Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

Review by (United States) 2nd August 2015

Amsterdam Schipol is on a great airport. Getting off the plane and making my connection was very easy, even with the electronic transfer machines. In no time we were done with the transfer and had a good amount of time to shop and try the restaurants. Very little delays and could find anything right when you needed it.
Date Visit02-06-2015
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure

Review by (Netherlands) 1st August 2015

Like many other Dutch people Schiphol is my most frequently used airport. During my last visit it was a pleasure as usual. Things have changed a bit since there is a lot of construction going on this year. The signing is good in general, but returning from my lounge I went the wrong way for a short time because directions to my terminal were missing or I didn't see them but I got back on track in no time. There where some queues at customs, but nothing too bad. The airport is very clean and there are plenty of seats in the terminals and at the gates. They're not very special but good. Before and after customs there is a large variety of shops to get good food and beverages and do some shopping. I even went by the hairdresser before checking in. Most of the staff are very polite and professional and the WifI is fine. There will be many more departures from Schiphol for me to come.
Date Visit01-07-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 1st August 2015

I fear that Schiphol airport has forgotten its primary objective, that is to serve its customers, the flying public. The new security arrangements are a retrograde step for passengers with short transit times before flights. 9 times this year I have transited Schiphol Airport from an Air Astana flight from Atyrau to a KLM Cityhopper to Humberside. 8 times I have managed this well within the 50 minute transit time and waited patiently at gate D6. On Friday 31 July 2015 this changed. The Air Astana flight arrived at terminal D on time (which is normal). That's where normality stopped. We had to wait to disembark the aircraft to board a bus which then took us all to Terminal G where we had to negotiate the new security centre. No longer was there to be security at the gate. As a result the normal relaxing stroll from one gate at Terminal D to another turned into a running race for a man of 60. Not only did I arrive at the gate sweaty from my exertions with a pounding heart, I was also emotionally drained for fear of missing my flight on what was my wife's 60th birthday. This was compounded as I heard the last call for me with the threat to remove my baggage (not too much a worry as I only had carry on). I am concerned for the future as with running through Schiphol airport is not a safe activity due to the crowds and I'm not sure that I'll be physically able to do it for much longer. If I do miss my flight, the alternative? An eight hour wait for the next flight if there are seats available! Is Schiphol management willing to accept the consequences of their ill thought out plans for transit passengers with shortish transit times?
Date Visit01-07-2015

Review by (Malaysia) 27th July 2015

This airport is undergoing renovations. Honestly, my 7-hour layover in the airport led me to think that Schiphol is not the airport as it may have been a decade ago. Holland Boulevard is under renovation (and doesn't look nice anymore), so are the museum and the library, extremely overcrowded at McDonald's and at a Starbucks, and there is no place other than at the gates where one can sit and recharge electronics (outlets are extremely limited and some don't even work), internet access is okay but slow and needs renewal every hour. Finally, the lounges are pretty much overcrowded. Schiphol looks like it had better days in the early 2000s and the early 90s. Probably my most memorable experience there was the voice "mind your step" at the end of every walkway. Unfortunately, this place is like falling apart for when Amsterdam had rain, parts of the airport ceiling were dripping water, this aging airport needs more than what the current renovation project is working on. And as always, too much traffic (travellers are from all parts of the world), since this airport is a major European hub, yet I doubt that the airport can tolerate this much. If you want a quick layover, this airport might do good (ditch the restaurants unless you have a lot of patience) unless you haven't seen the airport before, but a long one is not worth it at all.
Date Visit26-07-2015

Review by (Germany) 8th July 2015

If you're tired and hungry and looking for a quiet place to sit down and have a bite in Terminal D then you'd be best to leave the airport. Six months this had been going on and still no improvement. Travelers tend to have bags, and occasionally kids, so it would be nice to be able to sort down for table service after security. Used to be possible upstairs. Overcrowded cafeterias and a pub with standing room only are the choices. By the looks of things, this could run for at least another year. I used to rate Schiphol highly but I'll be flying via Heathrow from now on.
Date Visit08-07-2015

Review by (United Kingdom) 29th June 2015

Overrated. Having all flights in one terminal is all well and good but it makes for extremely long walks to and from gates. Not at all well thought out. Bad queues in and out at security/passport control. Also, we landed on a remote runway which meant the taxiing to the terminal seemed to take almost as long as the flight itself!
Date Visit29-06-2015

Review by (Canada) 27th June 2015

Schiphol is undergoing a major renovation. Air conditioning isn't working at peak efficiency so it gets toasty on the long march to your gate. Past that and given what is being done everything is working well. Could use more signs for car rental return though.
Date Visit27-06-2015

Review by (United States) 10th May 2015

I was born and raised in Amsterdam. I have lived now in the US for 25 years and have traveled back and forth numerous times and always enjoyed it. Last time though it was under construction and indeed a mess. But I am sure it will be even better when they are done. The common discussion on the reviews is the rudeness of the employees at the airport. If you know the Dutch language you know that they are very direct and when translated directly coming from inexperienced speakers it comes across as rude. Even now after many years living in the US I still catch myself being too direct. I have never experienced any rudeness and the employees are always very friendly or at least polite. Looking forward to a new and even better Schiphol.

Review by (United Kingdom) 10th May 2015

Arrivals was quite good not a problem at all. Departure was where it turns ugly. Only two customs desk opened and airlines crew kept on jumping my queue to go through. I understand they can quickly get in by casually waving their passport/document to the custom officer but this should not be at the expense of the other passengers queuing patiently especially when there were more than twenty of them from different flights getting ahead of you. Departure food and shopping is quite nice and I thought I would overlook the customs issue by getting a good takeaway breakfast and eat at the gate waiting area how wrong! Security checking was at the gate (Terminal H) and there was a sign saying no restaurants beyond that point. So I had to throw away my bottle of orange juice purchased just minutes ago that I haven't even opened. I could have downed my drink before going through security but the queue was building up fast (I am actually among the first to turn up at the terminal area after gate info became available) so I tensed up and left the bottle behind at the mouth of the x-ray machine with the security officers. Immediately afterwards I felt so disgusted by this stupid security arrangement (I spent £2.5 for nothing!) I threw away my food in rage as well. (Yes I should have better EQ but you just don't expect this sort of treatment at a major international airport do you?). Once we reached the gate's waiting room we had to queue right away and there were just no seats. Given its global importance I just can't comprehend how Schiphol can fail this miserably and like other negative comments the management should really wake up!

Review by (United Kingdom) 6th May 2015

Recently had a chance to use Schipol as a hub during our visit to Amsterdam. Everything works at this airport the trains planes buses and shuttles. Shopping is very good. There is improvement/refurbishment going on airside to make it even better? The only negative was a very long walk after immigration to reach your gate I like the idea of security check near the boarding area as this reduces the massive bottleneck at the start of your journey. The food joints are plenty and quick. Would use this as hub in future specially from North of England as there are frequent connecting flights.