Top 100 Airports

Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

"H pier far less pleasant"

I travel from Amsterdam frequently, and normally I find the experience to be relatively pleasant. Despite being a large airport, Schiphol is well signposted, and check in, flight and gate information is up to date and accurate. This trip was an exception to the rule, and I wonder if the reason is the carrier involved (a budget airline), the destination (the UK, and therefore outside of the EU -Schengen agreement countries), or recent worries about security. My major issue with this trip was two-fold. Firstly: I did not know what my gate was until I passed security (only that I should proceed to pier H). Secondly, the manual passport checks after passing bag checks were extremely slow. I was travelling with a 13-year old, and was therefore unable to use the automatic passport check gates, where there were no queues. Border security was taking minutes per passenger, and it seemed like every second passenger was being referred to a supervisor. Despite having an hour to pass checks, I was almost late to the gate. H pier seems to be the location for budget flights, and it shows. The gate waiting areas are basically queue pens with no seating. You pass the boarding pass check first, then queue to get on to the flight. Far less pleasant than the other gate waiting areas in the rest of the airport, and not up to the standard one expects from Schiphol. The return trip was significantly better, thankfully, with no queue at the border control.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"Never again there!"

Half of my luggage was left at Schiphol (AMS) on July 27 prior to a flight to San Francisco. 2 weeks later it still has not arrived, The KLM Central Tracing is a joke - one is lucky to get through at all and a lot of times it says that they are closed during working time, or have too many calls and should call later. This is the second time I deal with issues in this airport. Never again there! The only positive thing was the excellent WiFi.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"should have had a better system"

The airport didn't load our baggage. Apparently the same flight before ours had too many bags and couldn't load them all so they decided to not load 100 bags the day that we were travelling to ensure the bags of the people before us. The airport should have had a better system. The airport could have seen that the prior flight had too many bags and not loaded the bags that were too heavy or too big and then loaded them whenever there was enough space for them without penalizing other passengers from other flights. Horrible experience.

"process needs clarification"

Arrived at AMS from Canada on the morning of July 14 and found myself in a queue that took about 50 minutes to get to the head of. I was screened by a passport officer with a curious sense of humour: he started by telling me that my passport was a "forgery", followed quickly by a "just kidding!" He also kidded me about how beat-up my passport looked after several years of use, jokingly asked if I collect stamps, and how many I wanted. Departure to VIE on July 19 was a routine affair, but the security screening process needs clarification: are passengers required, or not required, to hang around for some sort of chaotically managed hand-baggage check after being cleared through the body scan? I stood around for a moment, was completely ignored by a security staffer who went on from talking to the man in front of me to talking to the woman behind me, and thus I walked away with my backpack and a shrug, and not a word of objection from anybody. If people are free to go, it should be made clear.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"all our time was wasted in queues"

(Malaysia)

It was really a horror and a big mistake to board our flight from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport to Kuala Lumpur. Me and my family members arrived 3 hours 15 mins before the flight. We had no chance to eat our breakfast, no chance to sit as all our time was wasted in queues. It took us almost 45 minutes to get the VAT done and immediately proceeded to the check-in hall. The horror started immediately after we went to the check-in hall self check-in baggage. The problems was with the new KLM self check in baggage system. The queue was huge and long backed up all the way to terminal 3 and full of frustrated passengers. It took us more than an hour to drop off our luggage. The second horror started again immediately after we went to the security screening area to join another long queue for the scanners. The third horror started again to join another long queue for the immigration clearance. We were only left 20 minutes before flight took off. There were no proper signs to guide tourists, especilly first timers visiting Holland and KLM should have more ground crew to assist their clients given the massive crowd on that day. The end resulted in many passengers missing their flights.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"passport check was a joke"

Arrived two hours before departure (with e-check in and pre-printed boarding passes). E-check in counter for Singapore Airlines dealt with our baggage in a few minutes, which included re-issuing boarding passes for some obscure reason. Passport check before departure was a joke and took nearly and twenty minutes with absolutely no crowd control. A considerate lady leading a group of young travelers noticed my anguish and arranged for me and my twelve year old daughter to jump in front, so we could run to our departure gate.
Date VisitJune 2016

"crowning glory of this airport is its staff"

Amsterdam Schiphol is busy but well organised, spacious and filled with facilities for travellers. It even has a lovely rest zone on level 1, where one can pedal stationary bikes to relieve the stiff legs, use the provided computers or just sit and relax while listening to recorded bird songs. The crowning glory of this airport is its staff. There are plenty of them around and always happy to provide advice with patience and smile. Presence of helpful staff is the reason why I chose to fly via Amsterdam. In many other European hubs airport staff is hard to find, leaving the travellers stranded without any assistance.
Date VisitJune 2016

"confused with its new layout"

Verified Review | Had not used Amsterdam Schiphol for a while so got really confused with its new layout. Not well signed on entering from the rail station to find the departures entrance, but my main bug bear was the passport control. Never go for the self scan passport machines - go to the ones with a desk. We had only 5 out of around 8 self service machines in action, 3 of which stopped working while we were in the long queue. After taking nearly 20 mins to get through this fiasco we had to walk quickly to our gate so not able visit a duty free shops. If you have to go through Schiphol give yourself an extra hour to do so.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"felt a little unclean in parts"

A little disappointing. Having worked in Amsterdam airport for a number of years, I was looking forward to the 'new' remodelled AMS airport. Revamped and redesigned. It would seem not much had changed, a few more shops and designer outlets, but the overall passenger experience had not changed. Still overpriced in the food outlets, not much to choose from except for fast food or designer salads. Too expensive, felt a little unclean in parts.

"horrible and tiring"

(Austria)

Flew from Vienna via Amsterdam to Guangzhou return. I was traveling alone with my 2 year old son. When I checked in at Vienna Airport and Guangzhou Airport, I was told that I could have my stroller until I reached the gate and then again when I get off the plane. But in fact, the staff at Amsterdam Airport told me, that I only can get my stroller at the last destination with my other baggage. It was very inconvenient without the stroller at AMS. I had to wait for 4 hours for my next flight and carry 2 bags and my son. Waiting in a long line to go through security check. Could not find the playground for children. It was horrible and tiring.