Amritsar Airport

Review by (United Kingdom) 31st May 2015

Disorganised airport worker pushed my parents wheelchair asking for money. Officer were asking us to speak Hindu. Trolleys were all over the place staff were really rude. Only one positive review is that it saves travelling time from Delhi to Punjab again we pay extra for that.

Review by (United Kingdom) 20th October 2013

We flew from Delhi to Amritsar on Monday evening 14 October 2013. Within half an hour of landing we had collected our luggage and were out of the airport. As it was a domestic flight there were no formalities. There was no other flights arriving so the airport was empty and the whole experience could not have been better. We did not need trolleys as all our luggage has its own wheels but there were trolleys readily available and the people we saw with trolleys did not appear to have any problems. The friends who were meeting us were able to drive right up to the arrival gate so loading ourselves and baggage into their vehicle was easy.
Facilities N/A

Review by (United Kingdom) 25th September 2013

The Airport has changed its way of working since 2002. It is now a lot cleaner airport with basic amenities available. There was no request from local staff for tips which surprised me on my recent trip. The security staff were friendly and no long queues. There was no charge for drop off near the departure gates which makes life easier. The airport needs to change the trolleys as most of them are broken and outdated. The shops need to sell more varieties of food. The current convenience shop at departures section of airport sells substandard goods. The departure and arrival terminal toilets need to be cleaned more frequently.

Review by (United Kingdom) 26th November 2012

I have made 2 trips (2010 and 2012) to India and went through Amritsar Airport. Nice airport clean seating areas got my luggage in 30-40 minutes. Immigration checks while coming out of country are bit odd as they ask so many questions. Toilets are clean. Not so many shops but It does the job very nicely. Not a lot at the airport to entertain you as not many cafes or restaurants but its developing. So give it time.

Review by (United Kingdom) 4th July 2011

I have travelled to India by Amritsar airport first time. I have saved two days of travelling time (from Delhi to Jallandhar). I was in Jallandhar 2 hrs after landing. I had no problem with immigration checking in checking out etc. I want to see Amritsar airport making more progress and improvements and more flights which will be good for Punjab economy and increase job prospect for local people in the area. I will travel by Amritsar airport in future.

Review by 23rd January 2010

I found Amritsar airport appalling. Disorganised chaos trolleys everywhere and no-one is bothered to move them . Your luggage is being checked through the scanner before you check-in not normal procedure. Washrooms/toilets flooded with water no announcements to boarding the flight no facility for credit cards only cash rupees and no duty free.

Review by 14th October 2009

Security in Amritsar airport is off the scale - they check and search you about 6 times until you depart which is very time consuming. Baggage belts are poor as in the electricity goes but the back up generator does not fully power the belt so its stops working or goes slower. Luggage usUally takes very long as it is transported by tractor from the aeroplane. Duty free in this airport is very restricted and fairly expensive. Parking facilities are very tight. I don't see Amritsar improving - have been going to India every year and its all the same. I know why major airlines have pulled out of Amritsar.

Review by 10th April 2008

Airport security is incredibly lax and inconsistent. You initially undergo a brief bodysearch when arriving at the airport. My dad and our driver were both searched but my sister and I were not subject to this search. Maybe they can tell that your not dangerous just by looking at you? Our baggage was not checked when entering the airport. Due to cancellations we had to have our baggage security checked twice. This means you put your own suitcase into a big machine for x-ray while a security official watches a screen as it passes through. This is the baggage you check-in. The first time all bags were aloud through unchecked. The second time one of the bags was flagged as containing a suspicious item. Why was this not flagged the first time? The security staff then wrap security tape around your suitcase to indicate that it has been checked. You then proceed to check- in on your own. This would allow enough time for you to insert dangerous items into your baggage. As far as i'm aware there are no more checks on your checked in baggage. The procedure is flawed. Then comes the second stage of security as you enter the departure lounge where your hand baggage is checked and you as a person. My sister got through with a nail file in her bag. In my opinion as long as you look like you're not a threat to the safety of the hundreds of passengers you're about to fly with you'll get through with anything. The security procedures here need to be over-hauled.

Review by 2nd March 2008

February 2008 - This airport is currently undergoing some major renovation so there's construction mess everywhere. Upon arrival got through immigration fairly quickly and suitcases arrived within 30 minutes. Leaving the terminal building confronted by scores of beggars which I found to be absolutely shameful for the airport authority to allow this. Had to navigate through various mounds of sand to get to our taxi. Departure day had to navigate through the same mountain of construction only to be greeed by throngs of airport security personnel who really don't know what they're looking at when they ask for passport and ticket. Showed wrong e-ticket print out but was still allowed to enter ! No problems through immigration and security. Prior to boarding need to show passport and boarding pass to security official Jet Airways official and Indian government offical in a span of five feet.

Review by 20th September 2007

I recently visited Amritsar airport for the first time and found it a mixed experience. Clearly undergoing a major expansion the approach roads are something of a building site. Inside the terminal clean tidy but with very limited facilities. Passport control was painfully slow with only two desks open. Yet I was very impressed that on arrival an airport worker noticed I had a bad leg and had some difficulty walking. He immediately offered assistance which was not required