Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

Review by (United Kingdom) 29th June 2015

Overrated. Having all flights in one terminal is all well and good but it makes for extremely long walks to and from gates. Not at all well thought out. Bad queues in and out at security/passport control. Also, we landed on a remote runway which meant the taxiing to the terminal seemed to take almost as long as the flight itself!
Date Visit29-06-2015

Review by (Canada) 27th June 2015

Schiphol is undergoing a major renovation. Air conditioning isn't working at peak efficiency so it gets toasty on the long march to your gate. Past that and given what is being done everything is working well. Could use more signs for car rental return though.
Date Visit27-06-2015

Review by (United States) 10th May 2015

I was born and raised in Amsterdam. I have lived now in the US for 25 years and have traveled back and forth numerous times and always enjoyed it. Last time though it was under construction and indeed a mess. But I am sure it will be even better when they are done. The common discussion on the reviews is the rudeness of the employees at the airport. If you know the Dutch language you know that they are very direct and when translated directly coming from inexperienced speakers it comes across as rude. Even now after many years living in the US I still catch myself being too direct. I have never experienced any rudeness and the employees are always very friendly or at least polite. Looking forward to a new and even better Schiphol.

Review by (United Kingdom) 10th May 2015

Arrivals was quite good not a problem at all. Departure was where it turns ugly. Only two customs desk opened and airlines crew kept on jumping my queue to go through. I understand they can quickly get in by casually waving their passport/document to the custom officer but this should not be at the expense of the other passengers queuing patiently especially when there were more than twenty of them from different flights getting ahead of you. Departure food and shopping is quite nice and I thought I would overlook the customs issue by getting a good takeaway breakfast and eat at the gate waiting area how wrong! Security checking was at the gate (Terminal H) and there was a sign saying no restaurants beyond that point. So I had to throw away my bottle of orange juice purchased just minutes ago that I haven't even opened. I could have downed my drink before going through security but the queue was building up fast (I am actually among the first to turn up at the terminal area after gate info became available) so I tensed up and left the bottle behind at the mouth of the x-ray machine with the security officers. Immediately afterwards I felt so disgusted by this stupid security arrangement (I spent £2.5 for nothing!) I threw away my food in rage as well. (Yes I should have better EQ but you just don't expect this sort of treatment at a major international airport do you?). Once we reached the gate's waiting room we had to queue right away and there were just no seats. Given its global importance I just can't comprehend how Schiphol can fail this miserably and like other negative comments the management should really wake up!

Review by (United Kingdom) 6th May 2015

Recently had a chance to use Schipol as a hub during our visit to Amsterdam. Everything works at this airport the trains planes buses and shuttles. Shopping is very good. There is improvement/refurbishment going on airside to make it even better? The only negative was a very long walk after immigration to reach your gate I like the idea of security check near the boarding area as this reduces the massive bottleneck at the start of your journey. The food joints are plenty and quick. Would use this as hub in future specially from North of England as there are frequent connecting flights.

Review by (Hong Kong) 19th April 2015

My arrival was relatively easy but you could have difficulty using the machines to buy train tickets as they rejected all my 3 international credit cards (visa & amex). Departure was a nightmare. No signs for customs and tax refund counters. Very long queue with just few people in the line (I waited over 30 minutes for Global Blue tax refund with just 6 people in front of me). Poor shopping experience with unhelpful and rude staff at the Fashion & Travel shop. And because of the decentralized security check I was stuck at the gate for over an hour with no food drinks or restroom. My last visit was a very pleasant experience seven years ago. I travel to on average 2-3 European major airports on an annual basis. The deterioration in Schiphol was to my dismay.

Review by (United Kingdom) 19th April 2015

There is a lot of building work taking place at the moment at this airport it is a complete shambles and mess for all passengers. If anyone is wanting to use the business lounges be prepared for a long walk across roof tops open to the elements. The walk to the British Airways lounge takes about 20 mins so please be aware of this for when you need to get to your departure gate as it will take over 40 mins to get to the D gates. The building work will be going on for a number of months so be prepared for a lot of walking & incorrect signage. If you are looking for places to eat these are few and far between as most have been closed and removed due to the building work.

Review by (United Kingdom) 14th April 2015

I found this airport poorly run. First there is nobody manning half the transfer desks (e.g. At T9) second my flight was cancelled and they put me in an airport hotel that was actually 20km from the airport they gave incorrect information and finally the security staff are the most rude I've come abroad in 20 years. Avoid this so called efficient airport at all costs it's badly run!

Review by (Hong Kong) 10th April 2015

Big airport with good [but as usual expensive] rail connection to Amsterdam proper and relatively cheap premium local beer airside departures. The annoying thing is the security-at-the-gate which always annoys me but otherwise I think this airport is reasonable for it's size and location. As others have noted there is some walking required - but I don't understand people's insistence that when travelling 10000km they should not have to walk a single pace without some kind of mechanical assistance. I don't mind walking it's usually faster than the moving walkways with groups and couples standing willy-nilly in the middle on the left and on the right all at the same time while enjoying the skin-crawlingly-slow pace of crawling forwards towards their destination.

Review by (Switzerland) 29th March 2015

A thoroughly shoddy experience. Very long walk to connecting flight with travelators not working. Then officious staff trying without success to place cabin baggage in the hold. But the biggest disappointment of all was the fact that there was nowhere to site in the departure gate because the airport is so far behind the development of larger long-haul aircraft. So more people than seats - and no opportunity to sit and relax before the flight.