Addis Ababa Airport

"dirty, inefficient, smelly, old"

(Italy)

Verified Review | If possible avoid having to pass through here for more than an hour. My flight was delayed by over 3 hours and the only info I got was through sms from Ethiopian Airlines for an over 3 hour delay. Arriving in the early morning is total chaos and you will not be able to find a seat, let alone a couch to lie down. There are a few scattered in dirty prison like rooms. Security checks, new body scanner but old convoy belt so shoes, clothes, computers all go together. In few words, dirty, inefficient, smelly, old.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"Avoid at all costs"

Verified Review | We were transit at this airport from Cape Town to Dublin , we were given a transit time of 50 minutes and during that time we were ferried to the Addis Ababa terminal where we had to go through security again. The airport was crowded with limited signs telling you where to go and Muslim men were praying openly on one floor and again the same for Muslim women on another in what was public ground. When we got to our gate there were people queuing in a normal fashion in couples or small families behind each other and then up the sides of each line people would ignore the queue and race to the front so the queue resulted in a continuing mob at the front and a long line. My partner decided to ask if we could be rushed through as we would miss our flight he returned and a little later a Ethiopian line steward told me to get in line, I was standing next to my partner she pushed me and said one behind the other that is how we queue while everyone around was at least two fold again she ignored our pleas and let people behind us up to the queue in front. I knew in Addison Abbas I had no rights as a woman and had to accept the assault and may I warn you there is no complaints line. Avoid at all costs.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"plenty of seats and short walk to signed gate"

Unverified | Two different transits same altitude sickness. The first visit was Thursday afternoon for a short turn around. I had expected much worse from other reviews but was pleasantly surprised - toilets working, plenty of seats and short walk to signed gate. We brought snacks so no need to purchase food and Ethiopian Air had fed us well. I felt horrible coming off the plane but thought it was the 13 hour plane trip I had just completed. In contrast, the second time we arrived at 9.30pm on a Saturday and it was a overcrowded, overheated and lacking fresh air. For me personally it was hellish as my low blood pressure combined with the high altitude kept me feeling dizzy and out of it for the whole 4 hours we were in the airport. My younger son had the same difficulty. The other two in our group were able to enjoy the amazing stream of humanity from the spot we had claimed on the floor (no seats or loungers available). If you are looking for an adventure - go for it - but take your blanket from the plane to sit on. If you travel badly, have low blood pressure and/or just want to get efficiently from point A to Point B skip this airport.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"I would avoid this airport at all costs"

Verified Review | Absolutely horrific experience, both coming and going from LAX to other African destinations. Transfers required going through security again, and there were insufficient staff to handle the number of passengers. As a result, it took 60-90 minutes for business class passengers and 120 minutes for economy passengers to get through. Though business class lines were not obviously marked and not enforced. Huge lines of passengers anxious about missing their flights, leading to jostling, shoving, line cutting, etc. Departure board did not update true departure times, leading to panic, as the board would show flight departing in 5 minutes, and passengers would see scores of passengers ahead of them. As it was I think every flight was delayed by an hour or more, even as the departure board showed the plane as departed. Even with the slow security, the processes were unsafe, as many passengers (including me accidentally) brought through liquids. There seems to be an expansion under construction, but until it is completed I would avoid this airport at all costs.

"It is absolutely awful"

Verified Review | I've used Bole Airport a few times this summer. Flying in from London, a few domestic flights and flying out back to London. It is absolutely awful! Easily the worst airport I've encountered. Security is insane. Firstly on entering the airport grounds you produce your passport/ticket to the Federal Police who stop your taxi then you queue for ages to have your bags scanned to get into the airport building itself. Once that is all over you join the queue for the check in desk-which covers all Ethiopian Airlines destinations, not just yours. Eventually you're through that and ready for another pre departure security check. Pass that and you're airside. There are a few gift shops resembling the infamous Merkato downtown and one scarily pathetic cafe. The cafe appears to think people are willing to pay $25 for a Chinese meal or $10 for a plate of chips! (In Addis!) Once you've passed these outlets (which are basically shacks) you've got another passport/ticket check and then a bare room serving as the departure lounge. Eventually you board-and guess what? Another passport/ticket check on the way! Incidentally, don't bother trying to connect to the wifi!
Date VisitJuly 2017

"to be avoided if possible"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | Addis Ababa is certainly one of the worst airports when it comes to comfort and especially to security screening. There is a Gold Track for Star Alliance passengers with Gold status, as well as business / first class passengers, but this Gold track is so badly organized and controlled that you might go faster on the normal track: chaotic queuing, bad flow of personnel during the checking, insufficient number of trays for laptops, etc., creating even more chaos. Gates changing, without proper announcements, displays showing different gate numbers, you could easily miss your flight there. To be avoided if possible.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"It is absolutely disgraceful"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | The airport is horrifically dirty and rundown. It is overcrowded and looks more like a local market than an international airport. The bathrooms are temporary, dirty and disgusting. The signage is very misleadig and the boards are completely wrong, we were delayed by 30 minutes and before boarding even commenced the board showed our flight status as departed. The seating is extremely limited and the seating that is available is dirty or broken. The ground staff are clueless and couldn't be bothered to help. It is absolutely disgraceful. I have travelled to many African airports before, I am an African citizen and all I can day is avoid this place at all costs!
Date VisitJuly 2017

"not a good airport, but you will survive"

Unverified | Reading the previews reviews, I was worried. ADD is not a great airport - well below average - but it is not the end of the world. And with the opening of the extension next year, it should improve. Negatives: 1) Very crowded: they are building an extension and advertise it will be ready in 2017. Although they might be able to use small parts of the new building by end of year. I think it is more likely to open mid-2018. 2) Smell is one small area, but as you walked away it did not bother us. I avoided the toilets. 3) Lack of signage: our connecting gate was actually right next to our arriving gate but one has no idea where to go, and screens only display flights in the next hour or so. 4) Nothing to eat or drink past security. Positives: 1) Connecting gate was next door (I have had horrible experiences at CDG and LHR). 2) Food at the lounge was delicious (Although it was 8am, I avoided the western eggs and potatoes and took local dishes. 3) Duty free stores are a little different (not a mess): bought some local coffee beans and Ethiopian wine from the Rift Valley. I have no doubt this is much more expensive than in Addis but where can you find this wine in the West? The best coffee selection is actually at a tiny store next to security. In conclusion, not a good airport, but you will survive. Things should get better during course of 2018. This being said Ethiopian airlines was excellent.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"the toilets are filthy and crowded"

(Israel)

Unverified | Its a small primitive airport terminal, though serving many passengers coming and going. Its very busy, very few overpriced shops, the toilets are filthy and crowded. The eating facilities also look dirty (I didn't risk eating there). Considering the amount of people it handles, it should be fixed up to a much better standard.
Date VisitMay 2017

"utter chaos"

Verified Review | Utter chaos at Addis Ababa airport. Over 20 flights leaving in the space of 30 mins between 11-11.30 pm and only 2 security check gates open. Hundreds of people trying to get in and board their flights. No staff from Ethiopian Airlines or airport staff. Recipe for stampede. Definitely avoid this airport if possible.