Airline of the Year

Xiamen Airlines

"it was a satisfactory flight"

(China)

Verified Review | Dalian to Hangzhou. The plane was estimated to take off at 9:45 am, and we boarded the plane at about 9:20, then sat for one and a half hours until it took off but didn't know the reason! Other than that, all was good. The luggage rack was lit up by the blue lights and the seats were all blue which made the flight enjoyable and pleasant. The cabin crew were friendly and attentive. And the food was delicious: pork/fish rice, bread with chili sauce, cake and yogurt. All in all, it was a satisfactory flight.
RouteDalian to Hangzhou
Date FlownMay 2017

"embarrassing, stressful situation"

Verified Review | Vancouver to Hong Kong via Xiamen. I arrived early at the airport, before the check in booth opened. Waited in line for over an hour and chatted with other passengers in front of me during that time. When I arrived at the counter, the check in clerk asked me where did I come from. I assumed she meant something about which line so I said this line, the same one as the people you just checked in. She said that I was in the wrong line and that I had to go to the back of the other line (for the other check in booth). I wondered if she thought I had cut in line or something so I told her if she had this type of doubt she should ask the people (who were still standing next to me) if I had been in their line all the time. She refused and told me to go to the back of the other line again and then proceeded to check in the next person in line. I was the last one to check in after waiting an additional 30 - 40 minutes. By this time, it was so close to boarding that I had to run to security and then run to the boarding gate as the plane was already boarding. I had to skip going to duty free to pick up things for my friends in China as I had promised. Even though I had to use the washroom, there was no time for that. No time to grab a snack or drink. It was the most embarrassing, stressful situations I have experienced in a very long time. Actually I can't remember ever being treated like that before. The airlines bounced my complaint back and forth between the Vancouver and Xiamen offices and finally put the blame on me, saying that if I had told her which line I was in this wouldn't have happened. What nonsense. Of course I told her that but she just ignored me and refused to serve me. I can understand a company hiring a bad employee but to back that person up when they know she was wrong, is inexcusable.
RouteVancouver to Hong Kong via Xiamen
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"not book a flight on this airline"

Verified Review | My wife and I booked a flight for May 2017 from Portland to Shenzhen via Seattle. After 2 months, Xiamen notified us that our flight from Seattle to Shenzhen had been cancelled. We had to re-book our flight with Delta at a higher price $686.00 per ticket on Xiamen vs. $891.00 per ticket on Delta or $205.00 more per ticket. Furthermore, our new flight only takes us to Hong Kong, which will cost us more even more money with van transfers and taxis. I would recommend that you not book a flight on this airline, as they are not reliable and will leave you stranded.
RouteSeattle to Shenzhen
Date FlownApril 2017

"very low quality of service"

Verified Review | First time took direct flight from Singapore to Xiamen, horrible experience with the cabin crew as they treat everyone like prisoner, very bad service, small leg room and food was terrible, I thought return trip will be better as it will be served by other crews but the experience was pretty awful. Remember this is not low cost airline, but they provide very low quality of service, no individual display on each deck, phone must switch off even after seatbelt sign switch-off, no entertaintment for 5 hours on my last trip, only served drink for once, strongly not recommended to take this airline if situation is allowed.
RouteSingapore to Xiamen
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"won't be flying Xiamen again"

Verified Review | Vancouver to Sydney via Xiamen. I traveled with Xiamen Airlines for the first and last time over December/January. Originally flying from Sydney to Vancouver via Xiamen in December and back to Sydney Via Xiamen in January. All flights were on new Boeing 787's. The flights were extremely full, probably due to the fact it was just under $650 one way on Christmas Eve. That was probably the only appealing thing from the trip. The aircraft inside were rather dirty, finger prints and grease all over the windows, the cabin had an aweful smell as well. The seat space was okay. The inflight entertainment was updated and had a good selection. The food was nothing to get excited about, and the crew only came twice during the whole flight which is below the amount of times they come on other services I've flown between Sydney and Vancouver. The crew overall were okay, spoke hardly any English and weren't apologetic if they hit you with the trolley. The layover in Xiamen both ways was a complete nightmare - no one at the airport speaks English, and even if you are transiting immigration seem to have no idea what the process is and take a long time to process you as you have no visa. I won't be flying Xiamen again.
RouteYVR to SYD via XMN
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"cabin smelt of cigarettes"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | Bangkok to Fuzhou return. I had no idea what to expect on Xiamen Airlines. During check-in at Bangkok, The counter was empty. The lounge in Bangkok was Air France, and more than satisfactory. The boarding was orderly and not too chaotic. The purser at the door was smiling, but when I said hello, no response whatsoever. (ot even eye contact. Boarding drinks served promptly. You can't use mobile phones (Chinese law, which is silly). There was no in-flight entertainment, so I just played my iPad. The flight attendant was polite, made eye contact and was smiling. Her attempts at speaking english were OK, she was just following the script. The previous reviews that mentioned "The meals were the same both ways" meant that both flights had the same choices. It was just a difference in entree, fish or beef. The side dishes were exactly the same. Their way of cost-cutting, I presume. After meal service, the flight attendant left a bowl of mixed nuts and my drink. The return flight was the exact opposite. Bangkok to Fuzhou sector had 30% occupancy, while the return sector had 100% occupancy. The lounge at Fuzhou airport was surprising for Chinese standards, but no alcohol! Boarding was orderly, but after take-off, a first-time flyer from the economy cabin trespassed into the business cabin and asked me "Is this seat available?" and I said no. The same unruly passenger proceeded to annoy the business class flight attendants but they dealt with him professionally. The seat was uncomfortable both ways. The Boeing 737-700 had very restrictive seating, but ample space. The Boeing 737-800 had comfortable seating, but I had to bend my head during take-off and landing since there was this bulging solid piece of rubber in the headrest. The cabin smelt of cigarettes or someone was smoking before the flight.
AircraftBoeing 737-700/800
RouteBKK to FOC
Date FlownNovember 2016

