Xiamen Airlines

Staff Service N/A
Value for Money N/A

"Such a rubbish airline"

(China)

Verified Review | Beijing to Xiamen. Such a rubbish airline, first they cancelled my flight without offering compensation. Then I tried to reason with their agency, they said they recommend I asked for a full refund. Is that a joke? I was at the airport and they wanted me to refund. I then insisted that I change to the other flight, which was scheduled to depart at 20:05 but we waited more than 5 hours due to air traffic control. Can't really trust the airline, especially you're dealing with state-owned airlines, and they don't obey by rules set out by international standard.
RouteBeijing to Xiamen
Date FlownAugust 2017

"Boeing 787-8 was new"

Verified Review | Seattle to Shenzhen. Check-In was quick. Boarding commenced slightly late but was controlled and orderly. The Boeing 787-8 was new and a bit squeaky. The seat had a 17 inch width and 32-33 inches of pitch. The seat had a cup holder, remote, USB and AC power ports and a fairly large personal screen. The selection of content was decent but a lack of Western movies and appealing Eastern movies could be improved. The food served was good and a decent portion was served. The crew were quite sincere and attentive to all calls, Their English was okay for interactions but not too great over the PA.
RouteSeattle to Shenzhen
Date FlownJuly 2017

"delay is prolonged, unpredictable"

Verified Review | Quanzhou to Beijing. The airline lured us into boarding and held us in the cabin for more than a few hours. Initially, they announced the aircraft would push back to the tarmac in 10 minutes, which didn't happen. Then I confronted a member of cabin crew and he kept saying it was the tower controller who had said the plane would push back in 10 mins and then told us to wait. The lack of transparency, coupled with highly restricted air traffic by military has tarnished this airline's reputation. Never fly on Chinese domestic routes if you had a choice. The delay is prolonged, unpredictable and not compensated for.
RouteQuanzhou to Beijing
Date FlownJuly 2017

"English skill needs improvement"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Xiamen. The flight was delayed due to unknown reason. The aircraft is relatively new, bright, clean and modern. The interior was specially decorated for this inauguration flight with LAX symbols. The crews welcomed us with big smiles and everyone gets a little gift for the inauguration flight. They personal entertainment system has a large screen, and the system worked just as I wanted without struggle. A safety card, two magazines and a menu in the pocket; a blanket and a bottle of water on the seat. But the menu missed a translation for breakfast. The food is not bad but can be improved. The crew were trying to act as friendly, but lacked some sincereness, but they did a great job. Their English skill really needs improvement. As a Chinese airline they followed the CAAC rule, which restricted people to use their laptops and other devices only when the aircraft reached cruising attitude and didn't allow passengers to switch on their phones at all. And they locked the 787 windows to a certain brightness which make them impossible to adjust by passengers. Another problem is that I had a transfer flight at XMN, but I had to pick up my luggage and recheck it again.
RouteLos Angeles to Xiamen
Date FlownJune 2017

"should be more transparent"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Xiamen. Upon arriving at HKG airport, my gate was still unannounced. I spoke with the airline representative many times, as did other passengers, and nothing was posted on the departure board about our takeoff or a delay or any gate. Even after scheduled departure time there hadn't been any notifications of a delay. Finally, we were told which gate to go to. We boarded the plane two hours late and had to wait 30 minutes more as the flight attendant said it took that long to load the luggage (even though less than half of the plane was full). When my phone died, I asked an attendant if they could help me to charge it as I didn't know the Chinese name of my hotel in Xiamen. He refused several times until I was very persistent that it would not had died if I had not waited so long for the flight. Landing was smooth but on the way back the same issues existed, all the while announcements on the speaker mentioned how important guests were to Xiamen Airlines. I didn't feel that at all. The staff should be more transparent and clear with guests about delays and procedures, as delays of that magnitude require changes in planning and sometimes result in losses.
RouteHong Kong to Xiamen
Date FlownJuly 2017

"polite and helpful cabin crew"

