Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

"departing is just a one giant nightmare"

(Israel)

Verified Review | The airport itself is very modern and clean, it looks nice and it's very cormftable to arrive in. But when you're departing from it, is just a one giant nightmare. When you enter the airport you can see hundreds of meters full with check in desks, now, go find yours! If you passed the check in level, now you need to find the security checks, the walking time from the check in desks to your exact super specific check, is about 20 minutes if you don't mess up with the directions. I am familiar with airports and I messed up a couple of times. After you pass security, you need to head to your gate. Now, here the fun begins. I love big airports. But this is too big. Walking 20 minutes to the (closest) gate, is just a bit bigger than I like. So after you are exhausted from walking to the gate, delay! A really nice 30 minute delay who squeezes the last few milliliters of mind. So now fly from Amsterdam!
Date VisitJuly 2017

"is still a pretty good place to make connections"

Verified Review | Recent reviews of Schiphol Airport detail plenty of horror stories surrounding check-in and security (apparently for portal passengers originating or terminating AMS), but my experience over the past few years (most recently this month) as a transit passenger have been quite positive. Passport control queues have been longish but have moved properly, and one must keep ones eyes open for vehicle operators going just a bit too fast. And the one thing you will do on a connection is walk quite some distance, but travelators ease this situation considerably. In every case I made it to my departure gate with time to spare, enough time to nurse a Heineken or two at an airport pub before catching my flight. So whatever the problems may ne with check-in queues and the like, Schiphol is still a pretty good place to make connections - it's clean, comfortable and efficient.

"very hectic experience"

(Sudan)

Verified Review | Amsterdam airport has been a disappointment in all levels. This my second time here and it's worst than the first one. The queues for the check in were unbelievable but when you see the search area waiting time, it makes the check in experience an easy one. The immigration queues were unprecedented. Extreme chaos and lack of respect to passengers. No organization and after being directed by a staff to wait in a certain queue and found it to be the wrong one. Only three officers for non EU passports and they were very slow. I had an infant that was crying due to the increased heat and crowd and nobody gave us any respect. It was a very hectic experience and would avoid Amsterdam as a departure city.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"Long queue after long queue"

Verified Review | Ghastly. Worst airport experience I have ever had, by a long way in Amsterdam. Long queue after long queue. Security long snaking queues, just thought we had reached the end and there was another long double bend. Took us 2.5 hours from train to plane, only just arrived in time. No time for coffee, no time to shop. Just queuing and walking. Departure Gate a very long walk. Tried to log on to wifi but failed. Train station right under terminal gave it an extra point.

"very poor experience"

Verified Review | Lounge 3 at Amsterdam Schiphol at 7am in morning was filthy. Staff stood around talking not clearing tables or wiping eating surfaces. Supervisor failed to get staff to adequately clean area, food hygiene therefore a concern. General lounge cleaning poor with staff driving terminal electric vehicles far to quickly and expecting passengers to get out of their way. Overall very poor experience.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"Just be realistic Schiphol"

Verified Review | Over the past year Schiphol has clearly been in decline by being far too ambitious. Everything is overcrowded, and flights inbound and outbound are always late. People travelling through Schiphol are clearly agitated. It used to be a nice experience travelling through here, now it is clearly a far more stressful experience. Just be realistic Schiphol.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"Very heartless and cold airport"

Verified Review | I had an absolutely horrible experience at this airport. After traveling from Abu Dhabi to my home country (US), I had to change flights at this airport. My left knee was in excruciating pain. I requested a handicap trolley ride and was flatly told no. At passport control, the red vest customer service also tried to get me assistance with my mobility and he was also denied to help me. What kind of place is this to deny assistance to passengers. Very heartless and cold airport. I could barely walk and was in tears with the pain. I hobbled and almost missed my connecting flight. will never ever use this airport again.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"more organization is really needed"

(New Zealand)

Unverified | Arrival at Schipol was good but departure well that's another story, we arrived at Schipol around 3.5 hrs before our flight. Check in time took forever, only 2 lanes open for economy on our flight. Then went to passport security, this was so slow. People who have smart passports could not go through those lanes as they weren't open all up, it was just over 2hrs to get through. Yes there are a lot of flights but more organization is really needed in these areas - Schipol needs to learn a bit from Singapore Changi airport it is fabulous such a relaxing atmosphere there.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"40 minutes to go through passport control"

(Finland)

Verified Review | What a mess! I had transit in AMS and usually if you have only hand luggage 1.5 hours is enough. But not there. It took me 40 minutes to go through passport control even I used "fast" line. Only two desks for EU and non-EU. Really? There are more in much smaller aiports, but AMS is a huge international hub. Queue was so badly organaged - no barriers in the middle, so some people just jumped ahead. No attention from staff, a lot of angry passengers who almost lost flights. I almost lost mine but fortunatelly I am a good runner and could get there just before closing. These problems are so easy to avoid - just hire more staff and learn how make normal queues.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"capacity is just not adequate"

Verified Review | Throughout the years Amsterdam Schiphol became overcrowded. Even getting to Schiphol 2 hours prior to departure may not be enough. Though I see effort to make the security checks organised and efficient, the capacity is just not adequate. I faced long queues at security, passport control and baggage claim several times in the past. Since I had the pleasure of waiting for my luggage 60+ minutes once, I decided never to arrive to Schiphol with checked-in baggage. Last Saturday I thanked god that my destination was not in the Schengen zone, as I saw an enormous queue I could see no end of snaking from transit towards the gates of Schengen destinations. However I received my fair share of queuing the way back: arriving travellers had to queue in the transit area and were only gradually allowed to the overcrowded passport control area. ** ASKED FOR TICKET
Date VisitJune 2017