Top 100 Airlines

Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

"used to be a decent airport"

Huge queues on 23 April. Baggage drop-off was backed up all the way to terminal 3, then join the queue to go up the stairs, where you get to join another long queue for the scanners. We arrived 2 hours before our flight, and the gate was closing by the time we got to it (at a run). Too few staff. Little sense of organisation or information. No toilets that I could see between bagage drop-off and the far side (airside) of passport control, which is something to bear in mind if you're travelling with a child. To be fair, the journey back was a breeze, but this used to be a decent airport. The combination of centralised scanning (used to be done at the gate) and peak periods seems to be sending it down the tubes. I would recommend avoiding it if you can, or arrive 3 hours early at peak times. I've rated seating, eating etc, but that's based on previous flights.

"avoid this airport"

Avoid this airport if possible. Queues from moment of arrival to getting on plane. They did not keep to gates as shown on departure details screens. No announcements to let you know what was going on. Staff very unhelpful and would not engage in conversation. This despite having checked in online the previous day. When we eventually dropped the bags off we expressed concern that we might miss our plane. Simply agreed but offered no help whatsoever. The next section ie security was just as bad. Avoid this airport.
Date VisitApril 2016

"staff are willing to help"

Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is one of the finest airports I have been to. It offers a huge variety of shops, entertainment and restaurants. Free Wi-Fi is available (which used to be 2x30 min), so they have improved in this area. An airport which gives you clear directions, is clean and staff that are willing to help you in a friendly manner offering a huge number of destinations.
Date VisitNovember 2015

"no information was provided"

Arrived at Schiphol on Tuesday 12 April from London, airport was in lockdown. Staff were clueless as to how to manage the situation, no information was provided at all during the entire 3 1/2 hours where we were all left standing around unable to clear immigration. When we were finally allowed into the arrivals area, no one knew where the checked bagged could be collected from, I finally walked through endless corridors and found a pile of suitcases stacked up in a corner and located my own. A disgraceful demonstration of a complete lack of co ordination, given recent events in Paris and Brussels one would expect that Schiphol would have had a plan in place already. The only information we had was from accessing local news feeds via phones/tablets. If this was a real emergency, the situation could have turned out really badly.
Date VisitApril 2016

"used to be a great airport"

There is constant building works going on, there is no structure to the different areas of the terminal. The staff that work there are extremely rude and lazy in a lot of the restaurants. It seems to be the norm to sit and wait and wait for service, ground staff were also extremly rude when we had an issue. It used to be a great airport.
Date VisitApril 2016

"too big and badly organised"

Amsterdam Schipol has become a profoundly unattractive airport to use. By using the single terminal model it has become a monster. On arrival the distance to walk to the arrivals hall was far too long, even though there were 3 travelators en-route. The queue for passport control was so long it came out of the arrivals hall and up the steps into the concourse. There was little management of the queue and it became such a scrum to get to the passport control desk that airport security had to be called to control passengers jumping the queue. From previous experiences of a slick operation, it took me nearly 45 minutes to get my passport checked. Departing was a similar experience of very long queues for passport control. I was lucky being in a priority queue, so it only took 15 minutes to wait, but the priority queue was merged with an economy queue, so any economy passengers who chose that queue had a much longer wait. Inside the concourse it is very large with long walks to get to any of the piers, the piers themselves are long. To get to my gate from the airline lounge was a 20 minute walk. Lounges themselves are identified only by number and there are no signs to identify which airline relates to which number. The KLM staff at the first lounge you reach were clearly getting exasperated to give directions to so many people. Overall, Schipol is now too big, badly organised and too slow. I only use it if really essential.

"dread my return trip"

(Sweden)

I have been travelling thorough Amsterdam 12 to 15 times per year for the last 12 years. What have they done to this once very good airport? Nowadays probably the worst airport in Europe and a reason not to fly KLM. Construction works going on, year after year. Poor and confusing signage and worst of all is the chaotic immigration control when changing from Schengen to non-Schengen flights, especially in the mornings. Total mayhem, hundreds of people crowding the area, no queues, just at mass of pepole trying to push their way through. Priority lane just does not work – nobody upholds it. Rude airport staff shouting conflicting orders to passengers. e-Passport machines don´t work and this is not a singular experience of mine as I have been through it several times the last 6 months. I dread my return trip.

"a lack of signs"

Staff very unhelpful to first time flyers, very rude and condescending. Any questions on where to go when we got to departures were answered rudely. When we only asked due to there being a lack of signs. Security check was made more difficult due to security staff avoiding answering questions about what to put in the trays. My friend and I had never travelled to Amsterdam and I had personally not travelled out of the UK in 8 years. When there was some sort of problem with one of the boarding passes, with a small misunderstanding in the wrong passport being handed over to the lady behind the desk, we were talked to rudely and condescendingly by the staff and made to feel quite stupid. Will avoid flying back to Schiphol airport again.

"lack of communication"

This was the worst airport experience ever. The check in staff were unhelpful with a clear lack of communication skills and did not help us with where to go or what we could take in our bags. We struggled to know where to go, the signs were not clear. Security was a disgrace with no communication about what to put where in the trays, I went into the check in security scan 3 times and very rudely sent out again as each member of staff had a different agenda. Meanwhile my wife had over £50 of cosmetics removed and confiscated with no help about how to deal with the situation. A lack of communication, rude staff and a lack of appropriate training made this a disgusting experience. Security yes but this was not good and puts us off visiting Amsterdam again.

"staff were very rude"

I have travelled to and from the Netherlands via Schiphol Airport a dozen times. This was the first time I departed from Schiphol where I went through their new security set up. It was the worst experience of any airport security I have ever been (LA, Toronto, Calgary, London Heathrow, Vancouver). The staff were very rude, they were arguing with customers, my partner went through the metal detector and without clearly communicating the lady quite promptly and unpleasantly did the physical check. Customers are treated as an annoyance to a time pressured staff. Also there is a new Schiphol security rule where chargers/cables have to be taken out of your luggage, something I have not seen at any other airport, the problem with this is that the communication on this rule is very limited, until you meet the staff, who treat you like you're an idiot for not knowing. Maybe they should hang up some signs. I could see this system work, but that security staff has no clue on customer care. Schiphol probably thought they were smart saving on security by hiring a low quality private company, but you can't save on customer satisfaction. I hope Schiphol will review this new setup and do a better job.
Date VisitMarch 2016