Abu Dhabi Airport

Review by (United Arab Emirates) 15th June 2015

I've lost count the amount of times I've traveled in and out of this airport, but I have been to all 3 terminals to review them here. Terminal 1: This is where all the other airlines (not low cost) flies out to and out from. Small considering its Abu Dhabi, where all the money is at. You are required to scan your luggage prior to check in and 'apparently' only passengers are allowed to go there, even if you're just there to buy flight tickets which is located inside. Only one small coffee shop before the immigration check for you to hang with your loved ones before you say goodbye. Inside the terminal past security, only few stores available, and all are tiny. Terminal 2: This is where the low costs airlines such as Rotana Jet flies in or out from. Terminal is tiny, looks like a ghost town with only one coffee shop that surprisingly has good food. Coming in to the terminal was another nightmare. I've flown in twice here and both times were jam packed. It's as if the queue is never ending. Terminal 3: This is where all the Etihad flights come in and out from. Much better than the other 2 terminals and you can actually check in at the counter with another person accompanying you. Shops inside the terminal passed immigration is better than Terminal 1, although still not as amazing as Dubai Terminal 3 or Doha airport. Still, not recommended for transit more than 3 hours. I had to give mix stars for this airport due to the different service quality that is displayed across different terminals. Oh and wifi was awful on all 3 terminals.
Date Visit14-06-2015
Terminal Seating N/A
Wifi Connectivity N/A
/10

Review by (Thailand) 15th June 2015

Avoid this airport whatever class you are flying. Overcrowded, rude staff, lack of clean toilets, long queues. Etihad call it their home!
/10

Review by (Australia) 15th June 2015

The most ridiculous experience at any airport. Get to gate 32 which is squeezed in a corner at the end of the floor and 1 hour out from boarding it is locked up. All there is is a tiny domestic sized lounge to sit on and wait. When staff eventually arrive there is another security screening with a manual bag search of every passenger to enter the gate lounge. No drinks purchased gate side of security are allowed into the sitting area so bottle just bought to drink while waiting goes in bin. No toilets once inside the gate either so onboard in an hour they are going to be popular! Basically if you are departing this gate you are trapped in a security hell. Avoid it at all costs. Not the way to end a long trip with many wonderful, efficient airlines and terminals. Though the Etihad airline experience has been good this part is just a bad joke. A reason to not fly Etihad via Abu Dhabi again.

Review by (India) 20th May 2015

Horrible airport. Baggage was lost because of airport mismanagement. Shoddily planned airport with some gates holed up in corner. Travel time between gates very high. Baggage handling very inadequate. Very confusing directions.

Review by (Australia) 6th May 2015

Sydney to London via Abu Dhabi with three hour stop over. Easy to navigate around airport staff very helpful shopping and food services adequate. Facilities very clean. Free wifi and plenty of charging stations for your phones. The only negative is that the air con is very cold you'll need to rug up!

Review by (South Africa) 2nd May 2015

Flew on SAA from Jo'burg to Abu Dhabi and we were over the airport when the captain announced we were 12th in the queue for landing with a resultant 40 minute circle before landing. Once in the immigration hall in terminal 1 another 70 minute queue. It is obvious the airport cannot cope with the increased traffic and the passenger experience becomes very poor. In the past my wife and I used Abu Dhabi rather than Dubai but I am having a serious rethink.

Review by (Ireland) 14th April 2015

Long queues at baggage staff kept wandering away from their posts to chat to other members of staff. Once we finally cleared it we walked to where a man checked your passport and ticket. Another long queue for this. Walked a few more meters where we had to queue again for someone else to check our passport! I have no idea why! I was travelling with a child and the man at the desk was rude to her as she had not got her passport opened at the correct page! An airport I have no intention of visiting again.

Review by (United Kingdom) 30th March 2015

When I arrived in Abu Dhabi from Bangkok it was early afternoon. Airport seemed empty. It didn't take that long to get through passport control even with a brief spell of getting lost and confused and also a stop off at the toilet - (although I do agree there may not be enough toilets) - Yes there was a queue at immigration but it didn't seem burdensomely long (probably about eight people in front of me). The official was polite and smiled. I was processed relatively quickly as indeed was everyone else. My rucksack came reasonably quickly on the carousel even though I was one of the last people to join the carousel. My vehicle transfer didn't show up. I was left wandering around the terminal building wondering what I was going to do. Eventually I was rescued by a kindly man who made a few enquiries on my behalf and very soon I was picked up and whisked to my hotel. My overriding memory of the airport was just how empty it was that and nothing else. As for duty frees - it's a smallish airport so I didn't expect to see all kinds of shops.

Review by (United Kingdom) 25th March 2015

Trying to kill 15 hours in this place since we just found out my wife is unable to leave the airport. She's a Thai citizen and the visa required to spend a few hours in Abu Dhabi will cost $70US and take 8 hours to arrange. Mine is free and instant. This information wasn't mentioned anywhere when we looked yesterday. This airport is very small and dull - especially compared to Dubai. Etihad gave us some free meal vouchers at the transport desk which was unexpected. Shame this means McDonalds or the pasta place next door. I ordered spaghetti bolognese but got chicken curry. Free wifi is a plus. Airport hotel is very expensive and fully booked. Not too busy at minute but was rammed on our last visit. Won't come back.

Review by (United Kingdom) 24th March 2015

A taxi driver suggested to us that roadworks are never really finished in Abu Dhabi. They finish it realise that is was done wrongly and re-do it. Well pretty soon someone will realise that AUH terminal 3 is wrong… It is narrow cramped with a ceiling that makes me (6ft’2”tall) uncomfortable. If you are using or planning to use Etihad and AUH as your hub please understand: this is not DXB Terminal 3. Not even a poor version of it. It feels like a toy airport. Quite unbelievable how bad it is. Even DMK (the old Bangkok airport) feels more spacious. Hope you will not need to use the toilets. They are disgusting. With Dubai and Qatar nearby I don't see the point of ever using AUH again. Etihad is not that great as an airline. Saving £50 here or there and having to transit through this is just not worth.