Top 100 Airlines

Abu Dhabi Airport

"crowded, signage confusing"

I have travelled through the airport twice in the last month in transit from Manchester to Kathmandu. Going out saw me have to use the older terminal 1 and in fairness, the place coped well and didn't seem too busy. I had no issues with security and the staff were helpful in answering one or two questions that I had. Coming back was a different matter entirely as I had to use terminal 3 late at night and the place was crowded, signage confusing, the toilets were in a sorry state but the best bit was that over a hundred odd people had congregated at Gate 34 in readiness for the Manchester departure only to be told by surly staff that we all had to vacate the lounge in order that passport and boarding passes be checked. There were some unhappy and tired passengers at that moment in time. The powers that be want Abu Dhabi to be a world class airport but it has got some way to go before it becomes one.
Date VisitApril 2016

"experienced the same overcrowding"

Verified Review | Further to my review posted in March 2016: transitting through Abu Dhabi airport in April on a very long journey from Melbourne to Manchester, I naively thought the airport owners would have read its reviews over the last six months and acted on them. This is not the case. So during a 3-hour layover we experienced the same overcrowding, ignorant staff, overpriced and stale snacks, dirty and dingy washrooms and inadequate seating described by many customers in 2015 and 2016. One apparent manager at my gate suggested I complain via the website. I did this via smartphone on the spot. The website feedback link is well-hidden, goes to an auto-complete form - which then fails to submit. The staff I showed this too really couldn't have cared less. I found the airport's corporate website and used their contact form to submit a complaint. There has been no response to this. Avoid, avoid.
Date VisitApril 2016

"unhelpful staff"

What a terrible airport this was. I have done my fair bit of travelling and this airport has to rank as one of the worst. Chaotic, lack of signs, unhelpful staff, overpriced, lack of availability at the restaurants and bar available and a lack of seating. Absolutely freezing - I really cannot comprehend why the air conditioning is cranked up so high, just a general disaster all round. I will avoid this airport in future.
Date VisitAugust 2015

"just as disappointing"

Second time of transit, and just as disappointing as before. Lots of shiney marble doesn't mean its fine to dispense with courtesy. Paid £25GB in local currency for 2x stodgy indifferent sandwiches and small water. Washrooms wet on floors and counters, malodorous and dirty, maybe signage should explain where used toilet paper is correctly deposited as all stalls were overflowing. Many male employees at security checks are ill mannered. Completely pointless second bag search on entering gate seating area. This seemed aimed at preventing bottled water being taken through - why? Airport marketing and strategy appear centred on getting you to pay for premium lounges, with any other customers being herded like cattle. Avoid this airport if viable alternatives appear.
Date VisitMarch 2016

"minimal guest services"

Although a lot of effort is undertaken to promote the airport as a leading international airport, the facilities of AUH are average and compared with top-notch airports in Asia well below average. Abu Dhabi International Aiport is not only uncharming, but also provides only minimal guest services. Dining options are poor and waiting areas will remind passengers of a hospital or a bus station. Moreover, airport staff are unfriendly and at times rather incompetent. However, there is one positive aspect, wifi coverage is fair througout the airport. In conclusion, try to avoid the airport if you have other travelling options.
Date VisitMarch 2016

"a complete fiasco"

(Vietnam)

A new airport but a complete fiasco. Already saturated and undersized. Corridors too narrow. Long queues at security screening. We landed late from Ho Chi Minh City. Connection to Paris had been removed from screen as gate 34 was officially closed. Etihad staff were only assisting passengers connecting to a few destinations. Others were left with a: "run to the gate" which was not on the screen. Staff really need more training in technical and customer service. On both ways, we had to use a Cobus. On our way back, we were leaving from the old terminal. Gate 37. Seating was not suuficient for even one plane. Passengers to Munich who were waiting for gate 38 to open were rudely yelled at by a man to "move out of the gate and wait in the main terminal". He didn't tell them that there was no seats available in that terminal. Very cheeky. A very average and stressful experience. I will avoid this airport in future especially that service to/from Paris was average. Meal service takes far too long the way that it has been set by management.
Date VisitFebruary 2016

"disappointed with this airport"

I am a little disappointed with this airport. It still has a lot to learn from the nearby Dubai. Most of the staff were unfriendly and some were even rude. However, kudos to the airport paramedics who looked after me very well when I felt unwell. The waiting areas were terrible. Seating was cramped and the shops were like your usual market. The airport lounge was okay but the selection of food was not great. This airport is has a long way to go to become world class.
Date VisitAugust 2015

"airport is awful"

Abu Dhabi airport is awful - they built a new terminal but they didn't seem to want to fire the architect from the previous incarnation. Most staff are unprofessional, discourteous or maybe just incapable. They still resort to using buses to transport passengers to and from the terminal. Long walk from one terminal to another. Restrooms are terrible, dirty and wet. I was not able to ride with my disabled parents in the seperate transport and had to take all the bags. I had to wait 1 hour at the drop off point for my parents to get there, so that we can carry on to the connecting flight. This airport is old school - they have one long line where they scan your handbags - the customs/security people are bureaucratic and rude. Avoid especially if you are traveling with older people.
Date VisitMarch 2015

"avoid this airport"

Avoid this airport. To transfer through here means getting into a huge throng of people moving at snail's pace. The queues to clear security between terminals were to the point that people could not get off the escalator because of the crowds. People started screaming because they had nowhere to go once they reached the bottom. People yelled for the escalator to be shut down and the airport staff scrambled but it was too late, people young and old were on the floor on top of each other. It was a terrible scene to witness.
Date VisitFebruary 2016

"no co-ordination between departments"

(Saudi Arabia)

Our family (we are 10 adults, 3 kids and 3 babies) travels together whenever we can. For the first time, we have encountered a bad experience in an airport. Unfortunately, we had to endure 10 hours at this airport. Allow me to point out the good things first. Good things: - the experience in the shuttle bus that drove us from the airplane to the airport was good 'the driver was kind enough to turn on the a/c in the bus despite us being the only ones onboard' - (we were the last ones to disembark the plane). The staff in the food court/village explained patiently what we could get with the meal vouchers issued to us (it wasn't true that you could have any meal as the issuer of the vouchers claimed) - when they changed the boarding gate a few minutes before the scheduled boarding time, we appreciated the person going around the gate to make sure that passengers had transferred to the correct gate. Bad things: - there is no co-ordination between departments - most staff we encountered were apathetic and rude: change of flight counter, person manning the queue in the x-ray area before the boarding gates, ground crew who was wearing a vest with reflective tapes and boarded passengers (that was a first actually because in my years of travelling I have never encountered a ground crew getting our passports and boarding passengers). They were late in boarding passengers because the plane was parked at the wrong gate. Instead of practicing the standard procedure (of asking business class passengers, passengers with kids and seniors to board first), they just "motioned" to the passengers to line, they did not even announce it so we were surprised that people far from us got into the line first (when we were already beside the gate). Smoking area was not contained / maintained properly, we could smell the smoke all the way to the boarding gate.
Date VisitJanuary 2016