Top 100 Airports

Abu Dhabi Airport

"airport is grossly overcrowded"

We flew with Etihad for the first time this summer. Excellent flights but the utter shambles of Abu Dhabi airport means we will never fly Etihad again. The airport is grossly overcrowded. Having the misfortune to have to go through the transit area, walking no more than 100 yards to a throughly incompetent inefficient and chaotic "security scan" took 1 hour all the while in a dense crowd. Not for the claustrophobic, the frail, mothers carrying children or indeed any human being. Inadequate air con, a lot of shouting by the staff to each other and frankly utterly useless staff. This happened both ways, it completely ruined the journey and we could not wait to get onto the next flight out. Abu Dhabi is the worst airport we have ever been in by a very long way. The scan was hopeless and staff missed two bottles of water my husband forgot were in his hand luggage. Discovered when we unpacked at home.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"much too small for the traffic it has"

(Denmark)

Have been in transit in Abu Dhabi twice this summer. The airport seems much too small for the traffic it has. Very long trafficking time and bus service to most planes, even bigger long distance planes. It seemed chaotic and both times our plane was about half an hour delayed due to slow baggage handling. Even so, our luggage was delayed by 1 day both times. Signs are alright, but overall they don't seem to have it under control and I am very surprised to see this airport in the top 40 of 2016.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"no space for relaxation"

Insufficient space (airport far too small), only two bathrooms in the international zone, no space for relaxation for long waiting times. Staff shouting on the microphone continuously (and nothing can be understood for 90% of the time), flight delays. I prefer Etihad over Emirates but sorry, from now, I'll be travelling only through Dubai.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"inefficient queues at every step"

Abu Dhabi airport is badly designed and involves long, inefficient queues at every step. Haven't spent so long waiting in lines at an airport since LAX in peak hour. Also feels quite cramped overall with only Armani / Rolex level shops available. Given the great quality of Etihad, this airport falls far short of that standard.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"disinterested and rude staff"

Not a good experience at Abu Dhabi airport. No air bridge. A shuttle to take passengers to the terminal. Security was ok. Friendly and efficient. But after that, poor food choices, disinterested and rude staff, inadequate seating, unnecessary bureaucratic stamping of boarding passes before scanning them anyway. I got a good price in Ireland to Australia return but I'd pay more for a modern service. Disappointed.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"the airport lacked space"

First time I have travelled through Abu Dhabi. I found the airport lacked space, signage and basic customer service. Also on arrival on both trips we had to catch a bus to the terminal which added time to the transfer. I had lounge access but on entry I was told I could not access the lounge in this terminal and had to walk 15 minutes and a further 5 minutes from my departure gate to have access to an over crowed lounge. The boarding was ok but the PA announcements were in constant.
Date VisitJune 2016

"the airport has nothing to contribute"

Abu Dhabi Airport offers one of the worst travel experiences I have had. Shame they call Etihad the national carrier as the airport has nothing to contribute. From rude and disorganised staff to a food court that was a joke. More than 3 flights landed and the transit security had only 4 scanners running. Hence it taking nearly an hour to get through security. On top of that no air conditioning or fans in the security area. So a miserable start to experiencing Abu Dhabi. The food court was also dismal. Taking over 30 mins to order food at burger king. You had an excellent functioning neighbor in Dubai they should ask for some help.

"express my appreciation"

(Lebanon)

Verified Review | Thank you note for Abu Dhabi airport Security. Referring to my departure in Abu Dhabi airport on 26 May 2016 I would like to express my appreciation for the service provided. After putting all my stuff inside the checking point, i forgot my wallet and my mobile in the basket, after two minutes a security lady followed me with my stuff where I was completely shocked as it would be a disaster if i had lost them. I was very impressed. Thank you for your help which largely contributed to the success of my travel as without this I would really be in a big trouble.
Date VisitMay 2016

"can't imagine the prices dropping"

You expect to be ripped off a bit when you're at an airport, obviously rental costs for vendors are high, but Abu Dhabi takes this to a whole new level. AUD$7 (USD$5) for a small tub of take-away yogurt is a bit much. Want some chocolates? Be prepared to fork over about $4-$5 for a small bar. Didn't experience the overcrowding at the gate this time, but on our last trip there was about 1 seat per 2 people at the gate. The transfer between gates was no problems on either trip. Duty Free? Forget about it. Just wait until you get home and go to the most expensive retailer you can find for pretty much any product on offer. Lots of work going on, so you'd expect things to be improving, but I can't imagine the prices dropping anytime soon.
Date VisitJune 2016

"staff are rude and inefficient"

Abu Dhabi is easily the worst international airport I have used. We were in transit at from Amsterdam on our way to Bangkok, and it was a nightmare. Way too crowded, dirty toilets, hardly any seating facilities and to top it all, rude staff. I can't believe that this could even be a hub for a reputed international airline company. I know there's a new airport terminal on it's way, but how does one get over the experience of the old one which includes inefficient staff who will most probably be transferred to the new facility once it is ready? Security screening for transit passengers was long and arduous. Hardly any staff to control the surge. The security staff are rude and inefficient. They hardly care for customer experience. The smoking lounge opens up into the terminal building, and one can hardly tell the difference between the smoking area and the rest with the smell. Avoid this at all cost. Not sure if I would ever want to travel through this airport again.
Date VisitOctober 2015