Abu Dhabi Airport

"Worst transit airport"

Trip Verified | Worst transit airport I have ever been to, unorganised and unprofessional check for transit flight is absolutely chaos where they can't handle even more than one flight at a time, I spent more than an hour in the que for baggage check where I only had 1.45 hrs for the transit flight and all together there is a long walk to the gates, I really panicked because I thought I am going to miss the connection flight. It was absolutely nightmare, there was another baggage check just before board, where they force you to send your hand baggage through luggage even if it is legally allowed size, where the same flight allowed it first place.
Date VisitApril 2018

"I was left in shock"

(Serbia)

Not Verified | Knowing that this is one of the main transit hubs I had really high expectations but I was left in shock how dated this airport actually is. I had a flight transfer here and the first thing you have to go through is a security check which is then repeated at the gate meaning that if your layover is short you could miss a flight. The airport corridors and shops are narrow and under huge pressure from millions of passengers. Absolutely the worst part are the toilet facilities which are extremely scarce and dirty. In general the facilities offered for passengers in transit are subpar. If you wish to sit down you have to enter the gate zone as outside of it there are only a few chairs available in the corridors. The staff I came in contact with were really nice.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"Incredibly rude staff"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | One of the worst airports I’ve ever seen. Incredibly rude staff, internet very difficult to join, no possibility to charge your phone, dirty toilets, insufficient customer service, very expensive etc.. Worst terminal signs ever plus you wait ages for information to be displayed.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"airport leaves a lot to be desired"

Not Verified | I like Etihad Airways and travel with them whenever I can. Abu Dhabi airport leaves a lot to be desired. The main problem for me is the toilets, they are by far the worst I have ever had the misfortune to use with filth and urine all over the floors. I have seen passengers urinate in the hand basins because the toilets are too small and busy.
Date VisitApril 2017

"needs better facilities"

Trip Verified | This airport needs better facilities than the current circumstances, international airport without better facilities to make passengers comfortable it doesn't correlate being a hub for five star airlines. I was surprised that until now they still transfer passengers from airplane to coaches. It's really hard to travellers with children and elderly.

"Very unprofessional"

Not Verified | Very unhelpful. It was 2 am and one of my kids was asleep and they kicked us out of the seating area, lined everyone up to check their tickets. We sat my son in the next seating area over. My husband lined up and texted me when he got to the front of the line. The man checking tickets saw me struggling with my sleeping child and had me sit him in the original seating area apologizing saying people with kids don’t have to wait in line. However he did nothing to warn the other parents. So we went down the line telling all the parents ourselves. The ticket man also said to sit near the entrance as they would announce people with kids to board. When the time came they boarded wheelchair users and let economy riders on at the same time as business class (who were very upset). I confronted a stewardess asking why they haven’t announced business class or people with kids. She just said your in the kids line, look their are lots of you. I wasn’t in a line really I was standing with business class and a few people with kids. I saw another attendant and asked him. He suggested we all sit down. I got upset and said so you want to board everyone else first and then let people with kids on last, that’s useless. He got angry and asked me what do I want. He told me to stand where I was and enter with business class. The whole thing was strange. I have never experienced anything like this at an airport. There are basic standards but no one seems to know what they are. Very unprofessional.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"The staff there are rude"

Trip Verified | Abu Dhabi airport is becoming more and more painful to travel through. The staff there are rude. Etihad Airways religiously wants to ensure your carry on luggage fits to the stainless steel cage they have at the airport even though I had already traveled my first leg of the journey from Chicago to Abu Dhabi. For some reason, Etihad did not give me a boarding pass to my connecting flight which was also Etihad from Abu Dhabi to Lahore. I had to go to the transfer desk and be in the queue for 30 minutes to get a boarding pass. This airport has outsourced all the services to contracting companies. Everywhere I found unskilled labor doing work including baggage handling through the scanners.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"poorly designed airport"

Trip Verified | Really poorly designed airport with minimal facilities for passengers. Would not recommend any traveler to go through this airport. Pathetic customs and check in staff and Etihad Airways support staff really dont care what or how long you to have to wait. If you can avoid this airport please do.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"They quote outrageous prices"

Trip Verified | It does not compare to Dubai, a place of such efficiency, it would be very difficult to beat. My concern about this airport is the heavy presence of unlicensed and illegal taxi touts. A year ago these individuals were clustered at the doorways. Now, imbued with a sense of complete freedom from action from any officials, they are right inside and no more than five paces after you step out from Customs. There was one fraught security official who professed he could not manage the crowd of around 25 of these men. Anyone slightly western looking is pounced on. I asked to see a permit. They could not provide. They quote outrageous prices thinking you will be ignorant of the real rates. What did shift some of them? I got out the camera and took a few pictures. They ran but two minutes later they were back. Then they decided to locate up at the other exit. There was one empty police car. No officers. I did try to locate them unsuccessfully. There are no warning posters anywhere. Nobody gives you a leaflet inside the Arrivals Hall that provides correct information. There is not enough security and even Customer Services say they cannot deal with it. So this 'mafia' operate with impunity. Down in Dubai there are police and they arrest and deport that day these taxi touts, many of whom are not legally in the country anyway. There does not seem to be any determination to act yet the capital wants tourists. I agree with other reviewers: the toilets are inadequate. However, this is as much to do with the poor cultural habits of the users as the paucity of toilets.
Date VisitDecember 2017

Abu Dhabi Airport customer review

Trip Verified | Arrival: immigration procedures very efficient: less than 20 minutes are necessary from aircraft disembarcation to airport exit. Departure: check in and immigration procedures are efficient. Waiting area in international area is a little too small for a B777-300ER (gate 7 - Terminal 1). Duty free is quite poor regarding to duty free at Dubai Airport.
Date VisitNovember 2017