Xiamen Airlines

"Avoid this airline"

Trip Verified | Manila to Los Angeles via Jingdiang / Quingdao. I have never taken the time to write a negative review in my life. Call me old fashioned, but I just do not care enough to complain online for other people to read. I booked a one way return flight on Xiamen a week or so ago from Manila to LAX with two layovers in China. I have flown with China Eastern, China Southern, Air China and China Airlines, so I thought nothing of it. Another pass through China and I would be in Los Angeles for my mothers birthday on the 16th. Upon arriving to the airport 2 hours early and checking in I was notified I could not board my flight because I didn't have proper clearance. I explained to the rep that I had no plans of entering CHINA and would only be passing through. Still not allowed. I explained I had been through China 4 times on layovers and never had an issue. Still not allowed. Long story short it took two hours arguing for the airlines to agree to a 30-60 day refund. It turns out Americans cant connect through their layover city so they are selling tickets that are unusable. No compensation. Just blank faced souless stares. Avoid this airline at all costs.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteManila to Los Angeles via Jingdiang / Quingdao
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"It was a nightmare!"

Trip Verified | It was a nightmare! We are suppose to have fun traveling for Christmas vacation but turned out to be a disaster. We are going back to Philippines, our luggage were check in only up to Giandong. We have to go to immigration then get our luggage to check in going to Xiamen. Boarding pass were issued again going only to Xiamen. From Xiamen you have to go out then scan your hand carry for another scanning then get into a long line to get another boarding pass going to Manila. Cheap air fare but think if the hassle and exhaustion you will go through if you take this airline back home. I’m very tired and almost 24 hours in and out of the airport. My husband tried to get the early flight as chance passenger, without checking she said everything is taken. You have to wait for your flight .
RouteLos Angeles to Manila via Xiamen
Date FlownDecember 2017

"I am extremely disappointed"

Trip Verified | I booked my flight using eDreams from Singapore to Los Angeles via Xiamen and the ticket I got was as follows Singapore to Los Angeles via Xiamen (Layover 2h 35mins) Los Angeles to Singapore United (Direct Flight). I hold a valid USA visa and thus was all set to board the flight. When I reached the airport at the counter I was told by the staff that in order to take the Xiamen flight I need to have a China Visa (There is some rule where people from 7 countries in the world need to do when transiting via Xiamen). I asked the airline staff that I was not given any prompt at the time of booking nor is any such requirement mentioned on Xiamen website and on the internet however I was not helped. In order to not spoil my families vacation I bought a one way ticket to USA on another airline. I was not reimbursed for my original ticket let alone any compensation for my new booking. I've been contacting Xiamen Airlines about why is this rule not mentioned on their website as it is such a unique requirement however they're unable to respond to me properly. In their defence they're quoting the requirement of need of a visa for China for people from all over the world except for 51 specific countries if you want to transit for less than 3 days however my case is different. I just had a layover of 2 hour and 35 minutes. I am extremely disappointed and would not recommend anyone to take this airline as their staff is not helpful and neither is their customer service.==
AircraftMF852
RouteSingapore to Los Angeles via Xiamen
Date FlownDecember 2017

"I missed my flight"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Manila via Xiamen. I missed my flight due to confusing schedule (12:15am), I went to the airport 3 hours within the same day (unfortunately I was told by the lady at the airline counter that I was late to my flight! And it was supposed to be there the earliest day or before midnight of that day!!). Instead of helping me by providing assistance, I was told to buy a new ticket or "Go home!" I tried to talk to them but nobody helped me at all and they did not give me a chance to get the ticket rebooked/rescheduled, not even try to refund my ticket nor provided a discount for my new ticket. I will not recommend Xiamen Airline at all.
RouteLos Angeles to Manila via Xiamen
Date FlownNovember 2017

