Vote Now

Addis Ababa Airport

"the most disgusting airport "

Verified Review | Addis Ababa Airport is the most disgusting airport I have ever been to. We had a 9 hr stay there which was ment to be 6 hours, but flight was delayed. No explanation as to why it was delayed until we boarded plane. The male staff going through security were very rude and miserable. No one knows what they are doing, not enough seating area and not very clean. In departure lounge no toilet facility which we though very odd, as having plane delayed we then had to go out of departure lounge to go to toilet then got through all security again so disorganised.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"the staff need to go on a smiling course"

Well, what a disgusting airport. By using Ethopian Airlines, it was half the price of a British Airways flight for a small 2 hour stop over - so I could not see a reason to spend double. Every minute I stayed in this airport, standing as there is no where to sit and I did not trust the cleanliness of the floor, I wished I had bought the straight through flight from Heathrow to Cape Town. The toilets, after what looks like years of being moaned about on this site, still have never changed. No toilet paper or soap and fear of catching something. The shops have the most miserable workers in them who wouldn't help you at all and just point to someone else to serve you! Remarkable really the level of customer service in what looks to be a massive transit airport. The worst however is the ridiculousness of the security after duty free! No warning of this whatsoever and after buying duty free at Cape Town and Ethopian Airlines allowing me on the first plane with my wine, it now gets removed in "Adis Ababa as a security breach"! After what seems like an hour to get through security, there are absolutely no rules anywhere about this "breach" and looking at other posts they seem to just make it up from each day to the next. I'm never using this airport ever again. The smell of smoke is still in my clothes and all the staff need to go on a smiling course.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"lack of timely and reliable information"

Verified Review | We transferred at Addis Ababa on both the outward and return journey and while we found Ethiopian Airlines to be fine, they are very much let down by the airport which for us matched the worst of reviews here. I would be scared of traveling this way again. The first thing we noticed was the lack of timely and reliable information - electronic or in person. We were pointed at first in the right direction but then found that our gate was not made clear for a long time (they were changing the gate), and there were very few staff around to speak with. We were thirsty as we had not brought any local currency or US dollars, and cards were not accepted for small water purchases. There was no drinking water once you pass through into the gate area, except for in a little cordoned-off 'VIP' zone downstairs near Gate 1 (which we weren't entitled to). I was only glad that our flight was not delayed. The return transfer was worse - it was at night, heavily raining, and the roof was leaking in many places with trays put down to catch the drips. There are power shortages, and we had cuts of the lights and fans every so often. Water, which we had bought in Cape Town airport behind security, was confiscated when we went through Gate 14. What really made it a bad experience however was the queueing and security process which was so slow and disorganised. Queueing at Gate 14 was very slow, there were very few places to sit while queueing, and I was among a couple of dozen passengers who were selected for extra security checks with no explanation of why or how long it would take. My passport and boarding pass were held to take notes. I wasn't allowed to have my documents back or move on for about 40 minutes (some of those passengers selected later than me were processed before me), at which point I was put through a full body scanner, frisked, and my bag dusted for explosives. Even for those that were not held for security reasons, it took a long time to get everyone through the gate. The time for boarding then came and went with no announcement of delay (it turned out we had an additional half an hour wait while the plane was being prepared). The risk of being stuck at this airport would definitely make me prefer other routes. Also do not send anyone confused or vulnerable via this route.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"This airport is simply terrible"

Verified Review | Addis Ababa airport is simply terrible. It seems to be the stop over for lots of long haul travellers and provides not nearly enough seats, so people sit and sleep on the floor! Worst of all is the glass 'cage' gates area where there is no provision whatsoever for food or drink. On our outbound journey we had to sit for three hours with no refreshments as we connected within the gates area. On our return journey we connected through the usual way, but hung around in the restaurants with all the sleeping people as we knew that if we went through security we would be without refreshments for a very long time. Furthermore, we were doubly annoyed by having to pass through security for a second time (even though we were connecting) and any water we had bought after security at the first airport (Harare) was taken away. Farcical. And if you are lucky enough to get a table in a restaurant and not have to sit on the floor, don't expect efficient service or the option of Visa, as half the machines don't work or the shops only want cash. Never again.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"airport clearance very quick and customer friendly"

Arrived from LHR, 0545, Feb 2nd 2017. Arrived 45 minutes early on overnight Ethiopian Airbus 350 flight from London. Flight took only 6 hrs 30 minutes, brilliant. Airport clearance very quick and customer friendly. Bussed in from stand to Terminal 2. Immigration was excellent with more than enough staff so queue was very short. Bags arrived quickly though I was at carousel before them. Customs no problem so was out in public arrivals area within 25 mins of landing. Only complaint - why has Yellow Spot Cafe been removed leaving no choice of cafes as only one remains in arrivals.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"amount of seats is nowhere near enough"

(Sweden)

Addis Ababa is an absolutely horrible airport. Overcrowded, the amount of seats is nowhere near enough, making many people stand / sit on the floor. Long layover times in general and very bad information about delayed flight. Toilet services were OK. I cannot rate food services as I did not use these.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"difficult and unpleasant experience"

Addis Ababa airport was an extremely brutal experience. The employees were very rude, disorganized and unhelpful. Going through customs was by far the worst experience I have ever had at any airport. Staff will not allow you to get your checked luggage without a Visa into the country, so I paid $50 just to get my bag and recheck it the first time I went through Addis. Coming back through this airport, they did not allow me to get my bag at all (even with a Visa). Many others had the exact same issue and were frustrated as well. I had a tour scheduled in Addis Ababa that I had already paid for and staff would not let me get my bag or go out of the airport to do my tour. Their answers to my questions were constantly changing and no one appeared to know what the real rules and regulations were. Also, the airport is under construction so there is no baggage storage anywhere. The airport is very crowded with no place to sit, the bathrooms are unclean, there is no wifi and my flights were delayed. It was a very difficult and unpleasant experience for me. In the future, I will try to avoid this airport at all costs.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"no complaints or problems"

(Ethiopia)

Very smooth departure from Addis Ababa Airport. First baggage security check smooth and quick. Had checked in on line for ET710 to LHR, no problem. Bag drop quick and efficient as was immigration. This was 07.45 which is the morning rush hour. Departure area busy but comfortable, toilet fine. Second security check into newly renumbered Gate 14 quick but was then checked a second time inside gate area. Gate area empty. No complaints or problems.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"airport is completely overcrowded"

(Kenya)

This airport is completely overcrowded, people sitting on the floors, terrible smoking facilities and exaggerated prices in some of the shops which don't give you a receipt after you purchase an item. Customer service almost non-existent, toilets are very dirty, monitors can read wrong information and wireless internet does not always work. Avoid long layovers here if possible.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"number of seats is laughably inadequate"

(Mozambique)

Verified Review | This is quite simply the worst airport I've ever been to. The number of seats is laughably inadequate, with half of the passengers sitting on the floor. There are not enough restaurants and ones that exist are ridiculously overcrowded. The bathrooms are disgusting, inadequate, and are situated in a makeshift building. Due to crowding and incompetence, the staff won't even let you pass through the security check when it's your boarding time. If you have to change your airline in order to avoid this airport, do it.