Abu Dhabi Airport

"it is totally inadequate"

Verified Review | I was at Abu Dhabi airport twice (Aug and Sept 2017) going to and from Australia. For a supposedly 1st world airport it is totally inadequate. Queues for all ladies toilets were outside into the corridor. In the departure area UK/OZ there were only two small ladies facilities, one downstairs and one through in another another area. The baby changing room did not have a toilet for toddlers ie young children tired after a 14 hour flight had to be taken to one room then queue endlessly to use a toilet. The adults were so tired we did not notice an i-pad used to pacify a child had been left in the French restaurant upstairs. Nice place, but when we arrived in the UK and contacted them they told us we had to contact Lost Property in the airport. Do not waste your time as the phone will ring for 5 days of random day and night calls and e-mails will go unanswered. After 10 days we spoke to Complaints where the staff member was equally unhelpful. I have been in Guatamela and Tibet airports and they do not pretend to be 1st world. Abu Dhabi is a disgrace - oh unless you happen to be a man who wants to smoke - that is fine there are special rooms for you to smoke in comfort.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"the airport didn't help my mood"

Verified Review | Had to transit through Abu Dhabi on my way to Sydney from London. I wasn't particularly happy coming off the Etihad flight due to the lack of legroom and the airport didn't help my mood. For a hub airport it felt very small, although in terms of airport land occupancy it dwarves Heathrow. There aren't many shops nor too many places to eat but the biggest problem is the toilets. On my return journey one of the toilet/shower rooms was closed so I had to go and find another. One other I tried was queuing out the door (for a mens toilet this is rare), so I walked for a few more minutes and found another and waited in a shorter queue. However when I left there was a queue out the door. The cleanliness wasn't any good either even though there was a cleaner in them constantly cleaning the floor (why?). But with a wet floor making the room feel like a sauna with a damp smell and the toilet seats just being a mess. Not a pleasant experience. Taxi time in the airport seemed to take too long as well, especially as there didn't seem to be much air traffic. Meanwhile Heathrow the far far busier airport has plenty of shops, more seating areas, more and much cleaner toilets. While a lot of flights are delayed from Heathrow due to only having 2 runways, it puts shame to Abu Dhabi. In future I will try to avoid the airport and fly with another airline to transit elsewhere.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"not bothered to provide enough toilets"

(Indonesia)

Verified Review | I was transiting at Abu Dhabi on my way from London Heathrow to Jakarta. At first glance, the airport is incredibly busy, however as many passengers flying through Abu Dhabi are also transiting, I had expected the crowd. What does amazes me though, for an airport serving a five star airline and the national airline of the United Arab Emirates was the fact that they could not be bothered to provide enough and adequate toilets for passengers. I had to go through the entire length of the terminal to find a toilet with a short enough line that I would not miss my connecting flight. Even the short line cost me 25 minutes of waiting. The toilet itself was not that clean and definitely not up to the standard neighbouring Dubai has. Shops and seating are available in great numbers but due to the crowd, full. Also, for an airport this size and a five star airline, I did not expect to board my flight to Jakarta through bus transfer in the middle of the day in 45*C weather. It was like being in a sauna. For me, Dubai International is a much better alternative and considering the decline in quality and service of Etihad Airways, I think flying with Emirates via Dubai is the best alternative from here on then. You would be able to find plenty of clean and queue free toilets in Dubai and hop on to your flight through a sophisticated system called a "gate".
Date VisitJuly 2017

"you have to walk for kilometres"

Verified Review | We flew from Istanbul to Melbourne with Etihad (a first for us) and had to endure what must be one of the worst transit experiences in the world - you have to walk for kilometres. You have to go through two long-winded screening processes although you have just come off an international flight and you are supposedly in transit.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"comfortable and treated well"

Verified Review | Abu Dhabi Airport is good. There is shower for passengers and the airport is comfortable and feel treated well. The food and beverage selection is quite good but lacks Asian variety. Airport seems to be a bit crowded around 9 to 11pm.
Date VisitJune 2017

"signage was awful and confusing"

(Saudi Arabia)

Verified Review | What a terrible airport this really is, overcrowded right from the word go and you have to use shuttle buses from your arrival gate to a transit/arrival drop off area which is cramped with buses queuing just to drop passengers off. As I was transiting signage was awful and confusing, if you have not been here before then you hit security and as is customary in this part of the world they have the minimum security x-ray machines open which in this case was just 2, until one official had the brain wave to open a third as passengers soon ballooned to large queues. Staff were really disinterested and seemed untrained at times, once through after 15 minutes again signage is confusing and then you are met with so much overcrowding its unbelievable! People sitting anywhere they could as there were not enough seats. Toilets are a disgrace so if you can hold until you board the plane then do so. If this is the shining example of this city then its a huge embarrassment to the country and must be avoided at the peak hours of late night and early mornings. Announcements are garbled at best and those trying to speak clearly at the gates can hardly be heard or speak very poorly to be understood. I fear because of the situation in Qatar I have to run the gauntlet of this airport later in the year, something I'm really not looking forward to.
Date VisitJune 2017

"disappointed for the inconvenience"

Verified Review | I am absolutely disappointed for the inconvenience myself and other passengers directed to Sydney encountered at the airport. I bought a bottle of water at the duty free shop and I was obliged to drink it all before boarding as it was not allowed. The alternative was to throw it away. I can understand there might be restrictions for specific flights but I see the issue at the duty-free free shop. Why did not they inform me of these restrictions as they scanned my boarding pass? This is the question I asked myself which remains without a valid answer and made my experience at the airport quite bad. I really hope you can do something in order to avoid these issues happen again in the future. Good cooperation among all the services and security operations at the airport is required in order to keep a high quality standards.
Date VisitApril 2017

"a very out of date airport"

(Saudi Arabia)

Verified Review | A very out of date airport where security screening queues for transit passengers are a nightmare. Upon leaving our aircraft we made our way towards the connecting flights signs only to be greeted by long lines of passengers waiting to pass security. It took us no less than 40 minutes to get our bags screened in order to make our way to terminal 3 which was another 10 minute walk. Very disorganised especially at peak times. I hope the new airport will solve these issues.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"amazing arrival experience"

Verified Review | Amazing arrival experience at Abu Dhabi Airport. It took us only 15-20 minutes from the plane to the taxi. By the E-gate facility we passed through passport control within a couple of minutes. By the time we reached the baggage carousel, our baggages were already there.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"my number one to avoid"

(Austria)

Abu Dhabi is an incredibly busy airport to avoid at all cost, famous for the lack of toilets (just Google it). When you manage to find a toilet they are very dirty and have massive queues (10 minutes). Not enough seats at the gates and they are uncomfortable as well. Another lengthy security check also when in transit. Crazy! Again, this airport is my number one to avoid.
Date VisitDecember 2016