Abu Dhabi Airport

"Not as efficient as Dubai"

Unverified | Don't Like this airport for the following reasons: 1) Signage is confusing and there are too many twists and turns. 2) The departure gates and times are often changed at the last minute without warning. I almost missed my flight because of this. 3) They station staff at certain points who point you in directions where you did not intend to go and mislead you. 4) The entrance for departures is located at the side as an afterthought almost and you enter into a narrow passage as if its still work in progress! 5) Offiicial staff are not friendly and rather brusque. They haven't seemed to have overcome their inbuilt superiority complex. 6) Not as efficient as Dubai where everything is superbly laid out and accessible. 7) When we reached the departure lounge, we were not let in and passengers were all hanging around outside with nowhere to sit or eat.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"very abrupt and rude"

Verified Review | I had to transit through this airport on my return flight to Australia. On the way out we nearly got stuck on a moving escalator as the transit security was so backed up. The member of staff at the top of the stairs wasn't doing anything to stop the situation. In the end a passenger hit the emergency stop button to prevent injury. On the return journey as we went through the transit security they decided the wine bottle stopper I had purchased as a gift in Sydney city was not allowed through this airport - yet it was fine to go through Sydney security. The man was very rude to me and didn't even explain why I couldn't take it through. It was just a standard wine bottle stopper in a gift box so not an offensive weapon of any kind! There should be no need for transit security and also they open and check your bags again when you go through to the boarding gate! The security staff in particular were very abrupt and rude which is a complete contrast to the polite staff of the many other airports I have travelled to and through.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"for my purposes it was perfectly functional"

(Japan)

Unverified | So, my expectations were low. I read numerous reviews on here prior to leaving and was dreading the transit process as I was travelling alone with an active 2 year old in tow. Well, I needn't have worried because my experience was fine. Firstly I transited at night twice (apparently the busiest time) and on both occasions it was not crowded. Baby cars were readily available and greatly helped me in getting the little one where she needed to be with minimal fuss. The security queue was quickly bypassed when the staff noticed I was travelling with a child. In any case the queue was not long. Both times on arrival I ended up on a bus to get to the terminal but each time the journey was about 3 mins. The bus was waiting when we arrived and wasted no time in leaving when full. I would not consider getting a bus to the terminal to be a negative point. The toilets were clean enough and I didn't have any queue to use them. I didn't have a need to use the food outlets and was not interested in doing any shopping so can't comment about that. So whilst this is certainly not the worlds greatest airport it's far from the worst and in fact for my purposes it was perfectly functional.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"airport is not convenient"

Verified Review | Abu Dhabi airport is not convenient. Lots of walking and long queues due to bad design and narrow spaces. Staff not well-trained. No drinking water available after final security check at gate. Very limited availability of restrooms. Overall not impressed and will try to avoid this airport.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"truly dreadful airport"

(Saudi Arabia)

Verified Review | This is a truly dreadful airport and buses from plane to tarmac, chaotic security check just to transit, everywhere is crowded especially night time when many flights leave. Don't even consider using the toilets as they are truly filthy. Use a toilet in one of the business class lounges if you can and we are talking T3. The Air-conditioning is hardly cold due to so many passengers crammed into this place. Transiting through this airport is truly stressful and the quicker the new airport is built the better if that is to be maintained as the toilets is a huge problem here.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"it is totally inadequate"

Verified Review | I was at Abu Dhabi airport twice (Aug and Sept 2017) going to and from Australia. For a supposedly 1st world airport it is totally inadequate. Queues for all ladies toilets were outside into the corridor. In the departure area UK/OZ there were only two small ladies facilities, one downstairs and one through in another another area. The baby changing room did not have a toilet for toddlers ie young children tired after a 14 hour flight had to be taken to one room then queue endlessly to use a toilet. The adults were so tired we did not notice an i-pad used to pacify a child had been left in the French restaurant upstairs. Nice place, but when we arrived in the UK and contacted them they told us we had to contact Lost Property in the airport. Do not waste your time as the phone will ring for 5 days of random day and night calls and e-mails will go unanswered. After 10 days we spoke to Complaints where the staff member was equally unhelpful. I have been in Guatamela and Tibet airports and they do not pretend to be 1st world. Abu Dhabi is a disgrace - oh unless you happen to be a man who wants to smoke - that is fine there are special rooms for you to smoke in comfort.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"the airport didn't help my mood"

Verified Review | Had to transit through Abu Dhabi on my way to Sydney from London. I wasn't particularly happy coming off the Etihad flight due to the lack of legroom and the airport didn't help my mood. For a hub airport it felt very small, although in terms of airport land occupancy it dwarves Heathrow. There aren't many shops nor too many places to eat but the biggest problem is the toilets. On my return journey one of the toilet/shower rooms was closed so I had to go and find another. One other I tried was queuing out the door (for a mens toilet this is rare), so I walked for a few more minutes and found another and waited in a shorter queue. However when I left there was a queue out the door. The cleanliness wasn't any good either even though there was a cleaner in them constantly cleaning the floor (why?). But with a wet floor making the room feel like a sauna with a damp smell and the toilet seats just being a mess. Not a pleasant experience. Taxi time in the airport seemed to take too long as well, especially as there didn't seem to be much air traffic. Meanwhile Heathrow the far far busier airport has plenty of shops, more seating areas, more and much cleaner toilets. While a lot of flights are delayed from Heathrow due to only having 2 runways, it puts shame to Abu Dhabi. In future I will try to avoid the airport and fly with another airline to transit elsewhere.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"not bothered to provide enough toilets"

(Indonesia)

Verified Review | I was transiting at Abu Dhabi on my way from London Heathrow to Jakarta. At first glance, the airport is incredibly busy, however as many passengers flying through Abu Dhabi are also transiting, I had expected the crowd. What does amazes me though, for an airport serving a five star airline and the national airline of the United Arab Emirates was the fact that they could not be bothered to provide enough and adequate toilets for passengers. I had to go through the entire length of the terminal to find a toilet with a short enough line that I would not miss my connecting flight. Even the short line cost me 25 minutes of waiting. The toilet itself was not that clean and definitely not up to the standard neighbouring Dubai has. Shops and seating are available in great numbers but due to the crowd, full. Also, for an airport this size and a five star airline, I did not expect to board my flight to Jakarta through bus transfer in the middle of the day in 45*C weather. It was like being in a sauna. For me, Dubai International is a much better alternative and considering the decline in quality and service of Etihad Airways, I think flying with Emirates via Dubai is the best alternative from here on then. You would be able to find plenty of clean and queue free toilets in Dubai and hop on to your flight through a sophisticated system called a "gate".
Date VisitJuly 2017

"you have to walk for kilometres"

Verified Review | We flew from Istanbul to Melbourne with Etihad (a first for us) and had to endure what must be one of the worst transit experiences in the world - you have to walk for kilometres. You have to go through two long-winded screening processes although you have just come off an international flight and you are supposedly in transit.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"comfortable and treated well"

Verified Review | Abu Dhabi Airport is good. There is shower for passengers and the airport is comfortable and feel treated well. The food and beverage selection is quite good but lacks Asian variety. Airport seems to be a bit crowded around 9 to 11pm.
Date VisitJune 2017