Verified Review | Amsterdam to Changsha via Xiamen.I'd never heard of this airline before this trip. I have to say that I was delighted. Very polite and helpful cabin crew. Other reviewers mentioned that their English was poor, but I didn't have any difficulty. Food and drink were very good and IFE was better than I had anticipated - not great (nothing like Emirates, for example), but good, recent international films. The seat lies flat and allowed me (6 ft / 183 cm height) to stretch out comfortably. No wifi and phones have to be switched off, as per Chinese Govt rules. But using a tablet in airline mode is OK. There is an electric socket at the seat and it was enough to power my fairly large laptop. I would fly with them again. The 2nd sector was internal from Xiamen to Changsha. Once again, excellent service and good authentic Chinese food. No IFE, of course, being a short sector, so they left the TV on instead (so bring earplugs or headphones if you don't want to be bothered by it. That was the only strange aspect of the flight.
AircraftBoeing 787 / 737-800
RouteAmsterdam to Changsha via Xiamen

"Service was great"

Verified Review | Vancouver to Ho Chi Minh via Xiamen. Sat in Business class on outbound and regular economy seats on the return. Service was great, they did not understand everything in English however they knew enough. Food was good. Seats were fine for a overseas flight.
RouteVancouver to Ho Chi Minh via Xiamen
Date FlownMay 2017

"communication is not maintained"

Verified Review | Tianjin to Fuzhou with Xiamen Airlines. The airline lured us into boarding and we were kept on the aircraft for over an hour without any announcements, which is shameful. This airline prides itself on proving the best service in China, however this has not been the case for me, the basis communication between them and passengers is not maintained, raising many questions of how any news being delivered in a transparent way.
RouteTianjin to Fuzhou
Date FlownJune 2017

"friendly flight attendants"

Verified Review | Amsterdam to Seoul via Xiamen. I booked a flight from Amsterdam to Incheon and had never heard of Xiamen Air before. Great service, friendly flight attendants, tasty food (chose the Asion options), and modern, spacious aircraft. I had 1 very tight layover in Xiamen due to construction work at the airport. The ground staff at Incheon provided us with all necessary information and the staff at Xiamen helped us through all the security steps and got us in the airplane on time. The other layover was long (10 hrs), but they provided a free transfer lounge and free hotel stay. FYI: foreign credit cards don't work in Xiamen restaurants, so bring/exchange RMB.
RouteAmsterdam to Seoul via Xiamen

"Super cheap tickets"

Verified Review | Seattle to Tokyo via Shenzhen & Xiamen. Super cheap tickets, lack of information before and during trip, some airport confusion if you're really out of it or don't speak Chinese. They provide a hotel if flying all legs of trip on Xiamen Airlines with overnight layover, entertainment and food caters to Chinese tastes. I speak Mandarin, so I rate this flight a 8/10. Screaming deal of a ticket booked in 12/2016. Super nervous after receiving email in January 2017 of seat cancellation for the first leg of my trip (Seattle-Shenzhen). Customer service doesn't speak English. Got a call back in Chinese (my Chinese is ok, but not my first language) and took about 30 minutes plus another 30 minute call back to realize that the seat No I requested was cancelled and not the seat on the flight. Over next few months, received a few more e-mails stating that flight times had changed, even though they were the same as when we booked them. Still felt insecure about whether or not our trip would really happen. No online check-in for foreigners. We show up at the airport and have an easy check-in. Heard that Xiamen Air provides a hotel which the airport staff confirmed. Arrived at Shenzhen to some chaos - they separate the transfers passengers, people are confused as to where to go, but are shepherded by the Xiamen air staff. Waited about 45 minutes with several other foreigners to get my boyfriend's 24-hour transit visa which allows him to leave the airport. Disembarked at Xiamen, shepherded again by the staff to pick up our baggage. Many of the foreign passengers did not know about the hotel that Xiamen air provided us with, since we all arrived around 9pm and had connecting flights in the morning. They expected to sleep on the floor of the airport. Followed signs to the reception desk that makes lodging arrangements. Showed our passports and tickets and provided with a room at the E-Charm Hotel in Xiamen. If you are travelling alone, they will pair you with someone of the same gender. The hotel is about 10 minutes away from the airport and costs about 15 RMB one way. Although the room provided was free, we had to cover our travel expense both ways to and from the hotel. I think this is strange. If you are only going to and from the hotel, the cash machines up on level 2 allow you to take out 100 RMB. Hotel was nice for Chinese standards! Continued to Tokyo in the morning. Flights were all around ok - seats were good enough, entertainment and meals were Chinese oriented - we ordered vegetarian meals. They were stingy on the drinks and don't add ice unless you ask. Warm beers on international flights, but grab them early.
RouteSeattle to Tokyo via Shenzhen & Xiamen