"worst part was the layover in Xiamen"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Bangkok via Xiamen. It was not the overly-friendly skies, especially on the shorter flight, but the snacks, food and beverage were OK. Another review reminded me of the barely audible English announcements (use headphones to hear it). The seats and legroom seem average. The Boeing 787 for the LAX-XMN segment is a nice, new aircraft. The entertainment system had a small selection of music and movies, which were adequate. Emirates scores better there! The website is hard to use, and changes seemed impossible. But I successfully purchased a ticket. If I purchased again, I would be certain everything is perfect before clicking Submit. I'm hesitant to call "customer service" as English is not their main language, and rules over customer satisfaction seem to be the situation. The worst part of the flight was the layover in Xiamen, China. Border control entry is required, followed by departure control. This is slow and time consuming. Re-entering security is very strict. Every passenger is wanded after passing the magnetometers. My baggage scan revealed two small Bic lighters, which were confiscated. Any lithium batteries in checked bags are likely to be removed. The airport is years behind many International airports, and is hard to spend time in. However, long layovers can qualify you for a hotel room (+5 hours), a city tour, or the lounge on the lowest level - with free Wi-Fi. The lounge was quite basic and drab. Hard to call it a "benefit". A room in the back had cots. In the airport, I was twice offered working iPhones for cash. With a landing announcement that mentions contacting quarantine if you're ill, including headaches, nausea or diarrhea, and the scrutiny upon entry and exit, I don't advise buying black market iPhones. The ticket price was very competitive. If they improved the layover experience at their airport in Xiamen, it might be worth the savings.
AircraftBoeing 787 / A321
RouteLos Angeles to Bangkok via Xiamen
Date FlownNovember 2017

"crew looked tired"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | Flight left about 30 minutes late, which is much less of a delay than usual. Crew looked tired as this was an evening flight. Crew English announcements still not really understandable through PA. No comment from cockpit crew as is usual with international airlines. Extremely hard landing in HKG (no noticeable weather or turbulence). No comment from the cockpit crew again. They still have a long way to go in my opinion to be on par with international airlines. Sometimes hearing the crew's voice in understandable English (since this is an international sector) would help.
RouteXiamen to Hong Kong
Date FlownOctober 2017

"Such a rubbish airline"

(China)

Verified Review | Beijing to Xiamen. Such a rubbish airline, first they cancelled my flight without offering compensation. Then I tried to reason with their agency, they said they recommend I asked for a full refund. Is that a joke? I was at the airport and they wanted me to refund. I then insisted that I change to the other flight, which was scheduled to depart at 20:05 but we waited more than 5 hours due to air traffic control. Can't really trust the airline, especially you're dealing with state-owned airlines, and they don't obey by rules set out by international standard.
RouteBeijing to Xiamen
Date FlownAugust 2017

"Boeing 787-8 was new"

Verified Review | Seattle to Shenzhen. Check-In was quick. Boarding commenced slightly late but was controlled and orderly. The Boeing 787-8 was new and a bit squeaky. The seat had a 17 inch width and 32-33 inches of pitch. The seat had a cup holder, remote, USB and AC power ports and a fairly large personal screen. The selection of content was decent but a lack of Western movies and appealing Eastern movies could be improved. The food served was good and a decent portion was served. The crew were quite sincere and attentive to all calls, Their English was okay for interactions but not too great over the PA.
RouteSeattle to Shenzhen
Date FlownJuly 2017

"delay is prolonged, unpredictable"

Verified Review | Quanzhou to Beijing. The airline lured us into boarding and held us in the cabin for more than a few hours. Initially, they announced the aircraft would push back to the tarmac in 10 minutes, which didn't happen. Then I confronted a member of cabin crew and he kept saying it was the tower controller who had said the plane would push back in 10 mins and then told us to wait. The lack of transparency, coupled with highly restricted air traffic by military has tarnished this airline's reputation. Never fly on Chinese domestic routes if you had a choice. The delay is prolonged, unpredictable and not compensated for.
RouteQuanzhou to Beijing
Date FlownJuly 2017

"English skill needs improvement"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Xiamen. The flight was delayed due to unknown reason. The aircraft is relatively new, bright, clean and modern. The interior was specially decorated for this inauguration flight with LAX symbols. The crews welcomed us with big smiles and everyone gets a little gift for the inauguration flight. They personal entertainment system has a large screen, and the system worked just as I wanted without struggle. A safety card, two magazines and a menu in the pocket; a blanket and a bottle of water on the seat. But the menu missed a translation for breakfast. The food is not bad but can be improved. The crew were trying to act as friendly, but lacked some sincereness, but they did a great job. Their English skill really needs improvement. As a Chinese airline they followed the CAAC rule, which restricted people to use their laptops and other devices only when the aircraft reached cruising attitude and didn't allow passengers to switch on their phones at all. And they locked the 787 windows to a certain brightness which make them impossible to adjust by passengers. Another problem is that I had a transfer flight at XMN, but I had to pick up my luggage and recheck it again.
RouteLos Angeles to Xiamen