Airline of the Year

Aberdeen Airport

"it never seems too crowded"

Verified Review | It may be a small airport but I like it. The very fact that you can smoke after security makes all the difference in the world. There is a decent selection of shops and it never seems too crowded. I would pay the £1 every time if it meant keeping the smoking area. To be honest if you knock on the door someone will open it anyway.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"Aberdeen airport is awful"

Verified Review | Aberdeen airport is awful. Like many regional airports it has been reorganised in its original footprint by people who are determined to maximise the inconvenience of passengers (just like Stansted, Manchester, Edinburgh, Gatwick et al). It is cheap and nasty. The security area is appalling with a bottleneck deliberately created into a single scanner that invariably goes off requiring a 360 degree body scan and removal of shoes (not required at LHR in identical circumstances). The scan detected an issue with my shirt cuffs which I could understand if I had been wearing metal cufflinks but there was a button that seemed to be the issue that was not even inspected I was just told 'that's ok'. Multiply this by people in the queue and hey presto that is why there is a queue. Now I know all the safety stuff is important but this seems ridiculous and inconsistent. The exit from the security area is a narrow chicane so agian it just adds to congestion. Airside is dismal with not enough seats and filthy and limited toilet facilities. There are plenty of security guards (why?) and airport staff sitting about but clearly no effective management. All-in-all a pitiful example of a regional airport that poorly serves the area and any passenger unfortunate enough to travel through it. I am not sure who owns it but whoever does should be ashamed.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"most-unfriendly security staff"

(Austria)

Verified Review | I am very disappointed with customer service at Aberdeen airport. We had to fly with family to Aberdeen. Which is in fact a very nice city. Unfortunately the airport is not. We had problems with the baby food to get through security check, which is in principle allowed to all security regulations (EU and local). Staff were not only unfriendly but very rude. And when asking for their ID numbers, they refused and turned around the ID cards so that I cannot read them. Unfortunately, we were left with a crying and hungry baby. We sent a complaint about airport security staff and a few weeks later we got a letter of excuse. Poor service. I will avoid Aberdeen airport at any cost and will fly via Edinburgh.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"one of the worst airports anywhere"

I'm unlucky to have this as my local airport and have travelled through it hundreds of times over the last 30 years. It is without doubt one of the worst airports anywhere - nothing about it is good and it winds me up every time I use it. Despite the city having been one of the most prosperous places in the UK over the decades, the airport is an absolute disgrace and embarrassment. From the crazy £2 dropoff charge or £28 per day car parking, the tiny check-in area, stupidly designed security area promoting maximum queues, very small departures area with inevitable long queues for food and drink, lack of airbridges and having to walk across the runway to board in all weathers - and on arrival, a ridiculous revolving door for only 3 people at a time ensuring maximum inconvenience to passengers, the laughable baggage reclaim area and slow baggage delivery, the whole place is awful. It's currently being 'done up' but that probably means taking 12 months to fit a new vending machine. Dreadful in every way.
Date VisitOctober 2016

"shambles and an embarrassment"

Aberdeen airport is an huge shambles and an embarrassment to the city. My wife and I arrived on Sunday 25th Sept and it took. 45 minutes for the cases to start traveling on the dead end road to knowhere transport belt then after finally collecting our cases we found out that we were locked into the exit area and could not move because of a locked exit door. 15 minutes later the door was opened and while we were exiting I asked the gentleman at the door what the hold up was and he said what do you mean? I said we have just waited 45 minutes for our bags and 15 minutes for the door to be opened. His reply was "nothing to do with me and you need to take that up with Swissport!" I have travelled on business through ABZ for the last 40 years and the experience has got worse and worse, the place is a total shambles. Then onto the taxi rank which has moved across the road, very lucky for us the weather was dry but if it had been raining then - welcome to Aberdeen. It's a terrible experience and trust me I have been to many many places in the world and I'm ashamed of this place as it's my home town.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"inefficient security systems"

I was very disappointed by my experience at Aberdeen airport today. There was a 40 minute queue to get through security. There seemed to be 2 queues with some people allowed into a smaller queue for no particular reason. There was no one involved in instructing passengers and no organisation through bag security and therefore ridiculously slow and chaotic. It was one of the most inefficient security systems I have passed through. Not enough seating in the departure lounge for everyone and the seats that are there look shabby. Pretty poor.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"continually depressed by the poor facilities"

Travelling weekly (like a large number of people that use Aberdeen Airport), one is continually depressed by the poor facilities, poor rate of security checking given the numbers, and depressingly poor punctuality of flights. The number of flights from Aberdeen continues to reduce, this despite all flights I have been on in the last 6 months (except Icelandair) being full plane loads. While other airports such as Edinburgh, Newcastle and other regional airports throughout the UK and international flight numbers have mushroomed in the last 20 years, Aberdeen has failed, in all areas, (only attracting Icelandair and Lufthansa). Many people living south of Aberdeen now prefer to travel to Edinburgh to fly. One questions how much longer easyJet will fly to Aberdeen given they are dropping mid week flights and only generally fly in evening with typical lateness of over 1 hour in last 3 months on Luton route.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"customer service non existent"

First time at Airport since December 2013. Very disappointed. The building was extremely busy. The departure lounge is terrible. The café was very poor. Customer service non existent. The terminal is not fit for purpose. I am aware that renovations are underway. On our return we entered the terminal walked along a corridor then outside again before re-entering a portacabin. The weather was dry but if raining then very poor experience for passengers arriving. The baggage reclaim is woeful. Not a positive experience for passengers arriving in Scotland for the first time. We were travelling to Norway so this was the least expensive option to fly but in future I will choose an alternative airport.
Date VisitMay 2016

"security is abysmal"

I use this airport weekly and the security is abysmal, every visit their 'rules' and requests are different, not much wonder the queues are so long when what was good last Monday is different on Sunday. When I asked why I was told because it was metal and would set the alarm off and I would be searched. On mentioning it has never set an alarm off and if I did and had to be searched it was not a problem my trays were rudely dumped at the side and I was told I could try the other queue. People try to prepare to get through as smoothly as possible to get off the wall additional requests at a whim causes delays with no real improvement in safety. I was reliably told they like to do it so that people don't know what they will check and as a result they get the 'best marks' in the UK. Interesting having been on a recent flight seeing someone with several lighters full of lighter fluid, also breaking another of their rules with no sealed plastic bag in sight? More likely they weren't prepared to back down.
Date VisitMay 2016

"a terrible airport"

Travelling from Aberdeen to South Africa with Air France via Paris. Flight to Paris cancelled. Airport staff didn't have a clue what to do. One person trying to sort out rebooking so stood there for hours before I eventually went home and sorted it out myself. Not enough seating even if one small flight is cancelled. On return the international arrivals set up up is like something you'd expect in a third world country. Antiquated baggage handling facilities and disgusting toilets in a portacabin. Use Edinburgh or Glasgow. This is a terrible airport, in Europe's oil capital. Who is kidding who?
Date VisitMarch 2016