"Value for money great"

Singapore to Fuzhou. Value for money great, as Xiamen Airlines is the only airline that serves this route. Ground service acceptable, most of their flight attendants can speak basic English. Seat preferred it to be a little more comfortable. Cabin Service average, offered hot towels which are too hot to touch. Food & beverages better than expected. Inflight entertainment average, offered headphones for music which was acceptable.
RouteSIN to FOC
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"staff barely speak English"

Verified Review | Wuhan to Amsterdam via Xiamen. My flight was cancelled due to bad weather conditions. The company sent me an email in Chinese stating that I had to rebook my flight but without giving any option of possible different solution. Once at the airport they were surprised I was asking to be rebooked on another flight and/or reimbursed. I'm going to try to follow up on this and see if I can get something, but in general I didn't like the way they handle the problem, they didn't care about leaving people at the airport without any support. In addition both the airport and the cabin staff barely speak English, so it's very hard to communicate with them.
RouteWUH to AMS via XMN
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"good seat pitch, up-to-date IFE"

Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur via Xiamen. Flew with Xiamen Air and I'm really satisfied. Kind crew, sufficient command of English, good seat pitch, up-to-date IFE and choice between Chinese or Western food. What really stands out is the free hotel when your layover is more than 6 hours, your connecting flight is outside China and both flights are operated by Xiamen Air. It was well arranged, all passengers who comply with the rules were on a list and we got a confirmation in Chinese so that the taxi driver could read it. You have to pay for the taxi ride, but that is only 40 yuan. They have several hotels under contract, our first one was a 5-star hotel and the second one a 3-star. The only thing you have to do is to proceed to counter B11 (upstairs) after clearing customs.
RouteAMS to KUL via XMN
Date FlownAugust 2016

"impression of journey was beyond expectations"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Beijing via Xiamen with Xiamen Air (MF). Xiamen Air has just started intercontinental routes. I took this itinerary, as I was interested to see their transfer service. Outbound flights from HKG to PEK via XMN was smooth. HKG to XMN was a new B738, they provide light meal for this 50min flight. XMN to PEK with Boeing 788, PTV with good selection of movies, songs. Seats are comfortable. Inflight service was good, FAs were attentive. Xiamen Air has hotel arrangement if your connection is overnight. However, the hotel is not around the airport, and the hotel did not meet a 4-star hotel standard (which is claimed). For First, Business class, Skyteam Elite, Elite plus member, they provide your own room. For Economy, you will have to share with others! XMN lounge at domestic sector meets an average standard providing Chinese cuisine, fruits and drinks, but choices at breakfast time are limited. Inbound flights from PEK to HKG via XMN with a 2-hour connection. Flight PEK-XMN was delayed and I was worried about missing my connection to HKG wihch was the last of the day. The customer service manager at PEK did a good job. Before he stepped in, I was not happy with the way they dealt with my concerns and the delay. He coordinated with his colleagues at XMN, and also prepared backup plan for me. The flight to XMN took off 2-hour behind schedule using a B757. Onboard services were good, but ground services at XMN for transfer was not very clear, a lack of guidance and communications. MF lounge at XMN international section has no added-value, small and crowed. Overall impression on this journey was above my expectations, I will definitely choose Xiamen Air again. But as a new player for transfer and intercontinental market, the service at XMN, could do better comparing to its competitors.
AircraftBoeing 738 / 787 / 757