted to be with the mother and was very stressed out so that took about 5 mins before I went through the scanner wondering if any of our belongings would still be at the other end. Then the passport check, stand on the feet marked on the floor put passport in the scanner look at the screen. This had taken an hour from start to finish. Self service is great if you have staff on hand to help customers who are not sure what to do.
Date VisitJune 2016

"well-managed queues, pleasant, helpful staff"

My sympathy goes out to many of my fellow reviewers for their negative experiences at Amsterdam. By contrast, my recent travels through Schipol everything was good - well-managed queues, pleasant and helpful staff, bright and clean surroundings, decent facilities and excellent transport links to Amsterdam. Just one, fairly simple improvement. There were unnecessary delays at arrival passport control which could have been minimised by opening the e-gates much earlier.